Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

Dropbox?

Didn't know that would work for a save game. I can't find the save game location either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TorakFade posted:

Back again with the Italian super-renaissance: not even 1700 yet and I have kicked everybody's rear end. France and Spain are no threat anymore, actually nobody is a threat anymore besides the Ottomans - the Italy ambition of -50% unjustified demands coupled with influence + admin ideas mean I can kick rear end, take all the land I want, and core it almost all at once. With better relations over time people forget about my rear end-kickings rather fast too.

I have the largest standing army by a good margin, cheap mercenaries if I ever need them, 2nd largest navy (will be rectified once at diptech 24, with the +4 naval forcelimit building), and I'm allied to the HRE emperor Bohemia, Burgundy, Munster and maybe someone else like Switzerland.

Ideas: diplo-quantity-defensive-admin-influence, I must choose my next group but at this point I guess I can just go for whatever seems funny, right? I'm thinking offensive just for the siege bonus, or economic to strengthen my income which is uncomfortably close 'cause of giant army + navy. Other thoughts?

Also, what kind of challenge can I create for myself at this point? Tearing down the HRE? Taking the Ottomans head on?

Pretty sure you need to take Greece/Constantinople as well as liberate the Holy Land. At that point you might as well make sure you own every province bordering the Mediterranean.

MARE NOSTRUM!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fintilgin posted:

Pretty sure you need to take Greece/Constantinople as well as liberate the Holy Land. At that point you might as well make sure you own every province bordering the Mediterranean.

MARE NOSTRUM!

Mediterranean does mean "our sea" in Latin, so go be a good successor to the Roman Empire and own the entire thing!

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

TorakFade posted:

A question - I am allied with Great Britain and rival to France, and GB wanted to reclaim some cores on the mainland, so I thought I'd help them out; but while I'm sieging southern France and keeping them occupied, GB's 40k strong army is chilling in London, they didn't even try to cross the Channel.

Now, fighting alone against France and Spain while my ally has a full strength army in his capital and not using it kinda sucks, but if I peace out they will get angry at me.

Any idea why this happens? the Channel is not blockaded or anything, they could just load up on their boats and cross, but they just won't.

Britain is an infamously unreliable ally in every Paradox game because the naval invasion A.I. is temperamental at best. That 40k stack may disappear one day and reappear in the Canary Islands, for instance, and then stay there for the rest of the war. They won't even ask for it in the peace.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Node posted:

Mediterranean does mean "our sea" in Latin, so go be a good successor to the Roman Empire and own the entire thing!

Mediterranean just means "inland." You're thinking of Mare Nostrum.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Node posted:

Mediterranean does mean "our sea" in Latin

No it doesn't. Just looking at it, Mediterranean pretty clearly means something like "middle of the land," presumably because it's almost completely surrounded by land.

The Latin for "our sea" is right there in the post you quoted, though -- Mare Nostrum.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there any achievement related to unifying Islam? Asking for a friend.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

No, but there should be. That is a serious conquest. Maybe uniting Islam... as a nation starting with the Ibadi religion in 1444!

edit: There should be one for restoring the Pentarchy too, which would be a much easier achievement.

Node fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 4, 2015

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Didn't know that would work for a save game. I can't find the save game location either.

Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\save games\

You can also share some screenshots and we could figure it out, click your country shield in the top left then open the Stability and Expansion tab and get a screenshot of that as well as zoom out until your entire country fits on the screen, in political mapmode (shortcut W), and take a screenshot of that.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

fermun posted:

Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\save games\

You can also share some screenshots and we could figure it out, click your country shield in the top left then open the Stability and Expansion tab and get a screenshot of that as well as zoom out until your entire country fits on the screen, in political mapmode (shortcut W), and take a screenshot of that.

To take a screenshot hit F11. They're saved in a screenshots folder next to your saved games.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

double nine posted:

I swear there was an achievement for being a muslim and owning Cordoba, Istanbul, Jerusalem, Mecca, Delhi, and Jakarta or something like that, but I can't find it now. Was it removed?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
It's a decision that you can take for some nice bonuses but there's no achievement.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Werewhale posted:

I swear there was an achievement for being a muslim and owning Cordoba, Istanbul, Jerusalem, Mecca, Delhi, and Jakarta or something like that, but I can't find it now. Was it removed?

