Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
any word on what they're planning with that industry skill tree or whatever it's called? also, how much is there left till it's done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think I heard that after the next update industry will be focused, and if the timeframe is the same as this update then you could probably expect all major features to be in next fall.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Doom ship finally appeared in that one station which has 90% of the best ships in the game.

It is as overpowered as I remember. Fast missile racks is insane for any ship. Can apparently take down a paragon with minimal effort. Fortress shield doesn't help much against four antimatter blasters, two pulse lasers and 2 reapers fired four times in about 10 seconds.

Suddenly realised I could put a reaper into each of the front small universal slots, and fire 6 reapers at once. Let's.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
So how fleshed out is this game right now? Is it currently worth the price? And how is it doing as an early access game? I know it has been in development for a while, but how steady are the updates. What do y'all think the chances of it being abandoned like so many other early access games are? It looks really neat but I don't want to waste my money.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Updates take a while, but they're usually pretty big changes. It's easily worth the 15 bucks vanilla but the mod support just pushes it over the top. Just keep in mind that the guy behind the game is essentially a one man team.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

It probably won't be abandoned, and I've spent literally hundreds of hours playing it over the 3ish years it's been out. I'd highly suggest buying it(I think there's a free demo if you want to try it out first, not sure if mods work with it though)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Motley posted:

So how fleshed out is this game right now? Is it currently worth the price? And how is it doing as an early access game? I know it has been in development for a while, but how steady are the updates. What do y'all think the chances of it being abandoned like so many other early access games are? It looks really neat but I don't want to waste my money.

Starsector is one of the few "early access" titles done right. It started from a very solid, stable base (the combat) and each update has significantly changed and expanded the way the game plays. Even if development stopped now, you'd still have a surprisingly high quality piece of software.

Then you've got things like DayZ...

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah the dev could stop working on Starsector today and it would still have been absolutely worth 15 bucks. It'll be great in the future, sure, but for the moment it is really solid and fun and scratches gaming itches you didn't even know you had.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Motley posted:

I bought it back in 2011 I think? When I bought it, the combat was amazing and there was a great mod scene.

Now there's so much more and I am very excited for the next update.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Did the old Tachyon Lance used to have twice the range or some such?

I remember if another ship in my fleet or the enemy fleet had one, there'd just be beams being coming in from gently caress knows where, often fired across the entire map. Was quite cool, if a bit ridiculous.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The lance has always been 1500 iirc, it's just that battlecruisers get that capital-only targeting computer that is something like +50% range, plus the optics mod with -turning +range and maybe there is also a third mod? Anyway the beam gets silly amounts of distance.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
In the first years/month of the alpha Tachyon lance had 5000 range , did much more damage and was more flux eficient. This was before phase ships, skill points and other solar systems were a thing.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Yea it had some absurd stats long ago; I remember doing that mission where you have 1 Paragon Vs like 50 Hegemony Ships and just winning flat out because of the Tachyon Lances one shotting destroyers and frigates and putting serious hurt on the Cruisers/Onslaught from across the map. I went and tried the mission a little while ago and I couldn't even come close to winning until I finally relented and dumped the Lances for some weapons with actual DPS. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out you can outfit your ships any way you like on those one off missions. I really wish there were more of them or possibly even a linear campaign some day, I think they're really fun. 95% of my battles in the free play game are just me stomping the enemy mostly because it's really dangerous and expensive to actually fight a fair battle.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Amusingly, this was reflected in a change to the weapon's codex entry, talking about how the beam should have infinite range but these seem to have limiters installed so you don't accidentally sterilize a planet a galaxy over.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

AParadox posted:

In the first years/month of the alpha Tachyon lance had 5000 range , did much more damage and was more flux eficient. This was before phase ships, skill points and other solar systems were a thing.

Nothing like trying to cross the gap being lanced in low tech ships that didnt even have Burn Drive

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

AtillatheBum posted:

Yea it had some absurd stats long ago; I remember doing that mission where you have 1 Paragon Vs like 50 Hegemony Ships and just winning flat out because of the Tachyon Lances one shotting destroyers and frigates and putting serious hurt on the Cruisers/Onslaught from across the map. I went and tried the mission a little while ago and I couldn't even come close to winning until I finally relented and dumped the Lances for some weapons with actual DPS. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out you can outfit your ships any way you like on those one off missions. I really wish there were more of them or possibly even a linear campaign some day, I think they're really fun. 95% of my battles in the free play game are just me stomping the enemy mostly because it's really dangerous and expensive to actually fight a fair battle.

