Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MF_James posted:

Not a work ticket, but I took a day off yesterday to relax, had the house (apartment) to myself as my GF was working 9-4 and then going to her mom's. I get a text at 4:30, her mom's house had the backdoor kicked in and a bunch of poo poo stolen between 8 and 4. gently caress whatever loving oval office did this poo poo.

I'd make a backdoor joke, but that seriously loving sucks. Thievery loving sucks. Hopefully they can catch whoever did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

I promise you if I move across the country for a job and I end up having to replace paper towels, I'm setting the loving roll on fire, making GBS threads on the floor, and jumping off the roof.

What's the ICD10 code for this?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MF_James posted:

Not a work ticket, but I took a day off yesterday to relax, had the house (apartment) to myself as my GF was working 9-4 and then going to her mom's. I get a text at 4:30, her mom's house had the backdoor kicked in and a bunch of poo poo stolen between 8 and 4. gently caress whatever loving oval office did this poo poo.

Someone kicked in one of my windows a few years back a decade ago (gently caress I'm getting old).

They stole my X-box and a bag of tyson fried chicken. I guess they were hungry.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Solution, get large angry barking dogs. I have 2, I pity the fool...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gerdalti posted:

Solution, get large angry barking dogs. I have 2, I pity the fool...

That would be nice, but she's deathly allergic to animals :(

I'm going to get her some poo poo to reinforce the back door when they install a new one and rebuild the frame, the front door is already a giant fuckoff reinforced door, hopefully that solves the problem... unless they break the window next time.

The lovely thing is, it's likely one of her neighbors, and the other neighbors (who are nosey fucks that are home ALL DAY) say they didn't see/hear anything which is bullshit.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MF_James posted:

That would be nice, but she's deathly allergic to animals :(

I'm going to get her some poo poo to reinforce the back door when they install a new one and rebuild the frame, the front door is already a giant fuckoff reinforced door, hopefully that solves the problem... unless they break the window next time.

The lovely thing is, it's likely one of her neighbors, and the other neighbors (who are nosey fucks that are home ALL DAY) say they didn't see/hear anything which is bullshit.

Install some cheap cameras and route them to a NAS someplace, preferably have that backing up to Amazon Glacier. I think Synology directly supports cameras so it shouldn't be too horrible to get setup and user friendly.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

Install some cheap cameras and route them to a NAS someplace, preferably have that backing up to Amazon Glacier. I think Synology directly supports cameras so it shouldn't be too horrible to get setup and user friendly.

Anyone have any recommendations for security cameras?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MF_James posted:

I think ubiquiti has relatively decent cameras, but I've only heard it through the grapevine.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MF_James posted:

We use a combination of Night Owls and Q-Sees. They loving suck.

I think Synology offers their own cameras with their NAS units.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you want to know what not to buy, ask larchesdanrew what his shop uses.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GreenNight posted:

If you want to know what not to buy, ask larchesdanrew what his shop uses.

Retired Iphone 3's glued to the walls. With the data connection cables dangling down.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Retired Iphone 3's glued to the walls. With the data connection cables dangling down.

gently caress you, we managed to budget 3Gs and we use Gorilla Tape.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
They're all set on facetime to a second grid of iphones arranged in front of a camcorder

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They're all set on facetime to a second grid of iphones arranged in front of a camcorder

Haha we can't even manage something that lovely because WE DON'T HAVE WIFI

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Can we create a unified code system for IT tickets?

F19.255L : computer reported as slow, sequela

G40.5XD: computer infected by spam email link, subsequent

LA404.X: supervisor says changes to print server shouldn't affect printing

The ID-10T code?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Haha we can't even manage something that lovely because WE DON'T HAVE WIFI

Just buy a $20 access point, it'll work fine.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Buy? No no no, we've got one that been banging around in the back of the engineering truck for 6 months. That'll work fine.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

larchesdanrew posted:

We use a combination of Night Owls and Q-Sees. They loving suck.

I think Synology offers their own cameras with their NAS units.

