Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
There's a Life and, I think Death mastery spell that slows your rate of ageing such that, if you roll an exceptional success when casting you just don't age when it's active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I like the idea of mages almost universally moving toward a form of fragile immortality as they age. Fragile in the sense that it's really unlikely to work indefinately. Mages growing dependent on magic as they age is super the thematic.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So for my group's first session, I'm going to run a small "Baby's First World of Darkness" game where I'm going to go over the different skills and whatnot. I'm making them all play simple dumb humans because 1. they don't know how to play this game and B. they can't agree on one creature to play. One wants to be a Mage, another desperately wants to play a werewolf, and one just wants to be a cultist (:wtf:). Once they get through this I'll probably make them vote on the next creature they all get to play, that way I don't have to teach the mechanics more than once (hopefully).

It can be fun to be a servant. Has cultist guy gamed before? I mean, it's basically infinite plot-hooks. Having a mentor/weird god who needs you to do weird things isn't the worst way to get into gaming.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you read "cultist" as a regular guy in the thrall of some otherworldly entity, you've potentially found the only person on Earth who wants to play Geist.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Could someone link me to that massive post (I believe on another forum) that explained cWoD pretty heavily? I remember seeing it here first.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

If you read "cultist" as a regular guy in the thrall of some otherworldly entity, you've potentially found the only person on Earth who wants to play Geist.

Geist could be actually quite good if its execution didn't suck massively.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mors Rattus posted:

Geist could be actually quite good if its execution didn't suck massively.

I dunno, after Beast Geist is looking a lot better.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno, after Beast Geist is looking a lot better.

Oh, to be sure, Geist is just badly written and has terrible mechanics, it is not offensively terrible.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

Could someone link me to that massive post (I believe on another forum) that explained cWoD pretty heavily? I remember seeing it here first.

This maybe??

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-classic-world-of-darkness/70549-a-brief-metaplot-of-cwod

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Every time I read this I am reminded of how little of the metaplot I really understood despite having hundreds of dollars in hardbacks.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Looking at the very first post in that and ignoring the rest, all I can think is "So the Neverborn are Neverborn because they don't have parents, they were just raised by their GrandMaw."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not sure how accurate a lot of that summary is.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Trying to integrate different WoD game lines' backstories and metaplots is a fruitless (and tedious) exercise, considering how most of them fundamentally and sometimes deliberately contradict each other. I mean, right off the bat you have to pick and choose between the monotheistic Genesis-ish origin of the universe from VtM and DtF, the triatic WtA cosmology, and the various MtAs paradigms that are either completely agnostic or else work on the premise that all souls and such are fragments of God, who no longer exists as a singular and discrete being. Even the crossover elements in the metaplot are completely irrelevant outside of the whole Avatar Storm thing, and the exact origin of the storm doesn't really matter in practice outside of edge case chronicles that are specifically focused on that element of Gehenna or whatever.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm still kind of awestruck at Geist organizations being cults. "Hey, if you want to work with some other Sin-Eaters, you should come up with an elaborate religion and convert to it" doesn't inspire "hey, I want to play this!" like it was meant to.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Thanks. I dunno how accurate it is either, but there was something I needed to check on after a discussion with a friend about Caine.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My god. It's at once terrible and glorious and I almost almost want to play in a game that runs through that whole plot because it's so damned ridiculous.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm way not okay with Charon having any sort of supernatural background beyond having become a Wraith really early in the history of organized Wraiths.

Charon's just this guy, you know?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Looking at the very first post in that and ignoring the rest, all I can think is "So the Neverborn are Neverborn because they don't have parents, they were just raised by their GrandMaw."

Amazingly, there are two different ancient cthonic demon-mothers known as Grand Maw/Grandmother in oWoD: the colossal Wyrm-serpent that lives under the Trinity test site and houses in the Black Spiral Dancers' preeminent caern inside her corpus, and the nigh-omnipotent "mother" of the Neverborn from Wraith/Orpheus. I'm sure there's a fan theory somewhere that finds some way to claim that the two of them are actually the same being, despite that being somehow more stupid than anything else in this post.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm way not okay with Charon having any sort of supernatural background beyond having become a Wraith really early in the history of organized Wraiths.

Charon's just this guy, you know?

Charon was revealed to be a random soldier from an early Etruscan Kingdom in Ends of Empire. The Angel Charon from Demon: the Fallen is a completely separate character with the same name.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Charon was revealed to be a random soldier from an early Etruscan Kingdom in Ends of Empire. The Angel Charon from Demon: the Fallen is a completely separate character with the same name.

Oh, good then.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, there's a lot wrong with that metaplot summary.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So how would I go about breaking Geist over my knee?

Caveats: Stygian Key not available at character creation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gtrmp posted:

or else work on the premise that all souls and such are fragments of God, who no longer exists as a singular and discrete being.

