Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

There has been a flurry of hotfixes in the last 12 hours. They must have bribed the guy that knows the code base to come back and fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Please. They're probably fixing typos, semicolons and commas.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
hey i got to lvl 7 and then the game went down and had a 3 hour queue, well thats it from me i guess bye

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh my god, the PVP is so bad. Nothing feels like it does any damage.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Verranicus posted:

Oh my god, the PVP is so bad. Nothing feels like it does any damage.

It's almost like every MMO that isn't purely made for pvp has awful pvp. :shrug:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

West Ham Sandwich posted:

It's almost like every MMO that isn't purely made for pvp has awful pvp. :shrug:

I like the PVP in WoW and FFXIV.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Verranicus posted:

I'm sorry.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

We know Aurins are particularly polyamorous and somewhat promiscuous. But I'm sure we all want more details:
1) On average, do females normally have one child, twins, or more like a litter? If the latter, do they normally have 2 nipples or additional sets?
2) We know it isn't unusual for a Matriarch to bear her consort's children, but is this traditionally a harem arrangement with multiple consorts, or do they normally stick to one at a time?
3) Do Matriarchs trade around their consorts from community to community to avoid multi generational inbreeding? If so, is there an event or celebration where this happens publicly, almost like a draft system? Or is it done behind closed doors?
4) We know Aurin love trees. But do they ever LOVE trees?
Thank you for your time!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Verranicus posted:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Wonder Turbine posted:

We know Aurins are particularly polyamorous and somewhat promiscuous. But I'm sure we all want more details:
1) On average, do females normally have one child, twins, or more like a litter? If the latter, do they normally have 2 nipples or additional sets?
2) We know it isn't unusual for a Matriarch to bear her consort's children, but is this traditionally a harem arrangement with multiple consorts, or do they normally stick to one at a time?
3) Do Matriarchs trade around their consorts from community to community to avoid multi generational inbreeding? If so, is there an event or celebration where this happens publicly, almost like a draft system? Or is it done behind closed doors?
4) We know Aurin love trees. But do they ever LOVE trees?
Thank you for your time!

Source your quotes.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Apparently when you login and get into a queue, you can click on change realm, select your realm again, and skip the queue...

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I really think the performance issues are just inherent to the code. I've seen some real slowdowns in the They Came from Fragment Zero! event, particularly when the ambush enemies spawn. I'll be tootling along, killing groups of 1~3 mobs, but when one of those ambushes comes up and I'm surrounded by 15 or so new mobs, everything begins to chug. Casts start going off like they're in a queue and I see TRIPLE KILL, OVERKILL, SUPER KILL STREAK or whatever 10 seconds after I've made said kills.

I played this game a fair bit at release and I don't remember performance glitches like these. It really feels like the server just can't keep up with the kill calculations.

EDIT: When I'm going through the lag-queue-ability-chug of these ambush spawns, it really looks like I'm throttled behind server recognition of the kills. In other words, there's a big group of 15 mobs around me and they're taking damage in logical manner without lag UNTIL a few of them die. At that point, nothing I cast works but the enemies are still damaging me until finally I get DOUBLE KILL...TRIPLE KILL, then the casts begin firing off slowly like they're clearing from a queue.

At release the game did not play this poorly, I must say. The very real problems with the game have already been stated many times: the terrible itemization, ridiculous 'hardcore' endgame philosophy, and the fact that even the solo content required too much effort. Being able to just PLAY the game wasn't a problem though. Telegraphs were reasonably accurate, lag was fine, and dodges worked.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 4, 2015

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Not making monster death something that scales well is a significant sign of lovely programming. Here's something that is guaranteed to happen constantly and endlessly, and instances are suddenly where it goes to poo poo?

This isn't like "ok, we had a graphic glitch". This is like "here's a core part of the framework, we never really figured out what to do with it".

