Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

RazNation posted:

did you switch to braided lines?

I put braids on my bike and it improved the braking quit a bit.

I'm sure my braided lines helped, but what made an ENORMOUS difference with my brake lever feel was scrubbing the pistons with soapy water and a tooth brush. The lever went from spongy to extra firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

RazNation posted:

did you switch to braided lines?

I put braids on my bike and it improved the braking quit a bit.

That was from the brake fluid change ;)

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

So just finished riding school last week, got all my gear, and finally pulled the trigger on my first bike - 2004 SV650s, with about 40,000 KM on it and full service records. Took a bit of getting used to the seating position as the riding school had us on Honda CR250L's, which are super upright compared to this...but am really enjoying it so far.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Does any one know if the forks from an 04 sv650 will work on an 08? i bent one of mine, and need to source some cheap replacements.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yes they will.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yes they will.

Thanks! :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know the differences between the 03 SV's and the 04+ bikes?

I know of exhaust, and the subframe, what else is there?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I believe the 03 has a carb, 04 is fuel injected

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

03 is the first FI year

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone know the differences between the 03 SV's and the 04+ bikes?

I know of exhaust, and the subframe, what else is there?

The seat, too. I think that's it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

M42 posted:

The seat, too. I think that's it.

That loving seat....

Anyone want a cheap Sargent seat for an 04+? Only mildly scuffed from trying to slam it onto an 03.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How cheap exactly? :v:

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
If M42 doesn't snag it, I'm interested too! :)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

$120? It's brand new, one of the plastic grommets on one of the mounting tabs is gone (not a necessary component) and one of the ancillary foam blocks that goes between the tray and the frame is missing, could be replaced pretty easy.

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

http://nwga.craigslist.org/mcy/5231023069.html

So how wary should I be of this

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh snap, forgot about the seat. It's all yours, benward - I mixed sargent up with corbin, the latter is what I need.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Very wary. I'd probably ride it for 1200, but only if it's running as well as they say. I'd also streetfighter it ASAP. It's definitely been down, and I wouldn't trust a single thing the owner had to say about it.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but feel the need to ask anyway.

I found a 2007 SV650 for sale locally in Seattle with 12k miles and a mismatched fairing. Current owner says PO dropped the bike so he replaced the fairing(makes sense) and the forks(alet!). He only wants $2k for the bike. Do I run at or away from this deal? Anyone know a shop that would do a pre-buy frame check in the greater Seattle area?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Avoid. Maybe Seattle has crazy bike prices, but around here you can get clean SVs all day long for $2200-3000. Saving a few hundred bucks isn't worth the headache of inheriting someone else's problem.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but feel the need to ask anyway.

I found a 2007 SV650 for sale locally in Seattle with 12k miles and a mismatched fairing. Current owner says PO dropped the bike so he replaced the fairing(makes sense) and the forks(alet!). He only wants $2k for the bike. Do I run at or away from this deal? Anyone know a shop that would do a pre-buy frame check in the greater Seattle area?

I saw that ad. I replied to it asking about the fairings but yikes, if he replaced the forks then it was probably crashed hard.

There's a couple of 2005-2007 higher milage SV650s for $3000 but at that price point I might as well get a FZ6.

Edit: I found a naked 2005 SV650 in the price range I can afford. Is this worth $2700 if everything checks out? I'm going to meet up with him this weekend.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5269951943.html

Just noticed he didn't have pictures of the exhaust. Going to ask for pictures

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 24, 2015

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

I saw that ad. I replied to it asking about the fairings but yikes, if he replaced the forks then it was probably crashed hard.

There's a couple of 2005-2007 higher milage SV650s for $3000 but at that price point I might as well get a FZ6.

Edit: I found a naked 2005 SV650 in the price range I can afford. Is this worth $2700 if everything checks out? I'm going to meet up with him this weekend.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5269951943.html

Just noticed he didn't have pictures of the exhaust. Going to ask for pictures

It's definitely been tracked, but still looks nice!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Is there a good luggage system out there that isn't absurdly expensive? I'd like to get something I can mount hard saddlebags and a tailbag to, but i'd prefer not to spend $600 to do it. Are there cheaper options? I've kept my eyes out for used but haven't seen any great deals.

e: cheaper options that aren't softbags. I have a tailbag that survived 3 years of use but it's falling apart now. Maybe that's the way to go? I'd like the extra space of saddlebags but I'd worry there isn't enough on the tail to keep them in place and off of the exhaust.

bsamu fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 26, 2015

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
I did the TPS and the aTRE mods and it seems like they made a pretty noticeable difference at slow speeds at least. If anyone is curious the tps is here:
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=55459
And the atre was just the plug and play one from the guy on the svrider forum. They were both pretty easy/cheap to do, I'd recommend looking into it if you haven't already.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'm saving up for a 'real' bike to augment or replace my CM400A for a commuting and general dicking around machine. I've got my sights set on an 03+ SV650, but I'd like to know what sort of price points are reasonable and what common issues to look for. What's good, what's bad, etc?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
You can probably get a clean '03 for $2500 max. The downside of the '03 is that it's a unique year.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

You can probably get a clean '03 for $2500 max. The downside of the '03 is that it's a unique year.

