Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's always a HOA. Usually it's because you've got a neighborhood that has a fairly uniform look to it and then someone decides to paint their garage to look like a flag or put up a Car Dealership sized flagpole in their front yard.

The HOA pretty much always caves once it's in the news, too bad about your property values I guess.

And, amusingly enough, HOA boards are generally chock-full of the type of hateful cryptofascist coffin dodger that posts images like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's always a HOA. Usually it's because you've got a neighborhood that has a fairly uniform look to it and then someone decides to paint their garage to look like a flag or put up a Car Dealership sized flagpole in their front yard.

The HOA pretty much always caves once it's in the news, too bad about your property values I guess.
oh good point! HOAs are poo poo.

Mo_Steel posted:

Your response reminded me to lookup an old favorite:

intended, this is my go-to

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Defenestration posted:

oh good point! HOAs are poo poo.

intended, this is my go-to

Its a bit strawmanie but still makes a good point.

Also, Lincoln didn't have the best record when it came to respecting the constitution. He ignored the supreme court, suspended the writ of habus corpus, and censored free press, along with ignoring the Supreme court when it suited him.

Of course, there was a small thing going on called the American civil war at the time so... :laugh:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Mo_Steel posted:

Your response reminded me to lookup an old favorite:

Not that I have any stake in it but don't you think holding every gun owner in personally responsible for every mass shooting that happens is going a bit far?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jabarto posted:

Not that I have any stake in it but don't you think holding every gun owner in personally responsible for every mass shooting that happens is going a bit far?

Walk me through that leap, ace.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Jabarto posted:

No, gently caress them.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Considering armed black people compelled Reagan signed a bill prohibiting loaded weapons in public, seems like the best method of pursuing gun control is to have Muslims buy AR-15s and open carry whenever possible. Of course, that seems like it backfire in so many terrible shootings.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Walk me through that leap, ace.

"Your side won. The occaisonal horrific massacre is just the price the rest of us has to pay"

Not much of a leap. I don't see how this isn't holding anyone who owns a gun or opposes gun control culpable for whatever mass shootings arise.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jabarto posted:

"Your side won. The occaisonal horrific massacre is just the price the rest of us has to pay"

Not much of a leap. I don't see how this isn't holding anyone who owns a gun or opposes gun control culpable for whatever mass shootings arise.

His side wasn't 'people who shoot children' it's 'people who, when some rear end in a top hat shoots children, instantly go to 'DON'T TOUCH MY FUCKIN GUNS' instead of maybe having a talk'.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

taiyoko posted:

I don't remember seeing this idiocy posted here, or in the IOSM thread over on PYF:

Found it on my facebook.

They might be technically right that the president didn't call for gun control, but oh boy did Republicans ever get mad about gun restrictions after that shooting. I'm pretty sure literally (not figuratively) every conservative source has a post about it.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

taiyoko posted:

I don't remember seeing this idiocy posted here, or in the IOSM thread over on PYF:

Found it on my facebook.

Obama did a thing I SUPER HATE

Why didn't he DO IT SOONER?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jabarto posted:

I read it more as a knock-on effect; the intent of gun rights supporters isn't mass shootings or gun violence generally, but that's a price we deal with in society as a result. In much the same way, availability of alcohol isn't with the intent of causing more drunk driving fatalities or drunken violence, but that's one of the results.

You could even approach the subject in somewhat similar manner; one option is to restrict or ban certain types of alcohol or use of alcohol in certain places, or to better enforce laws on drunk driving, or to use technology to reduce incidents of drunk driving, or to provide increased funding to alcohol abuse rehabilitation programs / sober ride services, or to encourage responsible alcohol consumption, etc. Similarly there are many things we could do regarding firearms; we could restrict handgun availability, ban sales of firearms except by approved, registered vendors; maintain a database of firearm ownership to help track the flow of illegally obtained weapons; improve funding for firearm safety training and mental health issues to reduce accidental and suicidal gun deaths; fund studies towards getting a better understanding of domestic firearm violence as a health issue, improve poverty-related programs and make efforts to reduce gang activity to reduce firearm fatalities, etc.

Lots of those things lots of people would find reasonable. But they typically go nowhere politically because the word "gun" is toxic to most elected officials chances of being re-elected (or they're convinced that's the case), so our gun deaths are the price we pay for doing nothing.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 5, 2015

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Hey it's this old small government plan again.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Defenestration posted:

Obama did a thing I SUPER HATE

Why didn't he DO IT SOONER?

On another note, please stop posting so much from Extremely Pissed Off Right-Wingers. You're only going to become Fulcrum #2 doing that. :ohdear:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Replace "muslims" with "jews" in this bowl of M&Ms analogy. :hitler:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mo_Steel posted:

Replace "muslims" with "jews" in this bowl of M&Ms analogy. :hitler:

You could just apply this to any 'Other' group and justify your hatred. It's a bullshit analogy.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

I saw this exact example used with rape statistics on college campuses.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually heard that 10% bullshit from a fairly smart acquaintance of mine. He also pulled the "notice they're going to country with good social benefits" to which I replied "yeah, wouldn't you do the same for your family in their position?". He conceded that particular point.

Lemme tell you about a little company called Microsoft...

