Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the other telltale games are a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

EccoRaven posted:

dope is for dopes :sax:

Wrong again, Ecco.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

Yeah the other telltale games are a lot better.

I've heard amazing things about the walking dead game.

I really like the game of thrones one though, I meant "awful" as in "I didn't pull myself away until 6am"

Meinberg posted:

Wrong again, Ecco.

says the addict.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh.

I played most of the first episode and it didn't grab me at all, and I really like ASOIAF and other telltale games.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Walking Dead S1 is a truly fantastic game. The creative leads behind that project left Telltale after making it, and the stuff they've made after has followed TWD S1's template, but hasn't had the same spark.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm curious, and I'm sorry if the question comes off as a little condescending, but, how did you guys ever start smoking, anyway? I won't pretend to be perfect - I've smoked two cigarettes in my life - but even then I knew they were mistakes and felt appropriately shameful the next mornings. Was it teenage nihilism? Drunken accidents gone too far? Genuine curiosity?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For me it was the 80s and my dad smoked, so I started stealing his cigarettes because my friends and I wanted to be cool.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

Was it teenage nihilism?

can confirm taste smokes

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

I'm curious, and I'm sorry if the question comes off as a little condescending, but, how did you guys ever start smoking, anyway? I won't pretend to be perfect - I've smoked two cigarettes in my life - but even then I knew they were mistakes and felt appropriately shameful the next mornings. Was it teenage nihilism? Drunken accidents gone too far? Genuine curiosity?

being 19 and doing what your friends do.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty content to have never smoked a cigarette ever

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah Walking Dead is insanely good. The Wolf Among Us is fun but it doesn't hits those peaks.

EccoRaven posted:

I had a stint of being a social smoker for a couple of years. That is I'd smoke only if I were offered to smoke. The first time I smoked was with a friend who didn't like smoking by herself so I said I'd join her. It was a cold CT winter at UConn and it seemed so stupid to be standing 10 minutes in the cold that I never really picked up the habit or the addiction. I do enjoy the flavor, taste, and sensation though.

Unrelated:
Help guys do I or do I not buy Crypt of the Necrodancer for half off? Or do I wait for christmas sales...

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Unrelated:
Help guys do I or do I not buy Crypt of the Necrodancer for half off? Or do I wait for christmas sales...

necrodancer is goty, please buy it.

here are my qualifications:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Walking Dead S1 is a truly fantastic game. The creative leads behind that project left Telltale after making it, and the stuff they've made after has followed TWD S1's template, but hasn't had the same spark.

Season 2 was so close to being a good game, but it really needed a few rewrites to tighten up the story.

The entire first half it seems to be setting up the Kenny vs Luke dynamic for Clem, but then it unceremoniously abandons Luke by making him go crazy then drown for no reason and makes it about Jane. It should have been about Luke or Jane in the beginning and making Clem choose between Kenny who becomes increasingly unstable but reminds her of Lee and the time they spent together, talking about family, and someone who has a more pragmatic but ultimately harsher view of the world.

There's also the fact that if you save someone from dying they completely disappear from the story and just die due to causes beyond your control later anyway. I worked my rear end off to save Sarah from that trailer and then she gets maybe 5 lines of dialogue after that and then dies due to balcony collapse for no reason.

The core story was fine, but it definitely needed some polishing.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
its amazing how quickly the attractiveness of someone drops when you find out that their favorite book is atlas shrugged

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pinterest Mom posted:

necrodancer is goty, please buy it.
Seconding this.

uranus posted:

its amazing how quickly the attractiveness of someone drops when you find out that their favorite book is atlas shrugged
Also seconding this.

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Walking Dead S1 is a truly fantastic game.
And this.

Episode 5 of Life Is Strange is dropping soon, so I can give y'all word on if it sticks the landing or not then. So far, it's been a really cool twist on the Telltale Consequence Game formula.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EccoRaven posted:

Curiosity. I was on a small school trip with a few people from the year above (I was 16, they were 17) and they all smoked. Each night we went off to a tiny lovely bar that would sell us booze. It was the first time I'd been out drinking and partying and they all smoked so I wanted to see what it was like. It was all right and I wanted to fit in so I kept doing it. I've never been fussed about the health implications cause life at 80 looks boring as hell anyway.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think today I will impulse buy a fish fossil on ebay

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
now that might make an okay shoe

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

EccoRaven posted:

My dad's smoked all my life, so I've been around second hand smoke all my life. Wasn't much of a choice from there.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Klungar posted:

Hey Lumpen, what's the use-case on this Rock-n-Play Sleeper? Getting the kid to go to sleep? General calming them down? Doesn't seem to be particularly useful for those with my kid yet, but he may just need to grow into it.
When my baby was new, it was tough to get him to sleep, and the best way was to put him in his car seat and swing him forward and back for several minutes. He fell asleep and stayed asleep better in the car seat than in his cosleeper bed or anywhere else, but it's not good to let a baby sleep very much in a car seat or a swing. When we finally got the Rock n' Play, finally we had a sleep solution that worked great. It let him snuggle down swaddled in a cozy place that was shaped more like the car seat, and I could rock him without having to pick up and swing the heavy car seat. He went from waking up every 60-90 minutes to just every 3-4 hours, so it was a big quality of life improvement. He never liked the vibration feature so we never used it. He slept in that thing until he was over 6 months.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

UGH... I think... I think I'll wait for the Christmas sale. If it went half off now, it can only be the same or lower then and I've a lot of games to get through now that'd be good to get off my radar before I pick it up. The anticipation will make it better, also I need to be careful with money. I should have a full-time job by winter so I can afford it then. Ok. Thanks for giving me second opinions though. I demoed it on my brother-in-law's rig and only stopped playing it because I wanted to beat it on my own computer eventually. I know that that or Terraria will be next purchases and I can only imagine how little time I will have when I pick either of those up. Can't wait.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
The Telltale games since walking dead are all worth playing just to have an opinion on them. They're all good even if only some of them are great. But its a cool medium worth supporting IMO.

