Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What kind of monster would you have to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
After finishing the game up to mission 46, I'm most impressed by the fact that Kojima used, like, the very last important scene in the game ('what about him?") as the first scene in the first trailer to the game. He must have had a lot of fun putting together the trailers.

One thing I'm curious about: in the Truth tapes, Zero is pricked by a pin which causes a long degeneration through the rest of the series. Right before this, Zero mentions the date (1941) and that a woman was moved by a man's sacrifice. Was this supposed to mean The Boss and The Sorrow? I know The Boss' unit was active during WWII and we don't hear much about The Sorrow after MGS3, so I'm just curious if this is fleshing out his relationship with The Boss.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dream Attack posted:

After finishing the game up to mission 46, I'm most impressed by the fact that Kojima used, like, the very last important scene in the game ('what about him?") as the first scene in the first trailer to the game. He must have had a lot of fun putting together the trailers.

One thing I'm curious about : in the Truth tapes, Zero is pricked by a pin which causes a long degeneration through the rest of the series. Right before this, Zero mentions the date (1941) and that a woman was moved by a man's sacrifice. Was this supposed to mean The Boss and The Sorrow? I know The Boss' unit was active during WWII and we don't hear much about The Sorrow after MGS3, so I'm just curious if this is fleshing out his relationship with The Boss.

I believe so.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm not sure Sahelanthropus even really deliberately killed Skull Face. He was just sorta thrashing around on Eli/Mantis's orders and Skull Face ended up getting crushed by some debris. If Skull Face had just hid in a hole or something he'd have been fine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That could even have been Mantis's own initiative. "Yep found a new best friend. You go squish now"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sorrow doesn't bite it until, like, 63 or something, when Boss and Sorrow end up on opposite sides of the Cold War.

E: I mean, I agree with you. I'd have a hard time thinking of someone else The Boss would regard that favorably. Though maybe it's the event that gets them together???

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 5, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Sorrow doesn't bite it until, like, 63 or something, when Boss and Sorrow end up on opposite sides of the Cold War.

Oh, then idk.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

FilthyImp posted:

From what I remember, you're clearly able to see The Sorrow's corpse during the Virtuous Mission - right before you're about to get nuked.

What surprises me most is that Volgin, The End and The Pain are all explained through parasites/mind control - but The Fury is left alone. I guess this means The Fury was just an angry dude? It's a shame since he was my favorite boss battle throughout the series!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FilthyImp posted:

E: I mean, I agree with you. I'd have a hard time thinking of someone else The Boss would regard that favorably. Though maybe it's the event that gets them together???

Perhaps her mentor was involved an a similar situation to her, where they were a double agent pretending to work for the SS and they gave their life for world peace.

Dream Attack posted:

From what I remember, you're clearly able to see The Sorrow's corpse during the Virtuous Mission - right before you're about to get nuked.

What surprises me most is that Volgin, The End and The Pain are all explained through parasites/mind control - but The Fury is left alone. I guess this means The Fury was just an angry dude? It's a shame since he was my favorite boss battle throughout the series!

What? I thought that only the End's powers were retcon'd to be parasites

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

Broseph Brostar posted:

What? I thought that only the End's powers were retcon'd to be parasites?

During a mission in Chapter 2, Kaz (or Ocelot maybe, I forget) explains that The End had special powers but another Cobra Unit member could manipulate hormones to control insects via parasites.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Holy poo poo, I've been invaded by that guy before he got that down :stare:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dream Attack posted:

The Fury's boss battle is great and has fantastic music. He doesn't really do anything supernatural when you fight him though, he's just an angry guy with a flamethrower and a jetpack (and then post-death he becomes a big flaming skull).

e: I'm actually kind of disappointed that the Pain's backstory where he let hornets sting him a zillion times until they thought he was one of them has been partially retconned.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Fury's boss battle was great, it was hide-and-seek against an indestructible-from-the-front juggernaut. It was a reprise and improvement on the idea behind the Vulcan Raven fight.

(still bitter they never let you attempt to fight Fortune in hand-to-hand combat, I bet it would have worked...)

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The Fury's power: he had a big flamethrower. In a way that makes him the coolest boss in MGS because he isn't some spiritual shaman, he isn't blessed by the wolves, he isn't genetically modified, he isn't a super-soldier, he's not a psychic, or a vampire, or pumped full of nano machines...

He's just really mad.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
What bullshit explanation did Kojima come up with for Vamp's ability to immobilize people by pining their shadows the ground with knives?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Colapops posted:

The Fury's power: he had a big flamethrower. In a way that makes him the coolest boss in MGS because he isn't some spiritual shaman, he isn't blessed by the wolves, he isn't genetically modified, he isn't a super-soldier, he's not a psychic, or a vampire, or pumped full of nano machines...