Bah, we've got some old Minolta betamax camcorders back in the shop, and we can put everything onto this Buffalo NAS...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

Buy? No no no, we've got one that been banging around in the back of the engineering truck for 6 months. That'll work fine.

My last job one of the guys forgot he had 3 procurve switches in his trunk for six months. No idea how no one noticed they were missing.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gerdalti posted:

I think ubiquiti has relatively decent cameras, but I've only heard it through the grapevine.

Locate my first post in this thread and you find...

FireSight posted:

Oh god, only now do I discover this thread exists. So...

I used to be one of the 3 dudes doing tech support for Ubiquiti (I think there are 5 or 6 now), and also doing all the RMA intake and sorting. You have NO CLUE how many complaints we had over the airvision software, because of the lovely planning behind it. The software used to outright loose video because the software and firmware didn't interface properly. We had dozens of complaints from IT/security guys trying to find specific sections of video for theft investigations, and it just wasn't THERE. And we had to constantly make excuses, knowing full well that it wasn't a functional product, because instead of holding off on selling the drat thing and making apollogies and waiting for a fixed version, they just wrote it off and started working on a completely different design with a dedicated NVR machine instead of a NVR that could be installed on an existing computer.

As a note, unless they made any MAJOR changes to the NVR software that runs on a PC in the past 18 months, if you are running it on a PC, get rid of the entire loving system. Now. The legal headaches that will occur if it's used in a business and you suddenly NEED footage is just... argh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Axis cameras are good. Not cheap though.

You could play Chinese-brand-of-the-week roulette but personally I value my time.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Even just the cameras that hunters use could be useful(only record when they detect movement I think). When we had people(pretty sure we know who) breaking into our yard regularly stealing animals(rabbits and chickens) that was the suggestion people gave me.

Instead I just chained every single gate into the yard, with the exception of the one we use, which is the least convenient one for someone trying to get into our yard and they may not even know it exists, with the heaviest bike chains I could get, and was really tempted to put a "Keep the gently caress out of our yard rear end in a top hat" sign on the ones I locked.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

larchesdanrew posted:

No, and I'm sort of glad. It prompted me to look elsewhere. Did you know I'm fully qualified to be a Jr sysadmin and that literally any other state is paying 4x what I'm making to do the work? I've found a saturation of them in Raleigh and real estate is cheap as balls. Now to convince my wife to move so I can finally be loving happy with my miserable life.

If you need any tips about Raleigh let me know. Most jobs here are only DevOPs roles and require 5 years of openstack (:psyduck:). I can help if you apply to state government.

Edit: also no idea where you are seeing cheap housing but i can tell you places to avoid.

alg fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 2, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

MF_James posted:

I recently asked KillHour (The security guy that used to have a thread in A/T) and he sent me this:

quote:

I've never used Ubiquiti's cameras, but from what I've heard they have the same problem as every other piece of Ubiquiti equipment - the software/firmware was half baked when it came out and features are missing or broken. It might be better now, I don't honestly know.

IP cameras are in a race to the bottom for price, so you shouldn't have a problem finding decent hardware. You can get even an entry level Axis camera (M3004-V) for ~$200 street price now. I'd say avoid Ubiquiti if only because they lock you into their software, which has always been their weak point.

I left the NVR part off, something about a computer with a lot of hard drives, I'd probably just do a NAS or something.

I think he uses even higher end stuff, his old thread always talked about $1k+ cameras being low end.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

MF_James posted:

Our security guy loves Costar's CDIH109. They sell cheap emedded NVR boxes too

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Nemo2342 posted:

What's the ICD10 code for this?

W13.2XXS

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

iajanus posted:

So just lie and do it during work hours and hope nobody realises?

flosofl posted:

That's probably not the best plan if there's any kind of logging going on.

It turned out they had no idea how ticketing systems or timezones work.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Telling Larch to buy something for his shop? You must be new here.

