Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The hilarious thing is people defending SC have yet to point out how the Escapist benefits from lying. Because if they were lying, that would open them up to a libel suit that CiG could sue for a lot of money because he can claim they've actively cost him sales from refunds. They are convinced it's all part of Derek Smarts plan, but how did Derek Smart convince the Escapist to do this in the first place? What's the gain? I mean even if you say Smart temporarily benefits from it, that all goes down the hill once a lawsuit comes out.

And the escapist itself would basically be signing its own death warrant, saying "We know what we're doing is illegal, but we're going to do it anyway." Why? for clicks? a few extra clicks that will vanish to zero when the lawsuit hits? potential millions lost from exuberant legal fees and lawyer sharking?

I just want one person to explain to me where the magical loving benefit is. It's not like they're going after small fries like in the Stardock incident. There is just no logic here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Amun Khonsu posted:

If a model/actress hasnt made her big break by the time she is in her lower to mid 30s, she wont make that big break. The competition from younger more talents model/actresses is too much.
The irony here is that she got her big break-- Star Citizen is the biggest break a human being could hope to get in their life. And she and Chris have squandered it, abused it, wasted it, and Sandi wants the hell away from it.

These last few years are the Zenith of her life -- and what she sees as the spring board to her ultimately even more glamorous and exciting life of perpetual validation and enrichment is in fact the diving board from which she's already falling. Her unmasking is at hand-- all the little people she's crapped on, those "nobodies" and "ingrates" and "retards" who could open no glamorous doors for her, who could serve no aggrandizing purpose for her because they came from nowhere and are surely going nowhere too, those very same nobodies are now closing more doors for her than she even understands.

Where exactly she goes from her, who can say? But you needn't know the destination to know the direction. The direction is down, down, down.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 4, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Onmi posted:

The hilarious thing is people defending SC have yet to point out how the Escapist benefits from lying. Because if they were lying, that would open them up to a libel suit that CiG could sue for a lot of money because he can claim they've actively cost him sales from refunds. They are convinced it's all part of Derek Smarts plan, but how did Derek Smart convince the Escapist to do this in the first place? What's the gain? I mean even if you say Smart temporarily benefits from it, that all goes down the hill once a lawsuit comes out.

And the escapist itself would basically be signing its own death warrant, saying "We know what we're doing is illegal, but we're going to do it anyway." Why? for clicks? a few extra clicks that will vanish to zero when the lawsuit hits? potential millions lost from exuberant legal fees and lawyer sharking?

I just want one person to explain to me where the magical loving benefit is. It's not like they're going after small fries like in the Stardock incident. There is just no logic here.

The lawsuit Happening has the same chance as CIG releasing star citizen

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

G0RF posted:

The irony here is that she got her big break-- Star Citizen is the biggest break a human being could hope to get in their lives. And she and Chris have squandered it, abused it, wasted it, and Sandi wants the hell away from it.

These last few years are the Zenith of her life -- and what she sees as the spring board to her ultimately even more glamorous and exciting life of perpetual validation and enrichment is in fact the diving board from which she's already falling. Her unmasking is at hand-- all the little people she's crapped on, those "nobodies" and "ingrates" and "retards" who could open no glamorous doors for her, who could serve no aggrandizing purpose for her because they came from nowhere and are surely going nowhere too, those very same nobodies are now closing more doors for her than she even understands.

Where exactly she goes from her, who can say? But you needn't know the destination to know the direction. The direction is down, down, down.

Blind fold her and drop her to ISIS territory, they love goats

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

The irony here is that she got her big break-- Star Citizen is the biggest break a human being could hope to get in their life. And she and Chris have squandered it, abused it, wasted it, and Sandi wants the hell away from it.

Pity, it used to be UP, UP, UP!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I assumed their motivation was not getting fired.

How dare you assume they can't ship a game beer while being happy, motivated and inspired?! :argh:

fake edit: I think I'm going to puke.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

OhDearGodNo posted:

It's funny, I put my request in a week ago with no response.

I have a feeling a chargeback is the only recourse.

I put mine in last Sunday night and got a response this evening, so odds are good your ticket is close. For reference, my ticket number was around 134k.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Contingency posted:

I put mine in last Sunday night and got a response this evening, so odds are good your ticket is close. For reference, my ticket number was around 134k.

Turds will not refund me because all the ship I got are all gifted

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

starcitizen.jpg

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Furious Mittens posted:

Pity, it used to be UP, UP, UP!

Man the original bitcoin thread in GBS and the whole Bruce Wagner saga was some of the funniest poo poo ever.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

EminusSleepus posted:

Turds will not refund me because all the ship I got are all gifted

Expected to sell them and get a refund? Shame on you!

