Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ I think level 9 gives you another two mil to play with on top of ranked battles ^^

edit: make that 3 mil :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My knowledge of the Russian navy in that era is a little hazy, but it isn't particularly flattering. They had a bunch of lovely old boats that sucked and got bombed. Some of them figured out that their lovely boats couldn't get sunk if they ran aground, so they did that, and used them for artillery. Then the submarines did some stuff.

The Germans were also pretty good at getting their ships blown up, but at least they built some of them and they were OK I guess.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

TehKeen posted:

^^ I think level 9 gives you another two mil to play with on top of ranked battles ^^

edit: make that 3 mil :)

You just blew my mind. I could only see 8 levels on the profile page, but then after your post I went there and mouse scrolled. Woweeee.

This UI, man.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

So I've come back to this game after burning out and not playing for a solid month. The Mutsuki is still meh but it feels like I can actually hit things with battleships now.

What'd I miss?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I've never really bothered with the ranked battles thing. Other than a few flags for moving up ranks is there a hugely compelling reason I should be doing them?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Top 6 stars combined give you 3 million in silver, over 600 flags, and 60 camoflages

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

TIL a New York can oneshot a Wyoming at max range with no citadel hits. :supaburn:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
When I was playing in closed beta, I was playing on a toaster that struggled to run the game at 20 FPS. Even still, I loaded the game much much faster than it's loading now. It was puzzling to me that the game would load so slowly on a computer that's much better.

Then someone told me that changing their textures from high to medium made them load much faster. I tried it, and my load times have been cut in half.

If anyone else is having load time problems, give that a shot.

Sperglord Actual posted:

TIL a New York can oneshot a Wyoming at max range with no citadel hits. :supaburn:

The Wyoming is kind of miserable. Those guns must have no penetration because AP just slides right off every BB I shoot it at. I thought it was me, right up until I took out Myogi and started punching citadels at 20KM.

At least it's really fun for shooting torrents of HE at squishy boats.

book
Nov 29, 2014
Buffed Colorado continues to be enjoyable.

Helps when the opposing t7s are Pepsicolas. Highlight was the Aoba that I double citadeled yelling in chat about being alt-tabbed to make a skype message.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
What 4-point skill I take on Furutaka? Advanced Fire Training and plane skill are obviously out so fire chance skill?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Wyoming is kind of miserable. Those guns must have no penetration because AP just slides right off every BB I shoot it at. I thought it was me, right up until I took out Myogi and started punching citadels at 20KM.

Huh. I was just coming here to ask if the Myogi has super lovely pen because I cannot seem to citadel anything with it, even at short range.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Wish I won that game, but it became 1v7 (3 Tirpitz, NC, 2 NO, Fubuki) so fast and I was being surrounded. I still managed to sink Tirpitz showing broadside at 11km, Fubuki 5 km off trying to torp me (I barely dodged), NO hiding behind island trying to cap and NC 6 km off showing broadside to me. However there was nothing I could do against remaining 2 Tirpitz charging at me head on :negative:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
This community is just the best, I got insulted for getting teamkilled. I should've stopped the flodding and it's my fault that the poor dude now has a teamkill that ruins his score. :allears:

I wish I made a screenshot by I was laughing too hard and the round was over shortly thereafter.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry but I play a drinking game when I play botes and whenever I flood a have to drink a pint of beer. Hic.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Discovered friendslist... Add me you bads. My boats name is Drakmon

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Lady Morgaga posted:

What 4-point skill I take on Furutaka? Advanced Fire Training and plane skill are obviously out so fire chance skill?

I took the fire skill (demolition expert or whatever), seems to work pretty good.

Im about to have another two points unspent in my Myoko, im thinking about taking the level 2 skill that lowers your fire chance by 7%. Sure id probably love to have AFT on the Mogami with its 155s, but I thats probably 200k away.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Do not take Fire Prevention, it doesn't work nearly as well as you think.

Also AFT owns for basically every IJN cruiser except the Furutaka.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
So I finally got the Farragut after unlocking it about month or two ago, but the only DD I had since then was Minekaze.

Second game in it, stock, no upgrades and retraining captain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ozeCBnBlQ

Its so nice having actual guns on DD again. :v:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Lady Morgaga posted:

Unless you're planning on keeping it (why) AFT is actually really good, because of the AA range increase. 8" cruisers should normally be firing more AP than HE, anyway.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
After fighting through the Myogi, I finally got the Kongo.

