Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, Bristow passed away after Heroes. Since they had to re-cast Eggman they just decided to drop the entire voice cast and replace them with the 4Kids cast from the Sonic X dub. As you said he was the only good voice in the cast so when they decided to drop 4Kids and re-cast again, he was the only one kept on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dabir posted:

Wasn't it Deem Bristow in SA2 and Heroes? Pollock started in Shadow the Hedgehog with the rest of the 4kids cast, and they kept him on for Colours and beyond because he's just so good at it.

That's right. They're all really good, but Long John Baldry's voice is so much fun to listen to when he's playing such an angry character.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

That loving Sned posted:

Sonic 06 even managed to get Eggman wrong. You're still right though, he is the reason for most of the game's rare funny moments.

Maybe it's because the cartoon has much better voice directors than the games, but the new cast sound a lot better than when they started out in Sonic Colours.

Photorealistic Eggman was nightmarish, and his pants were frighteningly tight. This fact was pointed out to me again and again by my roommate when we played.

"Yes, I get it, Egg-bulge ell-oh-ell, now shut the gently caress up and let me... and I just flew through the roof again."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That's what you get when you put all your eggs in one tight leather basket.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://store.steampowered.com/app/329440

Sonic Lost World is coming to Steam.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I won't be getting this since I thought the game had incredibly awkward movement controls, but it's nice to see SEGA porting more games to PC, like Valkyria Chronicles.

Hopefully they'll get around to Vanquish at some point, and possibly the first Bayonetta.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I guess their exclusivity deal with Nintendo must have run out. Weird that it's on steam but not the other consoles, though maybe it's too late for last gen and not worth it to port to current gen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

How about Sonic Boom and 06 for Steam? A one-two punch of terribleness.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How about Sonic Boom and 06 for Steam? A one-two punch of terribleness.

At that point Steam would have to pay you to download them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I didn't think that much of Lost World when I played it, but I'm buying it anyway because I hate myself I guess.

I'd buy Unleashed and Colours if they'd care to release those as well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
06 for PC would mean modding. Think about the potential.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

06 for PC would mean modding. Think about the potential.

Even if they fixed every bug in Sonic 06, it would still be a poo poo game. The level design is completely unsalvageable.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Even if they fixed every bug in Sonic 06, it would still be a poo poo game. The level design is completely unsalvageable.

Yeah, I was pretty much thinking the exact opposite of that.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, I was pretty much thinking the exact opposite of that.

Goddamnit Melpronto is a wizard.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Silver's levels and gimmicks weren't totally bad; telekinesis is sweet as hell and more games need TK gimmicks. The surfing on boxes and stuff was fun as gently caress.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Silver's levels and gimmicks weren't totally bad; telekinesis is sweet as hell and more games need TK gimmicks. The surfing on boxes and stuff was fun as gently caress.

On the other hand, Silver had the worst levels in the game. Including getting lost in a jungle with no direction and you end up hitting checkpoints that are in the complete opposite direction of where you want to go, as well as the billiards puzzle.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

On the other hand, Silver had the worst levels in the game. Including getting lost in a jungle with no direction and you end up hitting checkpoints that are in the complete opposite direction of where you want to go, as well as the billiards puzzle.

The billiards puzzle really sinks of test room that they stuck in to fill a gap when they ran out of time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The jungle level in 06 is just terrible no matter who you play it with. It's a nonsense maze where there are no walls, only bottomless pits, so you can randomly circumvent parts of it without even noticing by doing weird poo poo with the physics and then you're lost forever.

Luckily the other two characters who go there can glide, so you just glide around until you find the end.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Amppelix posted:

The jungle level in 06 is just terrible no matter who you play it with. It's a nonsense maze where there are no walls, only bottomless pits, so you can randomly circumvent parts of it without even noticing by doing weird poo poo with the physics and then you're lost forever.

Luckily the other two characters who go there can glide, so you just glide around until you find the end.

