Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

In tyol 2015 who wants to hire someone with a hairy pubic area?

e: also the negros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Joe Gillian posted:

It's because the article is true. Also, Ortwin Freyermuth founded CIG with Chris Roberts, so his partiality in all of this is icing on the cake.

please stop there's too much icing

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Every guest at CitizenCon will receive a complimentary "I funded the lawsuit!" T-shirt

Also awaiting Hulk Hogan being announced as the keynote speaker

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

quote:

Corporate at Defy Media asked us to delay publication of this letter while investigating, but we feel strongly that the record needs to be set straight without further delay.
So with Roberts jumping the gun he might have hilariously sabotaged himself of any actual defence. If this ever got to court he also would have to explain his own massive worded response and justify that it isn't that isn't a form of slander towards the journalist - which is a likely defense on Escapist's behalf.

Also is this under UK law or US law? They're using one firm from each country.
UK libel laws are notorious for having a chilling effect where people are so trigger happy for libel suits, that many don't want to speak out against anyone out of fear of costly cases. For instance much of Jimmy Saville's actions were well known over the years but people feared that he would sue them into oblivion.

However Defy Media is based in the states and most if not all cross country libel suits have failed owning to a stronger freedom of speech in America. And there are procedures in place to stop against "libel tourism".
Even if it is settled in the states, Roberts would still have to prove that everything written by the Escapist and in part their ex-employees was completely untrue.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also good job at publishing a letter with Keefers personal email in the header. He's gonna get a lot of angry nerd emails.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
hmm i hate the escapist and star citizen so either way i win

also the fact that the starcitizen forum is happy their money is being spent on needless litigation is hilarious

Relin fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 4, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

WebDog posted:

Even if it is settled in the states, Roberts would still have to prove that everything written by the Escapist and in part their ex-employees was completely untrue.

This is precisely the part that makes all of this absurd as hell. I mean, even if they should somehow through the miracle of amazing idiocy win or settle in the end, they would still be required to open up their books, their internal info in a public court of law, to get there. The exact thing which The Escapist and everyone on the outside wants and that CIG has proven to REALLY not want.

There is no way in hell they can win this in any conceivable way, other than if they turn out to have done this part just as a publicity stunt to rally the faithful and haven't actually filed anything legal at all.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Get em, CIG!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That is not a letter you write if you are seriously considering litigation. That is a letter you write for PR purposes.

Now The Escapist have repeatedly said they ran everything past their legal department before publication, so they should be perfectly safe.

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007

WebDog posted:

Not just that, even more difficult is they have to prove that the Escapist KNOWINGLY published false information in order to damage CIG. Incompetence isn't enough. It's an incredibly high bar, and the death knell of most slander/libel cases.

CIG is walking into a jet engine.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Good morning schadenfriends! What's going ooo-- oooo ... oooaa ... ahahaha!

Good lord that letter isn't very professional. But it does read as written by somebody who believes himself wholly untouchable.

Fold or fight, this is going to be interesting.

I can't see it being a barrel of laughs actually having to work there through this though; can only imagine how oppressive the atmosphere is. Poor things.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
also this reminds me of http://southpark.cc.com/clips/155134/go-ahead-sue-me

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BanjoFish posted:

Not just that, even more difficult is they have to prove that the Escapist KNOWINGLY published false information in order to damage CIG. Incompetence isn't enough. It's an incredibly high bar, and the death knell of most slander/libel cases.

CIG is walking into a jet engine.

Don't kink shame.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Agrajag posted:

AHAHAHAHAAH this is the loving best thing ever! Praise the loving lord for dropping this GOTY! Oh god this train will never stop boys, ALLLLL ABOARD!

Might I also mention how aggressively worded that letter is that I am almost certain the letter is meant to scare the Escapist into backing down and that if the Escapist decides to push back then it would most likely be Crobizzle's worst nightmare of a result.

I agree.

If you're serious about suing somebody, you DO NOT TALK, because it can only be used to hurt your case in court. You DO NOT TALK publicly AT ALL about your case or ANYTHING related to the case, and you ESPECIALLY do NOT TALK to the person, persons, or entity who you are going to sue. (They did all of the above by sending a letter then posting the letter on their public website.)

