Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Kludge an SM-2 and a steam powered, clockwork AEGIS on there. Embark on a Fleet Dirigible Defense patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sir Lucius posted:

Or you could take it on an impossible Down Periscope style exercise with a rag tag crew and even have a female officer on board

Red Dawn meets McHale's Navy

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

ManMythLegend posted:

Technically it's a "special mission" job which means the folks who get selected for it have already failed to screen for "command afloat". Sometimes it pops up on the regular O4 billet list for some reason though.

Nobody cares about history and prestige. It's all about staying operational or doing a community "production" job.

Dat SWO Clock job on the SURFLANT N4 staff tho... building trackers and quad slides all day.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
That NOSC work schedule. Saturday, drill weekend, 1000? CLOSED FOR UNTIL MONDAY.

gently caress you. out here, aint gettin paid at all. Cool, was just told by my NOSC that I was apparently transferred to a different unit/nosc and i'm their problem now. Pretty sweet "hey, where the hell are you?" "out in maryland, now approve my rescheds/orders/ADT orders so i'll never have to go back to CA until next year" gonna be a great introduction.

squarerandom fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 3, 2015

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

Dat SWO Clock job on the SURFLANT N4 staff tho... building trackers and quad slides all day.

I'm so glad that this XO/CO job counts as a SWO Clock job because they all make me want to blow my brains out even more then being a SWO normally does.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm so glad that this XO/CO job counts as a SWO Clock job because they all make me want to blow my brains out even more then being a SWO normally does.

Every Sailor Every Day says I should call you and ask if everything is ok. Are you thinking about killing yourself? If the answer is yes, please go swimming in your pool of dirty SWO money until the pain subsides.

This SRB installment coming up makes the reenlistment pain a little less bad.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

What's the most authentic navy/SWO tattoo you guys seen?

Now that I'm getting ready to get out I want to get one tattoo to commemorate my service.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Howard Phillips posted:

Now that I'm getting ready to get out I want to get one tattoo to commemorate my service.

Get a SWO pin tattooed over your heart.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Well I have seen a SWO pin chest tattoo which was kind of sad but hey if you're gonna be a lifer...

Anyway, the most authentic Navy/SWO tattoo would probably be a variation on "FTN"

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Get PAPERCLIP in old English on your forearm, duh.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Saw the cock and pig a couple of times.

Though honestly you should probably just get something that reminds you of your best moments. So probably a Filipino hooker tat

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I like my squid.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

Saw the cock and pig a couple of times.

Filipino hooker tat

Dat moment when you're glad to set sea and anchor outbound whilst sweating out all the alcohol and regrets. Never looking back.

BT

Maybe get "NAVY STANDARD STOCKLESS" or something across my belly.

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 4, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Dat moment when you're glad to set sea and anchor outbound whilst sweating out all the alcohol and regrets. Never looking back.

Only regret is that you didn't drink more alcohol.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Get one of those lovely tattoos that reads FTN one way and FTW when you have people look at it upside down or some poo poo.

Edit: I have a question for something that seems kind of strange to me. We're getting a new Department Head and he's requiring everyone sign a set of rules. It's not a Pg. 13 or anything, just a bunch of random bullet points with sentences that are worded vaguely which I could see being used in a way to gently caress someone over. Is there an instruction that governs what can be/can't be written for someone to sign? It looks like it was just drafted in Word, and it's probably like this officer's own vision of a mission statement. I don't know, maybe I'm just being paranoid about poo poo, what with all the shady poo poo I've seen play out here.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 4, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Get a tattoo of a Thai girl. The trick will be that if you look at the tattoo in a certain way you'll be able to see the Adam's apple and penis.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
My LPO had a tattoo of a woman in a dress, and he ended up getting a little ball of subcutaneous fat under his skin right at her groin so it looked like she was well hung underneath the dress. He called it his Thailand tattoo.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Everyone thinks my Wrist to Elbow tattoo of a ship is for the Navy, but no the gently caress it aint. I have a tiny Star Trek Enterprise tattoo, and they were the space navy, and that's as close as I'm going to get for a Navy tattoo.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I'm not allowed to get tattoos and that excuse works great each time a pub crawl ends near a parlor. I always told myself at the end of my service I'd get an Omega Seamaster because it's the poor man's nice watch, but then I ended up never going to sea once. My navy consolation prize will be what's left of my dignity.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Not allowed?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good places in Pensacola to get one? I keep hearing that the collection of artists here suck balls and I should just wait until after.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Anita Dickinme posted:

Are there any good places in Pensacola to get one? I keep hearing that the collection of artists here suck balls and I should just wait until after.

Hula Moon
Black Sparrow

Both excellent. Talk to Gabe at Hula Moon. If he's booked up too much the other artists there are very good as well. There's also a bunch within 3 hours that are great choices but I dunno if you can drive or whatever.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

LingcodKilla posted:

Not allowed?

His mom loved him enough to teach him to not draw on himself

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

I got my squid done with Gabe at Hula Moon. 4 month waiting period and he is a bit ... Hard... But nothing a swingin' dick sailor can't handle.

Also he's very sociable and you will have a nice time.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

LingcodKilla posted:

I got my squid done with Gabe at Hula Moon. 4 month waiting period and he is a bit ... Hard... But nothing a swingin' dick sailor can't handle.

