Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

A dog who snaps at people walking is dangerous and should be put down. You seem to have some fantasy view of dogs and their behavior.

Yeah, a view shared by the dog expert who evaluated her and now based on the evaluation, the Seattle Animal Shelter who wanted to put her down in the first place. I hope more people shared our fantasy view honestly.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

A small kennel?

As soon as we finally buy a house, definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Your puppy will one day chew on a wire which will burn your house down or get injured in some other horrific way because puppies are psychopaths. Get a crate. You can buy them and have them delivered internationally. It's piss easy.

tbf crating is illegal in a lot of countries

but surprise surprise, there are alternate solutions besides 'just let it rampage wildly through the house and pray it fixes itself'. unsuprisingly, it's usually containment pens or kennels, imagine that~

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah, we can't do that unfortunately. It's not the only solution to this.

We take all devices off the socket when we leave. No crating for me thanks, it's not how we keep dogs in this part of the world.

What are you on about?

on that jennydog website they talk about how they were offered free training classes from SAS but didnt take them up on it and instead opted for "outdoor adventures" and unstructured hangout time

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Hey guys, I'm not getting a crate, period. It's not something we do here, never has been never will.

This can be fixed with training, no need for a crate or a pen (although I would def use a pen if it were an option right now).

Okay crate, xpen, whatever. Your dog's a poo poo and you're a loving idiot.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

tbf crating is illegal in a lot of countries

but surprise surprise, there are alternate solutions besides 'just let it rampage wildly through the house and pray it fixes itself'. unsuprisingly, it's usually containment pens or kennels, imagine that~

Yeah, and there are solutions without the need for pens or kennels, imagine that. Uhh also i never said I'll let it rampage wildly through the house and pray it fixes itself, lol. What the gently caress are you on about?

Triangulum posted:

on that jennydog website they talk about how they were offered free training classes from SAS but didnt take them up on it and instead opted for "outdoor adventures" and unstructured hangout time

Oh, I missed the part where they turned training down. That's stupid, I'm glad my buddy is more responsible now.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Okay crate, xpen, whatever. Your dog's a poo poo and you're a loving idiot.

Oh please.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 30, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
my current lgd puppy had to be inside for a while while she recovered from a staph infection, and since it was temporary I didn't bother with a pen or a crate because its only a few days right

ive raised a lot of puppies and i quickly puppy proofed stuff so im good

she fished the cord of a plugged in, running box fan out of the corner I'd carefully tucked it into and chewed it in half. it popped and she yelped and it's a loving miracle she didn't get badly electrocuted. this happened while i was one room away from her.

dogs gonna keep loving up all your poo poo if you dont contain it dude, use baby gates if you absolutely can't fathom a loving xpen

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I maybe could use a baby gate to shut him in the uhhhh vestibule? (google translate gave this word, basically small hall) but still i'm sure he'd be abled to gently caress something up if he wanted. We'll see.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

I maybe could use a baby gate to shut him in the uhhhh vestibule? (google translate gave this word, basically small hall) but still i'm sure he'd be abled to gently caress something up if he wanted. We'll see.

Get a crate I helped bye bye friend dude

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Crate crate crate crate. America is not the world you know.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The anti chew bitter sprays work pretty good.

Extra tall pet gates are cool.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
Is this the place to talk about my new puppy? I hope it is.

So my wife tells me about two months or so ago that her boss's husband found a "german shepherd mix" puppy on the side of the road. They took her home with the intention of getting her healthy and finding her a new home. After a couple weeks they became attached and decided to keep her. My wife's boss would bring her to work and my wife absolutely loved her. About two weeks ago, they had a number of health/family issues and, heartbrokenly, asked my wife if we wanted the dog because they didn't have the time for a puppy anymore. We talked about it and decided she would be a good fit in our home.

My wife brings the pup home and I took one look at her and was a little disappointed. She's clearly not a german shepherd, or even that young of a puppy. Had I known, I'd have helped find her a different home since small dogs are easier to place than large breeds and found a larger breed to rescue. Oh well, she's in our house and I'm attached already since I'm a big sucker for dogs.

She's a great pup, though. Very curious and friendly. She gets along great with the older basset/beagle mix and our cat. I'm guessing she's around 6 months old and a 100% pure breed mutt.

I think we are naming her Wicket, since I was expecting a Wookie but ended up with an Ewok.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Diggie posted:

Is this the place to talk about my new puppy? I hope it is.

