Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

... that's not a fascist utopia?

Fascists want a unified nation-state for all the Volk (and, of course, only the Volk :hitler:). I'm talking about something more like Afghanistan or the Congo. Lord Humongous is a petty bandit king, not a Führer, his domain is tiny and his authority personal, and he's constantly in danger from neighboring bandit kings from without and usurpers from within.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

For those curious in how these folks want the world to look, a wonderful documentary entitled A Boy and His Dog starring a pre-Miami Vice Don Johnson was filmed in 1975, based on the original journal article by Harlan Ellison.

It's out of copyright for whatever reason, so enjoy it on You Tube for free. Don't watch it at work, obviously.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Woolie Wool posted:

Fascists want a unified nation-state for all the Volk (and, of course, only the Volk :hitler:). I'm talking about something more like Afghanistan or the Congo. Lord Humongous is a petty bandit king, not a Führer, his domain is tiny and his authority personal, and he's constantly in danger from neighboring bandit kings from without and usurpers from within.

Afghanistan and the Congo were never modern states, though. For a collapsed United States, I'm imagining something that more resembles parts of the Balkans during the early 90's, which features both local warlords and ethnic conflict.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Meanwhile conservatives wonder why people who followed their ideals want to deport them at every turn.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Hopefully Canada and the UK will step in and take over and win the War of 1812 and then Vietnam can send a peacekeeping force of bombers and gunships and everyone can call it even.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

Dear Mr Land, please just stop talking.
hashtag neoreaction hashtag heroic reaction hashtag i am using a computer

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cardboard Box A posted:

I am now enlightened

Someone being a raving lunatic who thinks marital rape is a feminist lie by people who deserve to have acid burns on their face is NO REASON to not respect their totally grounded views on an evil cabal controlling SF. I mean duh.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Heresiarch posted:

Afghanistan and the Congo were never modern states, though. For a collapsed United States, I'm imagining something that more resembles parts of the Balkans during the early 90's, which features both local warlords and ethnic conflict.

I'll give you the Congo but Afghanistan in the 70's was a pretty nice place to be until we started loving around.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

divabot posted:

Dear Mr Land, please just stop talking.

Translated back into English, that means "the neo-Nazis will realise the gay Jewish SF nerdoreactionaries are stupid and twee and tell them to gently caress off" (or "neotenous" if we want to rejargonise, which of course we don't). Given TheRightStuff, this has basically already happened, so Nick has (a) predicted the past (b) attempted neologism.

It's a shame he's horrible now, because that Awl article linked unthread (http://www.theawl.com/2015/09/good-luck-to-human-kind) made his early career sound awesome, and another article it linked to that I can't find credits him with inspiring both dub step and vaporwave (since k-punk was one of his students). His ideas about nihilsm and accelerationism fit with poetic/futurist ideas I thought I came up with about earth destroying itself through climate change and nuclear war.

It's probably not healthy for me to like his early work or want to track it down.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Wesley's pretty pissed off over dirty commie prog William Gibson, but his reasons aren't very clear. Here's him frothing at the mouth over Gibson's supposed cultural marxism:

http://severnayazemlya.tumblr.com/post/130423216628/untiltheseashallfreethem-a-couple-of-weeks-ago

The whole thread is moronic and Scott is the only smart voice in there.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Wesley's pretty pissed off over dirty commie prog William Gibson, but his reasons aren't very clear. Here's him frothing at the mouth over Gibson's supposed cultural marxism:

http://severnayazemlya.tumblr.com/post/130423216628/untiltheseashallfreethem-a-couple-of-weeks-ago

Progs are occupying freak spaces so hard, they went back in time to found them before freaks could.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

It's a shame he's horrible now, because that Awl article linked unthread (http://www.theawl.com/2015/09/good-luck-to-human-kind) made his early career sound awesome, and another article it linked to that I can't find credits him with inspiring both dub step and vaporwave (since k-punk was one of his students). His ideas about nihilsm and accelerationism fit with poetic/futurist ideas I thought I came up with about earth destroying itself through climate change and nuclear war.