Yeah, from what I've been looking at I'd probably be a bit better off with an 04+. I've done a lot of looking around and it seems like finding an unmodified one is nigh impossible, but there are at least a few that aren't completely ruined. I won't be buying for a while because $$$$$ but I'd like to have a target to set. I'm gonna try and put a solid $3000 away, which should cover biek and incidentals, and then I can get to ruining it myself. :getin:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I'm not sure where you're at, but around here you can find 04+ for less than $3000 very easily, and occasionally as low as $2500. I don't think 03's are any less reliable, but you'll run into stupid stuff like aftermarket seats not fitting, and I'd start to worry about parts availability.

That reminds me, who sees "super rare" bikes as a plus? You see CL adds bragging about that all the time, but who wants to track down parts for a 15 year old bike that was only available for one or two years?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

That reminds me, who sees "super rare" bikes as a plus? You see CL adds bragging about that all the time, but who wants to track down parts for a 15 year old bike that was only available for one or two years?

With the aforementioned '81 CM400A I Know That Feel. Try finding parts for a rare variant of a bike that was made in limited numbers, for a grand total of three years, more than 30 years ago.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It depends on if the rare version was something special, like the first gen katanas vs every other katana that's come since then. With the 03 SV's it just makes finding exhausts and seats a bit harder.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 3, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How many miles is "high mileage" for an sv? I have a lead on an 05N that has 15k, and the mileage is the only thing that scares me

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How many miles is "high mileage" for an sv? I have a lead on an 05N that has 15k, and the mileage is the only thing that scares me

SV's can be raced, ridden hard, and generally abused (but not wheelied, supposedly) for upwards of 100kmi, 15k wouldn't scare me at all, for anecdotal evidence, my '03 is an ex race bike and has 19 on it, and it starts and rides like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
^^^ Mine lifted the front on heavy acceleration, even with my body leaned forward.

My 03 had around 30k on it before it was totalled, and was running perfectly. Clutch/transmission/ were all strong and in good shape. Of course, this is just one bike, and it all depends on how it was cared for. Either way, 15k isn't much at all for that age.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've always heard that it's not the mileage, per say, it's how the mileage was produced. If it was an infrequent commuter bike owned by someone who changed the oil regularly and had it serviced when needed, then that's only 1,500 miles a year over ten years. If it was used like that for 10,000 miles, and then owned by someone who used it as a track bike, even if the second owner maintained the bike scrupulously, 5,000 track miles might have worn the bike out more than the previous 10,000 miles of moderate street riding.

Another bike factor is if it's been "downed", and whether that was a driveway drop, or a high-speed slide. Even if it has, that's not the end of the world; When I bought my SV, I could see that the front wheel and some spots on the bike were pretty badly scraped, but since nothing had been repaired, I could guess that it was a 20-40 mph lowside, at which point the former owner had garaged it and never jumped on it again. For the right price, that sort of "damaged" bike can be a great deal.

tl;dr: 15,000 miles is pretty low for a ten year old SV. If the previous owner looks like the sort of person that was religious about maintenance, even a track bike is probably okay. If you look in the oil window on the engine and see black tar, you might want to keep looking.

Coydog posted:

^^^ Mine lifted the front on heavy acceleration, even with my body leaned forward.

The "SVs can't wheelie" thing is actually better stated as "SVs shouldn't wheelie for very long." From what I was told, the oil pump doesn't work well when the front end is way up like that, so if you're emulating a 12 o'clock boy, the SV is going to have problems at some point during a sustained wheelie.

Goredema fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 12, 2015

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Valve check is 14k miles - a good chance that's why its' for sale now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Goredema posted:

The "SVs can't wheelie" thing is actually better stated as "SVs shouldn't wheelie for very long." From what I was told, the oil pump doesn't work well when the front end is way up like that, so if you're emulating a 12 o'clock boy, the SV is going to have problems at some point during a sustained wheelie.

Ah, I see what you mean, now. This is very true.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
15k is fine, you'll need to check the valves.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looks pretty clean for an 05 with 15k on it. They want 2995 for it. Nice that it appears to have braided lines, renthal bars, etc on it. It's 1.5 hours away and their winter hours are m-f only though, so I have to figure out how I'm getting out there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you are human adult size do springs and fork oil before judging the bike too harshly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, as a one-time bandit 1200 owner, I know all about "great bike with meh suspension" syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I bought a thing

• Locked thread