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

Looks like the lawsuit option is a go!

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

It's like the gift that keeps on giving :allears:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The respect of the bank employee as you explain spending $1000 on a picture of a spaceship.

It's the Arse Ticklers Faggots Fanclub dillema all over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a06E2mfcuz8

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

:psypop:

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I wonder if the editor at the Escapist is experiencing some of the same pangs of regret that some of the backers obviously did after they read that article.

This keeps getting better and better. :munch:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Holy poo poo. There is always more and it is always worse.

I really did not think they would publicly start a legal battle with a news rag over this- they are really losing the plot. And every single bit of this new fiasco is going to be funded by- you guessed it- backer money. What a mess.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

This can't be real anymore.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Writes letter so they can sue for defamation

Proceeds to insult the company they write the letter to

Good job guys.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It is now inevitable- when they close the doors at CIG, they are going to blame Derek Smart, The Escapist, and Goons. They will take no responsibility- none- for any of the impending failure.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Even the letter is :qq: DEREK SMART and meanie editor are bashing our game :qq:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I'm too speechless to go digging for cthulu-psyduck or the giant psyduck exploding into hundreds of smaller psyducks, so just pretend one of those is here tia

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Does money cause brain damage?

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
I'm going to be a pirate/mercenary/space trader when the verse comes out.

My handle will be Scorpion.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
That's an extremely bitchy and unprofessional letter for a lawyer to attach their name to, even if all of their allegations are correct.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Wise Learned Man posted:

That's an extremely bitchy and unprofessional letter for a lawyer to attach their name to, even if all of their allegations are correct.

It's so evident that the allegations of verbal beratings are true, and this letter is a clear indication.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
A cute couple (!!!) (???) (:\) :gerty:

:/

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh my god.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sedisp posted:

This can't be real anymore.

Star Citizen is GOTY.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
is this supposed to be a fuckin black guy lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Maldoror posted:

is this supposed to be a fuckin black guy lol

he looks like plenty of lighter skin black guys ?? idk whats your point

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

EminusSleepus posted:

Well

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Isn't this exciting? Isn't this exactly what we wanted? Now only Derek Smart is missing to complete the legal circlejerk.

Let's see how this works out, I love that they cc'd that super-lawyer! Can Defy Media counter with a mega-lawyer?

On a more serious note:

Can someone with legal background advise as to what the chances are for their demands in the UK and US? I think I read somewhere, that it is extremely difficult to build a case against press in general in the US, don't know how the situation is in the UK

The only thing that stood out for me was:
- They claim that they do not issue company ID cards, which Escapist mentiones was one of the means that one of their sources identified himself.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 4, 2015

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

:munch:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
This is fantastic. I wonder if they're actually going to follow up on the suit or if they're trying to bluff it. What would be even better is if they do file and it comes out the escapist had everything above board- which I lean to yes especially if they ran it by their legal department.

And depending how fast they go bankrupt we can see how much money they actually have left.

This drama is actually happening at a decent pace too!

:munch:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Romes128 posted:

Writes letter so they can sue for defamation

Proceeds to insult the company they write the letter to

Good job guys.

If they sue for defamation, wouldn't they have to present evidence of what's being defamed? I mean, wouldn't they have to disclose their finances, since that's one of the key points of that Escapist article?

Speaking of which, if they're going to turn this into their solicitors in the UK, what about the fact they missed their public disclosure of corporate finances they have with to the British government?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone explain something to me.

The letter they sent Defy Media, Escapists parent company, basically says "you said untrue things and when you shared those things with Chris Roberts to respond to you failed to do that for Sandi Gardner (aka Mrs. Roberts) and the HR Department at CIG, thus you are spreading libel and defamation" and that's the crux of their suit against Defy Media?

My memory on media law is a bit flaky, but don't you need to prove damages done by libel and defamation and since CIG have seen an uptick in backing that's kind of hard to do. Or are they going to claim people asking for refunds on/around the time of the article being released are losses despite the fact they, as part of their TOS, are obligated to provide the refunds before the new TOS takes place?

This is so confusing :psyduck:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
That letter also looks like something an angsty high schooler wrote in an attempt to look like a lawyer.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

EminusSleepus posted:

survey says :laffo:

realistically whatever real lawyer they have on retainer is going to wake up, see that he has 80 new messages, read them, and cry

like cr has a lawyer on retainer that he would take any advice from this is going to be :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Reddit's just eating this up: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3nfcz6/cig_updates_response_to_escapist/

It's kind of apparent at this point that Chris Roberts has completely lost the reins of this company to his insane narcissist of a wife, and she is about to give Derek Smart everything he wanted by filing suit and picking a fight with journalists.

• Locked thread