Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Their BA Barleywine is fantastic. I've yet to have an uninfected PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I've only had uninfected PM on draft.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Compusaurus posted:

PM is probably the best beer they made/make. Even with a little bit of infection it's still really goddamn good.

hahaha, i guess you had some the day it was bottled?

speaking of coffee stouts, this year's FBS is tight. just drank one at room temperature and it was so good i'm not even putting the rest in the refrigerator

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dphi posted:

Gonna change the subject and let everyone know that Block 15 is finally starting to can Sticky Hands, a much more artistic and complex IPA than Heady.

https://beerservedrare.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/block-15-sticky-hands-cans-launch-oct-2/

Holy crap! Does that mean they have settled on a single recipe and Sticky Hands will no longer be a series of DIPA experiments with different hops and malt bills? The various iterations of the beer have run the gamut from "one of the best DIPAs I've ever had" to "mediocre".

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Was just out buying up all the Afterburner I could find and I guess this years Straight Jacket is already out?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

dominator posted:

Was just out buying up all the Afterburner I could find and I guess this years Straight Jacket is already out?

It came out in January.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Spanish Manlove posted:

*This ignores the new costs of having to make sure the rest of the place doesn't get infected.

this is not typically an issue with kettle soured beers, because they are usually boiled afterwards killing any latent lactobacillus

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

speaking of coffee stouts, this year's FBS is tight. just drank one at room temperature and it was so good i'm not even putting the rest in the refrigerator

Oh thank God. Last year's was so weirdly metallic.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

poop dood posted:

Oh thank God. Last year's was so weirdly metallic.

agreed; i barely drank any bottles last year, although i didn't think that flavor was prominent on tap

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Got my hands on these two from the Rainbow Project bottle. As last year, they all looked awesome

(Yellow) Partizan and Prairie Artisan Ales: Real Time Saison, 6.6%, Kaffir Lime, Lemongrass and Grapefruit Zest Saison
(Blue) Siren Craft Brew and Surly: Blue Sky Blue Sea, 5%, Seaweed and Cloudberry Gose

The Siren/Surly one in particular sounds incredible.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I found the seaweed gose a bit gym bag and feet. Would have preferred a lighter, zestier thing with aromatics of the sea rather than drinking a stagnant pool.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Spuckuk posted:

Got my hands on these two from the Rainbow Project bottle. As last year, they all looked awesome

(Yellow) Partizan and Prairie Artisan Ales: Real Time Saison, 6.6%, Kaffir Lime, Lemongrass and Grapefruit Zest Saison
(Blue) Siren Craft Brew and Surly: Blue Sky Blue Sea, 5%, Seaweed and Cloudberry Gose

The Siren/Surly one in particular sounds incredible.

Do they bottle all of these? My friend has a huge DFH collection and he's gonna be pissed if he has to track a bottle down

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

cryme posted:

Do they bottle all of these? My friend has a huge DFH collection and he's gonna be pissed if he has to track a bottle down

i have a friend like that, too! hmm....

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Rare Day lottery starts today! I hope they let us put bottles on layaway so I'll be able to afford my allotment when the time comes.

http://www.gooseisland.com/rareday.html

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

cryme posted:

The Beavertown/DFH was bottled, yeah. Pretty limited, though, I think we got a case and are lucky to get that.

It has a beavertown label, for what it's worth.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

LeafHouse posted:

Rare Day lottery starts today! I hope they let us put bottles on layaway so I'll be able to afford my allotment when the time comes.

http://www.gooseisland.com/rareday.html

I just realized the 13th is a Friday. Here is hoping that if I do get picked, it's not for the early afternoon session :/.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I just realized the 13th is a Friday. Here is hoping that if I do get picked, it's not for the early afternoon session :/.

Part of me congratulates them for trying to make it less of a clusterfuck by putting it on a Friday.

The rest of me is going to be embarrassed by the number of people who will be taking that day off.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

Part of me congratulates them for trying to make it less of a clusterfuck by putting it on a Friday.