It's probably not healthy for me to like his early work or want to track it down.

Nick Land was always horrible, for exactly the reason you just pointed out: the guy gets off on the idea of humanity destroying itself through nuclear war, or getting eaten by robots, or whatever.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
We're all going to die anyway. Even in the wildest dreams of transhuman singularity cults eventually entropy kicks in and the Sun swallows the Earth and the universe collapses. Isn't it better that Earth dies by its own hand, from nuclear war or climate change, from an excess of human technological ingenuity rather than by the cold mechananized processes of the universe?

This line of thought has got me labeled an 'acellerationist', and I'm self-aware enough to realize it may be a remenent of depression. But early Nick Land sounds like some kind of extreme Dadaist philosopher/theorist. And I like interesting ideas, whether they are practical or not. According to another article Land considers his pre-NRX personality a 'different person', so it's clear he had some kind of mental break.

Here's the article: http://divus.cc/london/en/article/nick-land-ein-experiment-im-inhumanismus

quote:

Perhaps as a result of this maximally broad conception of ‘philosophy,’ of my fellow students of the time only a few now hold academic positions (and usually in precariously marginal positions, or at art schools rather than in philosophy departments). On the other hand, I can count among them novelists (Hari Kunzru, James Flint), musicians (Kode9, one of the progenitors of ‘dubstep’), and writers such as Mark Fisher (blogger ‘K-Punk,’ author of Capitalist Realism).4 Others have sought out Land from afar, like Iranian writer Reza Negarestani, who tracked him down on the web and began a long-running online conversation which led to the writing of the extraordinary book Cyclonopedia.5

I think I saw that last book constantly cited in the insane Transformers exegis thread in Cinema Discussio.

At the very least, Land sounds like a starting point for a deep dive through the fringes of academia and art.

Count Chocula has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Oct 4, 2015

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Count Chocula posted:

We're all going to die anyway. Even in the wildest dreams of transhuman singularity cults eventually entropy kicks in and the Sun swallows the Earth and the universe collapses. Isn't it better that Earth dies by its own hand, from nuclear war or climate change, from an excess of human technological ingenuity rather than by the cold mechananized processes of the universe?

This line of thought has got me labeled an 'acellerationist', and I'm self-aware enough to realize it may be a remenent of depression.

Nihilism is boring. Even if nothing matters, we owe it to ourselves to have fun while we're here. If you don't want to be here, stop. Taking the rest of us with you is cowardly, and sure it doesn't matter because nothing does, but it's still a dick move.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Merdifex posted:

This is a person who would read about Josef Virek in Count Zero and think of him as somebody to emulate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Count Chocula posted:

If it was technological marvelousness that at least did things that benefited all or most living human beings, perhaps you could make a Morganite argument that a better present is more important than some numinous future, but that's not anywhere near the system anyone suggests. You should, I think, not try to make decisions for other people, because it sucks to have them made for you.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peztopiary posted:

Nihilism is boring. Even if nothing matters, we owe it to ourselves to have fun while we're here. If you don't want to be here, stop. Taking the rest of us with you is cowardly, and sure it doesn't matter because nothing does, but it's still a dick move.

Nihilism is a word that means "A belief that a thing I, personally, consider necessary for a livable life, is nonexistent or unimportant".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nihilism is a word that means "A belief that a thing I, personally, consider necessary for a livable life, is nonexistent or unimportant".

It was invented by Germans to complain about people believing you couldn't prove God's existence.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Peztopiary posted:

Half of being a nihilist is the whole 'eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die' thing, but it also means acknowledging the utter pointlessness of everything. If humanity destroys itself through technological progress it will at least put some kind of exclamation point on our existence as a species.

Count Chocula has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Oct 4, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Count Chocula posted:

Half of being a nihilist is the whole 'eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die' thing, but it also means acknowledging the utter pointlessness of everything. If humanity destroys itself through technological progress it will at least put some kind of exclamation point on our existence as a species.
Who are you trying to impress, though? Survivors, who will probably curse your name for creating a wonderland and pissing it away to leave them to live in its ashes? Aliens? God?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Count Chocula posted:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It is, appropriately, pretty empty of meaning.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Count Chocula posted:

If humanity destroys itself through technological progress it will at least put some kind of exclamation point on our existence as a species.

