Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That was very, very good. Understated, side characters with a bit of development, pacing left with room to breathe.

I don't really care if the ideas themselves weren't that original - this was just a very well put together episode at all stages. It made last week seem sloppy (which it was).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
It's nice to have some proper Doctor Who on. Whatever else I say about Moffat, bless him for pushing 2-parters this season.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Boy oh boy did I enjoy that one. Nice pacing, interesting characters, classic base under siege. Very much looking forward to next weeks.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Plavski posted:

"evil company man" character

I liked that dude because he made all the right calls for all the wrong reasons. First, he stops everyone from calling the submarine, which saves the world from getting ghostified. Then, he decides to get the second energy cell the Doctor wanted because it might be valuable. Don't really get why you took him to be evil, though. Seemed like he was just a greedy idiot.

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

It's nice to have some proper Doctor Who on. Whatever else I say about Moffat, bless him for pushing 2-parters this season.

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised. Two-parters always seemed a bit hit or miss on Doctor Who. Hopefully, we won't get a two-parter turd. That would be a bummer.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

And More posted:

Hopefully, we won't get a two-parter turd. That would be a bummer.

luckily we've already gotten one, so it's out of the way!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Attitude Indicator posted:

luckily we've already gotten one, so it's out of the way!

Eh, you've got pretty high standards, if that is your definition of a turd. Way too few scenes of the Doctor going: "Kids don't need medicine! Flush that poo poo down the toilet when your parents aren't looking."

kant
May 12, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

if there's a box that contains someone mysterious, 99% of the time the Doctor's in it. The Pandorica, the coffin from BF: A Death in the Family, etc.

Definitely. Plus it's a better explanation for the Tardis wanting to run away. Those ghosts aren't anything specials. There's a potential paradox being created or something more serious.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Plavski posted:

arbitrary episode-ending flooding plot device that shows up out of nowhere

I think you missed a lot of setup for that, there was quite a lot.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mr Beens posted:

I loved the cards - did you manage to capture the others?

I made these!

All those control panels - especially the big map - in the control room are so, so washed out because of a printing issue. loving gutted.

Episode was cracking, though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know this is a continuity sperg thing, but it bugged me since I just watched the respective episode (although I can't for the life of me remember which one):

12th Doctor: Ghosts don't exist, but now they do, isn't that exciting?!

11th (maybe 10th)? Houses absorb latent psychic energy all the time, that's why so many houses have ghosts!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Printing error? Should have got the Doctor Who thread on SA to help you :colbert:

(Before I left my job to go back to academic stuff I was a scientist for a company that made industrial inkjet printers)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

your evil twin posted:

Absolutely loved that episode. Felt like some classic scary 70s Who.

Also... the kids were scared shitless. As in, one was actually too scared to go the toilet alone. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. :ghost:

Remember to throw a net over Robert Holmes when he shows up to gloat!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I know this is a continuity sperg thing, but it bugged me since I just watched the respective episode (although I can't for the life of me remember which one):

11th (maybe 10th)? Houses absorb latent psychic energy all the time, that's why so many houses have ghosts!

There's also the parking brake thing, but the previous time it was brought up was by River Song, iirc, so it's probably ignorable.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Looking forward to finding out what has Clara acting strange since her eagerness to get back into the action and overall behavior this episode clearly has the Doctor questioning. I'm just wondering if this will lead up to the reason why or how she leaves.

Also, has anyone read the Doctor Who Facebook page lately? drat there's a lot of fans who want the sonic screwdriver back. He's a Time Lord, not a wand waving wizard, damnit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

8th: Not only do houses absorb psychic residue from violent deaths, if they get enough they become sentient themselves and begin craving more and more of it to sustain their lives.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Come to think of it, has the cloister bell been explained at all (at least beyond, "this is bad") in New Who? Or for that measure, at all since Logopolis? I can't recall any examples.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
This episode could have been improved by an order of magnitude with one single thing.

