Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I also like that Steiner isn't as dumb as he appears. The Magic Sword was his invention after all. Vivi helped put it into practice but Steiner came up with the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As far as I know, Red Mages are just mages who wear red.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm willing to give the Red Mages the benefit of the doubt.

I must've missed the implication of Black Magic being a rare thing in IX, though that would make sense given the attempt to mass produce it.

Fister Roboto posted:

More often than not, this is the case. But then you have things like enemy Blue Mage units in Tactics A2 that wear red, and then things get confusing!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Fister Roboto posted:

Red Mages are mages who wear cool red hats and can kinda swing a sword around. :colbert:

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Fister Roboto posted:

As far as FFIX goes this is pretty much the case.

The real question is why there haven't been any purple mages in the series. That's some fantasy racism right there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TravelLog posted:

As far as FFIX goes this is pretty much the case.

The real question is why there haven't been any purple mages in the series. That's some fantasy racism right there.

Because the red ones have a higher speed stat.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

We never see Red Mages actually cast any magic, colored or otherwise. We just assume they're Red Mages because they dress like the typical FF Red Mage. It's entirely possible they're not Red Mages at all.

One of them is named something like "Red Mage _______" or "Red Mage" (can't remember which), so they're definitely an in-universe thing. just their skillset is a complete mystery.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

One of them is named something like "Red Mage _______" or "Red Mage" (can't remember which), so they're definitely an in-universe thing. just their skillset is a complete mystery.

they're also tagged as Red Mage (Male) and (Female) in the artbook.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

cdyoung posted:

They also tag male and female red mages in dialogue when you talk with them. I don't know if they GIVE NAMES to them though to be honest.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe Red Mage is both their name and occupation, like Red Foreman.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

BrightWing posted:

Red Mages are mages who wear cool red hats and can kinda swing a sword around. :colbert:

The cool hats are the important part. Trust me, I'm an expert.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

cdyoung posted:

If only there was a Qu Red Mage to solve our problem right then and there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are black magicians who use black magic, but it's a rare and difficult to perfect art. This is why Red Mages are more common - you can learn a little black magic and then supplement it with white magic.

Black Mages are golems made specifically to use black magic, which allows Alexandria to field far more magicians than a normal army would be capable of, with the side benefit of having an army that doesn't need sleep or food.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, this thread convinced me to play Final Fantasy IX again. I just don't know how to quit this game. :v:

I remember someone saying the battle speed was slow, but maybe I'm just used to it since I haven't noticed anything.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's measurably slow, you're probably just like me in that you've played it enough that it doesn't really bother you anymore.

Not the combat speed, anyway. The encounter load times are objectively hideous.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
In between playthroughs of FF9, I played like all other FFs and especially FF5 a lot. When you're just starting out and killing things and having a good time, it's not that slow. When you realize that you can totally kill bosses underleveled without even breaking a sweat because Slow is good and you know of his Fire weakness and got all the Blue Magic so whatever, just running away from a lot of encounters becomes attractive, and makes a game you've played before indeed flow nicer. However, in FF5 this is a matter of half a second for each battle, in FF9 it can take up to 30 seconds or even a minute, depending on where you're playing it. When all you're doing is running away anyway, that becomes grating very fast.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
In my first play of the game I learned very quickly that no matter how auto-potion looks to keep your team healthy, its not worth the time of your life its going to destroy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sum Mors posted:

In my first play of the game I learned very quickly that no matter how auto-potion looks to keep your team healthy, its not worth the time of your life its going to destroy.

Unfortunately at level 1 it is behind only auto-life in terms of passive utility. If the attack OHKOs Gitan then whatever. If it deals 104 or less damage than he has 99 HP gauges, and even at level 1 he'd win fights before that runs out. The action economy of never having to heal/revive him is too much to pass up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

WIND NOISES

So today we're going to take a break from Zidane and company to check in on hobo Steiner.

This is the same gate Captain Dagger damaged earlier with her reckless airship driving she did to shake off the Black Waltz, but dammit she gets results. The results of course are a damaged airship gate that probably costs hundreds of millions of gil to repair but hey.

I like how the game doesn't outright tell you that Dagger's in that sack because it's just that drat obvious.

I heard workers were needed to fix South Gate. I brought my belongings so that I might live and work here.
That's great! They've been working on the gate non-stop since the accident, but it's still broken.
I need to check your bag. Rules and regulations, you know.

So... Where are you from?
(Blast, I must do something!)
The police are searching for a girl and a middle-aged man. Did you see a pair like that on your way here?

The girl supposedly looks exactly like Princess Garnet, the most beautiful princess ever to grace Alexandria Castle.

But you know how Queen Brahne looks. It's hard to believe that she'd have such a beautiful daughter.

Wh-What is that!? What are those...those...

Rotten? I'm not carrying anything that's rotting...
Oh, it's your least favorite food...

I can't believe how many you brought with you!
They are my favorite! I cannot start my day without them.
Yeah, sure. People who like 'em all say that. You can go now.
Thank you.

