Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Whereas almost none of Cole's abilities really need his daggers, yeah. In fact, since Hidden Blades et al are based on "weapon damage" and bows usually do more damage (not DPS) than daggers of the same tier, and Cole has a habit of being fragile in melee, it is often a better idea to have Sera and Cole change weapons as soon as they can be respec'd. (Assuming, of course, that ability damage is based on the primary weapon like it is with weapon and shield; if it somehow uses both, then daggers all day I guess because bows are only ahead by as much as ten points depending on what you craft with a given set of materials.)

Two other character types I'm expecting or hoping for in DA4:
  • An example of a "folk hero" mage. Dorian says that Tevinter's history is strewn with mages born to common families or slaves that awoke to magic and rose to greatness. I think it would be nice to meet someone who is coming in to that; I suspect his family and community have expectations for him rescuing them from poverty or becoming a name to sing for ages, and then the mage ruling class doesn't care about him, so he is challenged by disillusionment that drives him to the party, because they at least have an opportunity to do something actually heroic instead of being an imperial accountant.
  • A qunari slave, because you know at least one exists. As often as the Tevinters and Qunari have been fighting, at some point a qunari has been taken into slavery. Sten was a true believer, and Bull could go either way, but both got to spend their entire lives under the Qun. I imagine someone who was captured young, who didn't get assigned to a role, so they have insight into the non-classed status of both cultures, and contrast the two, but doesn't know what they were "meant for" like Bull or Sten. Sort of an reversed version of Gatt; instead of being a slave and taken into the Qun, born to the Qun and taken into slavery. If they went back to the Qunari, would they be considered Tal-Vashoth, or Viddathari, since they didn't finish their upbringing and find a role? If they were one of those slaves Dorian believed to be happy and successful, does that muddle their loyalties?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

sudonim posted:

Sera is much better in combat if you respec her from bows to daggers. Flask of Frost is fantastic if your party has a lot of detonator abilities but it has a really short range.

I did this with Sera from pretty much the beginning, it's funny how the game doesn't expect you to do that since she keeps making references to her bow all the time in party dialogue.

Anyway, now that all the DLC is out I think I'd finally like to revisit DA:I for a "complete" playthough. Of all the three major quest DLCs, when in the plot would you suggest doing them to make the most "sense" narratively?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They even make her seem shite with daggers when she tries to throw a knife at that noble and it bounces off his chest.

exquisite tea posted:

Anyway, now that all the DLC is out I think I'd finally like to revisit DA:I for a "complete" playthough. Of all the three major quest DLCs, when in the plot would you suggest doing them to make the most "sense" narratively?

They can pretty much happen at any time (Trespasser excepted, of course), but Jaws of Hakkon is meant to be done post game (and it's hard to do before unless you overleveled the main game), while Descent can be any time. In both DLCs the Inquisitor has quips for Corypheus being dead versus alive. I'd hold off on Descent until you finish Varric's companion stuff at the very least, because the stuff the characters learn in that seem trivial compared to what they'd learn in Descent. I'd do Jaws post game because it works as a kind of "victory lap" where you learn about the legacy of the last Inquisitor, which you can think of as a parallel to the legacy you're making now that you've won. And finally Trespasser means deciding how your story ends.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 4, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

In that case I guess I'd do Descent after Orlais but before the Temple, since that section of the game is pretty anemic plotwise.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've turned on the Even Ground and Walk Softly trials for my most recent Nightmare run, and so far the deadliest thing I've faced has been the Freemen Captains. They can deflect any attacks at their front and turn quickly so as to be a pain to flank, but any enemy that shares their design can do that; most significantly, they can two shot my tanks. My inquisitor is a Champion with tier 3 armor and bonus Guard perks, and they can blow through all his Guard and 3/4s of his health with one attack. Dragons don't hit as hard as these guys.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 4, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've run into some enemy mages that were completely unkillable with those trials on. Their barriers just do not break down at all, no matter what I throw at them, and they seem to be packing instant death spells. Once they wipe my party and I reload, they're back to regular difficulty. It's weird and a little annoying, but it's better than outlevelling everything in the game by lvl 16 or so.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Did you try using Dispel/Spell Purge on their barriers?

exquisite tea posted:

I did this with Sera from pretty much the beginning, it's funny how the game doesn't expect you to do that since she keeps making references to her bow all the time in party dialogue.

I can only speak for Descent, but to me it makes sense to do it post-game (why are you mucking around in the Deep Roads when Corypheus is still a threat?).