The last time I tried the standalone missions they didn't play as well as when I first encountered them (in Starfarer). I think some of the balancing is off, particularly for those pitting solo ships against one another. Can you still do the Bismarck one with a stock Hyperion?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Literally exactly what I wrote about wanting a while back, this is going be amazing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I still think they could have fixed the lance without a stat nerf by making it unable to hit anything smaller than a cruiser

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Looking forward to the patch! It'll get me to buy the game I think, hopefully we get it within the next month or two :(

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I'd be really surprised if the patch wasnt out before December but I wouldn't expect it sooner than 3-4 weeks from now.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

RentACop posted:

I still think they could have fixed the lance without a stat nerf by making it unable to hit anything smaller than a cruiser

That'd be interesting. Is it even possible to mod that in? It'd be really handy in missions with absurd destroyer screens and asteroids everywhere.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Friendly guided missiles ignore/phase through friendly targets so you might be able to fiddle with that bit somehow. I have no knowledge of modding so I MIGHT be talking out my rear end.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

so i was reminded of this through a Great Thread™ and have decided to buy this now (i loved SPAZ)

is it recommended to just install that bigass collection mod right away or play through vanilla first?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

so i was reminded of this through a Great Thread™ and have decided to buy this now (i loved SPAZ)

is it recommended to just install that bigass collection mod right away or play through vanilla first?

It'll be a lot easier to get used to the game mechanics with the relatively small set of ships available in the base game. Most of the popular factions add new gimmicks, not to mention a lot more potential parties trying to kill you.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

ah ok thanks, I'll play vanilla for a while then

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I recommend Vanilla > Vanilla with SS+ > Vanilla with SS+ and faction mods > Nexerelin with SS+ and faction mods, go up a step every time you feel like you've mastered/grown bored with your current setup

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I recommend Vanilla > Vanilla with SS+ > Vanilla with SS+ and faction mods > Nexerelin with SS+ and faction mods, go up a step every time you feel like you've mastered/grown bored with your current setup

This is solid advice.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

it's really cool to see this thread explode. didn't the dev just tweet about how he still needs a lot of time/money to finish this? a little sad because the spurt of updates made me think he'd release this in the next few months, but sounds like he needs another year or more. oh well, it's exciting to see the progress though, which is looking pretty drat good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If he needs more money I'd be happy to buy copies for all of my friends. :)

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Zmej posted:

didn't the dev just tweet about how he still needs a lot of time/money to finish this?

Not sure what you're talking about, the next release is coming out soon. He did tweet about some kind of unrelated kickstarter failure recently.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Not sure what you're talking about, the next release is coming out soon. He did tweet about some kind of unrelated kickstarter failure recently.
ah, now that tweet makes more sense now. thanks.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

SS+ is good because it adds nice ships and weapons that aren't overpowered and fit into pretty nice fleet roles that otherwise don't exist.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Zmej posted:

ah, now that tweet makes more sense now. thanks.

That entire story is fairly despair-inducing and indicative of how bad some indie devs handle things nowadays

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Where does Alex live again? I know it's somewhere with a pretty low cost of living so admittedly he doesn't have to hustle like some of these other devs but I can't remember the country.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Pretty sure he's Russian.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
If it's his second language, his English is fantastic.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Alex is american with russian ancestry afaik

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Seriously cannot wait for this next patch. It's going to be insane.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Just bought StarDrive 2 while it was 50%. Even after all the bad reviews I'm a sucker for MOO2 clones so I gave it a try. It's loving terrible. There's a ton I could say about it, but the one thing that stands out is the combat. It felt like a 5th grader designed and implemented it compared to Starsector's combat.

If they had just cribbed EVERYTHING from MOO2 including the combat instead of just cribbing everything BUT the combat... it could have been a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ErKeL posted:

Seriously cannot wait for this next patch. It's going to be insane.

Starfarer suffers from the same curse as Paradox's titles; the updates are so enormous, that you feel like you're missing out just by playing the current patch! It's not so bad here, as the content updates are so far between, but I'm really feeling it after his last blog.