Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

With an SSD and a UEFI/Fast Boot enabled chipset reboots aren't much of a thought anymore.

Who reboots anymore unless they have to? I go weeks/months without rebooting.

*checks uptime*
Yep, 25 days since last reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Potato Alley posted:

I actually have had no real complaints with 8.1 for the past year and a half or so. Even without Classic Shell (though I do set the default Metro view to All Apps), I don't actually have to use Metro, I just hit the Windows key, type the name of the program, and hit Enter to launch. The only real issue is accidentally launching a Metro app, but if you install various apps that set defaults for common file types (like Office & a PDF editor) that's really not a problem. And it's a LOT faster than 7 to boot / shut down (and frankly, feels somewhat faster in use as well).

You'll be pleased to know that windows 10 hosed this up - I had gotten to love this windows 8.1 behaviour too, but after upgrading to 10 the start panel is laggy enough that I'll type win- nav and end up searching for nav instead of loading navicat.

Also if you type win-cmd it's about a 50-50 whether your shell opens in your user folder or c:\windows\system32 depending purely on how fast you type compared to how fast the start menu loads.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pissing me off: Wineskin is completely broken in OSX El Capitan.

I have half a dozen Windows-only apps I've wrapped up in Wineskins so I can use them on my MBP. And now none of them work. :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Johnny Aztec posted:

So did I with 7

10 has been somewhat less cooperative for me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xiw posted:

You'll be pleased to know that windows 10 hosed this up - I had gotten to love this windows 8.1 behaviour too, but after upgrading to 10 the start panel is laggy enough that I'll type win- nav and end up searching for nav instead of loading navicat.

Also if you type win-cmd it's about a 50-50 whether your shell opens in your user folder or c:\windows\system32 depending purely on how fast you type compared to how fast the start menu loads.
It would be amazing if Windows could learn to, somehow, remember when you type "cmd" that it should bring up the Command Prompt as a result immediately, without having to search for it. If I type "update" and always click on the Windows Update link, it shouldn't prioritize the Java updater in the list of results. Internet searching in Windows 10 from that prompt is even worse than that, and Windows app store searching is such a fantastically horrific idea I just don't know how to describe it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Settings & Control Panel split, why some things are now in one place, some in the other, some in both, who thought that was a good idea, and how the whole clusterfuck ever made it to release.

Also the fact that you can't click your mouse on the lock screen to make the image go away and show the login screen has confounded so many users but at least I haven't received any phone calls about it yet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

everyone posted:

Windows 10 woes
Never install a new Microsoft OS before the first service pack has been released. This has been true since Windows 2000.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Oh cool I found out why no one's ever run decent reports from our ticketing system:

quote:

Timeout warning
For very large reports containing thousands of Issues, the processing of the report may take longer than the web server or web browser allow. If this happens, the server or browser will display an error message and stop the report generation. If your report is this large, you'll have to dump the data straight from the database on the server machine.

gently caress you, Footprints.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Because taking the request for the report, queuing it up and then sending a notification when it's done is hard :qq:

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Oh cool I found out why no one's ever run decent reports from our ticketing system:

gently caress you, Footprints.

How many tickets do you have that you're crossing the 15 minute threshold? Daaaamn.

Like, that's a terrible design, don't get me wrong, but browsers and web servers can be set to give you a hilariously large amount of leeway there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Storysmith posted:

How many tickets do you have that you're crossing the 15 minute threshold? Daaaamn.

Like, that's a terrible design, don't get me wrong, but browsers and web servers can be set to give you a hilariously large amount of leeway there.
It said it was going to return around 45k results, but the warning said "very large reports containing thousands of Issues" so I didn't even bother mashing Go and just closed the tab.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Look, just loving tell me once and for all, which version of Java do I need to connect to loving EMC Unisphere? The next time I see this "Java is required for this application to run. Minimum JRE Version: 1.6" pop up, I am going to unplug the SAN. Just, someone link me a loving executable that you know can connect to EMC SANs. I've lost all respect for that company over nothing more than this.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
If you're lucky, they're using jnlp, and you can just look at the page source (it'll be a JavaScript function) to see what they're checking for.

