Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I mean Tiny Lowtax at least posted pics of himself and is legit

JebanyPedal was probably just a mental patient though

I just post my pathetic lifts in here so there's at least some perspective that not everyone in this thread is already a giant monster that throws around trucks when they can't go to the gym

(Plus people are actually helpful)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Alfalfa posted:

What in the absolute gently caress is this thread about?

Chill gym discussion, cool sperg-free responses to dudes asking questions, advice on how to best quaff muscle potions, all within a nice easy to approach place

its to gymming what the DnD chat thread is to DnD

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Alfalfa posted:

have you ever shaved another mans rear end in a top hat

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Zzulu posted:

have you ever shaved another mans rear end in a top hat

Straight, safety, or 3 bladed Gillette?

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
I miss Jebany, there I said it

monny
Oct 20, 2008

Carbing up on cider brrrr

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
My wife flew home so I'm the strongest in my basement gym today :q:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How many reps do you need on the last set of 5/3/1 in order to not be considered a failure? Your training max is 90% of your 1RM which is comparable to a 5RM right? So you would need to do something like 7 reps at 95% of your TM/5RM for it to be considered an improvement?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa posted:

Alfalfa! I used your Powerbuilder routine for literal years when I was just starting out. Thanks man.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
On your 1 day? 1 is all you need. Ideally you'll beat what you did last cycle every time but sometimes you have an off day which is why you use 90%. What you should be hitting for progress in your first cycle has too many variables to really answer. The program is all about finding out how you work and learning from that you modify it to meet your personal needs.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

It completely depends on what lift you're doing. My bench is strong, so I'll hit 5-7 on 1+ day, but loving lol if you think I'm getting more than 1 rep on OHP or 1-2 on squat.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress the All Blacks for playing badly, but I'm still happy they won

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So is the idea that you progress until your training max isn't actually 90% of your 1RM? I finished my first cycle a couple weeks ago and I got 5 reps in on squats at 335, that's 95% of 350. But 350 is what my 5RM is so it feels like that shouldn't really count as progress.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

You add 5lbs to your OHP and bench and 10lbs to your DL and squat every cycle, so your 1RM increases incrementally.

Your squats might be close to your 5RM, but the idea is to be training below max effort (hence why you cut your + sets 1-2 reps short of failure.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

Also if 350 is your 5RM, you should be hitting 335x7 or more.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah I think I had an off day. Did 297.5x10 today and felt pretty decent.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Youtube is great for feeling like absolute poo poo about yourself. I spend all of my "real life" being told by everybody, even at gay bars, that I have an amazing physique and it bloats up my confidence ten fold. All it takes to ruin that is spending 5 minutes on Youtube to see guys that only weigh like 15 pounds more than me but are twice as huge and leaner and lift twice my weight on every lift to send me crashing back down to earth. I like to believe Youtube stars like Bradley Martin, Mike Rashid and his group aren't actually real and just really good CGI cutscenes from a anime.

This applies to any hobby or skill you think you have, actually. No matter how good you are at something there is definitely 20 people on Youtube that will make you feel like poo poo.

limeincoke fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 3, 2015

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

just tell yourself all of em are juicin

you'll be right some of the time too

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

limeincoke posted:

Youtube is great for feeling like absolute poo poo about yourself. I spend all of my "real life" being told by everybody, even at gay bars, that I have an amazing physique and it bloats up my confidence ten fold. All it takes to ruin that is spending 5 minutes on Youtube to see guys that only weight like 15 pounds more than me but are twice as huge and leaner and lift twice my weight on every lift to send me crashing back down to earth. I like to believe Youtube stars like Bradely Martin, Mike Rashid and his group aren't actually real and just really good CGI cutscenes from a anime.

This applies to any hobby or skill you think you have, actually. No matter how good you are at something there is definitely 20 people on Youtube that will make you feel like poo poo.

