Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I liked the ED. After all that hot pumping action, it was nice with some standard relaxing poppy ballady stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

e X posted:

Honestly, as far as first episodes go, I wasn't a fan. Saitaman came across far too much like a standard shonen protagonist for me.

I felt the same way. The first few manga chapters are very expository and generic in order to set up the origin story so I cant fault the anime for that as it was very faithful (SCHOOL CHILD aside :mad:). I'm sure it will find its groove once we stat seeing some of the support characters

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I don't really think of standard shonen protagonists being really bored, so I don't get that. My main issue is that the pacing is more drawn out than the manga, which hurts it. I get why that is, the difference between manga and anime, but it makes me think this could get real dull if the animation doesn't keep up. To be fair, I haven't read much past what's happened in this episode, so maybe EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

My main issue is that the pacing is more drawn out than the manga, which hurts it.

This episode covered like 4 manga chapters, didn't it? I wouldn't say it moved at a bad clip at all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HellCopter posted:

I like how the OP is entirely Saitama punching things, and then the last 10 seconds are "Oh yeah there's these guys too".
When I saw the OP, considering what he says in the episode, it makes me think that those were his "I'M A GODDAMN HERO!" days before he became Apathy Man

Condiv posted:

i wonder when they're going to make a good version of opm and not the non-canon drivel.
What

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

This episode covered like 4 manga chapters, didn't it? I wouldn't say it moved at a bad clip at all.

Yeah, and I was impressed how they strung scenes together. There's just something about the speed with which Saitaman dispatches dudes in the manga that isn't going to translate to animation, I think. Unless you were doing three minute shorts, maybe.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the girl did not have school child on her clothes which was an important part of the whole scene and really drives home how evil and cruel vaccine man is. if we allow them to ignore canon on clothing then what other travesties will this obviously lackluster animation team commit? oppai hoodie replaced by turtleneck + fedora?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Or worse, a trenchcoat and iconic(?) cap!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Was that Frieza's VA on Vaccine Man?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Regardless, it should have been Piccolo. And Vaccine Man should have been green.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

(sorta, kinda) Colored like Dr. Manhattan, looks like Piccolo, voiced by Freiza.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 5, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Haven't watched the episode yet but if anything Vaccineman should be black/purple considering what he's based on

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

AnonSpore posted:

Haven't watched the episode yet but if anything Vaccineman should be black/purple considering what he's based on

He is.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
It was really good

like really really good

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
This is everything I ever hoped for.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:buddy: Flawless.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This was beautiful and perfect.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I watched the episode and it was good as hell, to me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

:buddy: Flawless.

It also matches the face i made when it happened.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This was a good thing to come home from work to.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TheKingofSprings posted:

It went pretty fast yeah. I like how the animation style switches around a bit, it feels really good and gives me faith that Serious Series will be done right.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey non, Ameribros, there's always Daisuki. It doesn't play quite as well as Hulu for me, but that may be because I am in fact in America. It still plays alright.

"We are sorry, this video from DAISUKI cannot be viewed in your country."
:(

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
Just saw the first episode of the anime. It was amazingly well done. My life is complete.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
That fight with the underground dudes was loving wild and I loved it to bits. I'm hoping with all my might that they'll maintain that level of quality throughout.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Really enjoyed the first episode. Disagree with the people who said he comes off like a standard shonen protagonist. There is probably 1 fight in the whole manga where he comes off like that and it's the crab fight. Which is why they put the boy in there with a giant butt chin so that it fits in with the rest of the show.

Every other fight he is a total goofball and they pretty much nailed it with vaccine man, and the giant dude. The only part of the whole episode that is new is the underground people fight and it's basically one long punchline that sums up the whole first episode. The epicness of the fight is the set up for the gag where the real thing is pathetic and a disappointment. Which is pretty much exactly how it was in the manga. Even the fight scene didn't take itself too seriously with him sending one of the giant subterraneans flying away like a bowling pin.

The only thing I wasn't feeling was the ending song seems to have nothing to do with the show and seemed out of place and the opening might have been too actiony which kinda I feel is not what the show is about at all so it's a little weird tone wise.

Vire fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 5, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Imma watch this now and if it's not amazing I will return to post most discontentedly on these forums

e: Holy gently caress Kanirante's bulge

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 5, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Okay that was actually really good and cool

So here's a factoid about our opening villain, Vaccineman. As noted in the OP, he's an homage to Baikin(germ)man, the antagonist of the children's book/anime series Soreike! Anpanman!. Saitama himself looks a lot like the titular Anpanman:

Anpanman's thing is that he's basically a mix of Pinocchio and Superman except his head is made of anpan, and he regularly feeds his own head to people in trouble what the poo poo :stonk:. After doing so he goes and gets his father figure, Old Man Jam, to bake him a new head.

Baikinman looks like this:

So you can see where the inspiration for his color palette came from. More amusingly, Baikinman's voice actor, Nakao Ryuusei, also did Vaccineman's bit in this episode using a slightly different version of the same voice he uses for Baikinman. :v:

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Finally managed to catch the ep after sitting around being annoyed at work for the day and like, holy poo poo, i knew this was going to be amazingly animated but I didn't know it was going to be THIS amazingly animated

like, holy poo poo.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

AnonSpore posted:

Okay that was actually really good and cool

So here's a factoid about our opening villain, Vaccineman. As noted in the OP, he's an homage to Baikin(germ)man, the antagonist of the children's book/anime series Soreike! Anpanman!. Saitama himself looks a lot like the titular Anpanman:

Anpanman's thing is that he's basically a mix of Pinocchio and Superman except his head is made of anpan, and he regularly feeds his own head to people in trouble what the poo poo :stonk:. After doing so he goes and gets his father figure, Old Man Jam, to bake him a new head.where the inspiration for his color palette came from. More amusingly, Baikinman's voice actor, Nakao Ryuusei, also did Vaccineman's bit in this episode using a slightly different version of the same voice he uses for Baikinman. :v:

This is also why people(including Saitama) are always getting Saitama Red Bean flavored stuff, which he hates.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

This is also why people(including Saitama) are always getting Saitama Red Bean flavored stuff, which he hates.

Oh my god

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Anpanman is amazing. The first time I saw him, I was walking with my host sister. She explains his superpowers as "He's strong, and can fly, and you can eat him." Such a metal powerset.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Do we know how many episodes the anime is going to run? I wonder where they are going to pick to stop.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah this first episode was awesome and I suppose it was everything it could have been, but it's not even remotely close to being a replacement for the manga.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Am I crazy or was the first episode months ago?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It was previewed for a special event. This is the "official" start.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm not a fan of the Opening or ending but I liked the actual content. I'm noticing that's been a trend with the few anime I've been watching lately, Parasyte had the same problem. Can't wait for episode two.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The problem with the OP is that it's generic shonen as hell. Rock music and the hero beating the crap out of things.

One Punch Man is really at its best though when it's Saitama being simple face goofy, and it's like that for the most part. It undersells OPM to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can totally dig the opening. I'm a sucker for a decently catchy, sufficiently cheesy, and forcefully sung JAM Project song. Also the op creates tonal expectations for the actual show to undercut for comic effect, it's like an animated analog to those sweet-looking Murata covers.

Seriously though that song is super cheesy and I am completely down with it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I like how Saitama is super buff in the opening it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

I like how Saitama is super buff in the opening it's hilarious.

Right?