Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This could be solved by removing Reflex mode from multiplayer. It never even occurred to me that you could turn it on. It's stupid OP in singleplayer, its even stupider on multiplayer. If he didn't have reflex he would have gotten lit the gently caress up multiple times.

The reflex allows for this sort of speedrun, but even without it you would be looking at the same sort of thing, it would just be slower. There's not enough variation in the FOBs for them to be difficult challenges. Like, I am not particularly good at the game, and I have a fairly high win rate on FOBs after about an afternoon of practicing (still get messed up by dumb stuff like diving down a ladder to avoid being seen by a UAV and ending up diving straight off the platform). Yeah, reflex makes it easier, and makes these kinds of speedruns possible, but it is not the cause of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh and the fire powers aren't inherently Volgin's, it's just how Mantis manifests his rage. When Mantis channels Venom we get the fire whale.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What entity was responsible for Volgin allowing himself to be crushed under Sahel's treads? Was it Eli influencing Mantis to puppeteer Volgin to his death for some reason? Was Volgin compelled to kill himself when freed from Mantis' grasp for some reason, or was he so blind and dumb without Mantis that he just wandered into the tread? Or was it Mantis' own decision to destroy Volgin because deep down hes a hosed up lil kid?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I figured it was the first one (because Eli is a dick), Volgin can't move at all without Mantis pulling his strings.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Then I wonder if that scene where you retrieve Volgins body is a complete hallucination by Venom, since Mantis isn't around to puppeteer him.. it certainly seems kind of unreal. But I don't know if I agree that Volgin is totally immobile without Mantis - I got more of an impression that Mantis deliberately froze him in the Devils House to focus on Shabani.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Volgin does seem to just wander into Sahelanthropus's sled on his own.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Big Boss awakening was what caused Volgin to awake in the first place so the scene where you find his remains makes sense, it's the last spark of life in him reviving him to finally kill Snake just like his hatred woke him up the first time, and then he realises he's strangling the wrong person and dies for good because Volgin's kind of a chump.

though he is hooked up to a life support machine on the R&D Platform so ???

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

net cafe scandal posted:

Then I wonder if that scene where you retrieve Volgins body is a complete hallucination by Venom, since Mantis isn't around to puppeteer him.. it certainly seems kind of unreal. But I don't know if I agree that Volgin is totally immobile without Mantis - I got more of an impression that Mantis deliberately froze him in the Devils House to focus on Shabani.

100% hallucination. During the cutscene Volgin is on his horse and then turns into his MGS3 body, and finally you find that Volgin was lying on the sheet the whole time. Mantis wasn't around to animate him so he wasn't really a threat.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shoren posted:

100% hallucination. During the cutscene Volgin is on his horse and then turns into his MGS3 body, and finally you find that Volgin was lying on the sheet the whole time. Mantis wasn't around to animate him so he wasn't really a threat.

You unlock the Furicorn for D-Horse because Venom high-tailed it back to Mother Base and immediately started describing in detail to the R&D boys what he saw and why he wants it now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shoren posted:

No, he definitely moves.

The forums won't let me put in a timestamp for whatever reason so skip to 14:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxu1fUlGVAw

Somewhat related I don't like how Volgin's scars look in HD.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm impressed they made a whole model for normal Volgin when you get altogether a two-second glimpse of it.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Venom was just Bernie-ing Volgin around and dropped him in embarrassment when the chopper showed up.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Seeing Volgin's face is a hallucination in the same way you hallucinate entire conversations with Ocelot, Kaz, and Paz. You hallucinate blood everywhere. You hallucinate how tired Paz gets and you hallucinate picking her book up for her.

What ACTUALLY makes NO sense is why Eli is SO mad that he uses Mantis to eliminate the two biggest threats against the person he actually wants to kill, Big Boss. Seriously, through Mantis, Eli flatten's Volgin (who is bullet-proof and can withstand being run over by a tank) and then uses Metal Gear to go after Skullface (who orchestrated the take-down of Big Boss's entire organization 9 years ago and almost had him left for dead) BEFORE using it to go after Big Boss. This makes no loving sense at all. Skull Face was even OK with Metal Gear romping around on its own causing destruction and would have been fine if it went on to kill Big Boss but NOPE, Eli's retarded and wants to kill the monologue. Whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

It wasn't deliberate so much as Shabani's anguish overpowering Volgin's rage, so Mantis got distracted. Mantis doesn't have any will of his own so he just marches to the beat of whoever's got the most Bad Feelings at the time. The only exception is, maybe, the very end of Mission 51, since he saves Eli instead of helping him to follow through on his death wish.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

It wasn't deliberate so much as Shabani's anguish overpowering Volgin's rage, so Mantis got distracted. Mantis doesn't have any will of his own so he just marches to the beat of whoever's got the most Bad Feelings at the time. The only exception is, maybe, the very end of Mission 51, since he saves Eli instead of helping him to follow through on his death wish.
I think that exception is actually explained when Ocelot talks about how mantis has a connection with Eli because they're both kids. If Mantis let Eli kill himself, he wouldn't have another kid to be friends with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eli doesnt want Big Boss dead.

