Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Esroc posted:

So, uh..Ironman mode keeps turning itself off somehow. Every time I try to play with it activated I can only play for a couple decades before the game reverts back to normal (saves stop being encrypted, autosaves switch back to yearly, console becomes enabled).

It's kind of annoying because I have no self-control and it's the only way I can keep myself from abusing the console.

I had this problem too, and managed to fix it. I think it's because the game loads and then sets the checksum, which you can see on the main menu. Try waiting until it's done before loading your game. I only noticed this when I tried to load a game, noticed it was corrupt, then backed out to the main menu to try to load another - and then discovered the first game was totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Is there a way to change your religion? I'm sick of my bishops giving taxes to the pope.

If that's your problem just set up one of them as an antipope. That solves it right away, and as a bonus gives you the option to press the antipope's claim on the legitimate papacy and now EVERYONE'S bishop taxes go to you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're Catholic and want to become pagan, the only way I know of is to have your heir educated by a (preferably zealous, preferably gregarious, preferably diligent) pagan. And then hope you die soon because everyone in your court will hate him and vice versa, when he returns a pagan.

Gregarious does nothing for religious conversions by tutors, only zealous and diligent matter there (while only gregarious and diligent matter for culture conversions).

Also, prepare to get a lovely heir back, since zealous is by far the worst trait for a tutor, apart from the increased chance of conversion.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure the only death text if you were whacked is "died under suspicious circumstances," or I think maybe if you're a kid you might get "died in an accident". "Died of poor health" just means the RNG hosed you. It's what you get if you just randomly die when you're still young (under 45, I think), which is low probability but can happen even in your 20s and even if your Health score is high.
Thanks for clarifying, in an MP game I had a streak of rulers all coming down with something and dying in short order, so I was wondering if there was some shenanigans going on my spymaster was too incompetent to detect.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Torrannor posted:

Also, prepare to get a lovely heir back, since zealous is by far the worst trait for a tutor, apart from the increased chance of conversion.
Theoretically true, but in practice it doesn't make much actual difference. The biggest factor is the RNG.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm Byzantine emperor and since I've reigned for near 50 years and I'm all around awesome so every single vassal I have has an opinion rating of 100 for me. And I have 50 vassals. I've been an elective monarchy since my first ruler, my father, and I'm trying to get my youngest daughter, who is a genius and unbelievably skilled in everything, to be my heir. When I die soon she'll be only around 20 so the situation is basically perfect. But only 14 of my vassals will vote for her, instead opting to vote for my medicore son. I know that female rulers get a negative bonus but literally every vassal I have loves me, why aren't they voting my way? And I can't just kill him either because the game won't let me plot against him for whatever reason.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Because she's female. The baked-in preference for a male successor where one is available is very strong.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there anything I can do about it? I can't plot against him so assassination is out. And I can't make my heir a bishop.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I don't even think getting rid of him would help. They'd probably just gravitate to some other male family member. Elective mechanics have changed to the point where it seems like their job is largely to aggravate the player because game balance and all that guff.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean even if the guy they currently favor dies the electors will probably turn to a brother or nephew or something. If you're not ironmanning you can just savescum to test, but I think you're going to have a hard time getting them to elect a woman.

e: f;b. In response to McD: Yeah, back at Charlemagne they made Elective a lot harder to deal with unless your character is a diplomacy god that's ruled for decades. Elective is supposed to be an undesirable succession law, like everything else that isn't Primogeniture.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I granted one of my councillors a land title thinking it would make him a vassal. I've done it before with my rulers kids and they stayed in my kingdom but this dude hosed off to his own earldom

Edit: now the cocksucker fabricated a land claim. I'm going scorched earth on his rear end.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 4, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I granted one of my councillors a land title thinking it would make him a vassal. I've done it before with my rulers kids and they stayed in my kingdom but this dude hosed off to his own earldom

Edit: now the cocksucker fabricated a land claim. I'm going scorched earth on his rear end.

If you grant someone an equal or higher title they become independent

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

If you grant someone an equal or higher title they become independent

Yea shortly after that post I'd realized I'd forgotten to actually establish the duchy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When playing Charlamange does it make any difference if you burn the sacred tree or not for the huge Saxon rebellion?