Also he's very sociable and you will have a nice time.

yeah he's very heavy handed and hurts more than other artists I've been to but he's good. 3 years on and the mermaid he did for me has tons of detail showing because I'm terrified of the sun.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

4 month waiting period

I'm not even going to be here two months. I've already classed up and we're apparently getting our orders sometime this week.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I dunno tell him some sailors from the internet said he was the best (mention squids and mermaids) and see if he can fit you in?

Be sure to have a really good idea of what you want.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Anita Dickinme posted:

I'm not even going to be here two months. I've already classed up and we're apparently getting our orders sometime this week.

Just wait. Two months is no time and wherever you are going will have similar quality. Anyone who says *place* doesn't have good tattoo artists hasn't tried to look or doesn't know what good looks like. If you were in pcola for ~4 - 6 months that's when I'd say go for it. Otherwise don't bother.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I dunno tell him some sailors from the internet said he was the best (mention squids and mermaids) and see if he can fit you in?

I'm sure this works all the time. :v:

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Just wait. Two months is no time and wherever you are going will have similar quality. Anyone who says *place* doesn't have good tattoo artists hasn't tried to look or doesn't know what good looks like. If you were in pcola for ~4 - 6 months that's when I'd say go for it. Otherwise don't bother.

Yeah, I'll do this. Thanks guys.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

I'm sure this works all the time. :v:

Yeah, I'll do this. Thanks guys.

Nah gently caress that advice. Get drunk and go right off base.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Nah gently caress that advice. Get drunk and go right off base.

Oh that skullbone tatt shop with the $25 special is the worst.

Seriously the military knows the enlisted are going to get them. Why not just have them on base like star ship troopers?

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

WATCHFLOOR: :dance: You're orders are done! We only had to do Captain to LCDR at some shitstain NOSC to convince him that you're already located here and working in rate, and the AT requirements are 100% valid.

NOSC I'm not attached to anymore: :spergin: "NAVPERS 345302523-1-John Paul Jones" states that the Reservist MUST travel back home, oh and we didn't book him a flight. i gotta cancel the orders. Oh the orders start tomorrow? Yeah, they dont.

Me: :sludgepal:

~RESERVES~

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh that skullbone tatt shop with the $25 special is the worst.

Seriously the military knows the enlisted are going to get them. Why not just have them on base like star ship troopers?

The on base sewing place has been known to put things on upside down or backwards.

Somehow an on base tattoo joint would manage an amputation

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

squarerandom posted:

WATCHFLOOR: :dance: You're orders are done! We only had to do Captain to LCDR at some shitstain NOSC to convince him that you're already located here and working in rate, and the AT requirements are 100% valid.

NOSC I'm not attached to anymore: :spergin: "NAVPERS 345302523-1-John Paul Jones" states that the Reservist MUST travel back home, oh and we didn't book him a flight. i gotta cancel the orders. Oh the orders start tomorrow? Yeah, they dont.

~RESERVES~

Hoohah shipmatey

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

squarerandom posted:

~RESERVES~

I don't know what any of this or your smiley mean but since its related to the navy I imagine it describes you getting hosed somehow. Bravo Zulu

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I don't know what any of this or your smiley mean but since its related to the navy I imagine it describes you getting hosed somehow. Bravo Zulu

Basically, unless you are on back-to-back orders without a gap in service, you are required to start your travel to your duty station from your Permanent Mailing Address (Your Home). That is due to ~*reasons*~, e.g., benefits, laws, etc.

I have yet to find anyone at a NOSC that isn't super disgruntled about being an Full-Time Support (FTS) Sailor assigned to assist Reservists and who's only job is to do that. Also, since most of them have never left the bosom of the Navy, they don't understand anything about reservists even though that's their customers.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Nick Soapdish posted:

Basically, unless you are on back-to-back orders without a gap in service, you are required to start your travel to your duty station from your Permanent Mailing Address (Your Home). That is due to ~*reasons*~, e.g., benefits, laws, etc.

I have yet to find anyone at a NOSC that isn't super disgruntled about being an Full-Time Support (FTS) Sailor assigned to assist Reservists and who's only job is to do that. Also, since most of them have never left the bosom of the Navy, they don't understand anything about reservists even though that's their customers.

This.

The PS's and YN's who are working in RESPAY and ADMIN really loving hate actually doing their job, so do a bunch of run around business with everyone. Then when it seems resolves, pull out some BS NAVPERS rule to halt every thing in motion. Also, it doesn't help that Active to Reserve communication and understandings of each operate is WIIIIILDY fuckin missing at the shore level.

This is is a two way street, such as the Reservist Officer who was active air who went reserves, thinks that our Active Duty Chiefs have access to Reserve programs/sites/programs, and the Active Admin who have no way or knowledge on how to route/who to route it to.

It's a weird fuckin thing man.

But tomorrow i'm supposedly going to hear three big updates on; short term current orders (with backpay), year long orders, and a PCS move (DTTY move possibility). So yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Raise your hand if you're surprised. I know some of you are formerly Japan based STs, didn't one of you work for him??
http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/10/05/destroyer-murphys-cmc-fired-during-misconduct-probe-adrian-mccown/73402122/

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, but what's the dirt? I want to know what these guys keep doing specificly that's getting them fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

It's these god drat fluff bunnies making MY Navy softer :chiefsay:

• Locked thread