Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

Listening to soldiers speak of their experiences from the professor who was in Gulf War I to the rest all being Iraq & Afghanistan veterans. It is all about you and your friends coming home, I don't think they'd agree much with you. That said it was still cartoonish to annihilate a hospital to eliminate perhaps 2-3 terrorists.

I'd far rather our hired bullet-absorbers do their job and take fire and die gracefully than for us to loving BOMB A GODDAMN INTERNATIONALLY INDEPENDENT CHARITY HOSPITAL in an effort to fix their fuckup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Terrible Person posted:

I'd far rather our hired bullet-absorbers do their job and take fire and die gracefully than for us to loving BOMB A GODDAMN INTERNATIONALLY INDEPENDENT CHARITY HOSPITAL in an effort to fix their fuckup.

I feel like there's a more proactive solution here that doesn't have them there in the first place to create the threat they are now trying to fight

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hollismason posted:

Wouldn't it be weird if we did have a economic collapse and Bitcoin became alternative fictional currency. Like Bitcoins being seen as a legitimate currency because of economic collapse would be loving weird.

I'd rather kill myself than deal with the level of smug that would emanate from the nerd set if that somehow happened.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lmao

How is Jeb so loving bad at this?
George W. Bush was the smart one.

It's still amazing every time I say it, but it's true.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

I'd rather kill myself than deal with the level of smug that would emanate from the nerd set if that somehow happened.

Don't worry too much. The smug will last as long as it takes for scam artists to steal away their bitcoin hoard.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fade5 posted:

George W. Bush was the smart one.

It's still amazing every time I say it, but it's true.

It's pretty amazing, we doubted sedanchair's claims about this for years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lmao

Maybe he agrees with Barbara about there being too many Bushes in the White House.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lmao

Jeb is just trying to rewrite the history books. His brother kept us safe (never mind 9/11), his brother was the hero of Katrina (forget about the New Orleans emergency response), you wouldn't legislate things like putting fences around pools to stop kids from drowning (though Jeb did exactly that), etc.

It's just one of the pages from the Republican Strategy Handbook; turn your weaknesses into strengths by trying to rewrite the narrative.

Of course, it doesn't seem to be helping him one bit and he just keeps on sinking in the polls.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

I feel like there's a more proactive solution here that doesn't have them there in the first place to create the threat they are now trying to fight

The simple fact that self-defense for an offensive group should over-ride international law is insane. Reminds me far too much of Israel's human shield justification for firing indiscriminately in Gaza.

Maternity ward? Ha! It was merely a gestation wing for larval terrorists! We HAD to blow it up, in self defense!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lmao

Privilege bubble. He honestly thinks he's running a good campaign.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The simple fact that self-defense for an offensive group should over-ride international law is insane. Reminds me far too much of Israel's human shield justification for firing indiscriminately in Gaza.

Maternity ward? Ha! It was merely a gestation wing for larval terrorists! We HAD to blow it up, in self defense!

If you are being shot at, you are allowed to shoot back.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

A statement that while technically true lacks the nuance required of these situations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mystic_Shadow posted:

It's just one of the pages from the Republican Strategy Handbook; turn your weaknesses into strengths by trying to rewrite the narrative.

This only works if your base actually wants you to win.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Privilege bubble. He honestly thinks he's running a good campaign.

That explains why he seems so put out whenever a reporter questions one of his statements.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ok dude you've been having hysterics all day about this. Who is saying 'the soldiers did nothing wrong and nothing should happen to them'? People are saying that you're being a lovely internet edgelord with the whole "STUPID SOLDIERS JUST DIE" thing and the weird blend of that with internet tough guy with the whole 'no man if that was me I'd just fuckin die'.

What likely happened was a horrible, unintended, tragedy. It should be investigated, it WILL be investigated, if they were acting wrongly they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, but the way things are sounding it seems like they were being shot at, they shot back, and this hospital was in the crossfire. That's terrible, and tragic, but if that is the full story there isn't a ton of 'wrong' here to bend over backwards calling for blood over.

This isn't Israel raining white phosphorous on a school saying 'yea I saw a terrorist around there', it's 'we had dudes actively shooting at us, we shot back, gently caress that hospital was in the area too'.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

A statement that while technically true lacks the nuance required of these situations.