Jabarto posted:

Like the others have said, the comic is not going after responsible gun owners. They're aiming for the people who make anti-gun control macros like the ones in this thread. The sort of people who believe that putting any sort of restraint on guns is literally the end of America as we know it. 2nd amendment triumphs over all, statistics and proven facts be damned.

quote:

This is particularly :ironicat: because look at the "give schools guns!" reactions from the other macros posted here.

quote:

Was this the deal where the US drops trade sanctions in exchange of restricting nuclear research in Iran? Pretty heavily at that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Defenestration posted:

I don't always hope for a bad thing to happen but when it does I try to prevent it from happening.
IDIOT

The grammatical construction of this bugs me.

"I don't always hope there's a gun massacre, but when I do [hope that there's a gun massacre], I use it to push gun control"

that doesn't mean any such massacre actually occurred, only that you thought about it!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Usually my aunt is pretty quiet on Facebook but every so often she'll share something crazy.

Is 1.4 billion the White House's annual budget or something?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

borkencode posted:

At 3 per school, if we paid them (average) $30k a year in salary with no benefits it'd only cost us $8.85bn a year (as of 2012). Of course, when you add benefits, payroll taxes, HR/administrative expenses, uniforms and supplies you are talking closer to $15Bn per year. I mean sure, you could almost double NASA's budget, but this sounds like one of those common sense plans that I hear always works out so well!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Honestly, I'd be in favor of a program to put newly separated members of the military into schools for all sorts of miscellaneous ways, playing with the kids, helping out in the library, anything but giving them a gun.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'd even be fine with giving them the gun and posting them to schools if that's the only way we can get them jobs with good pay, benefits, and counseling and treatment for any PTSD or difficulties adjusting to civilian life. poo poo yeah let's do this, I mean I know it will never happen because it costs money and conservatives will fight it and say our boys would rather work for patriotism than cash and health care but still.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I personally wouldn't want ptsd veterans given guns and posted outside schools

Rick_Hunter posted:

On another note, please stop posting so much from Extremely Pissed Off Right-Wingers. You're only going to become Fulcrum #2 doing that. :ohdear:
Eh I'm not reading the articles I'm just dragging the macros to my desktop and into imgur

Defenestration fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 5, 2015

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
You'd certainly need to give them all full psychiatric screening first. The last thing you want is Private Jeff, who did two tours in Iraq, hearing a door slam and suddenly having flashbacks to Fallujah.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

borkencode posted:

Just realized: "unemployeed"

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

Just realized: "unemployeed"

unempolyeed.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I'll tell you who is getting a big boost from these mass shooting: Comedian Jim Jerffries.

I've seen his Gun Control bit posted about 30 times in the last couple days. It's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awgs0burFTk

Also this keeps popping up:

Every Mass Shooting in the US Since the 1950s Except Two Occurred in Gun Free Zones

SO signs banning guns is the problem guys. Case closed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

borkencode posted:

"Don't worry, our school is guarded by a homeless vet with untreated combat related PTSD."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

Every Mass Shooting in the US Since the 1950s Except Two Occurred in Gun Free Zones

The guys who go in and shoot up a school and then shoot themselves only target gun free zones because they're afraid of getting shot.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dirt posted:

This is such a poo poo article. No link to the actual research, and from the sounds of it, he came up with some mathematical model and that's the end of it.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

The guys who go in and shoot up a school and then shoot themselves only target gun free zones because they're afraid of getting shot.

Yet all the good guy with gun types harp on gun-free zones being shooting galleries for villains but are SO DEDICATED to "good guy" status that they wouldn't dream of going into one armed anyway.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Buzkashi posted:

Yet all the good guy with gun types harp on gun-free zones being shooting galleries for villains but are SO DEDICATED to "good guy" status that they wouldn't dream of going into one armed anyway.

These two good guys with guns were about to go in and save the day but there was a sign.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Giving guns to PTSD addled vets is a sure fire solution, just ask Chris Kyle.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I wouldn't eat a handful of Muslims either so good point I guess.

Edit: Also "You say not all Muslims are monsters" like thats some crazy claim.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

il_cornuto posted:

I wouldn't eat a handful of Muslims either so good point I guess.

Edit: Also "You say not all Muslims are monsters" like thats some crazy claim.

Also with the figures and percentages it's more like "one or two of them is poisoned and also happens to be halfway across the planet. DO YOU EAT A HANDFUL?"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
There's 1.6 billion muslims in the world. If 10% of them were terrorists, they'd make an army 160 million strong, and would have overrun Europe, China and Russia already.

So it's not so much that you'd have the option of eating a handful of M&Ms as they'd be forcing themselves down your throat until you choked to death.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SSNeoman posted:

Was this the deal where the US drops trade sanctions in exchange of restricting nuclear research in Iran? Pretty heavily at that?

Obama didn't immediately bomb them back to the Stone Age, which is basically the same as handing them a nuclear weapon.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I don't know where they get that 10%. The highest prediction of ISIS members is 200,000, which is roughly 0.01% of Muslims worldwide. Al-Qaeda has less than 100 thousand, so it is still far away from 10%.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jurgan posted:

Obama didn't immediately bomb them back to the Stone Age, which is basically the same as handing them a nuclear weapon.

Under the Obama deal, over the next decade, it's predicted that they'll be ten years closer to having a nuclear bomb