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

ApplesandOranges posted:

Did you try using Dispel/Spell Purge on their barriers?

I did, no dice. Some of the trials do come with a warning that some enemies can act oddly with them on, I think it's just random bad luck. Thankfully it's only happened a couple times so far.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I don't know what it was, but I ran across a barrier on the corpse piles in Exalted Plains that took five solid minutes of blasting with Dorian to finally break. That can't be intended, especially when the rest when down in seconds.

I haven't met a mage with an unbreakable barrier, but I did meet a Despair demon that did. Thankfully Mark of the Rift was still an instant kill on him anyway.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Lotish posted:

If they were one of those slaves Dorian believed to be happy and successful, does that muddle their loyalties?

This is my deepest fear. That Bioware will do a Tevinter Revolution as the setting for DA4 and they'll try to make it morally gray by having slaves who are like "No, no, this is fine! I'm perfectly happy here having zero rights!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CuwiKhons posted:

This is my deepest fear. That Bioware will do a Tevinter Revolution as the setting for DA4 and they'll try to make it morally gray by having slaves who are like "No, no, this is fine! I'm perfectly happy here having zero rights!"

It's already happened. In DAO, the chief enforcer for the Tevinter slaving operations in the Alienage is a Tevinter elf who laughs in your face if you bring up that she's a slave helping enslave other elves.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lotish posted:

Two other character types I'm expecting or hoping for in DA4:
  • An example of a "folk hero" mage. Dorian says that Tevinter's history is strewn with mages born to common families or slaves that awoke to magic and rose to greatness. I think it would be nice to meet someone who is coming in to that; I suspect his family and community have expectations for him rescuing them from poverty or becoming a name to sing for ages, and then the mage ruling class doesn't care about him, so he is challenged by disillusionment that drives him to the party, because they at least have an opportunity to do something actually heroic instead of being an imperial accountant.
  • A qunari slave, because you know at least one exists. As often as the Tevinters and Qunari have been fighting, at some point a qunari has been taken into slavery. Sten was a true believer, and Bull could go either way, but both got to spend their entire lives under the Qun. I imagine someone who was captured young, who didn't get assigned to a role, so they have insight into the non-classed status of both cultures, and contrast the two, but doesn't know what they were "meant for" like Bull or Sten. Sort of an reversed version of Gatt; instead of being a slave and taken into the Qun, born to the Qun and taken into slavery. If they went back to the Qunari, would they be considered Tal-Vashoth, or Viddathari, since they didn't finish their upbringing and find a role? If they were one of those slaves Dorian believed to be happy and successful, does that muddle their loyalties?

I'm kind of scared of an adventuring accountant because it would be too perfect for them to not cast someone like David Cross to just bitch about their family but in a less subtle fantasy setting.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Bioware might not go as far as "I'm perfectly happy having no rights at all" slave, but I can see "it's better than streets" indentured servant perfectly plausible. Like Gladiator where Maximus' master earned his freedom, maybe as a companion even.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If I tell Cass to forget the Seekers, does that change her ending in Trespasser or just omit a slide?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

If I tell Cass to forget the Seekers, does that change her ending in Trespasser or just omit a slide?

It does.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GuyUpNorth posted:

Bioware might not go as far as "I'm perfectly happy having no rights at all" slave, but I can see "it's better than streets" indentured servant perfectly plausible. Like Gladiator where Maximus' master earned his freedom, maybe as a companion even.

Well besides DAO, there's also that slave that's so hosed up in DA2 that can't hack without being ordered around, so Hawke can take them in and Fenris gets all uppity about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can only speak for Descent, but to me it makes sense to do it post-game (why are you mucking around in the Deep Roads when Corypheus is still a threat?).

If Corypheus had the courtesy to wait for me collecting yak meat in the Hinterlands and resolving Josephine's family issues, then he can wait out another romp through the Deep Roads.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
"Time for my to breach the veil and obtain true godhood - wait, they want you to find 126 shards? I guess I can wait around, call me when you're ready."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Wasabi the J posted:

Well besides DAO, there's also that slave that's so hosed up in DA2 that can't hack without being ordered around, so Hawke can take them in and Fenris gets all uppity about it.

if you don't hire Orana on, she ends up working at the Blooming Rose as a prostitute :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

if you don't hire Orana on, she ends up working at the Blooming Rose as a prostitute :(

:( indeed. Poor girl.

