Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
When Jones comes back he will beat DC and his reign will be over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Gus is extremely good

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I can't believe I'm about to say this but bader looked good

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
*against Rashad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ahem former UFC Lightheavyweight Champion and Ultimate Fighter winner My Main Man "Sugar" Rashad Evans

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

that card was so good

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

EmmyOk posted:

Really disappointed Gus didn't win but I thought he acquitted himself very well. Considering this wasn't a murder in front of all his countrymen hopefully he won't talk about retiring and will be eager to get back. He's only 28 so super excited for the rest of his career, amazing how good his wrestling is.

Dude ran a mile in 25 minutes. I don't really call that acquitting himself well but it was a fun fight.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

niethan posted:

here let me use my autism to make my case

'sage' , to this post. :D

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
The 25 minute mile

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

That's just how he fights, he did damage and didn't quit, and acquired himself well with dc on top

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The backstage interviews were kind of funny. Guaranteeing another pause in momentum if they fight, Rose half heartedly called out "that pretty girl Paige." DC was interviewed while hobbling around on his broken foot looking like death as everyone from the Houston Rockets stopped to congratulate him.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
At least when GSP left he had the manners to make it look like the division coincidentally almost caught up to him at the same time. Jones being a bad person agaaaaain.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

At least when GSP left he had the manners to make it look like the division coincidentally almost caught up to him at the same time. Jones being a bad person agaaaaain.

I don't get this poo poo at all. Gustafsson put a beating on Jones so severe he put him in the loving trauma ward and Jones won by the thinnest margin. He would beat DC handily again and the second Gus fight would be extremely close because styles make fights. Let's not pretend Jones has been untouchable since Gus hosed him up please.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I'm very much looking forward to the second DC/Jones fight. DC seems a lot less easy to break mentally now.

He does need to figure out a way to neutralize those knees from tall dudes though. And even he admits he needs to work on his takedown defence.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

1st AD posted:

*against Rashad

A feat only two people have ever accomplished before.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

freud mayweather posted:

A feat only two people have ever accomplished before.

Yeah, but the others who didn't were...like...Phil Davis, Sean Salmon, the shambling corpse of Chuck Liddell and the tattered ruins of Rampage's ego.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
is Rumble scheduled to fight anyone?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
His girlfriend!!!!! :D :D :D :D haha. Anyways, to reiterate. Mark Hunt is a treasure and the so called "joke" you made about him was over the god. drat. line.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
who gave you that lovely avatar?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

FishBowlRobot posted:

The backstage interviews were kind of funny. Guaranteeing another pause in momentum if they fight, Rose half heartedly called out "that pretty girl Paige." DC was interviewed while hobbling around on his broken foot looking like death as everyone from the Houston Rockets stopped to congratulate him.

DC broke his foot too? That sucks.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Skip My Posts posted:

is Rumble scheduled to fight anyone?

Ryan Bader probably just sweated his way a ticket to Rumble Johnsonville.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Nierbo posted:

When Jones comes back he will beat DC and his reign will be over

I really wish they'd make JBJ fight Rumble first before the title. I figure the DC fight will simply be history repeats.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Marching Powder posted:

I don't get this poo poo at all. Gustafsson put a beating on Jones so severe he put him in the loving trauma ward and Jones won by the thinnest margin. He would beat DC handily again and the second Gus fight would be extremely close because styles make fights. Let's not pretend Jones has been untouchable since Gus hosed him up please.
This is all true

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
yeah what I think people should take away from Cormier vs Gus is that Gus vs Jones definitely was not a fluke, Gus is a tough loving guy who is still dangerous even after the Rumble loss. I do think Cormier vs Jones 2 has a chance to be closer than the first match but Cormier's 5th round still doesn't look nearly as freaky as Jones' 5th round. So I would prefer to see Gus fight Jones again before Cormier does but eh them's the breaks.

It sucks that Gustafsson has losses to the top 3 guys in the division, but the good news is he has a lot of ranked guys left he hasn't fought yet. Gus could definitely beat Shad who is coming off of a loss and then fight the winner of Glover/Cummins or some poo poo and be right back in there for a rematch against Jones late next year.

Really Gus just needs to avoid Rumble cause that will probably be his worst matchup in the division.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah what I think people should take away from Cormier vs Gus is that Gus vs Jones definitely was not a fluke, Gus is a tough loving guy who is still dangerous even after the Rumble loss. I do think Cormier vs Jones 2 has a chance to be closer than the first match but Cormier's 5th round still doesn't look nearly as freaky as Jones' 5th round. So I would prefer to see Gus fight Jones again before Cormier does but eh them's the breaks.

It sucks that Gustafsson has losses to the top 3 guys in the division, but the good news is he has a lot of ranked guys left he hasn't fought yet. Gus could definitely beat Shad who is coming off of a loss and then fight the winner of Glover/Cummins or some poo poo and be right back in there for a rematch against Jones late next year.

Really Gus just needs to avoid Rumble cause that will probably be his worst matchup in the division.