Who gives a poo poo how much weight you lift? As long as you like how you look.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

limeincoke posted:

Youtube is great for feeling like absolute poo poo about yourself. I spend all of my "real life" being told by everybody, even at gay bars, that I have an amazing physique and it bloats up my confidence ten fold. All it takes to ruin that is spending 5 minutes on Youtube to see guys that only weight like 15 pounds more than me but are twice as huge and leaner and lift twice my weight on every lift to send me crashing back down to earth. I like to believe Youtube stars like Bradely Martin, Mike Rashid and his group aren't actually real and just really good CGI cutscenes from a anime.

To be like Bradely just start massive amounts of steroids and don't forget the synthol.

For Mike paint yourself black.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

limeincoke posted:

Youtube is great for feeling like absolute poo poo about yourself. I spend all of my "real life" being told by everybody, even at gay bars, that I have an amazing physique and it bloats up my confidence ten fold. All it takes to ruin that is spending 5 minutes on Youtube to see guys that only weigh like 15 pounds more than me but are twice as huge and leaner and lift twice my weight on every lift to send me crashing back down to earth. I like to believe Youtube stars like Bradley Martin, Mike Rashid and his group aren't actually real and just really good CGI cutscenes from a anime.

That's why compliments are just something you say "thanks" to and then keep working hard. If compliments from people at the bar are your goal, that's aiming pretty low because anything above what average should be is going to get a compliment. And that's only because average has slide down a few notches with all the fat acceptance and dad bod poo poo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
ultimately feeling bad that other people are better than you at something is silly unless you're prepared to snort new and exciting drugs and dedicating half your life to lifting weights

if you're slim and have nice muscles you're already in the top 10% of straight guys, enjoy it

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
The YLLS general thread can get pretty E/Nish so it's nice to have a thread where people can just shoot the poo poo, be silly, and talk about lifting.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Students are the worst. Seem to think that gym equipment is something to stand around while talking.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Stefan Prodan posted:

Also a hot young twink guy corrected my form the other day when I was doing the stronglifts barbell rows and I guess I had my back bent a little bit. He was really nice but I didn't offer to suck his dick in the locker room afterwards so maybe that was poor form on my part?

I heard him talking later to some dudes about doing actual bodybuilding shows. He was a really small but swole dude like Tiny Lowtax

I hope I can look like that dude in like 5 years

Woah what is this poo poo? I'm not really small.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Denial ain't just a river in Zimbabwe, it's time you started working on acceptance.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Also I've been waiting 3 days to post that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've just arranged delivery of a cage and 400lbs of barbell+weights. Should keep me going for a while because I am pissweak but intend to put an end to that.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Aren't you like 165 and a size 30 waist or something?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
If you're not The Mountain you're not a man

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

Aren't you like 165 and a size 30 waist or something?

That's "really small"? Jebany was 5'4" THAT'S really small. I'm 5'10"

Also, the fact you knew my weight and waist size is creepy as fuuuuuck

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You post about quite frequently tho. I remember you being especially braggart of your waspish waist.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

That's "really small"

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tiny Lowtax posted:

adding tiny lowtaxes height to my SA forums posters spreadsheet

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You posted it in this very thread, the one that I read

It was notable because I was like wow that is very small

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
how dare you repeat information i freely gave out publicly!

p creepy imho

LordArgh posted:

adding tiny lowtaxes height to my SA forums posters spreadsheet

same

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Like 30 years ago I'm pretty sure a 30 I CH waist was the norm. Now it's "really small". America is so loving fat it's disgusting

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

rezatahs posted:

how dare you repeat information i freely gave out publicly!

p creepy imho

Yeah when I gave it out like 6 months ago, it's pretty drat creepy to remember it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Right I mean I guess that's also why it was memorable, I thought I was normal when I was a 32 so reading that anyone was a 30 was like drat

Now I am like a 34 but hopefully that's temporary, my weight is staying the same while my lifts are going up so if that continues then that's fine I guess

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yeah when I gave it out like 6 months ago, it's pretty drat creepy to remember it

Maybe your memory is just destroyed from all the roids but some people don't really have a problem remembering things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Tiny Lowtax posted:

idk man it's pretty well known that you share at your own risk on the internet and if someone remembering your waist size weirds you out you might want to share less

• Locked thread