Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Yeah... that song sucked. On the plus side, Dark Swan's outfits didn't. I was not mad at the dark trenchcoat and heels at the harbor and the tight black dress at the house. I just wish they'd use a wig instead of hair paint. It's tragic looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Henry will get his heart broken by the 14 yr old girl and he will be the dark one next season.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Pan Dulce posted:

I just wish they'd use a wig instead of hair paint. It's tragic looking.

Oh god I hate it so much, it's so distracting. It's like that cheap spray paint you can get for $5 at Halloween.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Her eyebrows look like they've had white mascara combed into them.

I loved the cheesy goodness of Regina and gang combining to do a Care Bear Stare against the Fury.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Oh god I hate it so much, it's so distracting. It's like that cheap spray paint you can get for $5 at Halloween.

I was having a chat about this actually. So, shows like this, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Game of Thrones, and Walking Dead have to pay SOMEONE to dress and makeup the actors to fit their characters. This show has a good team: Eduardo Castro on costume and Sarah Graham on makeup. They've won Emmy's and we've seen good poo poo before on this show. They have a budget for more staff, or interns at least, to find and source material to make the costumes or buy them and collectively make looks.

So, if you're going to have someone change their hair blonde and white again and again, why not a wig, especially if you're going to make her skin paler? If you don't think it looks good, hell, there have been drag queens and cosplayers shelling out extra for human hair, lace front wigs and they look great, and they're on a smaller budget.

It should have been a wig.

Edit: Lily Sparks is loving AMAZING :stwoon:

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 6, 2015

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I will forever love this thread for introducing me to Lily Sparks. I enjoy reading her reviews just as much as I enjoy watching the actual episodes.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Is there a way to easily find all the Lily Sparks Once Upon a Time reviews? I couldn't find a tag system. I've been reading her reviews for a bit now but I feel there has to be a better way to find the ones I hadn't seen before I started looking.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
What is even going on now? :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

legoman727 posted:

What is even going on now? :psyduck:

They've clearly run out of ideas. My guess is they're going to Dark Phoenix this and have the real Emma be in a cocoon somewhere.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

there was a writers meeting at some point and someone said "what if we have him joust from a pickup truck" and everyone was like "yeah good poo poo."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rhyno posted:

They've clearly run out of ideas. My guess is they're going to Dark Phoenix this and have the real Emma be in a cocoon somewhere.

Nah, they wouldn't pass up the opportunity to do the "post-Dark One Emma works to regain the trust of the town" storyline, and that doesn't work unless it's really her doing all this.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's getting really stupid.

Like it was stupid before, it's getting worse.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I found it stupid, sure. But the more unforgivable sin was that it was boring. Charming episodes usually are, though. Less 'oh I'm so useless and terrible at being a dad waah waah' and more batshit crazy, please.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

It was only mentioned in this episode and I really thought it was going to cut to it and happen, but a tourney with an archery competition between Guinevere, Snow White, and Robin Hood. :allears: Yes please, with a side of more. Maybe duels too? Charming stabbed the poo poo out of Percival, so his skills are still okay. At least that would be action-y and entertaining.

The only part I didn't doze off on was the bit with Dark One Emma and Hook in the boat. That was gutting. I like those two and for one to finally admit he was an rear end in a top hat back then and to tell the woman, "I don't love you." drat.

To end on a funny note, I died laughing at this scene:

How the hell do you clap with a hook? Does it make a sound?

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 12, 2015

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

To end on a funny note, I died laughing at this scene:

How the hell do you clap with a hook? Does it make a sound?

His expression is what kills me in that gif. He looks about as bored as I felt watching this episode. It was really confusing to follow, and I'm not sure how I feel about them turning King Arthur into a villain. Unless there is something about Merlin's prophecy that they know about that is going to wreck Camelot's poo poo then it just seems way out of place.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I may be an oddball but I enjoyed this week better than last week. There was questing and a crime that needed solving and Arthur and Charming bonding and betrayal and green smoke taking a body away. What's not to like?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Coyote Ugly posted:

It was really confusing to follow, and I'm not sure how I feel about them turning King Arthur into a villain.
They did really well with Peter Pan as a villain.

