Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, now that I think about it. What was up with Crocodile's poison? Was it just a numbing agent? I sure didn't see Luffy chug an antidote. Not a big deal though I suppose.

Actually it'd be kinda funny in a grim sort of way if Luffy simply bled out all the poison.

I thought he did get an antidote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, now that I think about it. What was up with Crocodile's poison? Was it just a numbing agent? I sure didn't see Luffy chug an antidote. Not a big deal though I suppose.

Actually it'd be kinda funny in a grim sort of way if Luffy simply bled out all the poison.

Crocodile called it poison but it really behaved more like a very strong acid. It burned through stone and luffy's rubber skin, but it wasn't actually poison.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

gnome7 posted:

Crocodile called it poison but it really behaved more like a very strong acid. It burned through stone and luffy's rubber skin, but it wasn't actually poison.

Strong poison is very commonly depicted in fiction as basically hydrochloric acid that also poisons you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

I really like your impressions and rundowns of stuff you've read, but if you're still going in blind and haven't been spoiled on a lot of later stuff, I really wish you'd not read this thread entirely except to make your impression posts. :x

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, Nami's a proven her worth in several ways. I'm also not against her fighting, per se, the weather staff just feels like a really clunky way to facilitate it. I could see possibly growing acclimated to it with tie, but right now I can't say I care for it at all.

The thing with Nami's fights is that, the few times she's gotten to fight someone one-on-one rather than just clearing out hordes of mooks with localized lightning storms, it's someone who's agile and clever enough to avoid her basic moves (though usually they'll still go down if they get hit by them), so she DOES have to get creative with the clima-tact. It's clunky against Ms. Doublefinger because she has no idea how to use it yet, but when she gets comfortable with using it it's a lot less fiddling with the functions and more implementing them in the right ways.

God I wish Nami would get a fight in the new world at some point.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

One piece needs more Crocodile being crocodile.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fat_Cow posted:

One piece needs more Crocodile being crocodile.

He is currently the most popular villain in the series. So I am guessing he will be back.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Captain Invictus posted:

I really like your impressions and rundowns of stuff you've read, but if you're still going in blind and haven't been spoiled on a lot of later stuff, I really wish you'd not read this thread entirely except to make your impression posts. :x
I am generally pretty chill about spoilers, though in this case I also know a few things already. IMO a well-written story can still pack a powerful punch even if you know what's coming down the turnpike. I'm the kinda guy who likes to reread his favorite series on a regular basis as well (ask me how many times I've read Jojo Part 3; or don't), which definitely highlights which plot points and character moments are still impactful even when you're prepared for them.

That said, I mostly just skim read this thread to make sure everybody's playing nice, so I'm not too worried about reading stuff accidentally. My point is even if I do, it doesn't phase me or lessen my enjoyment of the work.

TriffTshngo posted:

The thing with Nami's fights is that, the few times she's gotten to fight someone one-on-one rather than just clearing out hordes of mooks with localized lightning storms, it's someone who's agile and clever enough to avoid her basic moves (though usually they'll still go down if they get hit by them), so she DOES have to get creative with the clima-tact. It's clunky against Ms. Doublefinger because she has no idea how to use it yet, but when she gets comfortable with using it it's a lot less fiddling with the functions and more implementing them in the right ways.

God I wish Nami would get a fight in the new world at some point.
Alright. The last time I read One Piece I quit around the Foxy fight which probably wasn't enough time for Nami to come into her own combat-wise. Something to keep tabs on I guess.

In the meantime, I'm excited to meet Blackbeard again. Even back when I wasn't so hot on One Piece I still liked Blackbeard enough to include him on the shortlist for my favorite manga villains.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

The best part about this development is the reminder that Whitebeard's family name is Edward.

Edwar D. Newgate

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The reason I like Zoro's fight in alabasta is because it's basically a culmination of all his training ever since he lost to Mihawk. Throughout all the preceding arcs, you see Zoro constantly training since he's still sore about the loss, as well as the whole stuck in candle wax gag in little garden. It isn't till Alabasta where he finally sees some insight on how to improve as a swordsman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

I thought he did get an antidote.

Pretty sure Robin gave him her stash of antidote and told him to let her die down there. Luffy of course took the antidote and than climbed out with Robin and Nefertiti on his back before collapsing.

I'm pretty sure she also got tagged with the poison hook though, so one of them probably was in desperate need of some antidote. Dr. Chopper?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Gyges posted:

I'm looking forward to Weeble getting destroyed by someone. Not a fan of dumb poo poo Lennies being controlled by their rear end in a top hat moms.

Hands down the worst part of the Adams Family movie.

