Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Fetches + Bofas is the kind of things dreams are made of. The lack of any way to punish greedy mana bases is gonna make fetches real valuable for the rest of their tenure.

I really wish they would've added at least spreading seas or something similar. All the land destruction being 4cc is just too slow, and there's nothing that even really disrupts people from running 5 colors. Also makes things like Siege Rhino better since the "drawback" of being 3 different colors doesn't really exist, and it makes monocolor (and even 2 color decks, in some ways) way weaker.

edit-there's just so little disruption in general. The counterspells are all kinda meh (at least compared to what I'm used to when I played a lot before), and the discard effects are minimal.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I think we could handle one Stone Rain effect in Standard at 3CMC, we just can't have any more than that.

1RR
Instant
Destroy target nonbasic land.

^ would be my dream.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Reprint Blood Moon :getin:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ungulateman posted:

I think we could handle one Stone Rain effect in Standard at 3CMC, we just can't have any more than that.

1RR
Instant
Destroy target nonbasic land.

^ would be my dream.

Just reprint Fulminator Mage. Make a quasi-functional reprint that costs 1RR if you can't fit hybrid mana in standard at a particular moment.

It's been shown to be a worthwhile but not overpowered card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AgentSythe posted:

Reprint Blood Moon :getin:

Honestly if they need an excuse we can just go back to Innistrad.

Like straight up a blood moon is pretty Gothic Horror.

Anything to bring the loving price tag down holy poo poo.

JerryLee posted:

Just reprint Fulminator Mage. Make a quasi-functional reprint that costs 1RR if you can't fit hybrid mana in standard at a particular moment.

It's been shown to be a worthwhile but not overpowered card.

No. Land Destruction is FEELBAD and thus, Red isn't allowed to have it's "thing" be good in standard anymore. Long live Demolish I guess.

Because who besides Red does land destruction. Green (about as well as red does now a days) and sometimes Black. Hell, that black uncommon that costs 5 or 6 mana is good enough because it also kills a creature. At instant speed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think tec edge would be fine, and it's a good incentive to run a deck with fewer colours.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly if they need an excuse we can just go back to Innistrad.

Like straight up a blood moon is pretty Gothic Horror.

Anything to bring the loving price tag down holy poo poo.

I already have the ones I need; I mean to blood moon people's current standard manabases

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AgentSythe posted:

I already have the ones I need; I mean to blood moon people's current standard manabases

Not everybody does.

I sold the one I used for EDH a while back during their spike because holy poo poo Norin EDH is boring.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sickening posted:

Can't have the cheapest competitive deck be too cheap.
I really loving hate magic.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
It's cool that the deck I've been testing for the last two weeks topped Day 1 of the Open.

Yes, Atarka Red is extra busted in the format right now.

I'm already preparing mirror-breaker tech for when the deck gets popular. Brutal Hordechief.

Edit: Holy poo poo all Atarka's Commands are gone from TCG. I bought a playset literally 6 days ago for $5 each.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Count Bleck posted:

Not everybody does.

I sold the one I used for EDH a while back during their spike because holy poo poo Norin EDH is boring.

I have mine I packed from chronicles. lol chronicles. Also I few I packed from modern masters and a hand painted one I picked up for like 10 bucks.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

qbert posted:

It's cool that the deck I've been testing for the last two weeks topped Day 1 of the Open.

Yes, Atarka Red is extra busted in the format right now.

I'm already preparing mirror-breaker tech for when the deck gets popular. Brutal Hordechief.

Edit: Holy poo poo all Atarka's Commands are gone from TCG. I bought a playset literally 6 days ago for $5 each.

Huh, I have all the old mono red stuff, a playset of Atarka's commands,, and 4 wooded Foothills. Have the decklist?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Just main deck 4 Arashin Clerics. Problem Solved :colbert: Also Mantis Rider seems REALLY good now but it's kind of hard to fit it into something especially since Soulfire Grand Master just seems so meh.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 4, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

anglachel posted:

Huh, I have all the old mono red stuff, a playset of Atarka's commands,, and 4 wooded Foothills. Have the decklist?