So my wife tells me about two months or so ago that her boss's husband found a "german shepherd mix" puppy on the side of the road. They took her home with the intention of getting her healthy and finding her a new home. After a couple weeks they became attached and decided to keep her. My wife's boss would bring her to work and my wife absolutely loved her. About two weeks ago, they had a number of health/family issues and, heartbrokenly, asked my wife if we wanted the dog because they didn't have the time for a puppy anymore. We talked about it and decided she would be a good fit in our home.

My wife brings the pup home and I took one look at her and was a little disappointed. She's clearly not a german shepherd, or even that young of a puppy. Had I known, I'd have helped find her a different home since small dogs are easier to place than large breeds and found a larger breed to rescue. Oh well, she's in our house and I'm attached already since I'm a big sucker for dogs.

She's a great pup, though. Very curious and friendly. She gets along great with the older basset/beagle mix and our cat. I'm guessing she's around 6 months old and a 100% pure breed mutt.

I think we are naming her Wicket, since I was expecting a Wookie but ended up with an Ewok.

Yes, it's true, GSD mixes are not GSDs and sometimes don't look that much like them!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
She def looks like she's got some GSD in her to me though Heinz 57 dogs do often tend to looks shepherdy so who knows. She's cute AF tho

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
You think? She seems really small to have any GSD in her. My disappointment didn't last long because she's great. Super friendly and knows not to mess with the cat.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I mean there's no way to know without seeing the parents but aside from the ears she's put together like a 3-4 month GSD pup. If one of her parents was small that would account for her size and tbh some gsds are pretty small. One of mine barely tops 50 lbs soaking wet

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Triangulum posted:

I mean there's no way to know without seeing the parents but aside from the ears she's put together like a 3-4 month GSD pup. If one of her parents was small that would account for her size and tbh some gsds are pretty small. One of mine barely tops 50 lbs soaking wet

If that's the case, it'll be the best surprise ever. I'm excited to start training her because I haven't done that in a while. Our past couple dogs have been older rescues rather than puppies, just due to seeing the over crowding in our local shelter first hand working there as animal control for a few years. I'm a sucker for big, old dogs that no one wants or loves anymore, so I ended up taking a couple home. We thought our bagel (basset/beagle) was 4 or 5 when we got him, but he looks so much healthier and is more active now, that I'd guess he was 2 tops when we got him. He's around 7 or 8 now, but in great health, so I'm expecting a few more good years before he starts having any sort of health problems.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Is it cruel to have the groomer paint your dogs nails

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Humiliating your animal is one of the perks of pet ownership

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Is it cruel to have the groomer paint your dogs nails

not really

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I saw some anti-chew bitter sprays mentioned, and have also seen some home-made recipes (citrus and water, cayenne pepper and water). Is this worth trying?

Our white shepard puppy is 3 months old now and he's taking to chewing on the, uh... floor list? Is that what it's called in English? Is there any particular kind of spray that's good at deterring this?

We have plenty of chewable toys and stuff for him to chew on but yeah... He likes that floor list a lot apparently.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Im having trouble finding my frenchie a treat he can enjoy. I bought a load of freeze dried liver online (live in the sticks) and unfortunately trying to pin point some allergy issues have to stop giving him them. He also got this edible nylabone in a 2 pack but after a half hour of chewing on it I woke up to a big old squirt poo poo and throw up (in his kennel no less) when all along he has been fine. Lesson learned there. Luckily kibble is a decent motivator as long as I go ham when I give it to him. If I end up having to switch him to fish based food because of meat protein allergy is there an analagous to the liver I could get? He actually goes beserk for them and it was the single best thing for training that we found.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Here's a recipe for home made tuna fudge. Google likely has quite a few variations, if you don't like the look of this one. http://www.food.com/recipe/tuna-fudge-training-dog-treats-120199

Just remember that everything should be provided in moderation, and it's good to use a variety of treats while working with your dog so they don't grow too accustomed to them, or eat too many super rich things.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

a life less posted:

Here's a recipe for home made tuna fudge. Google likely has quite a few variations, if you don't like the look of this one. http://www.food.com/recipe/tuna-fudge-training-dog-treats-120199

Just remember that everything should be provided in moderation, and it's good to use a variety of treats while working with your dog so they don't grow too accustomed to them, or eat too many super rich things.

In the beginning I thought I was in GWS and my face just got more and more :stonk:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Leinadi posted:

I saw some anti-chew bitter sprays mentioned, and have also seen some home-made recipes (citrus and water, cayenne pepper and water). Is this worth trying?