The rest of me is going to be embarrassed by the number of people who will be taking that day off.

Rare release responsible for millions in lost productivity.

Beer needs still literally the worst.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Podima posted:

You're in luck, friend - we have a wiki that in fact has tons of information about Seattle! http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=Seattle

Butts are also included, if you're into that.
Can I contribute to the Philly section on this?

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Canada goons (and others close to Toronto), the list for this year's Cask Days in Toronto has been released.
http://festival.caskdays.com/oncask
Looks like a total of 369 casks this year, with Washington, California, and New York being the features.

There's still tickets available to most of the sessions, though they're releasing all the casks in the first session this year, so you're better off with an earlier session.

Major highlights:
Four Winds Nectarous
Dunham Tropicale IPA
Trou du Diable Madera
Dieu du Ciel Tamarindo Gose
Folly Brewing X GTA Brews Point Verde (because I helped brew it)
Le Castor Yakima IPA
Revel Cider Coffee Banana T'ej (I don't understand how this will even work, but it's weird enough to try once)

You should all go, it's fun, and a bit cold. Plus it makes the Canada beer scene look good. :canada:

ReaperUnreal fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 2, 2015

Apache
May 11, 2004

A little late to the comments on BCBS, but I was able to pick up single bottles for about $5 each last month from one of my local bottle shops, they were the last of the stock the shop had , but they lasted almost 9 months on the shelf there(Central FL). Also, Spanish Manlove, if you're looking for affordable sours, I think Coppertail still had some of their tart saison collaboration with MIA brewing called Eldermother in the tap room in Ybor for $10 per 750ml bottle. Decent beer too, had it on draft a while ago at the taproom. May stop by and purchase a few bottles tomorrow when I'm near the area.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
"Be warned that it will gush everywhere probably."

This is what Daunte Vicknabb told me when he sent me a Capricho Oscura Batch 3 as an extra a couple months ago.

This was a warning I did not heed. So I just spent 20 minutes cleaning up about 8 ounces of beer from 2009 that shot out all over the basement.

The beer that's left is... not particularly good. Obviously infected, though not undrinkable. Like a really poorly made sour stout. Tons of booze in the nose, though I think the infection is keeping it being overly so in the taste.

Cool try, but obviously has issues. Again, this is drinkable but not exactly enjoyable.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

I will be on vacation in Southwestern Michigan next week (Holland, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo) and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for good bottle shops.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Apache posted:

A little late to the comments on BCBS, but I was able to pick up single bottles for about $5 each last month from one of my local bottle shops, they were the last of the stock the shop had , but they lasted almost 9 months on the shelf there(Central FL). Also, Spanish Manlove, if you're looking for affordable sours, I think Coppertail still had some of their tart saison collaboration with MIA brewing called Eldermother in the tap room in Ybor for $10 per 750ml bottle. Decent beer too, had it on draft a while ago at the taproom. May stop by and purchase a few bottles tomorrow when I'm near the area.

I was planning on heading over there tomorrow so thanks for letting me know they still have that.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Wet Tie Affair posted:

I will be on vacation in Southwestern Michigan next week (Holland, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo) and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for good bottle shops.

In Grand Rapids you've got Siciliano's, Martha's Vineyard, or Horrock's. If I had to pick one, it'd be Siciliano's. Not too much in Holland, and I'm not an expert at Kalamazoo.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Beer notes along the Front Range.

I thought, when I was last here three years ago, that the scene here wouldn't grow that much more. I'd say that it's about twice as big now, and the thing about it is that the quality of the beer produced by the new outfits is all quite nice. They also certainly have the culture behind building an inviting brewpub pretty well down. Have a small room, open it up to the outdoors, allow dogs, sell pretzels, have some guy making noodles outside. That's very much the culture here, and I feel like northern CO is similar to OR in that most people go out to drink craft beer instead of collect a lot of bottles. And people are crazy loyal to them, too. I went to the Walnut Brewery in Boulder, a pretty forgettable old place, and talked for a long while with one of the head dudes from the Brewers Association. (It turns out I happened to be staying at the hotel where they held the first GABF in 1982. The entirety of it was inside a single hotel conference room.)