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

When playing Charlamange does it make any difference if you burn the sacred tree or not for the huge Saxon rebellion?

It helps lower Germanic moral authority, and subsequently makes the region easier to convert.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

How does this happen?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Baron Porkface posted:

How does this happen?

You capture the province containing Irminsul, and you get the decision about what to do with it.
Which is bloody annoying, since I've it doesn't appear to even need to be Karl doing it, I've seen it happen in minor border skirmishes, but if you don't capture that territory during the war, you can't do it afterwards.

EDIT: Yeah, any Christian ruler who sieges Paderborn can do it, unless you can arrange it such that Saxony isn't held by a Germanic Saxon, or Charlemagne isn't an independent ruler and there aren't any other independent French Kings or Emperors before 830, or you can keep all the French Christian kings at war until 830.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 4, 2015

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This game is great. I just assassinated someone and the message I got was that he was caught between crossfire from the depository and grassy knoll and that the lone bowman theory successfully convinced them I wasn't involved.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I played a horselord briefly last night. I was so confused.

Before that my reformed roman empire basically started to crumple. Got the brunt of a gigantic jihad taking Armenia. I should have had the men to get the job done but attrition out in the mountainous areas, the fog of war because I hadn't extended that far in that direction, for some reason levies respawning really really slowly and that I had just been in another war all just conspired to totally gently caress me. Once I said gently caress it have those poo poo counties I got a rebellion against me which fine I was dealing with but then a second rebellion and then another adventurer all within like 3 years. The worst thing about the rebellions was they all seemed to like me plenty, Most of them were 30+ in favour of you. This game. Time for a different tack.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Horse Lords are really fun, especially once you get the snowball rolling. I think I only lost one war in the 180 years I played, and that was because I was actually pretty OK with a new major clan in Anatolia. On the other hand, between revolts in pillaged provinces and the need to constantly expand, you will always be at war. It may be easy, but it's never a dull moment when you ride with the Khans.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

With Horse Lords, can sons from any culture be sent off to form a mercenary company or is that just for nomads?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

jfood posted:

With Horse Lords, can sons from any culture be sent off to form a mercenary company or is that just for nomads?

Nomads only; it doesn't seem to want to allow you to snag the merc traditions modifier from other buggers either; it might only work within dynasties.

Is supposed to allow you to keep merc-ing when you settle though.

Edit:
Yea, looks like it's in uhh hl_mercenary_events in the events folder but I'm poo poo at reading through them; looks like there's one for when you're a dad and one for not but bugger me if I can make heads or tails of it.

VVVV

Try the Bolghars, both in the Charlemagne when they tag-teaming with Bulgaria and when they're the only muslims there later on are pretty fun.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 4, 2015

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I finally got Horse Lords and have been playing from the Genghis bookmark. It's pretty fun, even though the Mongol Empire is super easy mode. What are some interesting and challenging nomad starts?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I was about to ask that as well, things are pretty dry around 769

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Okay, I was just looking at the start screen and here's my idea: Charlemagne start, Khaganate of Turkestan, go Zoroastrian and then head westward, bringing light and wisdom to the savage pagans of eastern Europe

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

super fart shooter posted:

Okay, I was just looking at the start screen and here's my idea: Charlemagne start, Khaganate of Turkestan, go Zoroastrian and then head westward, bringing light and wisdom to the savage pagans of eastern Europe

It's pretty easy to roll every pagan of the world into your grazing lands once the snowballing starts, feudal holdings take a while to burn down though and you have to guard it against uprisings. Also your vassal khans can't pillage, they just subjugate folk with holdings and ruin the landscape with buildings.

I'm not really sure what to do after leveling all the pagans - imprisoning all khans, absorbing clans and settling as a tribe makes you lose pretty much all the power you had. I suppose you could give out the hundreds of tribal holdings you get from that to your dynasty members for maximum infighting, and eventually reform to feudal. Settling as feudal or republic outright is even worse, and the new kagan will trample all over you.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 5, 2015

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Pyromancer posted:

It's pretty easy to roll every pagan of the world into your grazing lands once the snowballing starts, feudal holdings take a while to burn down though and you have to guard it against uprisings. Also your vassal khans can't pillage, they just subjugate folk with holdings and ruin the landscape with buildings.