Pmom what have the creative leads of the walking dead done since walking dead? I thought the only thing they had worked on was Firewatch which isn't out yet?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

Cigarettes are great and make you feel great and cure all manner of illnesses and maladies, just from being close to that sweet, sweet smell of burning tobacco.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BottleKnight posted:

The Telltale games since walking dead are all worth playing just to have an opinion on them. They're all good even if only some of them are great. But its a cool medium worth supporting IMO.

Pmom what have the creative leads of the walking dead done since walking dead? I thought the only thing they had worked on was Firewatch which isn't out yet?

I have Jurassic Park queued up. Though I don't have high hopes for it. Seeing they've made a Minecraft one seems disheartening. I can't get into Minecraft as a game anymore as it is. I feel like it's just very repetitive now. Pity because I used to like it so much, such a great game for sheer exploration.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Some friends and I will play minecraft once in a while for an evening, trying to go from some barren wasteland and build it up, but yeah, I feel like once you hit some level of sustainability it loses its interest. It usually only takes us an evening, even on the hardest possible maps.

And I mean hard maps.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Crap. I forgot about Jurassic Park.

Tell me how you like Jurassic Park, 100Yrs. I hear it's... Not Good.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Minecraft is... bad.
Terraria is... good.

How is Starbound?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Anybody play Cities: Skylines? I've been on the fence about it since I got my computer back and everytime I see it I want to buy it but I don't.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

a, i need your number~

BottleKnight posted:

People who have worked on Jurassic Park think Jurassic Park is bad.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Even though I am the sound guy, because I was not the first one here, other people have taken control of the music playing during load-in and construction.

Therefore, my penance for being out last night is suffering through showtunes today.

They got pizza though, so it's not all bad.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Anybody play Cities: Skylines? I've been on the fence about it since I got my computer back and everytime I see it I want to buy it but I don't.

Did you like Simcity 4? Then buy Cities Skylines. If you never played that game then idk. It's just a really good citybuilder. I need to play it more.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BottleKnight posted:

I'll let you know next month. In an attempt to move through my steam list, I decided this year to beat at least 1 game per month. I buy less than I beat so in like 5 years maybe I'll be done.

Asiina posted:

Some friends and I will play minecraft once in a while for an evening, trying to go from some barren wasteland and build it up, but yeah, I feel like once you hit some level of sustainability it loses its interest. It usually only takes us an evening, even on the hardest possible maps.

And I mean hard maps.

I agree. My final phase of minecraft was nomadic. Scrounge the land for food, survive the night and rinse repeat, but always always on the move. All the while I'd try to upgrade my equipment. Again it's fine but then every mine just turns out being the same. It's the finest tool still for creativity, but it's a bit lacking in terms of progression and goals. I hear Terraria is the opposite so I'd like to try that out.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like playing survival maps, and there are a lot of them. Usually they're only good for a few hours, but that's fine, there's always more of them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Like I said the hold on me was the exploration. Seeing what was behind another mine tunnel, or climbing a mountain just to see a huge vista, discovering an island after days of sailing. I love exploration games. It was what sold me on Windwaker and that sort of sailing is something that'd make me buy a game up in a heartbeat.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

That's the only reason I really want to play No Man's Sky. I just want to explore. I am not interested in any online persistent multiplayer where tryhards can just kill me and get better stats in every way. I just want to be a humble astronaut explorer, finding relics and gathering minerals.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Meinberg posted:

Minecraft is... bad.
Terraria is... good.

How is Starbound?

I'm more inclined to build interesting things in Minecraft than in Terraria. Minecraft blocks are of a rational size for building---by the time I've built like a room in Terraria, I've done so much little fiddly poo poo with the tiny blocks, I don't feel like building anymore. I like Terraria's combat early on, but the way difficulty scales after the Wall of Flesh is completely unreasonable, and there's so much content locked behind hardmode that the usual "that's all optional" argument is a crock of poo poo.

Starbound is for people who thought Terraria wasn't fiddly enough. The first planet I landed on, I don't think I ever found any coal. That's really necessary to proceed.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Starbound is for people who thought Terraria wasn't fiddly enough. The first planet I landed on, I don't think I ever found any coal. That's really necessary to proceed.

You can use wood instead of coal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also the whole spreading hallow/crimson/corruption thing is terrible, since the only way to deal with it is to build vast tunnels and towers to insulate your holdings and other natural resources from the spread until you can beat the hardmode bosses, which I can't do, even with the best gear available at that point.

Like, the pre-hardmode bosses have something in the neighborhood of 2500-8000 HP. The hardmode bosses start at like 23,000 and go up from there. There's no way in gently caress you're doing 10x your pre-hardmode DPS without the materials that the hardmode bosses themselves drop.

It's very badly balanced.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Meinberg posted:

You can use wood instead of coal.

ISTR the furnace requiring coal to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BottleKnight posted:

That's the only reason I really want to play No Man's Sky. I just want to explore. I am not interested in any online persistent multiplayer where tryhards can just kill me and get better stats in every way. I just want to be a humble astronaut explorer, finding relics and gathering minerals.

If it ever comes out for Mac let's make an exploration guild.