Unless this is a known engine problem I'd be highly confused how this became an issue, and I did notice it being awful in that instance as well.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gameko posted:

I really think the performance issues are just inherent to the code. I've seen some real slowdowns in the They Came from Fragment Zero! event, particularly when the ambush enemies spawn. I'll be tootling along, killing groups of 1~3 mobs, but when one of those ambushes comes up and I'm surrounded by 15 or so new mobs, everything begins to chug. Casts start going off like they're in a queue and I see TRIPLE KILL, OVERKILL, SUPER KILL STREAK or whatever 10 seconds after I've made said kills.

I played this game a fair bit at release and I don't remember performance glitches like these. It really feels like the server just can't keep up with the kill calculations.

EDIT: When I'm going through the lag-queue-ability-chug of these ambush spawns, it really looks like I'm throttled behind server recognition of the kills. In other words, there's a big group of 15 mobs around me and they're taking damage in logical manner without lag UNTIL a few of them die. At that point, nothing I cast works but the enemies are still damaging me until finally I get DOUBLE KILL...TRIPLE KILL, then the casts begin firing off slowly like they're clearing from a queue.

At release the game did not play this poorly, I must say. The very real problems with the game have already been stated many times: the terrible itemization, ridiculous 'hardcore' endgame philosophy, and the fact that even the solo content required too much effort. Being able to just PLAY the game wasn't a problem though. Telegraphs were reasonably accurate, lag was fine, and dodges worked.

My game looks like a PS1 era spyro game, but gets worse performance the MGSV on ultra high quality settings. I assume its because the dev team cannot code for poo poo, or their servers are poo poo, or its both and how did these devs get permission to make an MMO?

Fake edit: The starter zones have had multiple cheerleaders stating the game was unplayable due to performance issues on release for them, but enough has been done they get 60fps on max settings. How did anyone ever run this game?

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 4, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Changing any/all of the default Carbine Addons to 3rd party ones can net you 10-20 FPS, because Carbine are poo poo. HTH.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Cyster you should for real be updating your resume this time.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just decided to install to see what the fuss is about, can't even log in. Credentials work on the website all day even after resetting but will not let me log in the game. Not hardcore enough for the authentication attunement apparently, uninstalled in shame

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Changing any/all of the default Carbine Addons to 3rd party ones can net you 10-20 FPS, because Carbine are poo poo. HTH.

What addons? Just all the ones on Curse?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anoia posted:

What addons? Just all the ones on Curse?

Forge UI is the biggest one since it replaces a TON. My understanding is the Unit Frames and Nameplates are the worst offenders

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Forge UI is the biggest one since it replaces a TON. My understanding is the Unit Frames and Nameplates are the worst offenders

I feel really bad I that got my alpha key from the UI designer way back when now.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Holy poo poo if this is true. :psyduck:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor McCheese posted:

Their entire UI is addons, most of which is horribly coded and CPU annihilating. Not only does ForgeUI replace a good chunk of it, it adds more features on top of running better :shobon:

I'm unironically enjoying the PVP game. Sit in Thayd, queue for PVP basically do nothing else.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
The games PvP is legit fun. It is a shame they made an utter mess of it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mayor McCheese posted:

You should be surprised when things actually function correctly.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

They insisted on a complete overhaul of the UI design pretty late in the beta for some reason. It worked okay before that.

I didn't really mind how the old version looked, either, it was just poorly organized.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
They overhauled a LOT of stuff VERY late in beta, if I remember right. Crafting I definitely remember being scrapped and completely reworked just before. It seemed like there was a very transparent decision to launch the game just to hit a window (before WOW released their exansion, I think?) no matter what the state of the game.

The UI that tracks my Settler quests crashes every time I 100% complete a zone.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Manifest Dynasty posted:

They overhauled a LOT of stuff VERY late in beta, if I remember right. Crafting I definitely remember being scrapped and completely reworked just before. It seemed like there was a very transparent decision to launch the game just to hit a window (before WOW released their exansion, I think?) no matter what the state of the game.

The UI that tracks my Settler quests crashes every time I 100% complete a zone.

WildStar was trying to beat ESO, and for a while it did look like the latter was more of a mess, if only just.

