Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
OATH COMPLETE

This is your Caillou:

This is your Caillou on Chaos:

I claim the September theme for the tribute to my children's one time favorite TV show, Caillou. If you've never seen it, don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

And yet, they look good!

Yeah, seriously, Gareth Gobulcoque, you should half-rear end more stuff into looking like these. I like 'em!

(Sorry, taking a short break to chime in, didn't mean to break the flow of incoming oaths)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Pyrolocutus posted:

I, Pyrolocutus, am getting off my rear end and oathing Allison Jakes, a Cygnar solo from Privateer Press' Warmachine line.

This model will be done for the jurnal. Privateer Press partnered with Whitemoon Dreams to create a computer game based on Warmachine, called Warmachine Tactics, and ran a Kickstarter for it. Various soloes were available in alternative sculpts as KS rewards, and Allison Jakes was one of them, and this is the alt sculpt in question. She's also the star of the release campaign for the game!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oath addition! This is Taelor, a Malifaux mini from Wyrd, part of the Outcast faction! I also hope to have her qualify for the jurnal.

Oaths complete! Jurnal accomplished!

Allison Jakes, again, she starred in Warmachine Tactics:

Taelor, meant to be based on Misty from Pokemon. Instead of summoning her own Pokemon, though, she rushes over and smashes the summoned opponent with her hammer. :black101: (Also, I fixed the headband color after this photo was taken).

Back to back pose:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Not my best work this month. I think I was overwhelmed by the horror of Ork Teletubbies (the Theme Challenge).

/shudder

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oath Complete!

No jurnal this month.

Eldar dude included for scale: (NOTE: ELDAR DUDE NOT PART OF OATH):

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

:commissar:THIS HATEFUL OATH IS COMPLETE

EDIT: FORGOT THE DUMB WOOKIE

THEME

This dumb oath that I didn't have time for and I didn't like doing and bad models that I thoroughly half assed.

They look good to me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Failed 24 hour oath like a chump.

EDIT: gently caress IT, I'll save the whales during the weekend or something.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 1, 2015

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

Journal

I tried to paint them like Brotherhood of Steel from Fallout games, turns out that color combination is almost identical to the studio paint job.

They are also joined by some NCR Rangers, also from Fallout (New Vegas specifically)

(I didn't have time to make bases for these guys, good thing I didn't include bases in the oath picture)

I claim Speedpaint for this guy

Special Oath! Since I goofed earlier in the season and was given mercy (and points) I promised to make a Mercy Oath. So I painted the sorriest looking model in my collection. Don't know what I will use him for, but he certainly is sorry.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Oath Complete!

Holy gently caress you guys this page is killing my imgur upload/download speed, I can't even preview my own photo uploads, how big are all these photos?

Anyway

Claiming the challenge and :siren: Anime is TV too!:siren: with my Numenera Raster, painted up to look like

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind :3:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For the month of October, I, Electric Hobo, oath 3 soldiers. A mix of North Star and Gripping Beast.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Oath Failed booooooooooo. Oh well. I'll probably Save and knock 'em out this month; at least I got some paint on dudes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah, I love the end of the month. Not only does it mean payday, it means some sweet sweet Oaths coming through!

Electric Hobo posted:

For the month of October, I, Electric Hobo, oath 3 soldiers. A mix of North Star and Gripping Beast.

Oath Accepted!

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I am submitting my first Oath. for October

2 Thrall Warriors, 6 Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers, 10 Horgenhold Forgeguard and a Charger light warjack. Warmachine models from Privateer Press

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Danimo posted:

I am submitting my first Oath. for October

2 Thrall Warriors, 6 Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers, 10 Horgenhold Forgeguard and a Charger light warjack. Warmachine models from Privateer Press

Oath Accepted!

And welcome!! if you have any questions or (as a new Oather) have any suggestions on how to make things clearer, please let me know :)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one Soul Porter and a spoooooky gravestone. Soul Porter is a dual faction Ten Thunders/Resurrectionist model from Wyrd's Malifaux, while the gravestone is from Plastcraft Games Japanese Grave Set.

Please let me know if the gravestone won't count for "something spooky".

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Signal posted:

Oath Complete!

Claiming the Theme Challenge and Aetherium Flag for the American Flag!

So, I never got the Journal point from my July Oath! (Also September is blank but I'm sure that's in progress :P )

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Oath Complete!