He wants to be the one to beat Big Boss. Thats a pretty big difference.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Seeing Volgin's face is a hallucination in the same way you hallucinate entire conversations with Ocelot, Kaz, and Paz. You hallucinate blood everywhere. You hallucinate how tired Paz gets and you hallucinate picking her book up for her.

What ACTUALLY makes NO sense is why Eli is SO mad that he uses Mantis to eliminate the two biggest threats against the person he actually wants to kill, Big Boss. Seriously, through Mantis, Eli flatten's Volgin (who is bullet-proof and can withstand being run over by a tank) and then uses Metal Gear to go after Skullface (who orchestrated the take-down of Big Boss's entire organization 9 years ago and almost had him left for dead) BEFORE using it to go after Big Boss. This makes no loving sense at all. Skull Face was even OK with Metal Gear romping around on its own causing destruction and would have been fine if it went on to kill Big Boss but NOPE, Eli's retarded and wants to kill the monologue. Whatever.

Hes an angry dumb kid and wants to stamp the robot around and kill his Dad.. name the part that doesnt make sense :P

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SynthOrange posted:

Eli doesnt want Big Boss dead.

He wants to be the one to beat Big Boss. Thats a pretty big difference.

Not to say that Eli wouldn't be fine and dandy with FATHER dying like a dog at his hands.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

RatHat posted:

No, he definitely moves.

His corpse moves off the sheet, but that could have been Venom dancing around with it like Gazaar said. We know Venom isn't all together mentally and until that point we had only seen Volgin move when Mantis was around. I'll admit the cutscene isn't 100% conclusive, but my money's still on hallucination.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just a little disappointed that there's no Ace Attorney style crossexamination of Huey.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Just a little disappointed that there's no Ace Attorney style crossexamination of Huey.

It would have been awesome to have "Evidence" as a type of item that could be found during different missions. Each piece of evidence damning Huey would insert a scripted sequence into his trial. Collect them all to unlock Huey's execution.

Reveal that Huey was executed and replaced with a double. This double came to love Hal as his own and was devastated when all family drama happened.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Otacon was a motherfucking hero.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snak posted:

It would have been awesome to have "Evidence" as a type of item that could be found during different missions. Each piece of evidence damning Huey would insert a scripted sequence into his trial. Collect them all to unlock Huey's execution.

Reveal that Huey was executed and replaced with a double. This double came to love Hal as his own and was devastated when all family drama happened.

That's a pretty cool idea. Perhaps there could have been some alternate evidence you could find that implicates other people somehow, like Kaz.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah Kaz just gets greasy fingerprints and tampers with your collected evidence.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Nah Kaz just gets greasy fingerprints and tampers with your collected evidence.

"Whose footfinger prints are these?!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Venom Snake and D-Dog are the Shaggy and Scooby Doo of the MGS universe.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Venom sure does eat a lot of dog treats.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

No, he definitely moves.

I wish we could've seen Fox engine renders of all main characters past and present. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well we get Fox engine Eva and the Boss outfits I guess.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

Hes an angry dumb kid and wants to stamp the robot around and kill his Dad.. name the part that doesnt make sense :P
The part where he doesn't kill his dad and focuses on his dad's enemies instead. That part doesn't make sense.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Have any of you read The Flame Alphabet? I read it a while back and had basically forgotten about it till I got to the vocal chord parasites. There's not much similarity between the two, besides the 'Sickness that kills people that spreads via language' sorta thing. Still, kinda neat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DaveKap posted:

The part where he doesn't kill his dad and focuses on his dad's enemies instead. That part doesn't make sense.

Yes it does. He wants to kill his dad. That means everyone else who wants to kill his dad can gently caress off first.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DaveKap posted:

He tries to kill him a dozen times before the fight starts with the armored vehicles hes loving up, and hell, what kid wouldnt want to wipe out an army with a giant bot given the chance. He probably doesnt even know who Skull Face is

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shoren posted:

His corpse moves off the sheet, but that could have been Venom dancing around with it like Gazaar said. We know Venom isn't all together mentally and until that point we had only seen Volgin move when Mantis was around. I'll admit the cutscene isn't 100% conclusive, but my money's still on hallucination.

Why would Venom hallucinate Volgin realizing he isn't the real Snake when he doesn't know it himself yet?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Volgin he hallucinated was real.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

The Volgin he hallucinated was real.

This is the best answer.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Too simple. More likely there are Metallic Archaea in the prosthesis mount in Venom's arm, and they manipulated his nervous system so that he subconsciously knew he was not the real Snake, then as the hallucination ended they induced self-hypnosis where he would convince himself he was the real Snake again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If you never get D-Dog I wonder if Huey still mentions him in his exile cutscene.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RatHat posted:

If you never get D-Dog I wonder if Huey still mentions him in his exile cutscene.

...That's a good question. Somebody should start a fresh playthrough and never get D-Dog now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

RatHat posted:

Its in a tape not a cutscene but I'm also curious

• Locked thread