At least the Blooming Rose seems like a pretty positive and upscale joint, being in High Town.

Could you spoil it for me, at least in broad strokes? I'm curious if it's a different but still positive outcome, unlike Cullen's outcome if you get him back on the lyrium, leading to him ending up homeless and wasted in the streets.

edit: I managed to grappling-hook my way out of the map bounds somehow.

I hooked a mage that was doing the backslide move while he was stuck in a corner. He stayed still and I went through the map. I think Hook and Tackle moved me based on the expectation of where he was going to be if the wall hadn't stopped him?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 5, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really want to play through Trespasser, and i could just load up my warrior inquisitor, but my mage has a much more interesting and complete game. Normally I've "bah spoilers!" but I'm glad I didn't read any for Descent so I'm not looking at anything about Trespasser.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think that's a pretty good idea, because some of the endings surprise you a bit, but at this point I've finished Trespasser with three characters and I'm working on at least one "perfect run." So I don't want to get to the end and realize I hosed over my girl Cassandra with a choice I made 40 to 60 hours prior.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys quick question - I recently got into console gaming for the first time since ps2 days and picked up a ps3 about a month ago. I had tried Origins before on my laptop but it wasn't running it great so I gave up. Anyway, I picked up Inquisition, played it a bit, got a bit confused(although I didn't mess with it more than a hour or so) with the gameplay/some of the story, and just wound up going back to playing Skyrim/New Vegas as I didn't want to be juggling too many games at one time.

More recently, I'm starting to get bored of Skyrim and New Vegas, enough for a break at least, but before I try jumping right back into Inquisition, I did grab Dragon Age Origins Ultima the other day. I know it probably doesn't matter that much, but would it be better to start Origins first? From what I was able to tell the little I tinkered with it on my laptop it seemed like it would be pretty fun. I was thinking I should start with that, as it seems like Origins + the stuff that comes with the Ultima edition should keep me pretty occupied for a while, but what about 2? I heard it wasn't that great, but to be honest I don't mind silly stories in games, as long as the game play is fun. Also is there still an active thread for Origins I can read through?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

All the decisions you import are handled in the Dragon Age Keep, but if you want to experience a previous game in the series, Origins is the one to go with. There are several significant characters, locations and ideas in DA:I that are introduced in that game, so when revelations happen in DA:I, they'll mean more if you have that background.

DA2 introduces a few major (some very major) characters and the conflict that opens the action in DAI, but lots of people find it a huge letdown from DA:O. If you go quickly and only play it once, its flaws may fly under your radar until you get to Act 3, at which point you can just push through to the end in, like, an hour because Act 3 is crazy short even if you do everything. There isn't an ultimate edition of DA2, so you'd have to pay full price for the DLC to get it legally, I believe, but the Legacy dlc is considered pretty good. A lot of people would recommend reading a wiki instead, but it might be more your thing to know why everyone in DA:I hates a particular mage from DA2.

Do bear in mind that the gameplay has significant differences; DA:I is more action based and better* balances classes. If you want to move quickly or powerfully in DA:O, either go dagger rogue and stealth through anything you don't want to deal with, or go mage, recruit the NPC mages, and use spell combos to destroy everything ever.

*better in my subjective opinion and that's not the same thing as ~balanced~ considering how ridiculous you can make certain specializations; everyone can get crazy good at something, though, so I'm okay with that.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 5, 2015

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone think the DLC prices are going to drop when the GOTY edition comes out?

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 5, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a reliable way to get 60fps in the conversations/cutscenes rather than being hardlocked to 30?

:pcgaming:

(ed)

Iron Tusk posted:

Oh dang I forgot about the DLC, I have literally none of it since I never got past the first act or so before getting distracted. Guess that's my excuse to not play this just yet, wait until Tuesday to see if it does indeed get cheaper :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 5, 2015

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Iron Tusk posted:

Of course not. Then people might not get the GOTY edition.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you had to pick just one, I'd play DA2 rather than Origins as a backdrop to Inquisition. The combat's more similar as compared to the Origins > Inquisition flow, and I feel like Inquisition gives you more information on the Origins characters (and what they don't give you you can mostly play it by ear), but a lot of DA2 stuff doesn't really get explained, like why we should care about Hawke.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 5, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lotish posted:

:( indeed. Poor girl.

At least the Blooming Rose seems like a pretty positive and upscale joint, being in High Town.