Our white shepard puppy is 3 months old now and he's taking to chewing on the, uh... floor list? Is that what it's called in English? Is there any particular kind of spray that's good at deterring this?

We have plenty of chewable toys and stuff for him to chew on but yeah... He likes that floor list a lot apparently.
I tried a bunch of different sprays and homemade ones with my puppy a few months ago.

The best store-bought one for us was this stuff but we got lazy and cheap and started making our own. Cayenne vinegar water worked for a little while and then we switched it up to lemon water and cayenne. They all helped for a little while but eventually she got used to them and stopped caring and would chew anyway, so I think it's ultimately gonna depend on your dog and really reinforcing toys as chew things.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
my dog chewed way more when we used bitter apple or hot sauce sprays yay it burns :downs:

flashman posted:

Im having trouble finding my frenchie a treat he can enjoy. I bought a load of freeze dried liver online (live in the sticks) and unfortunately trying to pin point some allergy issues have to stop giving him them. He also got this edible nylabone in a 2 pack but after a half hour of chewing on it I woke up to a big old squirt poo poo and throw up (in his kennel no less) when all along he has been fine. Lesson learned there. Luckily kibble is a decent motivator as long as I go ham when I give it to him. If I end up having to switch him to fish based food because of meat protein allergy is there an analagous to the liver I could get? He actually goes beserk for them and it was the single best thing for training that we found.

Dried fish skins are kinda disgusting but are similar to dried liver in texture. Another equally gross option that works well is blending up canned tuna and putting it in a squeeze tube (I use gotoobs bc theyre easy to clean). I've heard great things about the tuna fudge posted above but never have had the fortitude to make it myself lol

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
our dogs go loving crazy over norwegian dried fish chips. those things stink like a motherfucker and opening a pack makes the dogs go loving insane, jumping over each other to get one. makes your fingers stink, too.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
i wonder what theyd think of those gross lil freeze dried shrimps they sell at asian markets

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I had an anatolian shepherd mix that ate his dog house More when we put cayenne and hot sauce on it. He loving loved it and was so goddamn happy. You'd pour it on and turn your back and there he'd be, wagging his tail and slurping it off as quick as he could. It was his favorite thing.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Dr Bronners peppermint soap and water. We were using it for our ant problem in the spring but it also had the great affect that our Jack Russell wanted nothing to do with chewing on whatever we sprayed it on.

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
My neighbors puppy got out so I chased him down and brought him back to my place. He's cute and I'd like to steal him somehow, is there any legal/moral way to do this?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Your neighbors need to be dead iirc. ianal

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I wanted to share the awesome thing we discovered for our two very leash anxious dogs. We call it "sludge," and dispense it with silicone squeeze feeders that are designed for kids to independently eat apple sauce and yogurt. It works really great, it's not bad on calories and they absolutely love it, plus it's pretty cheap.

1 cooked, peeled sweet potato chopped into small cubes
1-2 pre-cooked hot dogs OR 1/4 cup of liverwurst sausage
1/2 cup water

Blend both in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender until it is a sludgy paste. Scoop into the silicone feeders. Put extras into ice cube trays to save or into a plastic baggie for later. Usually keeps for ~1 week.

Our dogs tend to get shark-y when they are anxious, so trying to train anxious behavior out of them meant I was losing a lot of skin on my fingers. A trainer recommended this mostly for in the winter time so that you don't get your gloves gross trying to feed the dogs treats. So far it has worked great and they respond really well. The only downside is that the sweet potato is like a colon blow, so they'll poop more.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I've reached out to the Newfoundland Club of New England about attending some events to get exposure to newfs. However, I already suspect that I will be allergic. I have read that newf/poodle crosses can attenuate or eliminate allergies (and improve health) while preserving many of the temperament qualities of a newf. If I ask about that with the club, though, are they likely to be offended, or to not want to deal with me any more? It's hard for me to tell sometimes how fanatical re: purebredness I should expect such folks to be.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Petey posted:

I've reached out to the Newfoundland Club of New England about attending some events to get exposure to newfs. However, I already suspect that I will be allergic. I have read that newf/poodle crosses can attenuate or eliminate allergies (and improve health) while preserving many of the temperament qualities of a newf. If I ask about that with the club, though, are they likely to be offended, or to not want to deal with me any more? It's hard for me to tell sometimes how fanatical re: purebredness I should expect such folks to be.

