Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My Tweetbot 4 is constantly "Waiting" for no discernible reason; there are no updates; I've hooked it up to wifi and the charger, and I've tried rebooting, but no dice.

I assume this isn't a problem specific to T4, but what do I do short of use T3, until the problem goes away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Another 2 Qs for you re tweetbot 4; in the dark theme why are some names (display name) black and some white? The black ones look super ugly. Also, has the small counter with the number of tweets remaining disappeared?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ICHIBAHN posted:

The black ones look super ugly.

Mods?

But seriously, that sounds like a bug. I don't see anything like that with the auto-changing themes, maybe they accidentally have the text color changing based on brightness even if the theme is set to be fixed. Also, I still see the tweets remaining counter.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Tweetbot 4 is actually horribly coded, so it might be a bug that isn't even supposed to have a nice-looking, functioning behavior.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For me, the tweets remaining counter is sometimes there and sometimes not. It doesn't seem like it's super consistent. But it was exactly the same way in Tweetbot 3.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I have Tweetbot 4 for iOS and Tweetbot for Mac - has anyone ever had these two successfully sync? I tried both iCloud and Tweetmarker and both of them don't seem to make the cross-platform leap. How do I fix this and not have to find my spot in 600+ toots?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

I have Tweetbot 4 for iOS and Tweetbot for Mac - has anyone ever had these two successfully sync? I tried both iCloud and Tweetmarker and both of them don't seem to make the cross-platform leap. How do I fix this and not have to find my spot in 600+ toots?
Sync between iOS and Mac is a bit of a crap shoot. I wouldn't count on syncing anything but your timeline. If the two aren't synced, try moving up and down on the timeline you want to be synced.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I bought Tweetbot 3 while I was drunk one night so I started using it since I paid for it. I like night mode and some of the options to see who has tweeted at a particular user, but there isn't much else that makes it more worthwhile than the official Twitter app.

You can't view who has favorited someone else's tweet without being redirected to whatever the gently caress Favstar is, it doesn't reliably search for usernames when you're @-mentioning them in the compose screen. Etc etc etc tl;dr not buying Tweetbot 4

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ShoogaSlim posted:

I bought Tweetbot 3 while I was drunk one night so I started using it since I paid for it. I like night mode and some of the options to see who has tweeted at a particular user, but there isn't much else that makes it more worthwhile than the official Twitter app.

You can't view who has favorited someone else's tweet without being redirected to whatever the gently caress Favstar is, it doesn't reliably search for usernames when you're @-mentioning them in the compose screen. Etc etc etc tl;dr not buying Tweetbot 4
I went through a similar thing when Twitterific was free some weekend a few years back. They third party Twitter apps are good, but unless you're a power user, the official app is perfectly fine for just checking your feed/lists and tweeting about how my poopin' is going.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Tweetbot 4 worth it just for the Safari ViewController alone

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's great both Tweetbot and Awful got updated to support splitscreening, i really like that on ipad now. It's pretty slick how to splitscreen too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I bought tweetbot 4, not sure why. But anyway how do I make lists. Like I was under the impression that I could separate news sources vs people I know but I can't find out how to do this.

Also in the official client if I clicked on a tweet I could click on his Twitter @name and get taken to his account but I can't do this in tweetbot either.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also in the official client if I clicked on a tweet I could click on his Twitter @name and get taken to his account but I can't do this in tweetbot either.

Tap on the avatar.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mad Wack posted:

ufarn posted:

Sync between iOS and Mac is a bit of a crap shoot. I wouldn't count on syncing anything but your timeline. If the two aren't synced, try moving up and down on the timeline you want to be synced.

This app sounds like it has a flaw for every selling point, and worse the flaws are inconsistent so you don't even know which experience you'll be getting when you open it.

I know I'm hating on TweetBot a bit in here, but it just astounds me the amounts you're willing to put up with at the price point. Is it really worth it, or is it the sunk cost fallacy?

(Or is tweetbot 4 sinking in to just be a poo poo upgrade?)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Other Twitter clients are basically like using an abacus compared to a calculator. There's not much of a choice for power users - and sync has become fairly acceptable anyway. Twitterific is a complete mess to use compared.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For me, the tweets remaining counter is sometimes there and sometimes not. It doesn't seem like it's super consistent. But it was exactly the same way in Tweetbot 3.

The number shows up only when there are unread tweets on screen. If you've scrolled back down into tweets you've read before, it goes away. You can tap on the conversation bubble tab button on the bottom to jump to the most recent unread tweet and he number will come back.

I have no idea why it works this way, but that's what I've figured out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PFlats posted:

The number shows up only when there are unread tweets on screen. If you've scrolled back down into tweets you've read before, it goes away. You can tap on the conversation bubble tab button on the bottom to jump to the most recent unread tweet and he number will come back.