There is a decision for Muslims that require you to own pretty much every important historical Muslim province in the world, ranging all the way from Granada, Palermo, Baghdad, Thatta, and something else in Indonesia. And every province you own has to be Muslim.

I would have been able to check that with the Ottomans, once. Except I conquered Rome, and this was before development levels. The base tax of Rome had gotten so high that no combination of ideas, events, and inquisitors could make progress converting it. I guess I could have tried selling it, but it's frickin' Rome man.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jastiger posted:

They were a different religion so I began converting. It took time but it worked...on the one missionary I had. The rest rebelled snd kicked my rear end. The most manpower I could muster was about 22000. They had 4 armies each of 16000. And won every battle. How does that happen? How do I make my guys fight better? And how did they get such huge armies?
I don't quite understand trade either. Or how to start a war and take a province I have a claim to. I'll try watching some youtube Vids to see pacing but I'm confused. Heh.

In the early game, your biggest enemy is often not another country but your own people. Once a rebel faction's revolt percentage reaches 100%, they will take up arms against you - if you've made several provinces worth of your peasants mad at you, that can mean, as you found out, that they are a lot stronger than you. You should keep this in mind when making decisions, including what territory to take and how much. Taking several provinces of another religion and trying to convert them can be very dangerous until you are a great power. This is especially the case because Zealots, the rebels that rise in response to conversion, are much stronger than most other rebel types. It's not an indicator that your armies suck to lose to them - they always have a better general than you can usually have for yourself early, so they will win otherwise equal battles.

Additionally, newly conquered provinces have Nationalism, which is a hefty bonus to revolt risk that gradually fades over time as the province accepts being part of your empire. You should not try to convert a province shortly after conquering it unless you are confident you can handle any rebels that could appear, because an ongoing conversion adds even more revolt risk.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 4, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

In the early game, your biggest enemy is often not another country but your own people. Once a rebel faction's revolt percentage reaches 100%, they will take up arms against you - if you've made several provinces worth of your peasants mad at you, that can mean, as you found out, that they are a lot stronger than you. You should keep this in mind when making decisions, including what territory to take and how much. Taking several provinces of another religion and trying to convert them can be very dangerous until you are a great power. This is especially the case because Zealots, the rebels that rise in response to conversion, are much stronger than most other rebel types. It's not an indicator that your armies suck to lose to them - they always have a better general than you can usually have for yourself early, so they will win otherwise equal battles.

Additionally, newly conquered provinces have Nationalism, which is a hefty bonus to revolt risk that gradually fades over time as the province accepts being part of your empire. You should not try to convert a province shortly after conquering it unless you are confident you can handle any rebels that could appear, because an ongoing conversion adds even more revolt risk.

If you start Poland it was the two provinces to the South that were Marches and the ones next to them. They were part of Poland from the outset but got all pissed off when I lost some battles to the Teutons. Ugh. Good advice though, for sure.

Strangest thing about the save game, I have no save game folder there. I dunno if they are being saved elsewhere as auto saves, but it just isn't there. its there for Victoria, for Hearts of Iron, but I have no saved game folder in my EU4 folder. Crazy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Are you playing Ironman? If so the saves go to the Steam cloud, with local backups. See: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/where-to-find-your-savegames.877037/

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Node posted:

There is a decision for Muslims that require you to own pretty much every important historical Muslim province in the world, ranging all the way from Granada, Palermo, Baghdad, Thatta, and something else in Indonesia. And every province you own has to be Muslim.

I would have been able to check that with the Ottomans, once. Except I conquered Rome, and this was before development levels. The base tax of Rome had gotten so high that no combination of ideas, events, and inquisitors could make progress converting it. I guess I could have tried selling it, but it's frickin' Rome man.

conquer neighbouring province, convert to sunni (or shi'a), sell it back to the core-holder, wait for them to start converting it and declare war. Hope for Islamic fanatics spring up and convert rome for you in their rampage? I realize this is all long ago but that may be a way to circumvent the issue?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

conquer neighbouring province, convert to sunni (or shi'a), sell it back to the core-holder, wait for them to start converting it and declare war. Hope for Islamic fanatics spring up and convert rome for you in their rampage? I realize this is all long ago but that may be a way to circumvent the issue?