Did Lancelot and Snow have a backstory yet? She recognized him, but it wasn't clear to me how she knew him.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
They met him back in season 2's flashbacks, like some time after they found each other but before toppling Regina.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nelson posted:

I may be an oddball but I enjoyed this week better than last week. There was questing and a crime that needed solving and Arthur and Charming bonding and betrayal and green smoke taking a body away. What's not to like?

I enjoy Charming more than I should and the guy playing Arthur seemed seedy and paranoid before the 'villain' reveal, so I dug it. Hook and Emma scene was surprisingly well done imo and the rest of the episode had a silly quest and dumb but funny poo poo.

Biggest issue with the episode was lack of Regina. A horrible crime. The scene we did get with her seemed out of nowhere and was bad in a not funny way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And Henry is too busy banging the only girl his age to ever show up in that town to actually get into the story.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Wasn't Lancelot working for Cora after the curse hit? I think we were introduced to him when Snow and Emma were sent back to fairytale land in early S2. He died though (or was killed, or was always dead, idk) and I don't remember if we saw him beyond that or only heard about him from Snow?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sober posted:

They met him back in season 2's flashbacks, like some time after they found each other but before toppling Regina.

Oh cool. Hard to remember all the sideswiped characters that far back :)

I'll have to rewatch those bits.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
hooks scene with Robin was probably the least invested I've been in anything ever

so glad hook and Emma finally
broke up now they just have to kill him off and I won't have to look at his dumb pirate outfit ever again

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Troposphere posted:

hooks scene with Robin was probably the least invested I've been in anything ever

so glad hook and Emma finally
broke up now they just have to kill him off and I won't have to look at his dumb pirate outfit ever again

Blasphemy!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
hook is the worst, and dumb, and terrible

I wouldn't care if they didn't keep shoving him in Emma's and the viewers face like they had any chemistry whatsoever when Emma is off constantly sacrificing herself and making eyes at Regina and Hook is just oh hey I'm here too I guess, isn't my eyeliner and hairy chest pretty and angsty

also had to laugh that he was all hot and bothered when he had to chase Emma but now that she's being more sexual he's like woah there nelly I have standards now for some reason. really not liking the evil=sexually adventurous thing they're pushing. rumple didn't get a raging hardon whenever he used magic but all the evil women are super sexualized and it's coming off really gross

I'm surprised Emma doesn't have more cleavage going on because so far good woman = covered up and evil woman = more boobs (minus Ruby RIP)

I like boobs, especially Lana Parilla's boobs, but let the good ladies show some tiddies too

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 13, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

cailleask posted:

Wasn't Lancelot working for Cora after the curse hit? I think we were introduced to him when Snow and Emma were sent back to fairytale land in early S2. He died though (or was killed, or was always dead, idk) and I don't remember if we saw him beyond that or only heard about him from Snow?

He'd been contracted by Charming's dad to bring him over, he catches Snow. Snow, forced, drinks water there that makes her barren. They let her go, but Lancelot follows her, says he didn't know George was a dick and they were going to do that and helps her return to Charming and his mom, Ruth. This is when they go to Lake Nostos and Snow drinks it to heal and Ruth dies. So Lancelot helped save them, I think.

Then, a little further on after the curse was broken, it looked like he was defending an encampment with Mulan that got raided by Cora. But it turns out Lancelot was never actually there. Cora was using an illusion and mentioned he was dead and she killed him long ago. The showrunners said never to believe Cora because she always lies about poo poo and here you go. He's alive.

This show. This loving show.