I have no idea why it works this way, but that's what I've figured out.
Yeah but it doesn't show up for me sometimes even when I'm going through unread tweets and haven't scrolled back :haw:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The only problems I have with Tweetbot 4 is it puts those dumb blue/white checks on every verified person's picture, and that if you use Safari there's no way to go back to TB just by swiping. Neither one is a deal breaker but they are both pretty annoying.

Edit: and I just figured out that you can disable the checks by disabling the "badges" options.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 5, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How long is the window to get a refund for an app?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there an app that can change the default app to open when you click on something? For instance, when I click an address, I want Waze to open up instead of Maps.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Etrips posted:

Is there an app that can change the default app to open when you click on something? For instance, when I click an address, I want Waze to open up instead of Maps.

Not without a jailbreak.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Kaizoku posted:

I know I'm hating on TweetBot a bit in here, but it just astounds me the amounts you're willing to put up with at the price point.

The app is $5. For me this just means I got one less beer last night out.

If another app exists where I can browse my lists quickly, I'd be more than interested.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 6, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
People who don't use Twitterrific are literal idioms

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Slowhanded posted:

The app is $5. For me this just means I got one less beer last night out.

If another app exists where I can browse my lists quickly, I'd be more than interested.

So "it's not good, but at least it's better?" That I can understand. I don't entirely get how others use twitter and this is informative.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I still haven't figured out how to do lists.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I don't know what a power user of Twitter does differently than someone who just checks their feed and clicks some links to articles every once in a while. If I want to save something to read later I send it to Readability and that's that.

Not sure why using Lists is so popular unless you're really that adamant about filtering through what tweets you see. Does Tweetbot really even do this much better than Twitter? Why are you following so many users that you need to filter anyway?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The official Twitter app is great now and haven't felt the need to update to any of the newer Tweetbot apps.

If they were able to make a Facebookbot, I'd be all over that.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i will switch back to twitter's official app when it supports the native safari browser. i can't imagine not having ad-block now

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't know what a power user of Twitter does differently than someone who just checks their feed and clicks some links to articles every once in a while. If I want to save something to read later I send it to Readability and that's that.

Not sure why using Lists is so popular unless you're really that adamant about filtering through what tweets you see. Does Tweetbot really even do this much better than Twitter? Why are you following so many users that you need to filter anyway?

Much of my professional network is on Twitter, and lists help me separate professional discussion from general noise. Beyond that, there are some voices in my field that are more important than others, and lists allow me to carefully follow some users while periodically ignoring others.

I don't know if this makes me a power user, but I do know that Twitter can be used for much more than random links and animated gifs.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
hey

just use twitterrific

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
noistranuat reminds me of my favourite Tweetbot feature, muting

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
twitterrific has muting and muffling

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

There is a twitter account that i follow which tweets anytime there is a wreck on the interstate, which is a part of my commute. I have the official twitter client set to notify me anytime there is a tweet from that account so i don't miss anything. Is this type of notification something only the official client supports? I could never get Twitterrific or Tweetbot 3 to do any notifications like this.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ShoogaSlim posted:

Why are you following so many users that you need to filter anyway?

Really? Sometimes I'd like to just see things related to work, sometimes I'd like to see just see Rangers journalists commentary during a live game I can't watch, sometimes I'd like to just see if a closer got pulled today for fantasy baseball, sometimes I'd like just see dumb pictures from my old friends from college, and sometimes I'd like to just see road conditions after a 5 car crash on I-495. I use the main timeline the vast majority of the time, but sometimes you want a little bit more granular control. Is that really such a crazy idea?

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 6, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Here's to the crazy ones

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

hadji murad posted:

noistranuat reminds me of my favourite Tweetbot feature, muting

I can mute people with the official client too.

ShoogaSlim posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't follow news accounts and poo poo like that because they tweet so god drat much. I figure if I could seperate them out into lists then I could follow them too and see the news tweets when I actually want to.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I've just never followed a substantial amount of people I know IRL on Twitter because their tweets are just shorter/even less useful Facebook status updates. I use Twitter almost primarily like an RSS feed of news/updates and following online personalities or whatever.

I'm not necessarily condemning using a Twitter one way or another, I'm just genuinely curious why anyone thinks Tweetbot is SO WORTH IT anymore. If Lists is the top reason, so be it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
tweetbot has never been worth anything

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can mute people with the official client too.

Tweetbot lets you mute for a day, week, month, forever it's like giving out probations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

noirstronaut posted:

tweetbot has never been worth anything

You are very committed to making GBS threads all over a Twitter client that I paid less for than I spent on a beer last night.