:)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are there any CrashPlan/Backblaze-style services that can recognize when they are on a tethered 4G connection (do a reverse DNS lookup or whatever) and suspend the backups? I'm keen to roll out endpoint backup for our laptop users but understandably the guy who would be signing it off doesn't want it to cost thousands in excess data charges.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Got a great new voicemail from one of our outstanding email customers for your listening pleasure:
http://tindeck.com/listen/fwtob

Also, yesterday a guy calls in and says he wants to upgrade his site-to-site wireless equipment. One of us looks at his throughput and while he's got 6Mbps provisioned, he had just barely cracked 10k outbound the day before he called us up and his inbound is at like 2k. We brought that to his attention

networking guy posted:

I have looked over your wireless connection and I see based on the attached graph that you are not using anywhere close to the 6Mb provisioned. I am not sure if you are having speed issues or if you were just interested in increasing the bandwidth but it looks like you are not maxing your connection. Please let me know if you need further assistance with this request.
and he got upset

rear end in a top hat customer posted:

Not sure in what universe this is an appropriate answer. I asked what the options are for more bandwidth, and your response is "you don't need it"?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Axis also has or used to have pin-hole cameras that you can use with a POE box that will also save to that box.
Might be a good choice since it will reduce the risk of whatever thieves seeing a camera and then ripping it off the wall and tracing the cable to recording device since they won't even spot the camera most likely.
You can put the POE box in like a crawlspace or somewhere and plug in a memory card in it, since most likely you don't need much footage anyway. The axis software was also pretty easy to work with, calibrating how much movement should activate recording is kind of a pain though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Merijn posted:

A ticket came in from my manager...

:v: thing is broken, please fix it ASAP
:confused: coworker made this, better let him do it
:v: coworker is busy fulltime on other thing with a hard deadline, he can't. you gotta do it. plus, now you'll know how it works! :haw:
:confused: I don't even know where the code for thing is, let alone understand it, find the bug, or fix it.

This coworker never documents *anything*. And this is apparently taking precedence over the really really important project I was already assigned to. :suicide:

git bisect is the way to fix this (if it has ever worked before), but I'm terrified to ask whether this is in version control at all.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

git bisect is the way to fix this (if it has ever worked before), but I'm terrified to ask whether this is in version control at all.

Also assuming the thing that broke was in the code, and assuming the code in version control relates in any way to what is actually running.

We have a standalone internal webservice that sometimes starts responding very slowly. The cause is it making a blocking call to a bunch of servers that it needs data from; that server list and the change needed to fix it are purely configuration and persisted to the database. Digging through the code would be an exercise in red herrings.

Luckily, that server list changes incredibly infrequently, and the service itself is slated for replacement with something else Real Soon Now.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Minimum password age: 3 days
Maximum password age: 3 days

"I'm not sure why it's requiring you to change your password this quickly. Let me look into it and get back to you.": 3 days

lolled irl a few pages ago

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Storysmith posted:

Also assuming the thing that broke was in the code, and assuming the code in version control relates in any way to what is actually running.

We have a standalone internal webservice that sometimes starts responding very slowly. The cause is it making a blocking call to a bunch of servers that it needs data from; that server list and the change needed to fix it are purely configuration and persisted to the database. Digging through the code would be an exercise in red herrings.

Luckily, that server list changes incredibly infrequently, and the service itself is slated for replacement with something else Real Soon Now.

Thanks, now I'm having flashbacks to my previous job where everything was just done on the fly in production and everything would blow up sometimes.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
nevermind.

Emushka fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 5, 2015

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

anthonypants posted:

Got a great new voicemail from one of our outstanding email customers for your listening pleasure:
http://tindeck.com/listen/fwtob

"Hi, Mr. Locksmith. You helped me yesterday get into my car but I didn't realize I would need to remember my car key to get back into it."

Edit: Is there a smilie for "car analogy" at this point? If not here needs to be.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lightning Jim posted:

Edit: Is there a smilie for "car analogy" at this point? If not here needs to be.
:iiaca:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We use svn but yeah. Turns out the error was some bizarre timing issue with an external system not responding fast enough in production, but the whole thing just working fine in our test environment. I'd probably have cludged together the same solution as my coworker did, but he did it a lot faster since it was his code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Figured as much. Tahnks, Flipper. I always seem to have trouble finding one in that huge mess of a page.

• Locked thread