When they first arrive, Clara looks out into the sea and sees the faint glow of the Dead Doctor, but the live Doctor says 'Its probably a statue, come on'.

That would have made the entire episode for me.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 4, 2015

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Random observation: did they have to use the original Star Trek phaser sound for the exploratory sub?

Good episode. It felt old-school- slower pacing, but to it's benefit, characters had time to breathe and for the mystery to grow. Not a lot happened but it kept me drawn in with the mysteries and observations. And this has to be the most dialogue Capaldi has had in an episode yet. Loved the cue cards.

Edit: not a fan of the "see it and you're now a transmitter" thing but all right. Does the Doctor realize that since he's now a transmitter, that hopping around space and time might cause a lot of unforeseen problems?

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 4, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing that kept throwing me was how weird the shuttle looked. It really was a Star Trek shuttle thing, but with all of the innards removed so it was just a shell. It looked unfinished some how, though that may have just been what we got to see of it.

Something is up with Clara in this episode, she's almost obnoxious at the start.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NarkyBark posted:

Random observation: did they have to use the original Star Trek phaser sound for the exploratory sub?

Good episode. It felt old-school- slower pacing, but to it's benefit, characters had time to breathe and for the mystery to grow. Not a lot happened but it kept me drawn in with the mysteries and observations. And this has to be the most dialogue Capaldi has had in an episode yet. Loved the cue cards.

Edit: not a fan of the "see it and you're now a transmitter" thing but all right. Does the Doctor realize that since he's now a transmitter, that hopping around space and time might cause a lot of unforeseen problems?

No no, you're able to be made into a transmitter by whatever's controlling the ghosts if you die.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I don't know if it's my computer, or Wiki's servers have gone nuts, but the Doctor Who Wiki (TARDIS.wiki) is redirecting to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Wiki right now for some reason. :stare:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm rather happy with the use of time travel to find the source of the problem. The Doctor's got a time machine, what's the point of having one if you don't ever use it as such in an episode?

Mainly because this totally breaks an incredible number of stories! Usually some kind of "We're part of events now!"-esque excuse gets invented to explain why it's not possible to do this. And/or the TARDIS gets isolated from everybody else. I was honestly slightly surprised that this didn't happen this time around.

Unrelatedly, have I missed something or is there no hyper-obvious recurring season-long arc thingy developing just yet?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldMemes posted:

I don't know if it's my computer, or Wiki's servers have gone nuts, but the Doctor Who Wiki (TARDIS.wiki) is redirecting to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Wiki right now for some reason. :stare:

doctorhoofs.jpg

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

qntm posted:

Mainly because this totally breaks an incredible number of stories! Usually some kind of "We're part of events now!"-esque excuse gets invented to explain why it's not possible to do this. And/or the TARDIS gets isolated from everybody else. I was honestly slightly surprised that this didn't happen this time around.

Unrelatedly, have I missed something or is there no hyper-obvious recurring season-long arc thingy developing just yet?

I think the season arc is the confession dial.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

qntm posted:

He probably thinks it will be okay this time because he doesn't intend to interfere with events, merely observe them. No paradox there, unless something goes wrong.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

qntm posted:

Yeah, I was kind of against the idea (because then it becomes an easy bill and teds bogus journey solution to a lot of problems) but I think i'm okay with it in this particular case; he isnt going to the past to fix things, just to get information. He's going far back enough that he cant set up the cage and the key and the net and the gun because the base wont exist yet.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

qntm posted:

They spent too much time on that prophecy business about a half-Time Lord, half-Dalek for it to not pay off sometime down the road. But at any rate, they're not telegraphing the series arc like they did with Clara or Missy.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I was kind of against the idea (because then it becomes an easy bill and teds bogus journey solution to a lot of problems) but I think i'm okay with it in this particular case; he isnt going to the past to fix things, just to get information. He's going far back enough that he cant set up the cage and the key and the net and the gun because the base wont exist yet.