Great job hiding in a bag of stinking pickles, Dagger! Though to be fair, she's the one who came up with this plan.

(But a girl and a man are in the way.)

We now get control of Steiner. We can gear him up but there's not much point since there's no combat for this part.

Undead are a common enough occurrence in this world so yeah there probably are ghosts around. I fought some in some secret manufacturing center under a small town earlier.

This road leads to the bottom of the Mist. No one uses it. There's no need to fix it, really. So, I just polish up the gate and make it look all nice. That takes care of it for a couple months. Hee hee.

Now we have the option to murder some guy for being lazy. I choose not to.

(I must tolerate him for the sake of the princess!)

It was called Altair. We sold magic items. It's just a regular shop now.

Altair is the town where you start in FF2.

Let's talk to everyone again.

Rub-rub! Rubba-dub!
I should've taken all my magic items with me when I gave it up.
And is it true that the castle welcomed the old airship even after it caused that accident?

Now let's talk to the two other people we need to get rid of.

It'd be suspicious to not talk so let's talk.

I-Indeed.
Welcome! I'm also new here. I've been working here for five months as the chief engineer of Bohden Gate. But he's the only one working under me.

The guy in question is the lazy jerk at the gate.

I'll be going back to the castle next month, when my contract expires. I'll be joining a team of engineers who are developing a new engine that runs without Mist. The world outside the Mist Continent is uncharted territory, but there's no need to worry about our safety if we can explore it on an airship. Regent Cid is an advocate of technological advancement.

There's something I must tell you.

Did he think he could get away with that!?

(Now I just need to get rid of that girl...)

Unfortunately we don't get to see him get chewed out.

She's referring to the guy who used to run a magic shop but doesn't anymore. Nobody cares about the other guy, the poor sap.

Being a dick would garner suspicion so let's be nice.

Wh-What I meant to say was that... Now that we are here, there must be things we can do to help the ones we love.
You're right. I gotta encourage him.

(The coast is clear.)

Before we go...

The real reason why I always went to your store was...

Hahaha.

Also, I gently caress up here since after you go to the alley you can't come back to this screen. You see, you can get a weapon upgrade for Dagger, the Multina Racket, that can teach her a couple new spells. I thought about reloading to get it but that'd mean doing Gizamaluke and grabbing the Ice Staff again and screw that.

WIND NOISES

Rules and regulations, you know. Would you come over here?

We can talk to people yet again...

But this guy with no friends is the only one with something new to say.

Don't make a move until I tell you!

You need a Gate Pass to reach the South Gate summit. I'm leaving it right here. Pick it up after I leave.

Alright, then.

Now we've got a Gate Pass. Neat.

Ahem...

Yes!
Thank you. I will come out now. Please keep an eye out.
Yes!

What a horrible smell... It gave me a terrible headache.

You have a split second to choose Steiner to run to the other side, which makes Dagger give a brief "Ah!" as Steiner runs past without paying any attention to her changing.

I was too slow and I could've reset to show it off but no.

Yes...? Oh, um, yes, Miss Dagger.
You have to call me Dagger until we reach Treno. Don't salute me, either.
Yes, until we reach Treno and find a way back to the castle, I will be careful.
Okay, let's go!

We're almost there, Steiner. Alexandria is just beyond the summit, right? I managed it without Zidane's help...!
You never needed him to begin with, Princess.

No backtracking at this point.

We can look at this map to have Steiner give us an overview of their planned route.

South Gate itself is inside Lindblum territory, but...

Treno, the City of Nobles, should not be too far from there.

That guy sells regular items. Not bad if you need to restock after Gizamaluke.

You can check the board over there to see where you are.

Talk to him again...

Berkmea... It's a work of art.

There's a save moogle here with another letter for us to deliver. So now we've got two different letters to deliver.

Not much else to do but board the train.

uh yes

May I see your Gate Pass?
Okay!
Yup, that's the one.

Yeah we're done here let's go.

Alright, then. Please go inside. We'll be departing shortly.

This is important. Probably.

At least it won't be a lonely ride.

No, I thank you.

Now departing!

That is understandable. Our journey from Lindblum was very tough. But...

I am thoroughly impressed by your intelligence and courage, Princess!
Steiner, you can't call me that.
My apologies. I'm just not used to...
It's okay. I made lots of mistakes when Zidane taught me how to talk like this.

Although...he did have some wit for a bumpkin, but... The way he spoke to you was simply unacceptable!

You say that, but for now we say good riddance to Steiner and Dagger, for next time we'll check back in with Zidane and company.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I believe going for the Kill! option just has Dagger remind Steiner to keep himself in check with a nicely timed kick to his head from inside the sack.

That was certainly an unorthodox plan to get past the guards though. Not sure how it ranks compared to Rinoa's train plan from FF8.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is where you equip Steiner and Dagger with all your cool new gear (thanks to your parties' interdimensional pockets) because surely they're going to get into some fights in this sequence, right?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I believe going for the Kill! option just has Dagger remind Steiner to keep himself in check with a nicely timed kick to his head from inside the sack.

