Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

n3wt posted:

So us 83s, what are we? Gen X, Y or Millennials
How are we scoring this:
Smartphones in highschool? know how to use MSDos?
Stayed up to watch the X-files or Supernatural?
Usenet/Napster or Bittorrent/Youtube?
After the towers fell: Went online to play guess which clips will get shown the most and make falling people photoshops or stayed and watched the TV... Um maybe that's just a "are you a goon" question.
At what point were you done with grimdark in movies?
Do you remember when clicking links could crash your computer?
Do you know how to drive like a normal person and concentrate on the road?

A bunch of us 81-85s are pre selfie to the point of 'get off my lawn with your selfies', learned how the internet worked before we used it, know our computer from the OS to the hardware and will vote for anyone willing to regulate the banks. Are we Premature Millennials?

being a nerd loser is not specific to any one generation

you are a millennial because of your birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

n3wt posted:

How are we scoring this:
After the towers fell: Went online to play guess which clips will get shown the most and make falling people photoshops or stayed and watched the TV... Um maybe that's just a "are you a goon" question.

A bunch of us 81-85s are pre selfie to the point of 'get off my lawn with your selfies', learned how the internet worked before we used it, know our computer from the OS to the hardware and will vote for anyone willing to regulate the banks. Are we Premature Millennials?

According to Harvard University (the most prestigious one), 1983 is still Gen X. I don't believe they - or other non-mass-media types - recognize Gen Y as real.

On a more philosophical level, I'd say it's more about attitude.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
im a millenial and im fukcing proud gently caress you nerds *flies away in millenial falcon* *

*whooosh weeee haha

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

nomadologique posted:

you're a consumer whore like my older brother i bet

a consumer whore is not better than a cam whore

Too broke to be a consumer whore.
Lost my appetite anyway after realizing they had planned obsolescence built into so many gadgets.
The stupid Nokia they laugh at lives on because it functions the way it should. I'm not shelling out 500$ for something that is planned to give out in less than 3 years.
That and keep the circuitry out of my car! I want a car that I can buy parts for and fix; not something I plug in at 60$ a pop.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 5, 2015

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
weird luddite technofetishist thing you've got going on there

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

n3wt posted:

How are we scoring this:

This post makes you a millennial. HTH.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

nomadologique posted:

weird luddite technofetishist thing you've got going on there

Yeah, I both love tech and despise the way the companies use me. I want to upgrade not because I'm forced to but because you've got a seriously improved product.
I love the internet and understand that nothing's free - we are the product on free websites, our information and habits are the product but now that we know that any government has that info if they want, it's offputting.
As for cars, adding computer tech means they're harder to fix by the roadside.
I'll admit it's a little wierd to rather go without AC than have to have diagnostic junk that needs the specific dealer and specific software. I like my car "clockwork" but that's a growing up with junkers thing.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i cum pennzoil

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I thought that we've been over this: 1981-1983 is No Man's Land, Gen X stops at 1980, and Millennials start at 1984.

One of the definitions of Gen X is "the dip in the population curve", ie, The Baby Busters. In my high school, my class (1991) was the nadir; smallest class ever, and every class after got bigger. That puts the midpoint for birth year at around 1973.

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This is the peak.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

notZaar posted:

They were at a baseball game. Before smartphone people would just drink themselves into a stupor or make out.
In fact you can argue that going to a sporting event is just as much a rejection of the "real world". Bread and circus and whatnot.

QuarkJets posted:

Counterpoint, baseball is stupid and watching baseball is no different than death

See the weird thing is if I don't like a thing I don't waste my time and money going to see it. I enjoy baseball so I go to games and actually pay attention (as do thousands of other people).

Amazing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Christ

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I'm rethinking that whole Peeple thing.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Automatic Slim posted:

I'm rethinking that whole Peeple thing.

Shameless humiliation of the dead.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Holy Toledo!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

potatoes are not vegetables bc they are dry not wet

by the metric your dick is mos def not a vegetable :smug:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

that's one hell of a sweet release of death smile there grandad

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

welp thread over death to millenials let them be the final generation and end the failure that is humanity

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

have i mentioned kill all humans?