I will imagine the vast majority of them will not be very keen on that idea at all. Also, poodle mixes are no guarantee of allergy relief (neither are poodles, tbf, but they are a better option if that's your primary concern).

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Invalid Octopus posted:

I will imagine the vast majority of them will not be very keen on that idea at all. Also, poodle mixes are no guarantee of allergy relief.

Thanks. I may not raise it with them, then, just try and hope that I deal better than expected w/ a newf's slob and dander.

I understand that mixes are no guarantee, more of a fallback. Ideally, I'd like a medium-to-large, less-allergenic, well-tempered dog that would do well in my apartment and daily walks to/from work. A newf does some of those things well, and I've always loved the aesthetics, but not so much the allergy relief, so I'm trying to figure out options, or even figure out how to figure out options.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Petey posted:

Thanks. I may not raise it with them, then, just try and hope that I deal better than expected w/ a newf's slob and dander.

I understand that mixes are no guarantee, more of a fallback. Ideally, I'd like a medium-to-large, less-allergenic, well-tempered dog that would do well in my apartment and daily walks to/from work. A newf does some of those things well, and I've always loved the aesthetics, but not so much the allergy relief, so I'm trying to figure out options, or even figure out how to figure out options.

How severe is your allergy? Is it something that you could just take allergy medicine daily for?

My husband is allergic to our dogs but he acclimates to them pretty fast. He's gone for several months at a time due to his job and every time he gets back he needs to load up on the Zyrtec for a few days till his system gets used to them again.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Get your tested allergies Petey. You def. Dont want to take a dog onky to have to give it up a month or teo kater. That would be heartbreaking :(

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
Standard Poodles are really nice and meet basically all your requirements FWIW.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Any tips for raising a young puppy with an adolescent dog? We have a pretty submissive and quiet 1-year old female dog, and we're considering getting her a male companion. There's a few male puppies up for adoption at some local shelters, we're thinking of getting one.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Any tips for raising a young puppy with an adolescent dog? We have a pretty submissive and quiet 1-year old female dog, and we're considering getting her a male companion. There's a few male puppies up for adoption at some local shelters, we're thinking of getting one.

Based on my experience I'd wait for a year or two until your other dog is an adult and properly trained. Your new puppy will learn from her as much as from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can offer some advice about my really difficult-to-train puppy, or at least some encouraging words. For the record, I read the opening posts of this thread, especially the training methods for the particular problems I'm having; I am familiar with said methods and have been diligently trying to employ them since I brought the dog home at 9 weeks.

My dog Bambi is a 7-month-old Chi/Yorkie mix, and I honestly can't seem to train her to do anything... Or rather, she clearly understands most commands, but refuses to comply except when she wants to. Two things that usually have no effect on her whatsoever are food and loud noises. She is the least food-motivated dog I've ever met (it is an incredibly tedious process to even get her to eat her meals). She will SOMETIMES take her favorite treat - peanut butter - but many times she will smell it and refuse. The only thing she's consistently interested in eating is garbage/cigarette butts. Any type of noise/scolding either has no effect, or seems to encourage poor behavior... She takes it as part of a game, much of the time. She also does not react to praise.

As I say, I can't manage to teach to do her anything consistently, even something as simple as coming when called/responding to her name, but my two most immediate problems are housetraining and biting.

House training has been a nightmare, frankly. I've successfully housebroken many puppies using the method outlined in the OP, and I have been applying that method since I brought her home. She goes out every time she comes out of the crate or stops eating/playing/etc. Everything is on a schedule. She will usually eliminate fairly quickly outside, but no matter how long she is out - and it is sometimes an hour or more, if we take a long walk - she will often come in and have an accident within a few minutes of coming in the house. She usually (although not always) tries to run out of sight before doing so (although we never let her out of our sight for this exact reason), but she has never asked to go out in any way. I tried training her to use a bell, but she absolutely refused to let us bring her near it except by force - definitely never started using it on her own.

She is also EXTREMELY mouthy. It is all in play, but it is very difficult to spend time with her at this point, because she constantly tries to bite fingers/ankles/whatever. I tried the yelping method when she was young; at some point, we switched to a louder, deeper sound at the advice of our puppy class instructor. We still do this 6 months later. She has never reacted, except to bite more excitedly.

I love my dog, but I am so exhausted. I would be grateful for any insight anyone might have - at this point I feel like I've heard/read it all, but maybe someone here has experience with a similar dog. And for the record (since people often ask), she is in perfect health - not deaf, no incontinence issues, etc. Just an extremely energetic and strong-willed little dog.