Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

i saw another one of these and they come off as really defensive and probably won't accomplish what they're hoping it will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

To be fair, idiot number one will make waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy more money than the ge guy, all while getting free catered lunches, shuttles, massages, state of the art equipment, free phone, social outings, free alcohol, in office keg. While ge guy gets an okay salary, a last Gen hp laptop with the most stringent av and proxy, none of the other perks, and has to relocate, on his own dime, to Richmond Virginia all for the privilege of getting yelled at by middle management for not doing it the "six sigma" way.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

To be fair, idiot number one will make waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy more money than the ge guy, all while getting free catered lunches, shuttles, massages, state of the art equipment, free phone, social outings, free alcohol, in office keg. While ge guy gets an okay salary, a last Gen hp laptop with the most stringent av and proxy, none of the other perks, and has to relocate, on his own dime, to Richmond Virginia all for the privilege of getting yelled at by middle management for not doing it the "six sigma" way.

yeah exactly

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i dunno if they're deliberately missing the point or not. gonna guess they are

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

i saw another one of these and they come off as really defensive and probably won't accomplish what they're hoping it will

i have no idea who their audience is for that ad

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
People who don't yet hate GE and want to have a job that's useful. Naive high schoolers, basically.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

the horrible laptop is definitely consistent with my experiences in corporate america, but everything else makes no sense

* as far as i can tell, "old economy" firms pay way the gently caress better than startups.
* GE is a global giant and the HQ is in CT. what does bumfuck virginia have to do with this?
* since when do corporate jobs not pay relocation?

are you actually comparing GE to google/facebook? at the SV giants, you get pay and benefits and stock grants like corporate america, but you get dumb perks like a startup. win/win

if you work for a company that runs entirely off VC dollars to put hats on cats in an unprofitable mobile app, you work for slave wages while people yell at you for not finishing fast enough

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 4, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
on a related note these are the latest zazzies-type things to blow millions of dollars on ad campaigns

http://selfeo.com/
https://go90.com/

i have no idea what these products do, but they involve mobile phones, so that's enough to solicit tens of millions from desperate investors

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Peztopiary posted:

People who don't yet hate GE and want to have a job that's useful. Naive high schoolers, basically.

lol yeah, what kind of idiot would want to do something that's even slightly useful to society when they could get a job selling people's personal information to advertisers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

lol yeah, what kind of idiot would want to do something that's even slightly useful to society when they could get a job selling people's personal information to advertisers

to be fair to GE-haters, up until like six months ago, GE's primary business was trading stocks/bonds/debt. they were a financial firm that incidentally performed other functions like manufacturing nuclear plants and turbines

recently they have been liquidating all the financial stuff to concentrate on research and manufacturing. go figure

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have no idea what these products do, but [...]solicit tens of millions from desperate investors

why would they need to do anything else?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

maniacdevnull posted:

why would they need to do anything else?

i guess we've come right back to the dotcom bubble poo poo where founders didn't even pretend there was a possibility of exit, you just hire your douchebag friends and gently caress around all day while yelling at the idiot software developers and earning "junior executive" salaries

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i think ge is still a big deal in the mic, sooo if that doesn't float your boat

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

they could work for a defense contractor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

i think ge is still a big deal in the mic, sooo if that doesn't float your boat

what is the mic

edit: it is the airport code for minneapolis. i'll bet minneapolis is a really nice place to live. six months a year

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i guess we've come right back to the dotcom bubble poo poo where founders didn't even pretend there was a possibility of exit, you just hire your douchebag friends and gently caress around all day while yelling at the idiot software developers and earning "junior executive" salaries

trying to remember the phrase lowtax had yelled at him over and over. 'empower the users' or something like that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what is the mic

edit: it is the airport code for minneapolis. i'll bet minneapolis is a really nice place to live. six months a year

no that's msp

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

military industrial complex. that thing Eisenhower kept warning us about

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bassguitarhero posted:

who cares what some hippie German had to say about the US :rolleyes:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what is the mic

actually it's really bad and also we're full, please don't come here.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bassguitarhero posted:

pinko commie libtard

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

your job in an "ethical" field squeezes someone else out. the job you didn't take at Evil & Compamy will still be filled

hm,

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Elysiume posted:

I want to volunteer at habitat for humanity again but their requirements are so much more stringent than what I'm used to (it was more casual in my old city) so I haven't gotten around to it

it's been almost 15 months :sigh:

i used to do it a lot in nola but yea you need to sign up a couple of weeks in advance minimum

tho i'm p sure you can go work in the ReStore w/ a quickness and you can always buy stuff from their online storefront

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh yea and if it's not a weekend day then you can prolly just roll up to a jobsite w/ your release form in hand and they'll take you no problem

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

owns btw

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

oh hey perfect segue

here's a good talk by a smart dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

this guy rules

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the people driving googlers to work are smarter than you. tw: gawker media

if they strike the frothing rage and :qq: is going to be beautiful

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

also from the erstwhile leftwingers around here

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

they could work for a defense contractor

yes, that's one example of a lesser evil than advertising

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the horrible laptop is definitely consistent with my experiences in corporate america, but everything else makes no sense

* as far as i can tell, "old economy" firms pay way the gently caress better than startups.
* GE is a global giant and the HQ is in CT. what does bumfuck virginia have to do with this?
* since when do corporate jobs not pay relocation?

are you actually comparing GE to google/facebook? at the SV giants, you get pay and benefits and stock grants like corporate america, but you get dumb perks like startup. win/win

if you work for a company that runs entirely off VC dollars to put hats on cats in an unprofitable mobile app, you work for slave wages while people yell at you for not finishing fast enough

I was recruited by GE, they offered a pretty decent salary, but no relo and it was bums in seat in Richmond virginia. So, just speaking from personal experience

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol an ad to watch an ad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also from the erstwhile leftwingers around here

oh we're very progressive and egalitarian around here.

what's that? those motherfuckers want to bargain collectively for a better deal? grind their asses into the curb!

oh i support unions, i just don't think it a good fit here

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Soricidus posted:

reminder that GE used to make literal nuclear weapons

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

anything made to burn the world to a cinder can't be that bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this warms the cockles of my heart

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

the purpose of making nuclear weapons is to deter nuclear war by making it so terrible that it would never be rational to use a nuclear weapon

the purpose of advertising is to trick your way into people's subconscious minds and undermine their free will

i know which of those sounds like a more ethical goal to me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oh i support unions, i just don't think it a good fit here

i think unionization is a non-starter among software people. it's hard to measure output and wages vary widely. workers have a lot of ability to change jobs. the incentives just don't line up.

the catch is that tech firms have shitloads of people who are not pampered and powdered IT staff. there are hundreds of thousands of clerical staff, non-IT operations staff, security staffers, janitorial staffers, caterers etc who are being abused every god drat day, who really do have a case to unionize. and they should.

if google et al really believe in "don't be evil," they won't fight organizers, and they'll accede to (some) union demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Soricidus posted:

the purpose of making nuclear weapons is to deter nuclear war by making it so terrible that it would never be rational to use a nuclear weapon

the purpose of advertising is to trick your way into people's subconscious minds and undermine their free will

i know which of those sounds like a more ethical goal to me

this would only work if people were rational actors.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if google et al really believe in "don't be evil," they won't fight organizers, and they'll accede to (some) union demands.

they don't; actually they got rid of this motto in 2009. Alphabet employees still believe it though, wow I'm making all this money and helping save the world just by working here *smells farts*

• Locked thread