Seriously, how loving warped do you have to be to justify killing volunteer hospital staff and patients, including children, and injuring a bunch more, because "they shot first." Like goddamn. And now the organization is pulling out of Afghanistan altogether. There is no defense for this.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Why can't we just say "Redo" and then start again with all finances. I mean if everyone's hosed why not? Clear all debt off the books and start again.

It worked great for Solon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sir Tonk posted:

don't worry bitcoin is a joke and isn't going to supplant anything.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Mystic_Shadow posted:

In other words, gaslight the gently caress out of everybody.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

You mean, recognized as valid under the law of armed conflict? It doesn't override international law - international law is what says it's okay (with some limitations and refinements Etc etc.)

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Why didn't our planes just fly away really fast? If I were in a dangerous situation and I had the choice between "blowing up a hospital and burning people alive in their beds" and "going back the way I came," I'd choose the latter.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Ok dude you've been having hysterics all day about this. Who is saying 'the soldiers did nothing wrong and nothing should happen to them'? People are saying that you're being a lovely internet edgelord with the whole "STUPID SOLDIERS JUST DIE" thing and the weird blend of that with internet tough guy with the whole 'no man if that was me I'd just fuckin die'.

What likely happened was a horrible, unintended, tragedy. It should be investigated, it WILL be investigated, if they were acting wrongly they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, but the way things are sounding it seems like they were being shot at, they shot back, and this hospital was in the crossfire. That's terrible, and tragic, but if that is the full story there isn't a ton of 'wrong' here to bend over backwards calling for blood over.

This isn't Israel raining white phosphorous on a school saying 'yea I saw a terrorist around there', it's 'we had dudes actively shooting at us, we shot back, gently caress that hospital was in the area too'.

I recall seeing an article that said the airstrike specifically targeted the hospital's main building, and the staffers were saying that there were no active combatants inside the building. So I'm not sure.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Sharkie posted:

Why didn't our planes just fly away really fast? If I were in a dangerous situation and I had the choice between "blowing up a hospital and burning people alive in their beds" and "going back the way I came," I'd choose the latter.

Uh you're obviously not patriotic enough to handle this decision.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hollismason posted:

Why can't we just say "Redo" and then start again with all finances. I mean if everyone's hosed why not? Clear all debt off the books and start again.
That would be cool as gently caress (basically a jubilee).

But remember, we're the country that had J.P. Morgan bail Grover Cleveland and the country out with a $60 million dollar check.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 5, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Artificer posted:

I recall seeing an article that said the airstrike specifically targeted the hospital's main building, and the staffers were saying that there were no active combatants inside the building. So I'm not sure.

Right now it seems like there's a few versions going around that basically all revolve around 'a strike was targeting the hospital or the area the hospital was, either way that was a bad idea but either they didn't know people were still in it or didn't check, which also was not a good thing'.

Like, there's no GOOD answer here, we're just talking if this was a normal terrible military fuckup through bad intel or what.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Jeb reminds me of Paul Rudd's character in Parks and Recreation. "Just give me the election. C'mon, give it to me. C'mon.....Please? Please? I want it. Why won't you just give it to me? It'd be so cool if you just give it to me. Why do I have to do all this stuff?"

Bobby Newport is probably a nicer guy too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sharkie posted:

The version of events being given to the media on background, near as I can tell, is that there was a Special Operations team in the area working with a gunship that was providing close air support. They came under fire and told the gunship to shoot at what they believed to be the source of the fire, which was, oops, a hospital. Whether they were mistaken about the source of the fire, or if the crew misidentified the target, or there actually was fire coming from the hospital, or if the whole story is bullshit, is as yet unclear.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
at least they weren't using...barrel bombs

:shensay:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sharkie posted:

they should have engaged teh cloaking device as well

e: also the "remove fog of war" cheat

e2: i'm aware this is confrontational but i can't help but roll my eyes at some of the posts regarding this horrific event

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 5, 2015

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

The version of events being given to the media on background, near as I can tell, is that there was a Special Operations team in the area working with a gunship that was providing close air support. They came under fire and told the gunship to shoot at what they believed to be the source of the fire, which was, oops, a hospital. Whether they were mistaken about the source of the fire, or if the crew misidentified the target, or there actually was fire coming from the hospital, or if the whole story is bullshit, is as yet unclear.