I'm not really sure what to do after leveling all the pagans - imprisoning all khans, absorbing clans and settling as a tribe makes you lose pretty much all the power you had. I suppose you could give out the hundreds of tribal holdings you get from that to your dynasty members for maximum infighting, and eventually reform to feudal. Settling as feudal or republic outright is even worse, and the new kagan will trample all over you.

I saved and tried settling as feudal once before just to see what happened - it seemed pretty good actually, provided you've got a lot of non-nomad land and feudal/iqta vassals. Plus, all your horde troops live on as event spawns, so it's not like you're losing too much military power. It seems like that decision lets you keep all that stuff, you only lose the clans and any tribal vassals you've got.

How do you settle as a republic? I haven't even seen that option come up.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also, anyone that hasn't tried being a Horde in a non-horde part of the world should try it. Just use the "set_government nomadic_government CHARID" command and go nuts.

I've been trying this between crashes, and it really is pretty fun. I started as 769 Dublin, and it only takes a couple years to get rid of those useless tribal settlements and churches. The 500 horses the game generates when you run the command can hold you until your manpower increases past that point, but you will have some opportunistic assholes (Looking at you, Ulster) trying to pick on you because of your perceived difference in numbers.

I also tried it as Ghana, and that's significantly less fun, you need to piss off all your vassals to get the good grazing land, but once you've deposed all of them you can commence the bulldozing. Because that is the land your bulls will doze on. And then you've got that band of terrible land to conquer before you can get to poking the Muslims.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
So this is on sale on Steam, but the DLC is 5x the cost of the base game. What do I really need?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Big Sean posted:

So this is on sale on Steam, but the DLC is 5x the cost of the base game. What do I really need?

All of the expansion packs

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Big Sean posted:

Nothing really, I played quite a while without bothering with any of it. You've got like 40 hours waiting for you between you and learning the game on retard island and taking spain in another game anyway. Way of life is nice, so is the rome one and the viking one but you've got a lot of game in front of you no matter what you do.

All the packs are good though, i haven't bought sunset invasion but the others are all interesting.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Big Sean posted:

See the previous page, but the one you need need is Way of Life, since that adds a lot of cool RP actions that play into the dynasty-of-majesty style of this game. Other than that, each of them with the possible exception of Sunset Invasion adds interesting mechanics that make the game more fun and interesting.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why is Saladin Levantine in the game? I thought he was Kurdish.

Baron Porkface posted:

How does this happen?

If you take Saxony the Child of the Forest rebels with twelve thousand men behind him because you burned his weirwood or some poo poo.

I think they might also still rebel even if you don't burn it because I imagine they're pretty pissed about some foreigner coming in and taking all their poo poo and telling them their gods aren't real and also chopping of the heads of several thousand people for not converting properly. Which I don't think you can actually do in the game, or at least I didn't get an event for it. Maybe they didn't feel like putting in an event for what basically amounts to ethnic cleansing.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

IIRC, you can enact the Massacre of Verdun. It even has the flavor text "I shed blood of Saxon men!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I just got this because it was on sale (got the complete pack with everything, although I haven't installed it all yet)

I'd played the demo so I knew how big the learning curve would be, but... I'm still totally lost.

Sometimes thing pop up, like another character proposing an arranged marriage. I have never gotten to accept one of these, because the popup always goes away before I can answer. Are things like this gone forever if you miss them, or is the a screen somewhere that shows recent things other characters have done/proposed?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

So I just got this because it was on sale (got the complete pack with everything, although I haven't installed it all yet)

I'd played the demo so I knew how big the learning curve would be, but... I'm still totally lost.

Sometimes thing pop up, like another character proposing an arranged marriage. I have never gotten to accept one of these, because the popup always goes away before I can answer. Are things like this gone forever if you miss them, or is the a screen somewhere that shows recent things other characters have done/proposed?

You should pause once in a while. You can't see them again.