"look at this"
"what's that, a mirror ??"
"it's a picture of whitebeard"
"ah, i thought it was a mirror"

was pretty funny though

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Kinda late, but that was actually Fester in the Adams Family movie.

I hope the same thing happens with Weeble where he is the legit son of Whitebeard despite seeming fake the whole time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Broseph Brostar posted:

Kinda late, but that was actually Fester in the Adams Family movie.

I hope the same thing happens with Weeble where he is the legit son of Whitebeard despite seeming fake the whole time.

I meant the part where he was a dumb Lennie being controlled by his mom. It was indeed a poor choice sense he actually was long lost Fester.

Really though, anything taking time away from Raul Julia in that movie was a bad thing.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
I still maintain that the fight between Usopp/Chopper and Mr. 4/Mrs. Merrychristmas is one of the best in the series.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Every Usopp fight is the best. Especially Luffy vs. Usopp which was heartbreaking.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Allarion posted:

Every Usopp fight is the best. Especially Luffy vs. Usopp which was heartbreaking.

Agreed. Usopp vs Chu and Usopp vs Luffy are easily among the best in the series

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
You forgot Usopp vs Perona.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
while i think usopps latest? two fights have been lackluster in their climax, i have a feeling they're there to allude to the fact that he will have emperor haki

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also just a theory for something that will happen relatively offscreen: weeble will meet marco, decide to rebel against blackbeard instead along with the crew, they actually stand behind weeble as their new leader and fight BB for revenge, but they lose and BB's crew gets WB crews old powers.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

anime was right posted:

while i think usopps latest? two fights have been lackluster in their climax, i have a feeling they're there to allude to the fact that he will have emperor haki

I hope this isn't the case because I'd love for Usopp to become a world-renowned warrior on bullshit alone.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Observation Haki only lets Usopp bullshit from further away. Leave the other two for Luffy and Zoro. And maybe Sanji.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Hey I heard we have a month long break, is that true?

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Can Ussop use haki? I kinda hope he can't.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Amorphous Blob posted:

Can Ussop use haki? I kinda hope he can't.

um he did already

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

i forgot

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Something just occurred to me. Based on the already established naming theme, the new warlord's name is not Weeble, it's Weevil. As in the insect.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

GodFish posted:

You forgot Usopp vs Perona.

I think it's a good one, but not as good as the ones I mentioned.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Usopp is objectively the best character in the series and he plays a big role in elevating this to something better than the average shonen, and I love and support him.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

Hey I heard we have a month long break, is that true?
if so I picked the worst goddamn time to reread and catch up.
Oda's legendary for his consistency as a manga-ka when it comes to releases right? But reading over the tortuous hundreds of pages during the Dressrosa arc threads here, it looks like he's been having health issues and stuff and breaks have been happening?

Anyway, my final thought on Dressrosa is that it's definitely an arc where plenty of cool poo poo happens but not an arc I'd like to have to actually physically read chapter by chapter again if possible, because it's kind of exhausting.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 4, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've heard he's a chainsmoker. Dunno if it's true.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Even pre-Dressarosa the breaks were pretty often. Sure he was legendary for his consistency like six years ago, before getting married and having a kid.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Bad Seafood posted:

I've heard he's a chainsmoker. Dunno if it's true.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the chapter usually come 3 weeks in a row then a week off and have since his daughter was born

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

ZiegeDame posted:

Something just occurred to me. Based on the already established naming theme, the new warlord's name is not Weeble, it's Weevil. As in the insect.

But Buggy is already a bug. And Law and Blackbeard never had one.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheFallenEvincar posted:

if so I picked the worst goddamn time to reread and catch up.
Oda's legendary for his consistency as a manga-ka when it comes to releases right? But reading over the tortuous hundreds of pages during the Dressrosa arc threads here, it looks like he's been having health issues and stuff and breaks have been happening?

Anyway, my final thought on Dressrosa is that it's definitely an arc where plenty of cool poo poo happens but not an arc I'd like to have to actually physically read chapter by chapter again if possible, because it's kind of exhausting.

Oda's not even in the top 10 when it comes to consistency wrt release schedule and never was

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

That'd make sense but Weevil is written differently than Weeble/Weible/whatever is in katakana. It might be the inspiration for the name though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="451004638"]
But Buggy is already a bug. And Law and Blackbeard never had one.

um hello Blackbeard the Cerberus. and uh law the... panther maybe

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Blackbeard and Law have been represented as a Hippo and a Snow leopard in merchandise, but afaik they've never really had an animal theme in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

oddium posted:

um hello Blackbeard the Cerberus. and uh law the... panther maybe
Trafalgar = トラファルガー = Torafarugaa

It's a stretch, but Luffy and people often refer to him by the first bit of his last name.