If you're unlucky and they did it in the drat applet (which would run, check, then yell at you even though it's running), you'd need to download and decompile the applet.

It's probably jnlp, and it's probably Java's "can't run older jres if you have a newer one installed" problem

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Look, just loving tell me once and for all, which version of Java do I need to connect to loving EMC Unisphere? The next time I see this "Java is required for this application to run. Minimum JRE Version: 1.6" pop up, I am going to unplug the SAN. Just, someone link me a loving executable that you know can connect to EMC SANs. I've lost all respect for that company over nothing more than this.

I deal with this as well as ADP's bullshit timesheet website that requires a hilariously out of date version of Java. As far as EMC shenanigans go, you haven't seen the worst of their bullshit until you've experienced Avamar.

Bonus points: the ADP webportal will autodetect Java presence and, if it's missing, install Java 1.6 for you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

I deal with this as well as ADP's bullshit timesheet website that requires a hilariously out of date version of Java. As far as EMC shenanigans go, you haven't seen the worst of their bullshit until you've experienced Avamar.

Bonus points: the ADP webportal will autodetect Java presence and, if it's missing, install Java 1.6 for you.

thank Christ atleast Kronos lets us update usable Java versions

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Just run Java 1.7u40+ if its a VNX/VNX2 thats been a version thats worked for me on a lot of deployments. Its not really the java version that's the issue, more so its the java settings and browser settings. If you have naviseccli installed too, make sure thats set to low on its settings.

Be grateful its not navisphere anymore. I have from a good source EMC will phase out Java sooner rather than later and go to html5. I think they're waiting for the VNX3 releases to push it across.

Cisco ASA's Java versions are what really made me mad. And Kronos. Kronos can suck my cock. My wife who works in telecom had their internal IT group pushing a java update which broke everyones Kronos. Good job testing team!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Johnny Aztec posted:

*checks uptime*
Yep, 25 days since last reboot.

My computer's in my bedroom and it's not dark/quiet, so I still shut down my PC every night like some kind of idiot 90s plebe.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's not work-related, but it is computer-related and seriously pissing me off: Windows Update.

Trying to set up a new machine with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Install from USB, goes fine. Windows update updates itself. Reboot. Install updates. Reboot. Install SP1. Reboot. Update windows update again. Reboot. And now windows update is loving broken, hanging at "checking for updates" forever.

Tried pre-downloading SP1 and the latest version of WU and installing those from the downloaded files immediately after installing windows. Same thing. Microsoft has a bunch of different KB articles purporting to fix this, including two different automated fix tools, System Update Readiness Tool, and manual instructions for "resetting" windows update, all of which I have tried without success. I am now downloading a W7 SP1 ISO in the hopes that my plain W7 key still works with it and that maybe having SP1 installed from the beginning means it won't break horribly.

I was planning to spend the morning installing and updating windows and be gaming again by noon, instead this has eaten up half my loving weekend and I still don't have a working windows desktop. gently caress.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I've been helping a friend at his church get a wireless network going, and for the most part it works pretty well. Especially for as old as the building is. But I've run into a problem where in some rooms, wireless just doesn't happen. I didn't have an answer beyond guessing that its something in the walls, some of the walls are really thick and we aren't really sure what some of the walls are made of. This morning I was helping to run some cable to get a room that its in a deadzone going, and when we drilled through the wall, we found its lathe and plaster, which means inside some of the walls is a wire mesh.
I was thinking wireless extenders in some spots, but there aren't enough outlets in some areas to use them. I was tempted to look at those powerline adapters, but I'm not positive I'd get a decent connection with those.
Old buildings really suck for wireless.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

CitizenKain posted:

I've been helping a friend at his church get a wireless network going, and for the most part it works pretty well. Especially for as old as the building is. But I've run into a problem where in some rooms, wireless just doesn't happen. I didn't have an answer beyond guessing that its something in the walls, some of the walls are really thick and we aren't really sure what some of the walls are made of. This morning I was helping to run some cable to get a room that its in a deadzone going, and when we drilled through the wall, we found its lathe and plaster, which means inside some of the walls is a wire mesh.
I was thinking wireless extenders in some spots, but there aren't enough outlets in some areas to use them. I was tempted to look at those powerline adapters, but I'm not positive I'd get a decent connection with those.
Old buildings really suck for wireless.