I dunno, that level is one of Sonic's better levels. Absolutely terrible for everyone else though, yeah.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Billiards puzzle is hilariously bad. Me and my roommates timed ourselves on it and if took us loving 45 minutes to clear that one room

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cabbagepots posted:

corpulent fat
cum on, son

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
From Sega Europe Marketing director:

quote:

Rooke explains: “Sega has publically apologised to the fans as the quality of console games in the Sonic franchise hasn’t been acceptable over recent years. It’s been tough translating that iconic side scrolling 2D experience from the 90s into 3D but Sonic is still huge for us so the new games will be more inspired by how it played in its heyday.”

https://stevekaplanmarketing.wordpress.com/2015/10/12/sega-europes-marketing-director-on-the-transition-from-sonic-to-smartphones/

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I get the feeling that isn't the first time they've said that and Sonic 4 just makes that feeling stronger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus, Marketing Director for Sega Europe is about as distant as you can get from the people involved in game development direction as possible. At least Sega America makes stuff, I'm pretty sure Sega Europe just localises and tests. They certainly wouldn't be let near Sonic's core games, Sega Japan's pissy as gently caress about Sega America getting to do stuff as is.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 27, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

They did just fine with Colors and Generations and while Lost World wasn't brilliant, it wasn't awful either and it had potential. I dunno why they couldn't just do more in Generations format instead of feeling the need to reinvent the wheel every time and failing miserably.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Colors, Generations and Lost World were all good jumping off points. Generations and Colors were fantastic. Lost World wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either and if they had kept working on that idea they could polish it into a great new series for Sonic. I do. not. understand. why they can't stick with a good idea and try to improve upon it instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wasn't Sega going to announce some kind of new Sonic game at TGS? What came of that?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

idk where you heard that. whatever sonic team is working on we won't hear about it until spring most likely

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

sharrrk posted:

idk where you heard that. whatever sonic team is working on we won't hear about it until spring most likely

Googled "sega apology" earlier and both the first and second results suggested such a thing.

EDIT: Oh, that may not have been specific to Sonic.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I recall hearing somewhere that Sonic Team was working on something, but I couldn't tell you where I heard that from.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Googled "sega apology" earlier and both the first and second results suggested such a thing.

EDIT: Oh, that may not have been specific to Sonic.

I think it was what became the Yakuza 6 / 1 Remake announcement.

Sonic Team are definitely working on something, no doubt about it. We'll see it revealed around March - May like usual, maybe some details a little earlier according to SoA's PR guy.

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 3, 2015

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Well considering that they missed having a benchmark Sonic title for 2015 (apart from runners) it probably means they're charging up something big.

It'll probably have like 3 years of dev time by the time it's launched. That's a good thing, I'd rather they take their time and release something great than have a long deluge of lovely games.

Considering next year is also Sonic's 25th, I think it might be Generations 2.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That fucker Dr. Robuttnik just took over sonic the hedgehogs twitter...!!!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

I recall hearing somewhere that Sonic Team was working on something, but I couldn't tell you where I heard that from.

If I opened the box of a new Sonic game and there was nothing inside, it would genuinely be less disappointing than the last two games.

I'm kinda curious about the next game from the team behind Generations, mostly because if it comes out next year then it will have had a full five years of development. I wouldn't be surprised if the NX was one of the platforms, given how well Sonic games (used to) sell on Nintendo systems.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

beep by grandpa posted:

That fucker Dr. Robuttnik just took over sonic the hedgehogs twitter...!!!

The next Sonic game should just be a bunch of printouts of the Sonic the Hedgehog Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Sonic Twitter in literally the best thing to happen with the franchise in years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The best thing about the sonic twitter is that he clearly knows how poo poo sonic is now

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

The guy that does the twitter should get a rise.

also haven't seen the show in a while but this looks great.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Everything they do with Sonic now is good except the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
If I ever met a real life game genie who granted gaming related wishes, I wouldn't even think about something selfish like asking for a half life 3 release, I would quickly respond to the game genie thusly: "My wish is that no new sonic games, comics or cartoons are ever created"

• Locked thread