Either this is a scare tactic, or they are complete idiots who have NOT hired legal counsel and have NOT been advised to SHUT THE gently caress UP AND ONLY TALK TO COUNSEL about the case or anything relating to the case. Based on everything we've seen, both are equally likely. :P

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

I worked in patent litigation for White & Case and while I never dealt with the Cooley firm directly, I did know of their reputation as a being pretty highly ranked in the Intellectual Property world. I do not know their experience with libel cases, but it is a pretty sizable firm so I would have to assume they have some people there who handle these things, especially because they are a Cali firm.

Edit: Turns out I know someone from law school who is an associate there now, but I have not kept contact with him enough to feel comfortable asking about this case. (He isn't in the libel practice group anyway)

RuckusRouser fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 4, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Thanks for all the insights on the law firms involved. Much appreciated.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

RuckusRouser posted:

I worked in patent litigation for White & Case and while I never dealt with the Cooley firm directly, I did know of their reputation as a being pretty highly ranked in the Intellectual Property world. I do not know their experience with libel cases, but it is a pretty sizable firm so I would have to assume they have some people there who handle these things, especially because they are a Cali firm.

Edit: Turns out I know someone from law school who is an associate there now, but I have not kept contact with him enough to feel comfortable asking about this case. (He isn't in the libel practice group anyway)

This Intellectual Property accolade probably comes from that copyright infringement case from 1971, by which any competent law firm would've won.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 4, 2015

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
As much as I hope to god this train wreck keeps on crashing, isn't it likely the escapist will just avoid spending the money to take this to court? I mean they either a: spend a lot of money on legal poo poo, or b: take down a news article and apologize to whiney nerds.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
we're sorry your uber space game is vaporware and the developer is pocketing all ur money and teh game u want will never be released lmao

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Joe Gillian posted:

This Intellectual Property accolade probably comes from that copyright infringement case from 1971, by which any law firm would've won.

I didn't work in copyright, I did patents, and I definitely remember speaking about some of their cases during "Water Cooler Talk" and happy hours. They represented Facebook in its patent case vs Yahoo. You can read an article about it here that doesn't have any legalese:
http://www.businessinsider.com/its-official-the-facebook-yahoo-patent-war-is-over-2012-7

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

Libel & First Amendment

Cooley lawyers have long been recognized as some of the nation's premier libel and First Amendment lawyers. The firm's lawyers represent, among others, television stations, radio stations, newspapers, magazines, book publishers, websites and documentary filmmakers across the country on a wide-range of issues relating to the gathering and dissemination of news, information and commentary. In recent years, the firm's clients have included some of the largest and most well-respected media companies in the nation, including Cox Enterprises and numerous television stations, radio stations and newspapers within the Cox family, Advance Publications, Allbritton Communications, The Evening Post Company, the Associated Press, ABC, CBS, Penguin Putnam, St. Martin's Press, Time and Newsweek.

The firm's libel and First Amendment lawyers have been cited in "The Best Lawyers in America" for their expertise in the field and in the National Law Journal for their significant defense verdicts. In addition, they serve in leadership positions with the country's principal media defense organization, the Media Law Resource Center.

The firm believes that educating our clients is critical to reducing their risk of liability. Its lawyers routinely provide clients with advisories about new rulings and on-site newsroom seminars, in which they employ video and other concrete examples demonstrating mistakes that have led to lawsuits, as well as approaches that can substantially reduce liability risks.

:allears:

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

As much as I hope to god this train wreck keeps on crashing, isn't it likely the escapist will just avoid spending the money to take this to court? I mean they either a: spend a lot of money on legal poo poo, or b: take down a news article and apologize to whiney nerds.