There is no shortage of drastically flawed fighters for him to beat up, and it will be rad watching him do so. He's so strange to watch, how he looks all gangly and uncoordinated, then changes direction on a dime and punches their head off.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If the world is a just place, Rumble will lose to Bader, being forever humiliated.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i hope the guy who probably beats women gets the fame and fortune of a title shot instead of bader. that's a really confronting thing to realise about myself, but speaks volumes for my opinion of ryan bader.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I can't wait to see Bader RNC Rumble, then beat DC for the title when there's complications with Jones' return. Oh the tears will be hilarious

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

by the way i didn't watch gus / cormier live and only just caught up on it. here's some thoughts.

round 1 was vintage dc and good poo poo.

round 2 was way closer than the gdt thought it was, but a solid gus round.

round 3 was a very good round, and up until the fifth minute was a dc round, but it was competitive. definitely not the one-sided beating the gdt made out and the knee / punch combo knockdown absolutely sealed it for gus and this is not ambiguous.

round 4 opened up with gus beating the poo poo out of cormier for about a minute before cormier started throwing back. gus exposed his back while running away like a cartoon character which dc didn't use to get a body lock and gently caress him up for some reason. then gus goes back to pot shotting dc as he shambles in reminding me much more of the jones fight than the un-gassed dc, he even lands a monster body kick that made cormier regret at least one thing he did that night. i was waiting for the dc flurry that made everyone think dc won round 4 but it never came. gus won this round.

round 5 begins with gus controlling the distance and landing an awesome right straight nearly a minute in which was the first significant strike of the round. cormier responds in kind soon after. both look incredibly hosed up in the gas stakes, but dc's forward pressure starts taking over and gus just can't stand his ground, resorting to the 'running' which i thought was going to be a huge issue in this fight (according to the gdt) but it really only became significant in this round. a dc round.

in general, cormier's ringcraft has improved significantly since jones. the way he stalked gus was almost weidman-esque but he still lacked the angles to make him effective coming in against a guy who plays long as superb as the herb. in round 4 this went right out the loving window and he looked all the worse for it. gustaffson was landing those right and left shots to the body at will and if he used more of them, it could have drastically changed the complexion of the fight. it was seriously baffling me why he wasn't just throwing them all the time. they were all landing. gus's wrestling is superb. they both have the heart of warriors. everyone who predicted a dc steam-rolling in in the gdt / monthly threads should be ashamed of themselves.

if you weren't paying attention i gave 2, 3 and 4 to gus fairly unambiguously and therefor winning the fight, but i don't begrudge dc a thing. a good fight, but definitely not a classic.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 5, 2015

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I feel like DC was mostly using the same "just walk into his ranged strikes and bully him in the pocket" strategy he used against Jones, but Gus simply didn't punish DC as much as he could have for employing this type of strategy. Definitely not nearly as much as Jones did, since he beat up Cormier quite a bit before he was able to make it into the pocket and was able to exhaust him going into the later rounds. Gus landed a few clean lead straights to the head and body but didn't really use them a whole lot despite his success.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that's fair. if every time gus wanted to run, he instead smashed dc in the body with either hand or foot it would have looked exactly like the jones fight. this isn't even that far of a stretch. it was there for gus all day and i think was more of a case of gus not backing himself probably as a result of the rumble fight. which is ironic, considering it probably lead to gus getting hit more.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know what's real anymore

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i once took a huge dose of acid after being up for roughly 20 hours on large doses of ecstasy and cocaine. 1 hour in i was given some random anti-psychotic that was supposed to kill the hallucinations and put me to sleep. instead i had full blown open-eye hallucinations of anthropomorphic clams dancing with 'i'm losing my loving mind' being spoken to myself on repeat while my physical body is on the toilet making GBS threads and this is literally, literally, the most insane thing i've ever seen.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

canoshiz posted:

Ryan Bader probably just sweated his way a ticket to Rumble Johnsonville.

In the beginning of the Rashad fight Bader did that weird thing again where he leaps in to range dead straight on that got him starched by Machida. I don't see that ending up well if he does it against Rumble

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The full Holm/Rousey promo is p amazing, makes me hope they will have a fight that lives up to it.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

nature is magnificent

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
quietly appreciating how quaint the thought "man, that's a bit strange" was when Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz was announced and the weirdest thing at that point was the matchup, which has since snowballed into the actual fight, the aftermath, Nick Diaz receiving competent legal advice, strong blue dick water from Thailand, and inevitably having to explain who Nick Diaz is to my mom because of Cher

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It certainly calls for some Cher to be played during the next NSAC poo poo show on Fight Pass.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

EmmyOk posted:

The full Holm/Rousey promo is p amazing, makes me hope they will have a fight that lives up to it.

The promo spoiled the fight with the teddy bear scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
                              CHER

They say we're young and we don't know.
         We won't find out until we grow.
           ♪

NICK DIAZ

♪        Well I don't know if all that's true
              'Cause you got me
[Nick begins staring off to the side of the camera] up here like some kind of caged animal or whatever, it's like, i'm up here for this bullshit again being prodded for their amusement in their little kangaroo court with their microphones and people where i'm from don't do that poo poo, so it kind of puts me at a disadvantage having to come here, you know if we coulda done this in lodi where i know where the whole foods is and how to get around it might be different

• Locked thread