Could you spoil it for me, at least in broad strokes? I'm curious if it's a different but still positive outcome, unlike Cullen's outcome if you get him back on the lyrium, leading to him ending up homeless and wasted in the streets.

edit: I managed to grappling-hook my way out of the map bounds somehow.

I hooked a mage that was doing the backslide move while he was stuck in a corner. He stayed still and I went through the map. I think Hook and Tackle moved me based on the expectation of where he was going to be if the wall hadn't stopped him?

On my last playthrough, fighting the Fereldan Frostback, my game bugged out and my inquisitor got to be the first member of the Thedas Space Program.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you had to pick just one, I'd play DA2 rather than Origins as a backdrop to Inquisition. The combat's more similar as compared to the Origins > Inquisition flow, and I feel like Inquisition gives you more information on the Origins characters (and what they don't give you you can mostly play it by ear), but a lot of DA2 stuff doesn't really get explained, like why we should care about Hawke.

Origins is a better introduction to the setting in my opinion, if not many of the recent events.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Origins is a better introduction to the setting in my opinion, if not many of the recent events.

I would agree because DA2 is largely set in one place, with some small detours, while Origins ranges across an entire country and Orzammar's Deep Roads.

edit:

lol more Hook and Tackle wall breaking:

Soon as I got to the battlements of Adamant, I managed to jump through the fort to the ritual chamber, bypassing all the story triggers along the way and ending up in an empty room.

edit 2: It still triggers the cutscene that sends you into the Fade, even though I skipped all the battlements and the talk with Clarel. In fact, I'm in the Fade and it still wants me to find Clarel and clear the siege points. I think I'm now duty bound to see what kind of default it assumes I did--does it default to "the wardens in the main courtyard fought to the death?"

edit 3: yes it does. And the quest is stuck in my quest log even after finishing it. Also at the very least it breaks Blackwall's quest so he always thinks it time to go to Adamant, so he doesn't do his reveal.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 5, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lotish posted:

I would agree because DA2 is largely set in one place, with some small detours, while Origins ranges across an entire country and Orzammar's Deep Roads.

I would agree because DA2 assumes that you understand a lot about the setting to begin with. That and because it's also pretty bad, even if its combat and visuals are an improvement over Origin's Rock'em, Sock'em Robot in the magical land of Brownville.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
My introduction to the series was inquisition so I think it'll be ok skipping origins or DA2. If there's something yo u want to know and/or affect the backstory, use the wiki and the keep.

Dragon Age isn't mass effect - different player character every time, and each installment isn't heavily based on what decisions were made before.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

sudonim posted:

My introduction to the series was inquisition so I think it'll be ok skipping origins or DA2. If there's something yo u want to know and/or affect the backstory, use the wiki and the keep.

Dragon Age isn't mass effect - different player character every time, and each installment isn't heavily based on what decisions were made before.

I know they're setting up for Tevinter Agent who works for Inquisitor/infiltrates Solas's forces, and there's pretty much no chance for playing the Inquisitor again because their arm got disintegrated and they could potentially be settled down and married, but it still sucks. I liked the Inquisitor quite a bit, and it seems a bit jarring to spend a game fighting against an enemy that you have no personal relationship with - which also squanders the potential of the Solas romance. And if you're just going to be an agent for the Inquisitor and friends, doesn't that feel like a step-downward. Like, will the next game even have the empire-building aspects of Inquisition.
Although I guess it might be cool to see what they do differently. I'm hoping that you actually get to choose sides and work as a double-agent for/against Solas. And the Evanuris will probably be villains regardless of which path you take. Dorian, Cassandra, Sera, and Morrigan are probably going to return as party members, and Harding is almost definitely going to replace Varric and/or Leliana. Whoever else joins is anyone's guess, but I would like to see Aveline again since she's alive no matter what you choose.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really doubt Morrigan will ever be a party member again, but I'd like to be proven wrong. I'm confident Harding will be one though.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I don't see Cassandra coming back either, since she potentially has Divine business to oversee.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

effervescible posted:

I don't see Cassandra coming back either, since she potentially has Divine business to oversee.

Her desire to go hit things may be strong enough that she'd go anyway. Maybe step down if enough time passed.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

effervescible posted:

She could also be rebuilding the Seekers completely as far as I can tell.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Geostomp posted:

She could also be rebuilding the Seekers completely as far as I can tell.

She can actually do both if you take the right choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My game is crashing like mad in Frostback Basin. It's not an ability this time as its been happening when I'm not in combat.

• Locked thread