Troposphere posted:

also had to laugh that he was all hot and bothered when he had to chase Emma but now that she's being more sexual he's like woah there nelly I have standards now for some reason. really not liking the evil=sexually adventurous thing they're pushing. rumple didn't get a raging hardon whenever he used magic but all the evil women are super sexualized and it's coming off really gross

I'm surprised Emma doesn't have more cleavage going on because so far good woman = covered up and evil woman = more boobs (minus Ruby RIP)

The evil = sexually adventurous thing was explained. It was bad editing or directing. Because it was meant to be a contrast to what Hook tried in Dark Emma's home with True Love's kiss. In Camelot, after Emma did magic and felt that she liked being evil (which they have developed as a power thing in Rumple, Cora, Jafar, the Red Queen, the Wicked Witch, and Regina) she dragged Hook to her and tried a True Love's kiss. Obviously it failed and looked like an entirely different thing. But I think people asked the writer of the show that was on twitter this and that's what they explained or an article. Something. I don't remember. It makes sense and I got that, it was just poorly done.

As for boobs=evil, we talked about this before. The Wicked Witch had dresses up to her neckline. So, for that matter, did Cora. And Emma's had the wench outfit before. Boobs in the show are fine. They have to film in Canada, it's cold.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 13, 2015

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Zelena showed lots of boob specifically when she was green and literally raped a man to get back at her sister, wanted to bang rumple

Cora showed off plenty of old lady boob and flashback boob, wanted to bang rumple

Lacey dressed and acted promiscuously, wanted to bang rumple

Snow White only shows off her boobs, surprise, when she's in the evil alternate world. didn't want to bang rumple, thank god

Maleficent covered up when she wanted to become more maternal, same with Regina. Ruby dressed less skimpy when she got character development.

Emma wore a bar maiden outfit once to seduce Hook

that scene with Emma wasn't the only time she made the advance towards him and he reacted badly, happened last week too

it's just getting old, and it's way more uncomfortable when they do it to their protagonist. wasn't bothered by it until this season, where they're really trying to amp it up. they aren't the best writers in the world.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I also feel that cleavage is poorly represented and wish there were more cleavage-positive role models on television.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
just give them all cleavage. good, bad, male, female, dwarf... I'd be happy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
In that episode where Belle got kidnapped by Cruella et al she was wearing a push-up cloak.

Watched the Lancelot bits again last night. I had completely forgotten the assisted suicide, but he did specifically mention he wasn't sitting at the round table any more.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I am looking forward to Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold double action.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

I am looking forward to Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold double action.

Me too! I'm glad they didn't leave him lying there unconscious all season. We haven't seen the "real" Rumpelstiltskin in a long time.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
this is worse than frozen

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Agree. I didn't mind Frozen very much though. But this, holy crap. A villain with both a superiority complex AND an inferiority one, who relies on magic reset dust and the stupidity of others is just annoying. It makes every other character worse by association because you as the viewer are just there, wondering why they don't see what's obvious. Every other villain, Regina, Rumple, Cora, Pan, Zelena, Ingrid, and the Queens of Darkness have run leagues around this. Except those two weird lackeys of Pan. Their part sucked too.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 19, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
What is with this season. :psyduck:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

legoman727 posted:

What is with this season. :psyduck:

it's just so bizarre the focus isn't totally on Emma

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I so readily believed Charming would act like a total idiot that it surprised me when he popped out.

The reliance on the dust is extremely annoying. All of these powerful people can't sense the enchantment?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I was so ready for this story line but from what I read, it's just nothing at all. I'm 2 episodes behind because life keeps happening, but it sounds like they're just bombing it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I was so ready for this story line but from what I read, it's just nothing at all. I'm 2 episodes behind because life keeps happening, but it sounds like they're just bombing it.

Which you'd think would actually be kind of hard, but well, there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Anyone else notice this? They're totally phoning it in in terms of costume design. First the wig, now this:

In case you don't remember, those women are Rapunzel and Jack.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 19, 2015

• Locked thread