Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

thexerox123 posted:

Why not just do a switch-off with the hologram the exact same way you would do a switch-off with the other person?

You're assuming the hologram is very advanced. We see it take a few steps into view, then stand still, and then loop that same animation; it's clearly not going to convincingly pull off an actual chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cleretic posted:

You're assuming the hologram is very advanced. We see it take a few steps into view, then stand still, and then loop that same animation; it's clearly not going to convincingly pull off an actual chase.

It doesn't have to. Just have one runner up until the switch-off with the hologram.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Season one arcs are cool but kinda worn out with the fate of the doctor and the universe at stake.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dark_archon posted:

Loved the episode to bits. One thing stuck out like a sore thumb to me though.

The plan to trap the ghosts in the Faraday cage made no sense. Why would you need multiple people to have the ghosts follow them? Wouldn't a single person leading them to the cage be enough? It seems that the only reason the scene was written that way is to have the plan fail and ghosts split up. Which obviously they did. No sane person would brew a plan with such a glaring hole in it.
Wouldn't somebody just ask "why do we need three people instead of just single bait?"

Seemed like a very lazy way to write that scene to me.

It's a long way to run and people get tired. Trading off means you have runners fresh and ready to go every step of the way.

Plus it's just ripping off the exact same scene from Alien 3.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

That was a really good episode, can't wait for part two. I think whoever guessed that the Doctor is in the box is right. Also, pretty sure the fact that the translator had never been in the ship and seen the words on the wall was what kept him alive when he was cornered.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I laughed really hard at "hey, how's it going?" and it cutting to the ghosts chilling on/in the walls and ceiling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gordon Shumway posted:

Also, pretty sure the fact that the translator had never been in the ship and seen the words on the wall was what kept him alive when he was cornered.

That was absolutely the case, as the ghosts also disregard the Doctor and Clara until after they've been inside the ship and seen the words, at which point they become murderous.

What I'm really interested in is if the deaf lady's insistence that he stay out because it isn't safe (before they found out what was happening) is based on anything more than a sense of intuition.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Finally caught the episode earlier. Really solid overall; I can't remember the last episode that really left me feeling satisfied at the end instead of IT WAS GOOD EXCEPT FOR [X], maybe Flatline?

Also interesting that in the last two-parter the Doctor sends out his confession disk thing, then this episode (the next day as far as we know) he dies at the end. :v:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
So the translator didn't see the message written inside the ship, IIRC, so he can't be a conduit. I'm not sure if that's going to be relevant but it adds to the weirdness of the deaf leader preventing him from going inside the ship.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
This episode felt really off direction-wise, as if a veteran director stepped in, decided to do some of that new-fangled dynamic camerawork the kids are into nowadays and failed miserably. I know that's not the case, it's just what it felt like. The high-five scene and the "Clara you are way too chippy" scene were particularly flat when it came to pacing.

Also, the music felt off too, what with Gold going for a more Old-Who synth/ambient sound for the score. That's a good off, though.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

What I'm really interested in is if the deaf lady's insistence that he stay out because it isn't safe (before they found out what was happening) is based on anything more than a sense of intuition.

I want to say that she met the Doctor in the past and he told her what to do but she didn't seem to remember him when they first met in the Faraday cage or at least she pretended to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every time I rewatch it I love this moment a little more:

Her "the gently caress is he doing....? well okay let's just roll with this I guess :shrug:" reaction to his signing gibberish is just great.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I laughed a hard ugly laugh at the semaphore joke.

Also I'm 33 years old and I've never owned a scarf in my life, so I did the sensible thing and bought THE scarf*.
I am OK with this decision.

*Not to be confused with THE COAT, a registered internet trademark of DoctorWhat LLC,

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A good episode. Slightly disappointed it's a two-parter though.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Theory of an acquaintence's eight year old: If the Doctor went back in time with his shades on and became the first ghost, maybe that's why all of the other ghosts have dark eyes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JOHN HURT IS THE WAR DOCTOR FOR BIG FINISH FOR 12 EPISODES!!!!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-war-doctor

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
HOLY loving WAR DOCTOR

EDIT: under the lake was good too

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A prequel series with the Eighth Doctor too!!!!!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
HOLY loving EIGHTH DOCTOR

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I don't even care if the 10/Donna rumors were true or not now, I'm WAY more excited for this.

Big Finish posted:

In addition to The War Doctor, November 2017 also sees a prequel box set to the saga, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor — The Time War, which will follow the early stages of the Time War from the Eighth Doctor’s perspective. Paul McGann stars, alongside characters first introduced in the War Doctor box sets.