I just hope there's someone he can go and have dinner with :shobon:

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 5, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex posted:

I made these!

All those control panels - especially the big map - in the control room are so, so washed out because of a printing issue. loving gutted.

When they pushed buttons, they lit up. Was that digital effects added afterwards?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

echoplex posted:

I made these!

The important question is, what do the rest of the cards say?

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I just got round to watching this and it was an absolute slam dunk hole-in-one. At the start I got a really heavy Fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane vibe with the Doctor's whole character and Clara's playful but intuitive part in things, and then I found out Whithouse wrote School Reunion too so it makes sense. He's really frigging good at writing Doctor Who imo.

I love the way that using the TARDIS to go back bridges the two parts naturally, but there's a good in-story reason he can't just use it to rescue everyone. Stories where the Doctor having the ability to use the TARDIS actually figures into the plot are always satisfying if done well, for instance it happens in City of Death a bunch and didn't do that any harm.

There were some likeable characters, it was scary, and base-under-siege will never get old as far as this cat is concerned.

edit: also not only corridor-running, but actual tactical Scooby Doo corridor-running as a trap!

Psybro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Psybro posted:

Stories where the Doctor having the ability to use the TARDIS actually figures into the plot are always satisfying if done well, for instance it happens in City of Death a bunch and didn't do that any harm.

Watched The Leisure Hive earlier, which makes a big song and dance about removing the randomiser fitted for Destiny of the Daleks. Of course The Leisure Hive happens a full series after Destiny of the Daleks while the incredible fine control of the TARDIS seen in City of Death happens the very next story.

It just goes to show how worthless Doctor Who continuity is.

dark_archon
Jan 11, 2008
TITLE TEXT!
Loved the episode to bits. One thing stuck out like a sore thumb to me though.

The plan to trap the ghosts in the Faraday cage made no sense. Why would you need multiple people to have the ghosts follow them? Wouldn't a single person leading them to the cage be enough? It seems that the only reason the scene was written that way is to have the plan fail and ghosts split up. Which obviously they did. No sane person would brew a plan with such a glaring hole in it.
Wouldn't somebody just ask "why do we need three people instead of just single bait?"

Seemed like a very lazy way to write that scene to me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dark_archon posted:

The plan to trap the ghosts in the Faraday cage made no sense. Why would you need multiple people to have the ghosts follow them? Wouldn't a single person leading them to the cage be enough? It seems that the only reason the scene was written that way is to have the plan fail and ghosts split up. Which obviously they did. No sane person would brew a plan with such a glaring hole in it.
Wouldn't somebody just ask "why do we need three people instead of just single bait?"

Yeah, that part frustrated me too. As soon as they said that was the plan, I was thinking "Wait, why are they splitting up, exactly? This seems like a terrible plan." and then, yup, of course it was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh thank goodness. I couldn't handle three bad episodes in a row. That was lovely. And the Doctor is totally in that box.

Also this episode is even better if you imagine that it takes place on Pod Six.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Also this episode is even better if you imagine that it takes place on Pod Six.

Pod Six was jerks!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

qntm posted:

cargohills posted:

I think the season arc is the confession dial.

It will be interesting to see if the third story has anything about the Doctor dying. Story 1, he leaves behind his confession dial/is going to die. Story 2, his "ghost" shows up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I really love the idea of memetic virus's. Liked the episode.

I just don't feel like Coleman is playing Clara as secretly traumatized as she should be.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

dark_archon posted:

They couldn't just run into the Faraday cage because how would they get out without being killed? Therefore they had to play a game of sorts to confuse the ghosts so that they wouldn't notice that Clara is just the hologram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

saucerman posted:

They couldn't just run into the Faraday cage because how would they get out without being killed? Therefore they had to play a game of sorts to confuse the ghosts so that they wouldn't notice that Clara is just the hologram.

Why not just do a switch-off with the hologram the exact same way you would do a switch-off with the other person? And like they did do with the hologram at the end?

• Locked thread