To be fair you could slot that into the Vampire/Demon cosmology fairly easily. God touched the face of Creation, and hasn't been meaningfully heard from since. Did God turn away, or was the Infinite fractured by the act of touching the Finite? Really, and as always, Werewolf is the only one that sits on the sidelines. The Triat just doesn't easily map to any of the settings well. Christ, it barely maps to werewolf well.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Solus posted:

So how would I go about breaking Geist over my knee?

Caveats: Stygian Key not available at character creation.

Step 1 - take boneyard anything.

Step 2 - see step 1

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So Clutch's new album dropped, and as usual, it contains some great poo poo that makes me want to play WoD games while getting drunk. This time it has one that makes me wish Beast had turned out like we initially thought it would be: the game of playing Universal horror monsters/mythic beasts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZRnyJltTTY

Drive us by pitchfork to caves by the sea
Atop the mountain, under cities
We are monsters, we are older than men
Yes, we are Gorgons and we will have our revenge!

Frighten their children by speaking our name
Epoch and eon, it's always the same
We are monsters, but we will no longer run
We are the cyclops and our time has come!

This world was ours before it had ever known men
Soon it will be ours again
Grant them their tales of their forefather's glory
For soon it will be ours again!

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Come to think of it, does anyone have a link to that old post in a previous version of this thread that basically explained all the stupid poo poo that went down after revised came out and the red star appeared? I think it included poo poo about the Tremere antitribu getting killed at a party.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 4, 2015

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My favourite little Geist thing was that one Geist power where you can detach your hand and have it move around independently of you being labelled as "perhaps the most disturbing power available to Sin-Eaters", when the power immediately prior to that one is "You can stick machinery in your body so you can pull it out whenever, and walk around being Tetsuo the Iron Man".

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Pussy Cartel posted:

Come to think of it, does anyone have a link to that old post in a previous version of this thread that basically explained all the stupid poo poo that went down after revised came out and the red star appeared? I think it included poo poo about the Tremere antitribu getting killed at a party.

I remember something about one of the werewolf tribes being called to Egypt to fight their "evil ghost grandma."

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Pussy Cartel posted:

Is this here what you had in mind?

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, Demon: The Fallen sure said a bunch of stuff people working on every other game ignored. I love ya Greg Stolze, but mages aren't filled with dead angel juice.

EDIT: That came off as snarky. Demon's definite tone was integral to that game, so it sort of had to go down like that, but by the Revised era we'd moved away from games making solid assertions about one another. That's why "Vampires have static stuff and shattered avatars and that's all you need to know," was deprecated.

MalcolmSheppard fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 5, 2015

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm still kind of awestruck at Geist organizations being cults. "Hey, if you want to work with some other Sin-Eaters, you should come up with an elaborate religion and convert to it" doesn't inspire "hey, I want to play this!" like it was meant to.

Yeah, I blew it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Yeah, I blew it.

Just do better in 2E, there's a gem of a game down in there.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, I'm looking forward to a properly playtested and edited Geist.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Yeah, Demon: The Fallen sure said a bunch of stuff people working on every other game ignored. I love ya Greg Stolze, but mages aren't filled with dead angel juice.

EDIT: That came off as snarky. Demon's definite tone was integral to that game, so it sort of had to go down like that, but by the Revised era we'd moved away from games making solid assertions about one another. That's why "Vampires have static stuff and shattered avatars and that's all you need to know," was deprecated.

I think it speaks volumes really that the two best oWoD lines - Orpheus and Demon - are also the ones that focused first and foremost on doing their own thing, and while perfectly willing to engage with the rest of the setting, didn't let that get in the way of their own concepts and conceits and even more importantly, their internal tonal consistency. It makes fitting them with the rest a little awkward at times, and some of the dedication to that consistency and those conceits creates odd choices that run totally counter to the other lines, but they're stronger for it.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 5, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Hey, considering that angels were in a sense machines that converted raw faith into reality-warping miracles, avatars-as-angel-fragments made perfect metaphysical sense. It's just cutting out the middle-man, by stapling him to your back.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The alternative is you just be a bit 'Gaiman' about it - There's no reason why all these things can't be true, at once. They just are, and their ability to all be true at the same time despite being apparently contradictory is why they're ineffable, and you're not.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So, kind of like this Onion article? http://www.theonion.com/article/sumerians-look-on-in-confusion-as-god-creates-worl-2879

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Kinda.

It's the argument that the worst thing about Demon making Mages be some weird Angel offspring is not the rationale given (though that is terrible) it's trying to rationalise their coexistence at all. They just are, and that's it. There is no coherant, rational reason why they do, because the WoD is not a coherant, rational world. If you're cynical, you can call that a writing cop-out, but going down that way is also why Dr. Douglas Netchurch keeps failing in the setting - His basic premise (the universe is scientifically rational and understandable) is actually wrong.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

But Mage in Demon aren't people with Angel shards in them? They're just humans realzing their true potential to Be As God: like in the time of the Babel Project. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The whole avatar-as-angel-shard was really only mentioned in character by a demon/angel like once as far as I'm aware. And I like the theory that he was just wrong, the avatar just seemed like an angel shard to him.