This is not going to court, any reasonable person can tell you that much. Win or lose, it would cost the Escapist's parent company more money in legal expenses than both the editor and author of that article make in a year.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Waiting for the new ship to release so they can fund their legal team.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

As for the libel case -- and I say this as someone who is NOT an expert in the field, I only had to deal with libel in my first year Torts class and during the bar exam, so the following is from memory, take it as you will -- I would say CIG has a pretty large hurdle to overcome because the Escapist made it pretty clear in its article that any statement about Sandi or the company was taken from an interview. The author also made liberal and widespread use of the word "allegedly" so it is not like they were trying to convince the reader "everything in this piece is undoubtedly factual".

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

RuckusRouser posted:

I didn't work in copyright, I did patents, and I definitely remember speaking about some of their cases during "Water Cooler Talk" and happy hours. They represented Facebook in its patent case vs Yahoo. You can read an article about it here that doesn't have any legalese:
http://www.businessinsider.com/its-official-the-facebook-yahoo-patent-war-is-over-2012-7

I've read about this. The specifics are muddied, as it seems to have been settled before any true legal action was taken, but it's hard to see Facebook losing this equation by any stretch. This is purely speculation on my part though, as you never know the exact specifics with settlements.

Anyway, CIG is still probably doomed.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 4, 2015

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Backing down against such a pathetic attempt at intimidation would basically torpedo their credibility forever. It might be the right move financially, but the optics on it are so absurdly terrible I think they'll end up calling Crobby's very obvious bluff.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

There is no way in hell they can win this in any conceivable way, other than if they turn out to have done this part just as a publicity stunt to rally the faithful and haven't actually filed anything legal at all.
That's the most likely scenario. It's performative and not an actual threat, because everything about Star Citizen is a performance because it is not an actual game.

Edit: I love that everyone was waiting for Star Citizen to implode, and when it finally started doing it, it did so in the most hilarious meltdown way possible.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 4, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if CIG will ammend the Escapists response even if it amounts to "nah, gently caress you"

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
5 pages of angry response from Ortwin with 3 themes and one threat.

Sandi was hurt.

The Escapist is unprofessional for using whistleblower sources.

Dont hurt Sandi.

We will sue you if dont apologise to Sandi.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Libel laws are different in the U.K., which is one of the two countries CIG threatened litigation in. In the U.K., the burden of proof is on the author/journalist.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
What happens if the escapist just ignores them, since everyone agrees cig won't win in court?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

madcow posted:

Libel laws are different in the U.K., which is one of the two countries CIG threatened litigation in. In the U.K., the burden of proof is on the author/journalist.

And how exactly would they get the case heard in the UK, when both companies are headquartered in the US?

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Did anyone notice how Ortwin brought up examples of how Sandi has African-Americans and people who are older than 40 on staff, but he didn't dispute that every woman must be clean shaven?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RuckusRouser posted:

Did anyone notice how Ortwin brought up examples of how Sandi has African-Americans and people who are older than 40 on staff, but he didn't dispute that every woman must be clean shaven?

iirc this wasn't unheard of in the past, but the UK has recently instituted laws to prevent, or at least largely deter, "litigation tourism."

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Prepare to be Freyermuthed.

Aidopunko
Oct 12, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

People seem to be surprised over how crazy the SC cult is.

Has everyone forgotten this?

http://youtu.be/blPpnnSOiwk

This can't be a real thing.

When this whole thing blows up, Salman Rushdie is gonna read news reports about Chris Roberts and think to himself that he had it easy.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Aidopunko posted:

This can't be a real thing.

When this whole thing blows up, Salman Rushdie is gonna read news reports about Chris Roberts and think to himself that he had it easy.

Pretty much. At least Salman Rushdie's plight isn't immortalized on the internet in such a way.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

RuckusRouser posted:

Yet ANOTHER stone in the obvious foundation that must be Sandi's hairy cooter discrimination policy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Nicolas Murfett

quote:

Nicolas Murfett is a Senior Associate in the Interactive Entertainment and Sport Groups. He advises clients on commercial, regulatory and intellectual property matters within the interactive entertainment and sports industries.
Nicolas’ work highlights include:
Advising Cloud Imperium Games on regulatory matters

CIG already had a relationship with Harbottle & Lewis in the UK, I wonder how CIG are going to explain who will pay the legal fees if this goes further.

• Locked thread