So what? The special operations people should have run away, too. If I recall correctly the military's real big on running, especially if you're in special ops. They should have put those skills to use and run away, that way fewer people would have been hurt. In fact they probably shouldn't have been there in the first place, but if you're in a bad spot and people are trying to hurt you, you should probably leave. Pushing a button that causes doctors and children to explode and burn to death probably shouldn't be your go-to response.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

they should have engaged teh cloaking device as well

e: also the "remove fog of war" cheat

e2: i'm aware this is confrontational but i can't help but roll my eyes at some of the posts regarding this horrific event

I don't get it. Cloaking devices are not a real option. "Turn around and leave" is.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Sharkie posted:

So what? The special operations people should have run away, too. If I recall correctly the military's real big on running, especially if you're in special ops. They should have put those skills to use and run away, that way fewer people would have been hurt. In fact they probably shouldn't have been there in the first place, but if you're in a bad spot and people are trying to hurt you, you should probably leave. Pushing a button that causes doctors and children to explode and burn to death probably shouldn't be your go-to response.

Because sometimes running away is really loving hard if bullets are hitting everywhere except the one spot behind the wall you're cowering at.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sharkie posted:

I don't get it. Cloaking devices are not a real option. "Turn around and leave" is.

Except when it isn't.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sharkie posted:

There's not really always an easy exit. Like, I'm sure these guys were probably taught at some point 'you should run if poo poo gets real' but you kinda can't always run away from everything like a Pokemon fight.

Also 'probably shouldn't have been there in the first place' is kinda hindsight isn't it? I'm sure most would agree almost any military thing that ends with a lot of dead people probably would have been better if it didn't happen that way.

e: also see my issue here is with the 'push a button that makes doctors explode'. We have so far zero evidence that that's how it went. We don't know how it went, but it's looking a lot like lovely intelligence more than 'buahaha gently caress those doctors! BRING THE FIRE'

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lmao

I'm honestly not sure Jeb wants to be president beyond "well my dad did it and my brother did it so I need to or I'm the failure of the family."

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I wouldn't blow up a charity hospital to save my life. I'd hope the same is true for most people.

If the mistake here involved not knowing that they'd hit a hospital, that's one kind of horrible fuckup. If it involved knowingly blasting the hospital in order to recover from a previous mistake, then I'm at a loss for words. But yeah, we need to wait and learn what exactly happened here.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
We're still in the stage of things where a bunch of really furious and tense people are writing, reading, and digesting a series of vaguely panicked after action reports. Once that happens we will know more about where this falls on the spectrum from "tragic accident that should never have happened" to "flippant disregard for laws of war." Immediately jumping to "kill all the bloodthirsty baby eating soldiers" seems like gilding the lily a bit. Someone, likely multiple someones, hosed up. Hopefully we can figure out who and how and what degree of flippant disregard for civilian casualties there was.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zeroisanumber posted:

You would lose your job, I would lose my job, and one of the central underpinnings of the global financial order would come crashing down bringing chaos.

The GOP fanatics who might pull the pin on that don't believe that it will do anything because they live in a world without consequence or something.

http://www.politico.com/story/2011/07/bachmann-debt-deal-failing-wont-cause-default-060172

It's literally Underpants Gnome logic.

Tea Party Steps to Better Government:

1.) Cause government to default
2.) ???
3.) Profit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A school shooting in California was averted a few days ago. Four students were plotting to shoot everyone they could plus they had a hit list.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

I wouldn't blow up a charity hospital to save my life. I'd hope the same is true for most people.

If the mistake here involved not knowing that they'd hit a hospital, that's one kind of horrible fuckup. If it involved knowingly blasting the hospital in order to recover from a previous mistake, then I'm at a loss for words. But yeah, we need to wait and learn what exactly happened here.

Yeah, I think a lot of people would agree with your first sentence. But still in the thick of things, it can be really hard to think straight. I'm not excusing them, but I can see why someone in that situation, not having the time to consider things carefully, would immediately want the bullets to go away as soon as possible. :shrug:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sharkie posted:

I'm trying to figure out how you're visualizing this scene. Like, are you picturing a bunch of SF guys standing behind reinforced concrete (that also protects their escape route) and saying into their radio "blow up that big building that says 'hospital' on the front"? What kind of situation are you imagining where they can just run away without whoever is shooting at them gunning them down as they leave cover, and where it's inconceivable the hospital wasn't both obviously a hospital and obviously occupied?

Somebody clearly hosed up, I'm not saying otherwise, but I get the feeling you're not clear on what taking enemy fire entails.

Edit: phone posting is slow posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
what if a terrorist in the hospital had a nuke that would kill time square and you had to kill the maternity ward what then sharkie?

• Locked thread