No jurnal this month.

Eldar dude included for scale: (NOTE: ELDAR DUDE NOT PART OF OATH):

Uhh. I seem to have written "august" when obviously it was september. Because I've lost track of what month this is.

Should I fix this, or what? I have the originals so it wouldn't be too hard to re-do the cropping/resizing/labeling for these four photos.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Question about this month's Challenge!

quote:

theme challenge: put something spooOOOOooky on your model!

Is it enough to paint something stereotypically spooky (like a skeleton or ghost mini), or is "put... on" the operative phrase and it needs to be something that wasn't part of the original model?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JerryLee posted:

Question about this month's Challenge!

Is it enough to paint something stereotypically spooky (like a skeleton or ghost mini), or is "put... on" the operative phrase and it needs to be something that wasn't part of the original model?

To me the breakdown is: scary thing in greyscale/black&white or thing with spoooooky freehand/details. Though obviously wait for the judges to weight in!

EDIT:

:siren:I, Lord Aba, oath for October three kobalt whipdudes, two kobalt assassins, one One Shot and one Wolf Elf (Soda Pop Minis, chibi scale). :siren:

1 assassin and 1 whipdude have a single coat of red on the skin. The Wolf Elf will be 2spooky.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 2, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

LordAba posted:

To me the breakdown is: scary thing in greyscale/black&white or thing with spoooooky freehand/details. Though obviously wait for the judges to weight in!

Well, the other challenge was a classic movie monster, not just anything spooky. I don't know if I'd call a random ghost a classic movie monster. :v:

But ultimately, of course, the thread administrators will let us know.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:'krushgroove :siren: Did the KR Multicase draw from June ever get done, or did I just miss the results somehow?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, so here's the Challenge for October!

October: The month of horror movie releases and Halloween!
  • technical challenge: paint a 'classic' scary monster, like Frankenstein, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. - but in black and white!
  • theme challenge: put something spooOOOOooky on your model!

:siren: :siren:I need to amend this :siren: :siren: as the "'classic' scary monster" is unintentionally too limiting in the scope of models. Please update the technical challenge to:
  • technical challenge: paint any monster model in 'classic' black and white, just like Boris Karlof's Frankenstein, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, or giant ants - those classic movie monsters from the 40's, 50's and 60's!

To answer the specific questions (which is fine! questions are good!):

JerryLee posted:

I think you mean 'is it enough to paint a ghost model, skeleton model, mummy model, etc, or must we add something (as in sculpting?)' - if this is the case then:
YES - you can paint a ghost, skeleton, mummy or other stereotypically 'spooky' to claim the them challenge
OR - you can convert a model, for example to look like a slashfic horror victim or as Michael Myers or Freddie Krueger or other horror villain
OR - you can...I dunno, paint a spooky ghost on the side of a flyer model or something like that
OR - do whatever you think is within the theme of the challenge. I don't want to be extremely limiting here because of the breadth of games that are represented, and the various themes that people have for their army. It's up to your creative input to come up with something that fits within the theme challenge.

LordAba posted:

To me the breakdown is: scary thing in greyscale/black&white or thing with spoooooky freehand/details.
The TECHNICAL challenges are meant to really challenge people - this month's in particular because doing black and white well is HARD. If you don't want to do that but still want to get your Challenge point, find something 'spooky' to paint, add to a model or whatever.

JerryLee posted:

Well, the other challenge was a classic movie monster, not just anything spooky. I don't know if I'd call a random ghost a classic movie monster. :v:
My original answer to this was what got me to change the Technical Challenge actually - To me and folks of my age (omg I'm getting old) 'classic' in this case means 'black and white drive-in movie from the 40's, 50's and 60's' - and I'd started to say stuff about Scooby-Doo monsters and Casper when I realized the strict wording of the Technical Challenge meant that you had to FIND THE EXACT RIGHT MODEL, which is not really in the spirit of the Oath Thread. So it's now open to any monster model.

LordAba posted:

:siren:I, Lord Aba, oath for October three kobalt whipdudes, two kobalt assassins, one One Shot and one Wolf Elf (Soda Pop Minis, chibi scale). :siren:

1 assassin and 1 whipdude have a single coat of red on the skin. The Wolf Elf will be 2spooky.
Oath Accepted!

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:'krushgroove :siren: Did the KR Multicase draw from June ever get done, or did I just miss the results somehow?