Nah

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

That's one goon who desperately needs to read The Earth Abides by I can't loving remember right now and also won't be arsed to look up the name of the author.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
The human race destroys itself in a grand theatrical orgy of violence while dipshit philosophy students jack themselves off in their death throes.

2 million years later, the newly evolved race of intelligent amphibious octopuses that dominate the earth discover humanity's ruined legacy and posit the question: "How loving stupid were these guys?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Count Chocula posted:

We're all going to die anyway. Even in the wildest dreams of transhuman singularity cults eventually entropy kicks in and the Sun swallows the Earth and the universe collapses.
Actually, no. The idea is that as soon as AGIs start improving themselves they begin to increase their own intelligence at an ever-more-rapid pace until they become God and save us all from the end of the universe by utilising the sort of future-science that we in the present can only dream of.

Count Chocula posted:

Isn't it better that Earth dies by its own hand, from nuclear war or climate change, from an excess of human technological ingenuity rather than by the cold mechananized processes of the universe?
No? Why would it be? If everything is meaningless then how do you even measure good and bad? Either way we'll be dead and that's it, it makes no difference how we get there.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

yeah, i thought "Wesley, I already answered this one and I know you read it." Had to do that again recently.

also, VNV's aesthetic is techno-art-deco, while the lyrics are as close to Christian Rock as industrial gets without actually mentioning Jesus. (seriously, you can change like three or four words in a typical VNV song, e.g. "Perpetual", and you could sing them in the happy-clappier variety of Sunday service.)

[of course there's all the swords and honour and wars pushing those totally-not-Nazi buttons on Praise The Fallen but Ronan seems to have worked out that was a bad idea for what he's doing]

Count Chocula posted:

According to another article Land considers his pre-NRX personality a 'different person', so it's clear he took WAAAAAAY too many drugs with his pounding techno.

ftfy

ps: everyone, nobody in the world actually cares about the details of Land's incoherent babbling, they just like he's given them an excuse to type like fash.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

divabot posted:

ftfy

ps: everyone, nobody in the world actually cares about the details of Land's incoherent babbling, they just like he's given them an excuse to type like fash.

Wesley does, to be sure. I mean, it's all nonsense typed out by a continental tweaked out on uppers, but he does have an audience. I have no idea exactly what Wesley or other NRx seriously take away from Land, but the few ideas of Land's that people do seem to take seriously, like the whole IQ-shredder thing, are garbage on the empirical side of things, and with a modicum of inquiry they all fall apart.

And there's that dysgenics thing which Land has no evidence for save a thesis by a German conservative which Land touts as if it were gospel.

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Oct 4, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's almost like this is baseless garbage.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If you think what happened to Ahmed Mohammed was wrong, you support childrape

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Reading that link title is like getting water up the nose, only a million times worse.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This is apparently "Clockgate" now.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

"ClockGate" has been a thing on Twitter for a while now, even Dawkins got into the act. It's vile garbage but we knew that already.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am Rationalist who only reads reliable, non mindkilled news periodicals, such as The Daily Caller

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is this where I go to talk about how my best friend, who is incredibly smart, thinks democracy is stupid and should be replaced by an authoritarian meritocracy?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

blue squares posted:

Is this where I go to talk about how my best friend, who is incredibly smart, thinks democracy is stupid and should be replaced by an authoritarian meritocracy?

Is he an engineer or an IT guy?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is he an engineer or an IT guy?

He's a philosophy and rhetoric guy. He loves the ancient Romans and some Greeks

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

blue squares posted:

He's a philosophy and rhetoric guy. He loves the ancient Romans and some Greeks

By any chance, does he go by Rottweiler on the internet ever?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

By any chance, does he go by Rottweiler on the internet ever?

I have no idea, but I really really doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

blue squares posted:

I'm wondering what your metric for "incredibly smart" is.