Probably. That was a long time ago and I was still learning stuff. It would have been easiest to give up Rome, but my pride was at stake.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a building that reduces inflation. Mutapa's gold mines are causing some issues.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Been a while since I've played this game, but looking at the steam reviews for the Common Sense DLC, everyone seems so buttmad over it. What's happened here? Is EUIV/Paradox on a decline or are pubbies being pubbies?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

BeAuMaN posted:

Been a while since I've played this game, but looking at the steam reviews for the Common Sense DLC, everyone seems so buttmad over it. What's happened here? Is EUIV/Paradox on a decline or are pubbies being pubbies?

People Idiots got mad because the patch that the DLC came with some changes to the base game that they didn't like.

double nine posted:

Is there a building that reduces inflation. Mutapa's gold mines are causing some issues.

Increasing your non-gold income is the only thing you can do other than having a master of mint. You should be able to massively dominate trade in your home node which can help a lot. Just make sure you have a very aggressive start so you can break out and start messing with East Africa and Arabia ASAP.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

BeAuMaN posted:

Dumb people are upset about the fort changes, which are in fact not part of the DLC.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

BeAuMaN posted:

Fort system changed in a way that upset a lot of people and still does to pubbies, even though it frankly makes wars a lot more dynamic and interesting. This came with a patch on the DLC launch day. You also need CS to improve your provinces with the new development mechanic, but it's such a monarch point sink that even with the DLC you'll barely use it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

People Idiots got mad because the patch that the DLC came with some changes to the base game that they didn't like.

Increasing your non-gold income is the only thing you can do other than having a master of mint. You should be able to massively dominate trade in your home node which can help a lot. Just make sure you have a very aggressive start so you can break out and start messing with East Africa and Arabia ASAP.

Oh no, I'm not playing as Mutapa. I'm playing as someone who conquered Mutapa.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

double nine posted:

Oh no, I'm not playing as Mutapa. I'm playing as someone who conquered Mutapa.

The same advice pretty much applies though. You can take economic ideas, get a master of the mint advisor and increase your non-gold income. Those are the ways to combat inflation.

Other than simply paying the 75 adm every once in a while.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry to interrupt, but..I can't find my save files. Where else would they be saved if not in the EU4 folder?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jastiger posted:

Sorry to interrupt, but..I can't find my save files. Where else would they be saved if not in the EU4 folder?

(my) documents/paradox/eu4/saves

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I bought this on release day and played about 80 hours before putting it down for a later date. I recall playing a game as Spain from 1444 to the 1700s and building a colonial empire, and playing Bavaria to around the thirty years war. Today I decided to pick up the major dlcs (except for common sense) and get back into EU. I was wondering if I could get a primer on all the changes since release, and maybe an interesting nation to play for my refresher game. For reference I have ~500 hours in CK2 and had a few hundred in EU3, so I'm no stranger to challenge and want to avoid playing England/Spain/France for the thousandth time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Get Common Sense

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's only logical.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

skasion posted:

Get Common Sense

This

So I decided to have an Ironman Russia game with no real goal in mind. And I have hit a little snag when it comes to the Europe theater.

For being heavy on lucky nations, Not many managed to survive to keep it.

The Ottomans had a very bad first war, in that they got dog piled by Venice, Mamluks and even Byzantium. keeping them alive a little longer than expected, Ottomans did come back, But not for long.

France...I am not sure what happened here, Burgandy seems to want to go big red blob, Netherlands revolted, and was quickly suppressed violently

Spain and GB have had very normal games, Austria too if you don't count loosing the HRE in the first week, giving it to Bohemia. like to belive I am in a strong position, But some one is in an even stronger one, The Commonwealth .