:psyboom:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ms Boods posted:

Theory of an acquaintence's eight year old: If the Doctor went back in time with his shades on and became the first ghost, maybe that's why all of the other ghosts have dark eyes.

The ghosts don't have any eyes at all, they're just big holes showing what seems to be a hollow head..... I'm kinda glad the 8-year-old missed that particular detail :ohdear:

Davros1 posted:

:vince:

Edit: Also holy poo poo an 8th Doctor prequel for the early days of the Time War, AND Jacqueline Pearce getting to basically play Servalan vs the Daleks :aaa:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 5, 2015

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
gently caress yes.

Especially re: McGann, although I'm curious about what they'll do with the War Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

gently caress YES. That's going to be so amazing!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I'm not so sure. Trying to fit around an established continuity is so limiting, and too easily slips into fanservice over anything new / imaginative.
Will wait and see.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Also holy poo poo an 8th Doctor prequel for the early days of the Time War, AND Jacqueline Pearce getting to basically play Servalan vs the Daleks :aaa:
Servalan is such a moffat character though :v:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cerv posted:

I'm not so sure. Trying to fit around an established continuity is so limiting, and too easily slips into fanservice over anything new / imaginative.
Will wait and see.

Yeah, as neat as this is for Big Finish, I think the War Doctor works better the less we know about him.

(And maybe yknow instead of spending all that money on John Hurt they could have used it to hire some good writers maybe)

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I have been avoiding this thread because I haven't seen any of S9 yet but I woke up early to drive somebody to the airport here in PST-land, and finding an email telling me this has made my 4AM Monday worth it! First the tennant + tate confirmation, now John Hurt? LIFE IS GOOD.

E: For those concerned about continunity: Who cares, JOHN HURT. (Also since they're saying 12 episodes, sounds like they might have a specific arc planned out; I'm not too concerned about them trying to fit in too much.)

surc fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 5, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

surc posted:

! First the tennant + tate confirmation, now John Hurt? LIFE IS GOOD.

Actually, the Tate/Tennant thing hasn't been confirmed yet...

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wait, what. I thought it was confirmed like 3 weeks ago :(

Now I have to hurry up and get caught up so I can read the thread and be current on news.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The more we see of the Time War the crapper it becomes (fortunately for audio fans there's no visual component AHAHAHA)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

surc posted:

Wait, what. I thought it was confirmed like 3 weeks ago :(

Now I have to hurry up and get caught up so I can read the thread and be current on news.

The article saying it would happen didn't come from Big Finish, and as far as I know they haven't commented on it, which is why it's not confirmation.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And now come with me to watch The Claws of Axos (1971), a story later spoofed very very precisely by an episode of the Gatiss-starring audio comedy programme Nebulous in 2005 in something that either was misjudging the audience badly or judging it exceptionally well

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The only thing wrong with that episode was that it took us so long to make Sealab jokes. :colbert:

EDIT - This week's, not Claws of Axos.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

"The bargain, you remember, was that if we spared you and your TARDIS you would lead us to this planet in return for the death of the Doctor"
"And the destruction of all life on Earth..."
"Of course"

The first line is clunky as hell but the read the Axon guy gives "of course" is hilarious, it's very "duh why did you even bother to mention that, idiot"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A very similar read given by Pertwee the next scene for the final line of

"Very impressive of course, much larger than my own set up"
"Your set up?"
"Yeeeerrrs"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ferguson is getting a wonderful performance out of everyone. It helps that there's lots of lines from Bumbling English Authority Figures for people to be rude about but the putdowns in this story have such venom, it's fantastic.

He also directed Seeds of Death, The Ambassadors of Death and The War Machines which have similar "god why is everyone so stupid" moments

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And now come with me to watch The Claws of Axos (1971), a story later spoofed very very precisely by an episode of the Gatiss-starring audio comedy programme Nebulous in 2005 in something that either was misjudging the audience badly or judging it exceptionally well

I can't quite work out whether or not I liked Nebulous - it's really well observed parody but I don't know that it's actually funny much of the time. Except Paul Putner's character who I loving love.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

I can't quite work out whether or not I liked Nebulous - it's really well observed parody but I don't know that it's actually funny much of the time. Except Paul Putner's character who I loving love.

You didn't name a body part so I can't make a reference :mad:

As for the series entire, it's Stunningly Mediocre

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Davros1 posted:

BF pls :shepspends:

I was thinking only the other day "Shame that Hurt is only really in one episode. Could have in a a few more I guess, but...eh...probably too expensive, and impractical - he is getting on a bit. There's always Big Finish! ...hmm...well maybe he's not interested in audios- :stonk:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sooooon.

• Locked thread