That was certainly an unorthodox plan to get past the guards though. Not sure how it ranks compared to Rinoa's train plan from FF8.

I'd say it's far better than Rinoa's plan since there wasn't any zombie president body double in the way to gently caress you over at the last minute.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
The neat thing about the moogle letters is that the letters each team gets will only be for moogles that the same team will meet; in other words, despite the fact that the player actually does have all those letters, the letters that Zidane got will still go to Moogles on Zidane's route, and the same for letters that Dagger gets.

Speaking of moogles, you'll notice that Steiner mentioned having dealt with obnoxious moogles in the Chocobo's Forest, and you might remember Mene saying that no cute girls came by, just an ugly one. I really want to know what went on between the two groups that apparently ticked both parties off. Undoubtedly a part of it was Steiner putting his foot in his mouth again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Choosing any of the wrong options (and "Console her") has Dagger kick Steiner.

And yeah, having Steiner run to the other side just has Dagger go (Ahh! Please, don't look this way!) mentally while Steiner is oblivious to her changing.

I also love this detail. :allears:

I guess Garnet was the "ugly girl".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Oh hey Mega64 I select kill! and do hit the window for Steiner changing sides in the level 1 game.

It's convenient when it lines up like that, huh?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I thought you couldn't get the Racket on top of the wagon in this segment? Like, Steiner says something about not being able to climb the ladder while carrying the bindle, and once you put it down you can't go back.

Then again I also remember passing this point and discovering I could've gotten it on one of my playthroughs and being quite miffed. Small equipment spoiler: The rackets are basically the only way for Dagger to contribute to combat outside of healing, and this is the only one you can get for a long time if I recall.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

I thought you couldn't get the Racket on top of the wagon in this segment? Like, Steiner says something about not being able to climb the ladder while carrying the bindle, and once you put it down you can't go back.[/spoiler]

The racket is found in the foreground of this area. The chest on top of the cart contains an elixir card. Woo.

Bufuman posted:

Speaking of moogles, you'll notice that Steiner mentioned having dealt with obnoxious moogles in the Chocobo's Forest, and you might remember Mene saying that no cute girls came by, just an ugly one. I really want to know what went on between the two groups that apparently ticked both parties off. Undoubtedly a part of it was Steiner putting his foot in his mouth again.

Steiner is a very ugly girl.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I guess Garnet had a spare outfit since she was covered in pickles, but Steiner wasn't carrying any clothes, so wouldn't she still smell like pickles since her spare set was also in the bag?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I guess Garnet had a spare outfit since she was covered in pickles, but Steiner wasn't carrying any clothes, so wouldn't she still smell like pickles since her spare set was also in the bag?

She carried her clothes in a pickle-proof case.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd believe it.

Though, now that I think about it, didn't Grandma Pickle say that she was having a hard time selling her pickles? Even if they only bought them for a ruse, Garnet and Steiner probably helped her a lot. :3:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Plus Steiner does actually like them, even if they are stinky.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I like the detail that the South Gate guard never quite picks up that Steiner never answered "Where you from". Laziest guards ever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She just reached into their shared interdimensional portal and grabbed the set of clothes Zidane stole from her.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She's a Summoner. She summoned them. It's useful for more than magical beasts, you know!

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I always liked how sincere Steiner is in encouraging her, reminding her how her healing magic helped during the trip, she came up with all the plans and such. A lot of his anti-Zidane talk may come from his personal dislike of him, but he does want the princess to have more confidence in herself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm wondering if this is the first time Steiner's actually had this much one-on-one time with Dagger. Presumably while she was at the castle he was just her (not-so-)silent bodyguard who just hung back in case she needed protection. Plus he would also have had to protect Brahne.

One thing that would have been a nice addition but doesn't really explicitly happen in the game would be Steiner being able to look past Dagger as just castle royalty, but as someone he genuinely wants to protect for whatever reasons. It'd be a nice mirror of how he views Zidane throughout the game.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd believe it.

Though, now that I think about it, didn't Grandma Pickle say that she was having a hard time selling her pickles? Even if they only bought them for a ruse, Garnet and Steiner probably helped her a lot. :3:

Not only does she say that they aren't selling, but (I'm pretty sure he showed this off) if you visit before Zidane and co. leave Lindblum she mentions that they've all been bought out!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Technical Analysis posted:

I'd say it's far better than Rinoa's plan since there wasn't any zombie president body double in the way to gently caress you over at the last minute.
Hey, the zombie body double wasn't Rinoa's fault, her plan was flawless and went off without a hitch until that point :colbert:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The South Gate train arrangement of Melodies of Life is the best. Just wanted to get that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dastardly posted:

The South Gate train arrangement of Melodies of Life is the best. Just wanted to get that out.

I didn't even notice.

Next you're gonna tell me every song but the chocobo ones has that same melody.

• Locked thread