What a nice boat. I loaded AP because I was sure my guns would penetrate the things I shot at, and I was right. It's so nice having real guns that can consistently drive through armor.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What sort of ships can be penetrated by 120mm/127mm AP shells?

I decided to try AP and citadelled a couple of Kumas to death by shooting their sides while playing Nicholas and Mutsuki. Could I do the same against Omaha or Furutaka?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PirateBob posted:

What sort of ships can be penetrated by 120mm/127mm AP shells?

I decided to try AP and citadelled a couple of Kumas to death by shooting their sides while playing Nicholas and Mutsuki. Could I do the same against Omaha or Furutaka?

Yes. It's hilarious when you win a gunfight by rapid-fire citadeling someone with the Nicholas' guns. The Taco and Omaha are both vulnerable to this if they get overconfident, as is the Murmansk since it's an Omaha with bonus communism powers.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
Sat down with a buddy to play a few games, our first one out of the gate is just phenomenal.

Decided to take a break after such a stunning victory, the next game we were going to stop on wouldn't have been better.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always hated fighting Murmansks

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Gort posted:

I always hated fighting Murmansks

They are OP :shrug:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

gently caress pubbies forever

6 kill game, rest of my team manages 3 and loses. Special shoutout to the rear end in the Tirpitz who hugged the line the whole match trying to snipe. At least I got Confederate flags out of it

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

My teams have been full of constant disappointments as well, more than a few times where we were about to win and suddenly we lose out of nowhere. More often than not the majority of the team is dead barely 5 minutes into the round, those who remain are people who were playing smart..or afk.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So is the Myoko, or some subset of ships, bugged, or is there an income of credits that is not displayed on the result screen? Because I don't think I've seen this before with other ships, while I've definitely seen it with my Myoko before.

Here's a battle in my Myoko:

Supposedly received 125,719 credits base, and then had ~36,000 credits in rearmament and repair costs. I was at roughly half health as of the end of the battle.
Somehow, despite that repair fee, my final earnings came out to only ~1,000 credits less than the initial amount.

Here's a battle in my Hiryuu:

Here I received 207,535 credits base, and then had ~27,000 credits in rearmament and repair costs. Incidentally, I have no clue what the repair costs were for, since I took no damage in this battle and I was under the impression plane replacements fell under ammunition costs.
Here, the number given for my final earnings is correct, assuming the initial total minus repair costs.

I obviously don't mind receiving far more credits than I otherwise would seem to earn, but this is really weird. And I don't see this oddity every battle in my Myoko either - sometimes the numbers do add up - which adds to my confusion.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
When I got home a few hours ago, I sat down and thought 'gently caress, the first map load times might mess up my doubles on my big ships. Might as well play the Clemson first.'

:captainpop:

I have never carried so hard in any ship. A lot of the ships I killed were other destroyers, but I bagged a BB and harassed a number of much bigger boats with my little gun dingy.

As much fun as I had in the Clemson, I suffered in my Hosho. Getting my double for that thing sucked. The torpedo bombers are worse than the US's. The fighters are worse. Do Japanese carriers get any better, or do they just suck forever?

Whenever I fight a US carrier I feel like a kid trying to wrestle with his dad.

Oppressor
Nov 6, 2011

What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolent.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

When I got home a few hours ago, I sat down and thought 'gently caress, the first map load times might mess up my doubles on my big ships. Might as well play the Clemson first.'

:captainpop:

I have never carried so hard in any ship. A lot of the ships I killed were other destroyers, but I bagged a BB and harassed a number of much bigger boats with my little gun dingy.

As much fun as I had in the Clemson, I suffered in my Hosho. Getting my double for that thing sucked. The torpedo bombers are worse than the US's. The fighters are worse. Do Japanese carriers get any better, or do they just suck forever?

Whenever I fight a US carrier I feel like a kid trying to wrestle with his dad.
Japanese Carriers get outclassed pretty hard at T9-T10 by USN Carriers, They shine(More like used to shine) at Tiers 6-8 where they usually carrier snipe USN CV's pretty easy.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oppressor posted:

Japanese Carriers get outclassed pretty hard at T9-T10 by USN Carriers, They shine(More like used to shine) at Tiers 6-8 where they usually carrier snipe USN CV's pretty easy.