Yeah, lathe-and-plaster is wonderfully solid, but horrible for wireless - my house is L&P and unless you have line-of-sight from the router, you're screwed. I went with powerline adapters for the HTPC in my bedroom and they work okay, even with the old wiring, but they won't run at anywhere near their rated speed.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

ToxicFrog posted:

It's not work-related, but it is computer-related and seriously pissing me off: Windows Update.

Trying to set up a new machine with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Install from USB, goes fine. Windows update updates itself. Reboot. Install updates. Reboot. Install SP1. Reboot. Update windows update again. Reboot. And now windows update is loving broken, hanging at "checking for updates" forever.

Tried pre-downloading SP1 and the latest version of WU and installing those from the downloaded files immediately after installing windows. Same thing. Microsoft has a bunch of different KB articles purporting to fix this, including two different automated fix tools, System Update Readiness Tool, and manual instructions for "resetting" windows update, all of which I have tried without success. I am now downloading a W7 SP1 ISO in the hopes that my plain W7 key still works with it and that maybe having SP1 installed from the beginning means it won't break horribly.

I was planning to spend the morning installing and updating windows and be gaming again by noon, instead this has eaten up half my loving weekend and I still don't have a working windows desktop. gently caress.

I experienced this somewhat recently when I built a few VMs for Application development/deployment testing.

Something recent with Win 7 updates (on a fresh build) is causing the "Check Updates" step to present a false positive while the GUI does its thing. I left it running all day and the "Check Updates..." run bar was still rolling, but the system was waiting on a restart to install 120+ updates. I've been building both Win 7 and Win 8.1 VMs lately and I've only seen the issue on the former.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Not pissing me off: Nginx.

I managed to get a web server hanging out between a group project's github.io page and the Public Internet with a valid external SSL cert in an afternoon, and part of that was waiting for the DNS validation change to propagate. Gets an A+ from ssllabs, nginx config is in a (local) git repo so I can see its history, and things Work.

Pissing me off: TLS and PKI in general.

The fact that I'm the only person in this group who's done this poo poo before recently enough that the knowledge isn't out-of-date and likely to lead to a misconfiguration or straight-up exploitation of the server. The incorrect howtos out there about openssl and nginx configurations, cargo-culted along by people because it sorta works-ish, the scars acquired in learning what to do, how to generate SSL certs with SANs, where to put them, all that jazz.

Egads, Let's Encrypt can't come soon enough.

I will never again shame someone who says "I'd have an SSL certificate for my site, but it's too hard to set up." There is a very real usability gap here.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Things pissing me off: our storage architecture and the people responsible for it.

Our virtualization / application stacks sit on top of a single filer. The death / misconfiguration of a single filer can interrupt our productivity massively.

"But is has two controllers! And it snapmirrors offsite!" I've watched the lead of the storage system misconfigure it in real-time before, and snapmirrors of 1TB take an excess of seven days to go offsite and, presumably, thus come back.

We have an opportunity right now to trash the old one, get a substantial fraction of our money back, and go to something clustered / better tiered. Nope, they're doubling down on the single point of failure model.

We can't even test backups without taking down a production system.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Pissing you off: people who rely on howtos from idiots blogging instead of docs.

The nginx docs are super clear. Pretty much every CA has amazingly clear instructions for Windows and openssl. This poo poo isn't mod_authz_ldap or mod_authnz_ldap (or whatever horrible, barely documented bits apache uses now for ad auth now). There's no reason an admin who can tub two brain cells together can't get ssl working in an afternoon in 2015

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

evol262 posted:

Pissing you off: people who rely on howtos from idiots blogging instead of docs.

