Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Please somebody actually run the dungeon meshi game
Not on Mondays or Fridays though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyway, Dungeon World or Basic D&D are probably the systems you want to run for a game that is essentially just going to be traditional D&D dungeon-crawling but also you eat the monsters. Dungeon World is less crunchy but it's going to be trivial to whip up a couple of moves for cooking/eating monsters, Basic is a "proper" oldschool system if that's more your boat but it won't be anywhere near as easy to create rules for eating stuff because it's rules-heavy in comparison, so you probably just want to have it as narrative flavour.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Tarranon posted:

I hate ougi!!!!!!

How could you hate Ougi?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ha ha multicultural holy water.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
hello

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Anyway, Dungeon World or Basic D&D are probably the systems you want to run for a game that is essentially just going to be traditional D&D dungeon-crawling but also you eat the monsters. Dungeon World is less crunchy but it's going to be trivial to whip up a couple of moves for cooking/eating monsters, Basic is a "proper" oldschool system if that's more your boat but it won't be anywhere near as easy to create rules for eating stuff because it's rules-heavy in comparison, so you probably just want to have it as narrative flavour.
Guess I'll look into Dungeon World then.

everythingWasBees posted:

Please somebody actually run the dungeon meshi game
Not on Mondays or Fridays though
Probably won't happen for awhile yet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Strike! is way better than DW because while it's way less cruncher than D&D it has cool tactical combat. I run a game with Bees and Countblanc on that system.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Ha ha multicultural holy water.

i kicked the bathroom wastebucket in radiata stories and got holy water

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Other option if you care more about having rules for travelling places and overcoming obstacles than you do about checking for traps in rooms that are 10'*10': hack Mouse Guard to replace the seasonal stuff with dungeon travel stuff.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Knorth posted:

How could you hate Ougi?

She's up to no good, mark my words!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Guess I'll look into Dungeon World then.

Don't. Look at Goon-made™ game Strike!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Strike! is way better than DW because while it's way less cruncher than D&D it has cool tactical combat. I run a game with Bees and Countblanc on that system.

I don't think it's better but that's a valid point. If you want tactical combat, Dungeon World won't be something you like so Strike! or D&D 4E or maybe even 13th Age might be more up your alleys.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh yeah and while I'm at it, the Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard guys put out an oldschool dungeon-crawling game called Torchbearer which is supposed to be pretty good, if very crunchy in the "track how many days' worth of rations you have and check the treasure's weight against your encumbrance" kind of way. That's probably worth at least checking out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Don't. Look at Goon-made™ game Strike!
I'll look into both of them, though I think I lost the link to the Strike! site Bees linked me over steam.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Tarranon posted:

She's up to no good, mark my words!!

I'd believe that

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tactical combat does wonders to keep it fresh instead of DW's borefest imho

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Isn't Strike! based off Final Fantasy Tactics?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
She's gunna be mysterious and stylish all the while though

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

It's one of the sources but yeah, the game I GM is straight up based on Tactics Advance!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Dungeons & Dipshits.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bees plays as a guy(girl?) who thinks they are a moogle

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

It started out as a 4E clone, but I don't know how much it's deviated since those days, so that's probably where some of it comes from.

Tactical combat does wonders to keep it fresh instead of DW's borefest imho

Combat in DW is anything but boring, but it's also almost purely narrative, so some people won't like it. Like everything else PbtA it's a narrative-first game and not a mechanics-first game.

e; if you go into DW expecting detailed inventory management and combat where positioning matters and nuanced mechanical results off using your attacks you're going to be disappointed, that's absolutely not what it's about. It's a game about telling a story about the cool way your fighter stabs the orcs and maybe occasionally having to roll to see if the orcs get to attack you in the process.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 4, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bees plays as a guy(girl?) who thinks they are a moogle
bees...
*audience bursts into laughter*

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Knorth posted:

she is cool and unsettling af

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I want to watch Owarimonogatari but I have to do dishes!!! :argh:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

The sales lady got me.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

NotALizardman posted:

I want to watch Owarimonogatari but I have to do dishes!!! :argh:

that takes like 5 minutes

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Not when you're cleaning up after 4 other pigs!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

that takes like 5 minutes

5 minutes not watching anime!!! Who could survive such a trial???

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Consider living with adults.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The sales lady got me.

That dude so dumb but his bae so cute.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Both of them

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Both of them

I feel bad for his first girlfriend

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

That dude so dumb but his bae so cute.

:yeah:

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

yes please

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best snafu girl incoming in 3... 2... 1...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

i remember reading a few chapters of this. the roommate girl is good

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry Corals posted:

i remember reading a few chapters of this. the roommate girl is good

It's really short. you might as well finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

this is fine

• Locked thread