The supposed "balancing" factor at those tiers, where US carriers suddenly output significantly more damage in a wave, is that IJN carriers can launch planes more quickly than US ones. Because if everything from a single wave hits, there's just under a 52,000 damage difference between the two T10s. And while the damage differential between torpedo bombers specifically is merely ~16,000, which doesn't sound that bad, you need to remember that US ones have much, MUCH better spread patterns too, so they generally hit with more of their more damaging torpedoes as well. And while at lower tiers dive bombers are generally considered a joke, at the highest tiers they are fast enough, and ships are big enough, that a skilled CV player can get rather decent damage out of them, especially with manual drops which means the massive damage advantage along with larger squad sizes US ones have suddenly comes into play as well.

As for the difference in readiness times, before skills or modules are factored in there's a 32/23/12 second difference between the two, depending on exact plane type. And of course since the modules and skills which lower those times are percentage based, they help the US carriers more, which means that gap shrinks decently. In addition, the US ones have such deep plane stores that the common tactic seems to be to simply suicide their squads after they make their attack run, thus bypassing the flight time back, which is rather risky for IJN carriers to do since they have a significantly lower number of replacements, along with both being more fragile and having more squads to fill. Admittedly an Essex can still run out of planes doing so, but a Midway is basically never going to run out of planes ever, even if the player is extremely reckless.

So you're running into the issue that at T9-10 the two nations suddenly switch sides in what they're supposedly most effective at, despite Wargaming stating flat out what their specialties are supposed to be, with basically no warning for the players pursuing those lines. And you would probably still have WG staff claiming that the faster turnaround time somehow balance the much higher alpha potential at those tiers, despite the blatantly obvious issue that US ones can easily bypass that by suiciding empty squads with far more abandon that IJN ones. And that's even assuming that the huge damage differential would somehow be balanced even if they were playing "properly," which it really isn't due to the much better torpedo spread pattern and dive bombers.

edit: In case it wasn't apparent, IJN carriers are actually extremely good at fighter cover at those tiers. Partially because their air superiority loadout gets 4 fighter squads, which means they benefit more from the +1 plane skill, partially because WG is loving retarded and made having fast fighters an actual liability in WoWS due to how the Dogfighting skill works. The jet fighters on the Midway get absolutely stomped most of the time by their Hakuryu counterparts due to this.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 5, 2015

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

edit: In case it wasn't apparent, IJN carriers are actually extremely good at fighter cover at those tiers. Partially because their air superiority loadout gets 4 fighter squads, which means they benefit more from the +1 plane skill, partially because WG is loving retarded and made having fast fighters an actual liability in WoWS due to how the Dogfighting skill works. The jet fighters on the Midway get absolutely stomped most of the time by their Hakuryu counterparts due to this.

As long as I can fill the sky with fighters and hound enemy CVs, I'm fine with that. :toot:

I have no idea who's in charge of CV balance, but they suck poo poo at it, and that becomes apparent the second you start playing CVs.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Did the game gain any new players after the "launch"? At all?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So I'm thinking of getting back into this. On the note of best carriers, which nation runs the best destroyers/cruisers/battleships these days?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So I'm thinking of getting back into this. On the note of best carriers, which nation runs the best destroyers/cruisers/battleships these days?

There are still only 2 full tech trees, IJN and USN. Each line of DD/CA/BB has some bad ships and some good ships. It's not possible to say "IJN is better" or "USN is better" overall.

It depends on what you want from your ships. Maybe you should watch some review/gameplay videos, that'll give you a better indication than reading about them.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

PirateBob posted:

There are still only 2 full tech trees, IJN and USN. Each line of DD/CA/BB has some bad ships and some good ships. It's not possible to say "IJN is better" or "USN is better" overall.

It depends on what you want from your ships. Maybe you should watch some review/gameplay videos, that'll give you a better indication than reading about them.

I played this a lot in beta. I'm curious about changes. I remember at the endgame, the US was generally better at destroyers and cruisers, and I don't think there was a consensus in battleships.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

PirateBob posted:

Looking at Warshipstats, not really. It's not like people didn't start playing since OBT.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

PirateBob posted:

They're probably not going to gain a lot of players until they round out the trees a little more. I'm betting there will be a bump when the Germans hit, that's for drat sure.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think the playerbase is shrinking because the game is too boring and grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I started playing, along with a couple of friends in the last few weeks. I think the game is way too grindy though. It costs me 9k to go from a Wyoming into a Langley, but over 22k to move from the Langley to a Bogue? gently caress that. It just feels like you hit a brick wall at tier IV, and ships start demanding WAY more time investment.