Then WildStar rushed a major content drop to coincide with WoW's expansion and that introduced that gardening plot duping bug that shattered the economy.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Colgate posted:

I am sure part of that was inflation due to that infinite money bug or something that destroyed the game's economy a while back.

A shame about this game's community though, it's the sole reason I won't give the game a second chance.

I'm shocked at how many of you are playing this thing again. I didn't enjoy a single thing about it and agree with the abov poster that it's not worth a second look.

That said: when will MMO makers realize that economic bugs are game-destroying and cannot be allowed to remain? Archage and neverwinter online both had these bugs. I immediately quit both of them and reversed charges I'd spent to buy funbux (not the game charges though; I bought it and played it).

I absolutely refuse to play a game where cheating is allowed by the devs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I would guess that they think the majority of MMO players won't read about, notice, or understand the impact of economic bugs/exploits/etc., so it probably just isn't a high priority on their list of a billion things to fix.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Anoia posted:

Source your quotes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/3ndihm/lore_questions_hit_me/cvn35p3

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Y'all gave me poo poo in this thread a year ago for saying it was at least a smart decision on Carbine's part to recognize putting their UI dev resources into making sure you could write robust addons instead of spending all that time redoing their own UI because there was no way they could make a good one themselves or at least compete with hobbyist developers (even Blizzard couldn't).

I didn't expect to be quite this right though.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Thursday Next posted:

That said: when will MMO makers realize that economic bugs are game-destroying and cannot be allowed to remain? Archage and neverwinter online both had these bugs. I immediately quit both of them and reversed charges I'd spent to buy funbux (not the game charges though; I bought it and played it).

By economic bugs do you mean "players can literally bot-farm cash shop money from their web browser"?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

TIL

quote:

Ah but they aren't always polyamorous.

And male harems are still called harems, sometimes reverse harems, sometimes stables.

thanks wildstar thread.:)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

So how hopeless is it for new players to buy anything on the auction house?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've been enjoying the explorer path pretty well when scavenger hunts aren't bugged. In the early zones at least it's much more forgiving when you screw up versus GW2 or TOR's datacrons, and the platforming feels much more responsive when the server's not lagging. It's the best implementation of jumping puzzle and platforming elements I've yet seen in an MMO.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Anoia posted:

Then WildStar rushed a major content drop to coincide with WoW's expansion and that introduced that gardening plot duping bug that shattered the economy.

It is not like their previous content drops hadnt been absolute disasters as well. I dont know if many people remember, but Carbine had initially promised monthly content patches. At first they did actually deliver on this but every drop included a slew of game breaking bugs. These bugs were being introduced at a game at a rate far faster than they were being fixed so by the time Carbine gave up on the monthly content drop promise most of the games player base were pretty happy about it.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

LordSaturn posted:

By economic bugs do you mean "players can literally bot-farm cash shop money from their web browser"?

That leadership script was my favorite part of Neverwinter and I'm sad it's gone.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

It is not like their previous content drops hadnt been absolute disasters as well. I dont know if many people remember, but Carbine had initially promised monthly content patches. At first they did actually deliver on this but every drop included a slew of game breaking bugs. These bugs were being introduced at a game at a rate far faster than they were being fixed so by the time Carbine gave up on the monthly content drop promise most of the games player base were pretty happy about it.

Yeah, what made the WoD/duping patch so hilarious is it was the first content drop after they decided to slow down and release them when they were ready, so everyone thought there wouldn't be any more game breaking bugs when one dropped.

And then the most game breaking bug of all happened.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

T..T....Tokaisan?

His son IS a goon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

LordSaturn posted:

Yep. And Archeage had swarms of bots teleporting from mob to mob. I watched it in stunned disbelief one night, having just come from the forums where the community manager assured us all it was overblown.

I bought some funbux because I am gainfully employed and value my time much more highly than the $20 / three days or whatever it would take to make the equivalent in whatever dumb game. I regret buying it most of the time, but c'est l'vie. I've only reversed charges when it was possible to cheat for money and the devs didn't fix it.

Did wild star do a rollback of their economic fuckery? I had quit long before that (I lasted to level 12) so I never heard how that one ended...

• Locked thread