But if our children are all married, the AI proposals are probably going to be about some Lowborn courtier you don't care about.

Big Sean posted:

Adding to what people have said, you can grab African Portraits and Mongol Face Pack, just to make things look right. Iberian Portraits is also good. They just add new faces to the game.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 5, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And can you give me a crash course on how I'm supposed to expand my territory? I've tried dispatching my spy master to fabricate claims, but they seem to die of old age first, and when I am at war with someone, besieging their capital and winning doesn't seem to let me take it over, I can just demand their surrender, which doesn't even pay for the war.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I had a vassal rise against me and I stomped him out but I can't negotiate for peace because it says he has holdings held by another local warlord.

I can't find those holdings anywhere. Is there a way to find it with the console or something?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ashgromnies posted:

I had a vassal rise against me and I stomped him out but I can't negotiate for peace because it says he has holdings held by another local warlord.

I can't find those holdings anywhere. Is there a way to find it with the console or something?

have you tried cycling through the titles on his character sheet? Who else is he fighting?

Snak posted:

And can you give me a crash course on how I'm supposed to expand my territory? I've tried dispatching my spy master to fabricate claims, but they seem to die of old age first, and when I am at war with someone, besieging their capital and winning doesn't seem to let me take it over, I can just demand their surrender, which doesn't even pay for the war.

Aside from a few exceptions, in CK2 you're always going to fight for a specific region or title. When you fight for a title. occupying the provinces that make up that title, even if it's just a single province, is the first priority (after destroying enemy armies, of course). Smash enemy armies, occupy the land you're fighting over, and if that's not enough, then start going for the rest of their land. The capital is good to occupy if it's close, otherwise attrition might come into play.

If you don't occupy the objective of the war, the enemy receives a growing bonus to their War Score for it. And you're not going to negotiate over your war objectives: either you get what you started the war for, or you don't (you surrender or declare a white peace).

As a Catholic (or Christian), you have a lot of options for expansion, but not necessarily many opportunities to use them:

1) Reconquering de jure territory. If somebody else holds your rightful land. If you're someone's de jure liege, and they're independent, you can vassalise them through diplomacy.

You can also conquer de jure territory for your vassals. This is good because it also improves their opinion of you, but will not benefit you as much directly

2) Holy war. If you're surrounded by infidels. Crusades aren't the best for this, unless they're for land right next to you. This is going to be either Muslims or Pagans most of the time, and they're going to be tough. And they'll have neighbours who will join in to defend them, so be prepared and hire mercenaries (and disband them once you start running out of money, your enemy probably won't recover fast enough that you need them anymore).

3) Marriage and inheritance claims. And don't just marrying heirs and heiresses to each other, this is important. Kings and heirs will die early or be overthrown, and marrying the first daughter of the King of France might pay off huge after two generations. What's important is getting Claims, weak or strong. It's not an exact science, so hedge your bets with marriages to the children of rulers whose lands you want. Pressing your spouse's or claim is the most straight-forward method. Your child will also inherit claims when a parent dies, which is they key to this strategy.

This obviously works best for realms with more straight-forward succession (like Primogeniture), which you can see by hovering over a character's titles on the character screen, but you never know what might happen.

And again, you can also press claims for your vassals or courtiers, but it's preferable to do this if they're vassals and will still be ranked lower than you.

4) Fabricating claims. This is actually pretty slow, but it's the one where you have the most choice, so it's necessary if want some place or title specifically. Claims on counties are more likely than higher titles.

The important thing to remember is that as a Catholic (or Christian), you're plans of expansion are going to be in long term unless you're surrounded by infidels. Pagans, Muslims, etc can expand much faster, but they're more about straight-up conquest rather than complicated legalities. The focus there is on grabbing land, and less on century-long marriage plans. They're a completely different game. With Republics you focus on conquering territory where you trade, or the above mentioned methods.

That's how I mostly go about it. There's a guide on the CK2 wiki for specifics.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Be a nomad. That way you can attack basically anyone you want whenever you want for no real reason. With invasion CB you can even take all of their land in one go since you get the area you declared the invasion for and anything else you occupy the top holding of.

• Locked thread