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I hope that watch isn't real gold because otherwise they're never getting it back

plain blue jacket fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 5, 2015

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Isn't she just showing a mature acceptance of death? Should she be frowning in that picture?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
tbh the fact that she's not going absolutely insane around a fresh corpse means she has more balls than most millennials

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Robo Reagan posted:

tbh the fact that she's not going absolutely insane around a fresh corpse means she has more balls than most millennials

Only the dead know peace from the triggering.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I think it's awesome that kids take pictures with the recently deceased and doubly awesome that mincing goons get flustered by it.

Old man looks like he lived long and died warm so yea I'd be happy for him too

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

dogstile posted:

I still don't understand the whole "tattoos stop you from getting jobs" thing. It's probably because I don't work in retail, but i'd say the majority of my colleagues in the past have had tattoos. Maybe it affects you if you got "oval office" tattoo'd on your face and you work in retail or something, but if you have a proper job it won't matter imo

If you have a retail job it also doesn't matter. I live in Kansas and in the past decade places went from having clean shaven/no long hair policies to dudes manning the registers with multiple face peircings and sleeves. Hell I even see older women (40+) with bigass sleeves these days. Then like 1 in 200 people has the bigass cursive g "God" tat all over their neck and the side of their face for whatever reason.

Maybe if we're talking super fancy hotel resturants or some poo poo but honestly walk into any medium priced store and there's probably someone with a mohawk or a visible tat or something.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park and they were very strict about hairstyle, piercings, uniform standards, and especially tattoos. 0 visible tattoos. use concealer or a bandaid it if its small enough, or wear under armor under your uniform to hide your sleeves.

so if you aspire to work minimum wage 60 hour weeks on a coaster-laden peninsula, reconsider your tattoos.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

QuarkJets posted:

Counterpoint, baseball is stupid and watching baseball is no different than death

extra stout posted:

the world loving sucks so hard that the game is now 'picture submitter of the game' and not inviting fans out on the field to see who can throw post to post

as a man who can throw a baseball 300 feet it feels like i might as well leave society, all of my hobbies are self rewarding and removed from society, i can't win the contest unless i buy a smart phone and talk about baseball on twitter instead of playing....baseball?

same with fishing, every mother fucker i meet is there for bass to show a picture to their instagram, i'm just eating the gently caress out of some bluegill and black crappie while these retards put their pole in their truck and drive to mcdonalds

Fishing is the second dumbest thing behind watching baseball. Seek sweet relief at nearest gun shop.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

You know the victorians used to do photos with the dead. It was slightly more reverent than "stick a wooly hat on grandpa LOL" though.
http://www.viralnova.com/post-mortem-victorian-photographs/ (sorry for crap link bait website)
Guess which ones are dead!

extra stout posted:

same with fishing, every mother fucker i meet is there for bass to show a picture to their instagram, i'm just eating the gently caress out of some bluegill and black crappie while these retards put their pole in their truck and drive to mcdonalds

relevant:
http://nya-kin.tumblr.com/post/122295052375/lmaooo
racists holding fish in their avatar

n3wt fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 5, 2015

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

n3wt posted:

Guess which ones are dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCXULYZZHs&t=367s

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

ChesterJT posted:

See the weird thing is if I don't like a thing I don't waste my time and money going to see it. I enjoy baseball so I go to games and actually pay attention (as do thousands of other people).

Maybe they got talked into going by their frat boyfriends, who knows.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y33xNa2L-e8

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

she must have p laid back parents

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I still know how to use a desktop computer running Windows in 2015 does that mean I get to join your old man's club or has my 1986 birth year damned me?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
as it turns out grandad was the kind of bro who'd draw dicks on your face after you passed out or even just while you slept so putting him in a goofy hat after he died was just the family's way of getting him back one last time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Meet our Creative Services team!

• Locked thread