They are really insanely powerful and seem to have kept their lucky nation tag. wars are very painful since if I don't have stacks twice as large I will get destroyed in the first month from moral depletion . He is running around with 100k stacks. I can run around with 300k, if I could afford that in manpower and in gold per month.

I think I found my goal, Live long enough till I can throw enough manpower at the problem :v:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Sokrateez posted:

So I bought this on release day and played about 80 hours before putting it down for a later date. I recall playing a game as Spain from 1444 to the 1700s and building a colonial empire, and playing Bavaria to around the thirty years war. Today I decided to pick up the major dlcs (except for common sense) and get back into EU. I was wondering if I could get a primer on all the changes since release, and maybe an interesting nation to play for my refresher game. For reference I have ~500 hours in CK2 and had a few hundred in EU3, so I'm no stranger to challenge and want to avoid playing England/Spain/France for the thousandth time.

I really like playing in northern italy, so you can try that

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sokrateez posted:

There have been a whole lot of changes, via six expansion packs. Wiz became project lead and not incidentally, the three most recent expansion packs are the best, though there aren't any bad ones. New features include new mechanics for North, Central, and South American natives, autonomous colonial nations, a bunch of changes to trade, development levels replacing province base tax, lots of exploration changes, forts that block movement, a decent 30 Years' War, a custom nation builder...

I don't think it's entirely necessary to spend $10 on CS. The free features are very good while the paid features are definitely nice but none is very important. Some parts such as Karma just seem dumb for now.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Playing my first game of this (Have Art of War, Common Sense) and I managed to westernize as Korea. However, I just realized this gives Ming a westernized neighbor. Have I doomed the world? :ohdear:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I colonized a lot of the Bahamas as Portugal since there's some major trade nodes there and nice base taxes. The issue with all this is that I neglected my home in Europe and now there's once province left there.

I was just going to wait until the bitter end in Europe and continue life entirely in the new world. However my colonies don't seem fully under my control anymore? Worse, they are at 40% desire to become their own nation? Can I claim my colony as a new "hub" since my traditional lands are being swallowed up?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Playing my first game of this (Have Art of War, Common Sense) and I managed to westernize as Korea. However, I just realized this gives Ming a westernized neighbor. Have I doomed the world? :ohdear:

Ming doesn't conquer all that much, which means they're usually very up to date on tech, and so don't westernize. If you do the same thing in say, India, a wave of westernizations will spread from you. Incidentally, Wiz has acknowledged on the Paradox forums that the team considers both Westernization and keeping up in tech too easy, and would like to do something about it, but they haven't thought of a fun way to do it yet.

Avocados posted:

So I colonized a lot of the Bahamas as Portugal since there's some major trade nodes there and nice base taxes. The issue with all this is that I neglected my home in Europe and now there's once province left there.

I was just going to wait until the bitter end in Europe and continue life entirely in the new world. However my colonies don't seem fully under my control anymore? Worse, they are at 40% desire to become their own nation? Can I claim my colony as a new "hub" since my traditional lands are being swallowed up?

Once you have 5 core provinces in a colonial region, they form an autonomous Colonial Nation (CN), which you can never reabsorb. If you've lost all your home provinces, they'll be pretty sick of taking orders from you, hence the liberty desire. You can release them and select the option to play as them though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Note that 40% liberty desire isn't too bad; it's only once they get over 50% that there's an actual risk of rebellion.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Note that 40% liberty desire isn't too bad; it's only once they get over 50% that there's an actual risk of rebellion.

I had Persia (playing as Ottomans) as a vassal with 550% liberty desire at one point. They didn't do anything except sit around not helping during wars.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

Incidentally, Wiz has acknowledged on the Paradox forums that the team considers both Westernization and keeping up in tech too easy, and would like to do something about it, but they haven't thought of a fun way to do it yet.

Huh I'm surprised they think that. Yeah you can do it, but at the cost that you can't spend your points on very much else, whereas the western countries absolutely can. Even when they're not ahead in tech western countries have all sorts of other legs up over the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I read it as "westernisation and thus RotW states having good tech is too easy" rather than them thinking that the general RotW tech rates are too high (they're not).

• Locked thread