He's just really mad.

I really wish I had the patience to play through MGS3 again in subsistence. I hated that fight in the original because of the camera angles.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Castor Poe posted:

What bullshit explanation did Kojima come up with for Vamp's ability to immobilize people by pining their shadows the ground with knives?

He's a vampire. Or possibly Peter Pan.

A Peter Panpire.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

Hypnosis was the ingame reason i think

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Castor Poe posted:

That was explained in MGS2 as some kind of hypnosis using light reflected off the blade IIRC?

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

Belief

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Which is fine because, well, "your beliefs can warp your reality" was one of the themes of MGS2.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

Colapops posted:

He's just really mad.

I'm cool with this, I know that not every boss needs to lay a foundation for the future games. Admittedly I was extremely impressed by the Salehanthrepous fight because of the mobility and animations of the robot ... even with that though it doesn't quite match up to the European Extreme version of the Fury!

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Speedball posted:

Which is fine because, well, "your beliefs can warp your reality" was one of the themes of MGS2.

That was what I was getting at. But warp is the wrong word to use, they are the totality of our reality. The control of those beliefs is the true war zone of our era.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This reminds me of speed running Facility in Goldeneye back when video quality on the Internet at its best looked like this lovely video. Too bad FOBs are actually more predictable than an N64 game that learned how to make sure some parts of the mission were randomized.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Dream Attack posted:

Yeah, this was really fun to go back and look at. I was actually in the room at GDC when he showed that trailer and I remember being confused by that, and also the text at the end when it flashed "FROM FOX, 2 PHANTOMS WERE BORN" and "V HAS COME TO." It's fun to think that Kojima was sitting a foot from all of us telling us the ending of a game 3 years away without us knowing!

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Snak posted:

He's a vampire. Or possibly Peter Pan.

A Peter Panpire.

One of the few things I remember about MGS4 is that it completely ruined Vamp by revealing that he's not really Anime Dracula, but just a nano-machined up dude.

ImpAtom posted:

That was explained in MGS2 as some kind of hypnosis using light reflected off the blade IIRC?

This actually sounds vaguely familiar. It's been too long since I played MGS2.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I bear Mission 46 yesterday and I think the ending was brilliant and a fitting end for the MGS franchise.

I especially liked how it made Zero and The Patriots look less like cartoon villains and more like an organization that spiraled out of control due to hubris and idiocy.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I don't understand how he is able to complete it without an alert.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Is there other story stuff unlocked if you beat all 50 missions or can I go back to this game not dominating my free time?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I completed all side missions :toot:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

commy gun posted:

Is there other story stuff unlocked if you beat all 50 missions or can I go back to this game not dominating my free time?

barring something unlocking in the Oct. 6th patch, yes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dream Attack posted:

Volgin wasn't explained as parasites, it was only The End, The Pain and The Fear. The Sorrow is still pure supernatural, and yes The Fury is just a really angry dude.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

As far as I know, that poo poo with Fortune near the end of MGS2 never got explained either. games a spooky as hell

On the topic of explaining away extraordinary abilities, I want to be in the VA both with Troy Baker and watch him as he "explains" Psycho Mantis' powers.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 5, 2015

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

FutonForensic posted:

As far as I know, that poo poo with Fortune near the end of MGS2 never got explained either. games a spooky as hell

Wasn't it because she had a powerful magnet inside of her?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
At this point I'm just going to assume she's Volgin's grand-daughter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blattdorf posted:

Yeah, but then Ocelot turns it off and she still manages to do it. I assume it was just some latent psychic ability she activated at the last moment.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

She had an EM device that Liquid (or was it Solidus) snuck on her and made her think she had magical abilities, then took it away from her, only for her to prove she had THE POWER after all. CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Somebodys theory in one of the MGSV threads was that GW reactivated Fortune's EM field to save the lives of Solid and Raiden (both so that they could be utilized in the future and so that the S3 plan could be completed). Ocelot going loopy wasnt part of their exercise, and that missile attack would have killed everyone in the area.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I felt kind of stupid because it took me way too long to realize that Quiet was the lady at the very beginning of the game. When they reveal that she was an XOF member burned at the hospital I just thought it was during the whole Man on Fire thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

Somebodys theory in one of the MGSV threads was that GW reactivated Fortune's EM field to save the lives of Solid and Raiden (both so that they could be utilized in the future and so that the S3 plan could be completed). Ocelot going loopy wasnt part of their exercise, and that missile attack would have killed everyone in the area.

Does Ocelet give it back? Because he takes it from her, which is why she shoots at him and the bullets whiz around him.

• Locked thread