The particular exciting thing for me is all the breweries that make great malt-forward beers. I stopped by a place in Boulder named J. Wells Brewery, very much a place inside a garage, and was greeted with an incredibly awesome chocolate milk stout (I will admit that I like these when they're sweet as F) and an English-style amber beer that had all the honey and biscuity notes that one keeps on hearing about this style but I never pick up on. You definitely don't see a lot of "extreme" ales there -- Upslope, in their new and fancy taproom, is better with that -- but it's perfect "hang out" beer.

Drove past Longmont, where I purchased some Nitro Wake Up Dead from Left Hand (maybe not news to you, but Left Hand doesn't distribute in OR so I had to bite on this) and filled up a souvenir crowler at Oskar Blues with Bolivia Newtown-John, a coffee porter. I happened to be there when a group that helps developmentally-disabled people in Longmont were having them build those can-and-bead necklaces you see all over GABF and other CO events. So that's how they're made. They liked Adam a lot.

Up in Fort Collins I have been drinking all the Funkwerks beer I possibly can; they can do no wrong in my mind. Their Nelson Sauvin saison is excellent and wine-like in its muted subtlety. Also went to Horse & Dragon with noted Something Awful Forums poster mrcowcow; their coffee stout, Sad Panda, is turning into an unlikely local favorite around town and is pretty good. On the bar front, Tap n Handle is incredible as always; they still had a bunch of leftovers from GABF so I got to have The Butcher from Societe (thick and viscous RIS) and Tweak from Avery, their own 17% RIS. The Mayor of Old Town is expansive as always, but I couldn't find myself caring as much about their list.

Also bought a few cans from Bootstrap 100 percent because of the label art.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
I'm at the cat ER now because someone ate something they shouldn't have and now, with the waiting, I have time to reflect on the beers I had last night.

CW BA scotch ale is just as good if not better than I remember it. I still think backwoods is better but this is really close.

I rolled the dice on a new almanac beer - Simcoe Sour, a dry hopped sour blonde, and drat was it good. Really heavy simcoe on the nose and overall really good. It's a serious contender with Le Terroir in quality (but def not price).

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ExtremistCow posted:

In Grand Rapids you've got Siciliano's, Martha's Vineyard, or Horrock's. If I had to pick one, it'd be Siciliano's. Not too much in Holland, and I'm not an expert at Kalamazoo.

Rishi's is pretty good too, hard call between that and Siciliano's.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Giving away a grumbler of near perfect Alpine Keene Idea because I want to give back to the members who make this thread a great place. Requirements are as follows:

1. Must have posted in the thread for at least a year.
2. Can't live in SoCal.
3. Pick a number between 1 - 100 for RNG selection until midnight PST 10/4/15.
4. Send me a label if you win.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Awww hell ya ill take 69 baby. Very kind of you!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Schpyder posted:

Rishi's is pretty good too, hard call between that and Siciliano's.

Kingma's Market on Plainfield in GR is a personal favorite, go there if you like beer and meat (they have an in-house butcher and make great jerky).

Furious Lobster posted:

Giving away a grumbler of near perfect Alpine Keene Idea because I want to give back to the members who make this thread a great place. Requirements are as follows:

2. Can't live in SoCal.

In @ 37!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Furious Lobster posted:

2. Can't live in SoCal.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. 77!

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

2. Can't live in SoCal.

What a nice thing to do!

I'll try number 15

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

75 :coal:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I will take number 2?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

88!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Furious Lobster posted:

2. Can't live in SoCal.

You own. I will take the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

2. Can't live in SoCal.

How very kind! 99.