Here's my current build after going 5-0 at FNM last night (We split the final table but I won when we played for fun)

//Lands
8 Mountain
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Windswept Heath
2 Cinder Glade
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Forest

//Creatures
1 Goblin Heelcutter
1 Brutal Hordechief
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Monastery Swiftspear
3 Zurgo Bellstriker
3 Lightning Berserker

//Spells
1 Become Immense
3 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Atarka's Command
4 Dragon Fodder
2 Titan's Strength
4 Wild Slash

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Brutal Hordechief
SB: 1 Duress
SB: 3 Self-Inflicted Wound
SB: 2 Outpost Siege
SB: 4 Roast
SB: 2 Arc Lightning
SB: 2 Goblin Heelcutter

I'm considering cutting an Exquisite for another pump spell. Additionally, the toughest card to beat in the new format is Shambling Vents. There's just no clean removal for it.

Abzan gets destroyed by the black cards in the sideboard. Also, if you play Atarka's Command correctly, turning off their lifegain from Rhinos/Clerics basically wins the game.

qbert fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 4, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Oh that's delightful. And I have almost all of it already. I loved the Atarka red deck, hated when the mono-red seemed to take over. Glad I hung onto my stuff.

I also need to get my Swiftspears altered into Taylor swiftspear.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Reprint Blood Moon and Wasteland and Rishadan Port (creative: have Gideon declare some new settlement Rishada) and make mana as contentious as it is in Legacy.

Swiftspear will be the best creature because you can play it on T1, before your mana goes away forever.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Reprint Blood Moon and Wasteland and Rishadan Port (creative: have Gideon declare some new settlement Rishada) and make mana as contentious as it is in Legacy.

Swiftspear will be the best creature because you can play it on T1, before your mana goes away forever.
If all your ports and wastes get blood mooned, you can still play all your swiftspears! :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
reprint brainstorm in knockoff-avengers-set, please

also ponder, and preordain, and young pyromancer, and delver of secrets, and force of will

I want to play UR delver in standard feat. treasure cruise

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

eSporks posted:

I really loving hate magic.

My decision to stop playing modern/standard and focus on Commander 2 years ago continues to pay off in spades. I know lots of goons have a low opinion of Commander, but once you have a deck or two going it is waaaaaaay easier on the wallet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Once you start caring about fun per dollar, no form of mtg is a good investment besides maybe draft (and even then I don't think it edges out a good board game).

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Huh, no Kolaghans Commands? Looks interesting. Also Fiery Impulse seems like it would be good in the board? (to shoot Jaces and Mantises) Also a 1 of Tasigur seems like it would be good in this deck.

Also what are your thoughts on Touch of the Void for Hangarback/Den Protector/Deathmist hate?

I'm also confused by Goblin Fodder, and Hordeling Outburst, what do they syngergize with? Seems like Radiant Flames or Languish would just wipe em no?

Also is Read the Bones not good in this type of deck?

Zonekeeper posted:

My decision to stop playing modern/standard and focus on Commander 2 years ago continues to pay off in spades. I know lots of goons have a low opinion of Commander, but once you have a deck or two going it is waaaaaaay easier on the wallet.

I've found that the premade products are perfectly fine for Commander. You get big plays, but it also rewards knowing how to pilot decks. There is also a relative lack of "man thats bullshit!" that shows up in some commander decks.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 4, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Counter point: no one is going to let you get away with playing mind seize out of the box.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

anglachel posted:

Huh, no Kolaghans Commands? Looks interesting. Also Fiery Impulse seems like it would be good in the board? (to shoot Jaces and Mantises) Also a 1 of Tasigur seems like it would be good in this deck.

Also what are your thoughts on Touch of the Void for Hangarback/Den Protector/Deathmist hate?

I'm also confused by Goblin Fodder, and Hordeling Outburst, what do they syngergize with? Seems like Radiant Flames or Languish would just wipe em no?

Also is Read the Bones not good in this type of deck?
Fiery Impulse is a maybe if Jeskai becomes more popular, which it isn't right now. You already have 4 Wild Slash for Jace. Tasigur is not what you want to be spending your delve on.

You don't want to play slow removal to out-grind their Den Protector/Deathmist type cards. You want to go wide and kill them ASAP.