Good news! I've put off doing this for long enough that I should be able to get the OWNER of KR Multicase to decide which is his own favorite this weekend, at the Derby World Wargames show!

(speaking of which, Indolent Bastard, did you get your Troll Trader prize in the mail?)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I did get the troll trader crate, thanks!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
:siren: August Judgement! :siren:

Third Place: MasterSlowPoke, 1pt

An excellent use of old parts to get a Destroyer Lord! He's got a regal, imposing look, which really helps make him stand out as Very Important.

Second Place: Schmetterling, 2pts

On a technical level your OSL is pretty good--kind of blocky, and could do with some blending, but otherwise does the job. But it's very bold and gives the models a lot of pop, and really distinguished visual flair, and with this model in particular I commend the use of the reaper flame bit. Next time, try adding an LED through the bottom!

First Place: Nesbit37, 3pts

The whole group of Ents are great, but this guy really popped out to me. Your use of glow effects and the look of terror and pain really adds a lot of character to such a small piece!

Bonus Point: Weirdo

Okay, you got a laugh out of me, you cheeky little bastard.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath one converted Ork Trukk for October! (28mm, GW)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I, Uroboros, oath one Space Marine Land Speeder.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Oath Accepted!

And welcome!! if you have any questions or (as a new Oather) have any suggestions on how to make things clearer, please let me know :)

Can I add another Thrall Warrior to my Oath if it only has a bit of paint on it? I put a coat of MSP Dirty Bone on the skull and bony bits a day before I found this thread.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Pyrolocutus posted:

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one Soul Porter and a spoooooky gravestone. Soul Porter is a dual faction Ten Thunders/Resurrectionist model from Wyrd's Malifaux, while the gravestone is from Plastcraft Games Japanese Grave Set.

Please let me know if the gravestone won't count for "something spooky".

Just re-highlighting the oath I made, since LordAba (who oathed after me) was noted, but I wasn't.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of October four bases of Valkyries, a Hades walker and one Battlebus. All for Dropzone Commander by Hawk Wargames, 10mm scale

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I oath 12 Praetorian Swordesmen from the Skorne faction of Hordes

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: August Judgment! :siren:

Third Place, 1 Point: Gareth Gobulcoque

This little guy is very solid. Intense but balanced colors all around, and good use of light.

Second Place, 2 Points: Dr. Gargunza

Great shading and highlighting on the mouse, it looks good on those large rounded surfaces.

First Place, 3 Points: Germ

This dragon is fantastic. You made great use of a limited palette and the whole piece fits together quite well.

Jurnal, 1 Point: Electric Hobo

This is an excellent implementation of OSL, and the scene it depicts is very striking.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
(Thanks, Red Shoe! :) )

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Flesh Golem! Reaper Bones, 28mm. As is becoming something of a habit for me this thread, I'll be converting it to look more spooOOookyy and reposting the results soon.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Red Shoe posted:

This dragon is fantastic. You made great use of a limited palette and the whole piece fits together quite well.

Yea! - thanks a million! It was really fun to paint.

October Oath

Hey - see this Eldar Wave Serpent? By GW? I'm totally going to paint it. This month. In fact, I'm so serious, that I OATH it.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

A Solemn Oath:

Ten veteran guards from Rise of the Kage, by GCT Studios in 28mm

BobFish
Jan 16, 2004

Believe: The Sequel - This time it really will happen
I BobFish hereby oath for October:

3 Gargoyles - Mantic, 28mm
1 VanHalfling - Heresy Miniatures, 28mm

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Red Shoe posted:

Jurnal, 1 Point: Electric Hobo

Wooo, my first judge awarded point :toot:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, Oath addition!
1 Ghost
. From the Reaper Bones line.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I Grey Hunter, oath for the month of October: A bunch of Dropzone commander stuff - 10mm, Hawk Games.

1 Screamer, the nightmare of Infantry.
1 Raider class dropship.
1 Harbinger class dropship.
3 Marauder class dropships.
4 Vampires.
1 Bear APC
1 Bus
12 Flak teams
12 Hazard Suits

I got a good haul at Invasion.....

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I, head58, Oath these little dudes for October: 1 Basilisk Drake and 1 Basilisk Krea, 40mm Skorne beasts from Privateer Press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

October Oath

I oath five stands of Epic Eldar rangers.

• Locked thread