The nginx docs are super clear. Pretty much every CA has amazingly clear instructions for Windows and openssl. This poo poo isn't mod_authz_ldap or mod_authnz_ldap (or whatever horrible, barely documented bits apache uses now for ad auth now). There's no reason an admin who can tub two brain cells together can't get ssl working in an afternoon in 2015

I think his complaint is more that no one's turned it into an easy "me want certificate, me press butan get certificate" process, or at least if they have it's not very common. I mean for the vast majority of certs all they are for is server auth for one name. There's no need to know how to manage cert templates, know the ins and outs of PKI cryptography, etc. Even the key generation process, as easy as it may be (and you're damned right every time I do it on Linux I have to look up the openssl switches because I'm not doing it day in day out), is still a separate process in most cases. It's not that it's not well-documented, it's that it's seemingly unnecessarily full of steps when most of the time the flexibility afforded by those steps is pretty unnecessary and a button that generated a nice 4096 bit key and requested a cert for the FQDN of the server it's running on and then automatically installed the key into whatever keystore and enabled the webserver to use that cert would be fantastic. Integration with the major CAs such that the request/download cert process became automatic and it just asks you for a signin to your account at the CA (and sure you'd probably want an approval step out of band with the CA phoning you or emailing to confirm you requested it and confirm payment) would be even better.

I can't speak very much to the Linux side having only done basic certs setup with Apache, but even in IIS where Microsoft has done a decent job trying to make it easy, it's still a bunch of steps, and most of them just feel clunky and unneeded. It's all very manual, and these days admin time is more and more valuable. Everything else has an Express and Custom mode, why doesn't this?

Actually it looks like my favorite CA DigiCert has a REST API for making requests, which is both awesome and, knowing them, unsurprising. But are there any common cert generation programs that build this in, as opposed to someone having to program something for it? (I'm actually asking, I don't know). Because if it's developer time, then it's basically only applicable to enterprises large enough to need so many certs that managing them manually is more cost than having a developer write a program to integrate, and that rules out most of the small businesses who would most benefit from reducing admin time managing certs.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Pissing me off right now:

<Network guy in HK>: Just heard back from the provider for our MLPS. The submarine cable is broken..... repair is in progress.

We've got a bunch of stuff that needs decent connectivity between Beijing and Montreal (not how I'd have architected it, but whatever), and it's all breaking in very interesting ways :D

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I experienced this somewhat recently when I built a few VMs for Application development/deployment testing.

Something recent with Win 7 updates (on a fresh build) is causing the "Check Updates" step to present a false positive while the GUI does its thing. I left it running all day and the "Check Updates..." run bar was still rolling, but the system was waiting on a restart to install 120+ updates. I've been building both Win 7 and Win 8.1 VMs lately and I've only seen the issue on the former.

As in, if you set it to "automatically download and install updates", it'll appear to hang forever on "checking for updates", but is actually installing them in the background and they'll be there when you reboot?

Meaning all I needed to do was leave it sitting there for a few hours while I did something else and then reboot?

:suicide:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

My dad had the same issue and after googling found out that having a USB drive connected could xause this issue, so he unplugged it which did the trick.

My dad is pretty good with computers, he's knows how to troubleshoot problems and stuff and at least checks with me most of the time if he's uncertain or something seema fishy. Still, sometimes he fucks up in hilariously mundane ways.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some times it's just weird issues that leave even the best stumped though. I've ran into the "computer takes forever to boot when a USB disk is connected" issue myself.

When I got a new display I ran into an issue where my computer would turn on, but then turn itself off five seconds later. After that it would refuse to turn on until I had pulled the power cable. If I disconnected the display and connected it after booting everything was fine.

I eventually found the culprit: The included DP cable had all pins connected 1-to-1. There's a power supply pin in DP connector that is used by active DP adapters or for powering MyDP devices, but should be unconnected in a straight DP-to-DP cable. The graphics card detected this invalid power input on boot and forced the computer to shut down.

That one took me a while to figure out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Taeke posted:

My dad had the same issue and after googling found out that having a USB drive connected could xause this issue, so he unplugged it which did the trick.

My dad is pretty good with computers, he's knows how to troubleshoot problems and stuff and at least checks with me most of the time if he's uncertain or something seema fishy. Still, sometimes he fucks up in hilariously mundane ways.