Fodder and Outburst synergize with Atarka's Command and pump spells, the whole reason you're playing the deck to begin with. T1 Swiftspear, T2 Fodder, T3 Outburst, T4 Command is 23 damage.

Languish is slow and you can play around it if you look at their lands. Who cares about Radiant Flames? Most decks don't play red, and of the decks that do play red, like 80% of them are aggro decks that would never play Radiant Flames. So maybe 1 in 15-20 decks you come across play Flames.

Read the Bones is not meant for this deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone experimented with that Origins Pegasus with the Thalia effect to increase convergence counts?

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
snapcaster mage was a mistake and breaks the color pie! *prints a blue walker w/ snapcaster ability*

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Henron posted:

snapcaster mage was a mistake and breaks the color pie! *prints a blue walker w/ snapcaster ability*

did wizards ever actually say that snaps was a color pie violation, or was that just people in this thread.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I think Maro has said that the effect is more in line with what red usually gets, and if he had the chance to make the card today it would be red. He hasn't said that it violates the color pie, and it was blue because Tiago wanted a blue creature for his card. Basically it could be either, probably fits red better, but is fine as is.

E: Here someone asked about it on reddit.

Mark Rosewater posted:

Tiago Chan made the card as a blue card so we were trying to respect his wishes. The ability is primary red and secondary blue so yes, I probably would have made the card red if I had my way.

That said, the card wouldn't even have existed if not for Tiago.

Could have been red, but isn't breaking the color pie by being blue.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 4, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Honestly you could've put the minus ability word for word on Chandra Roaring Flame and she'd probably be a hell of a lot better for it. They told us they were trying to move red away from being solely good at killing things, making a Walker with the ability to do other things besides kill things would've probably been a good start. But instead we got Chandra, Shockmachine.

Then give Jace mini FoF again and everyone would still play it. It would also still probably be 60 bucks on tcg.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, let's see. What do we have for price spikes?

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy - A 4 of in every blue deck in the new format which includes the super popular 4- and 5-color MyGoodStuff.dec being played.
Atarka's Command - The premier card for any RDW/Landfall variant.

What about rotation creeps?

Anafenza, the Foremost - Rhino Decks are still really good, and this nukes Hangarback Walker.
Hardened Scales - It's now worth the price of a pack. Lots of Johnnie Hardened decks popping up. A G/W variant seems to be doing fairly well at the open.
Den Protector - At the highest price it has ever been. Again, is a 3 of or 4 of in every green deck including the 4- and 5-color MyGoodStuff.dec.

Shockers

[url]http://mtgstocks.com/cards/29246]Bring to Light[/url] - I'm really wondering how the hell this thing hasn't been bought out yet like Abbot of Keral Keep was when it first cracked the scene. Speaking of which...
[url]http://mtgstocks.com/cards/28745]Abbot of Keral Keep[/url] - I guess everyone already got their playset on the first rush? It is going to be just as much a staple as Atarka's Command, so...?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone experimented with that Origins Pegasus with the Thalia effect to increase convergence counts?

Honestly, I can't see which spells would make the most of that which aren't already 5 cmc. Painful truths at 5 might as well just play Ob Nixilis, and Radiant Flames would be killing the Pegasus along with it anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It is still early yet but the cheapest jace on tcgplayer right now is 85

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

It is still early yet but the cheapest jace on tcgplayer right now is 85

magic the gathering finance. New Jace more than JMTS.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

jassi007 posted:

magic the gathering finance. New Jace more than JMTS.

You might even say Tiny Jace is the Gold Standard.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I drafted last night -- people really don't value the cheap Allies. I got 7!! Kalastria healers and didn't drop a game all night.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Jace being so high now helps me keep my time honored tradition of never playing Blue in Standard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really regret not getting Jaces and Deathmist Raptors now. At least I have my Hangarbacks. :negative:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is only like 2-4 bucks below Jace, The Mind Sculptor on TCG now. :stare:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
90 loving dollars for jace? It might be time to open origins boxes. Jesus Christ.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Friend got me a fat pack. Really disappointed they didn't include the pretty art for the expeditions in the player's guide. No expeditions in there - looks like my luck ran out. Oh well.

E: like you'd think they would include them to get new players psyched about collecting them but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Didn't Architect of Thought also jump like this when it came out?

• Locked thread