I'm pretty sure I tried it at one point with no USB storage connected, but I'll double check when I get home. There's been a lot of USB key shuffling because I use it for the initial windows install and to get the network drivers installed.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Fix It posted:

Pissing me off right now:

<Network guy in HK>: Just heard back from the provider for our MLPS. The submarine cable is broken..... repair is in progress.

We've got a bunch of stuff that needs decent connectivity between Beijing and Montreal (not how I'd have architected it, but whatever), and it's all breaking in very interesting ways :D

Once you go global poo poo like this will ruin your day more often than you want.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

OSX: Update once or twice and you are updated.
Linux: yum update/dnf update/apt-get update and you are updated.

Windows: Go through 20 downloads, 300 updates, 10 reboots, 2 service packs.

It's a goddamn disgrace and what's worse is they STILL haven't fixed it in windows 10.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Uh, they did fix it in Windows 10. Now, updates just install. It might replace drivers you're using, or install the next flavor of Get Windows 10 systray adware, but it's fixed now!

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

evol262 posted:

Yeah. I'm aware of that page, which is part of why I was able to do it. Is everyone who has a blog setup? Do they even know how to tell if the VPS they're using is running nginx or Apache, let alone which of the 3 places config files could be for each?

And there's also this from nginx themselves that calls out the sheer number of lovely config howtos out there. Good thing that page you linked is the first Google result for "SSL nginx", so there's a chance nontechnical people will click it. Oh wait, it's third, behind ones from DigiCert and DO.

That page, incidentally, doesn't show you how to create and point at a different collection of Diffie-Hellman params, which is recommended these days due to weaknesses in the default set (see weakdh.org).

The thing that pissed me off wasn't "I was able to do this," it's that for people who don't have years of experience or aren't systems administrators in their daily life, this has to be the single most daunting black-box pray-it-works thing they'll ever try to do, break their website, and give up on.

Every "why Johnny can't encrypt" criticism is valid here in PKI land, even more so than PGP. If you don't think the usability of OpenSSL is a shitshow nightmare then congrats, you're the only person I've ever encountered who feels that way, including swaths of the crypto community.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Uh, they did fix it in Windows 10. Now, updates just install. It might replace drivers you're using, or install the next flavor of Get Windows 10 systray adware, but it's fixed now!

I actually considered at least trying W10, since the W7->W10 free upgrade window is still open, but the in-place upgrade to W10 is served only through Windows Update! (And apparently there's no way to convert a 7 key into a 10 key -- if you want 10, you have to install 7 and then upgrade in place.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fortigate puked. Disk drive isn't showing up, it boots but it doesn't really get anyway. It'd be cool if the indicator lights did jack poo poo or if Fortigate had ever replied to the ticket we put it on Friday morning when it froze up and we had to reboot it. Asked me if I wanted to do a disk check but it would take 10 minutes and I needed to get us back up online right away. Should have ran that like Friday night.

I have our old Adtran switch/router deal running stuff right now. But our VPN and wireless setups obviously aren't working.

Happy Monday :smug:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ToxicFrog posted:

I actually considered at least trying W10, since the W7->W10 free upgrade window is still open, but the in-place upgrade to W10 is served only through Windows Update!
No, you can circumvent Windows Update by going through the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

ToxicFrog posted:

(And apparently there's no way to convert a 7 key into a 10 key -- if you want 10, you have to install 7 and then upgrade in place.)
You don't get a key with the free offer, but a fingerprint of your hardware will be created, allowing you at least to do straight new clean installs on the same hardware after upgrading and activating once.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
gently caress Fortigate seriously

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Once you go global poo poo like this will ruin your day more often than you want.

Most definitely. This is not the first time a submarine cable has made my work interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

As in, if you set it to "automatically download and install updates", it'll appear to hang forever on "checking for updates", but is actually installing them in the background and they'll be there when you reboot?

Meaning all I needed to do was leave it sitting there for a few hours while I did something else and then reboot?

:suicide:

That was my experience with three separate machines, but don't take that as gospel.