Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Bitchkrieg posted:

What's up PKDick buddy :respek:

Momentary derail: I think that's really his best novel. I'm consulting with a couple artists to get a UBIK tattoo (replete with "I am alive and you are dead" incorporated). Someone save me from myself.

Please do this and post it. But you have to get the full quote of course:

JUMP IN THE URINAL AND STAND ON YOUR HEAD.
I'M THE ONE THAT'S ALIVE. YOU'RE ALL DEAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gerbil_Pen posted:

I have long commutes for work, and enjoy audiobooks to pass the time. I have some Audible credits to burn before I cancel the subscription...

Can anyone recommend lengthy, enjoyable biographies or historical accounts? I've listened to and enjoyed the following:

- The Guns of August (WWI), Barbara Tuchman
- Hitler (:hitler:), Ian Kershaw
- Wizard (Nichola Tesla), Marc J. Seifer
- The Earth Shall Weep (Native Americans), James Wilson

This might not be the right thread to ask this, so forgive me.

This is not exactly an audiobook, but investigate the Hardcore History podcast with Dan Carlin. The Wrath of the Khans, Blueprint for Armaggeddon, Death Throes of the Republic and Punic Nightmares series are all fantastic and are pretty much audiobooks in their own right.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Excellent, thanks all, this should keep me going for a while.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A Darkling Sea by James L Cambias.

4.25 stars

Here are some :words: ...

This standalone alien contact novel is a fast-moving and fun read. It takes place on an icy moon called Ilmatar (which is very much like Europa) in a far off star-system, where a gruesome first contact accident leads to a multi-species diplomatic incident.

I can't help but think of this as Vernor-Vinge-lite, in a good way. In half the page-count of a sprawling novel like A Deepness in the Sky or A Fire Upon the Deep, Cambias tells a story similar to both (but far less complex) about human and alien interaction on a distant planet. However, instead of orbiting above the alien planet like in Deepness, the humans in this novel are in undersea scientific habitats like those in Michael Crichton's Sphere and other novels with a similar setting. There, the humans are conducting research on the biota of Ilmatar, while being careful not to overstep interplanetary contact laws. Policing those laws are another alien race, the Sholen, who act as the main antagonists in the novel, but who aren't necessarily the "baddies". The narrative is told from the perspective of all three races, and I found I sympathised with all the main characters equally.

The alien races are great. The Ilmatarans are a crustacean-like race who see and communicate with sonar, and who have a tenuous grasp on the concept of linear time. They are just beginning to enter a scientific age, and the main Ilmataran character we deal with is an enthusiastic scientist, Broadtail, who puts you in mind of a Victorian-era scholar, planning expeditions and collecting specimens. Throughout the story we learn a lot about Ilmataran biology, culture and (particularly) language. Cambias has definitely done the leg work in creating a believable alien race with some amusing similarities to humanity, but also some stark differences. On top of this, Cambias did well in fleshing out the wider ecosystems of Ilmatar. It's a nice approach to world-building based on believable biology and geology.

Cambias could have left it as a simple contact story with only one alien race, but he also decided to include the Sholen. These aliens are my favourites of the book: huge, six-limbed creatures that look a bit like hairless otters. Despite having superior technology to humanity they are largely pacifists; and they are troubled by humanity's recent emergence as a starfaring race. Despising violence, they nonetheless prepare to do whatever necessary to stop humans "tainting" Ilmatar with colonial notions. The Sholen's intentions come across as well-meaning at first — albeit mistaken when it comes to interpreting the humans' intentions. Later, the Sholen become increasingly reactionary, and because we know the humans on Ilmatar are (mostly) peaceful scientists, we're meant to view the Sholen as the irrational invading force. But they never transformed into full enemies in my mind. I still liked the Sholen characters, especially because the one whose perspective we read from the most, Tizhos, is ambivalent towards humans rather than hating them outright, and she is curious about the Ilmatarans as well.

The Sholen are also fascinating in that all their social interactions are based on reciprocated sexual attention. This leads to a hilarious scene where two Sholen try to seduce a human to obtain information. It's an almost farcical moment. There's plenty of humour throughout the book, making it a pretty light-hearted tale, even though there are a number of deaths and moments of tension. Adding to the easy-going tone is the likeable human hero, a drone technician named Rob, who is a bit of a slob as well as being pop-culture obsessed. Switching often between his perspective and the equally-enjoyable perspectives of Broadtail and Tizhos means that the narrative keeps the reader engaged, and maintains a fresh pace. I'm not usually a fast reader, but I found myself putting away up to a hundred pages a day with this book. That's a phenomenal rate for me.

If anything, this book needed one more chapter at the end to deal more thoroughly with the fallout of the climactic action scene, as well as wrapping up each of the characters' stories. The ending just feels a little too brief. Perhaps, though, Cambias intends to write more books in this universe, in which case I eagerly await them. I'd really like to see what other worlds and races humanity and the Sholen might butt heads about.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

4.5 stars

Part cyberpunk, part dark humor, part Da Vinci code.

The main character (whose name is literally Hiro Protagonist) is a sword-toting hacker who makes a living selling information to the central intelligence corporation (the CIA was privatized years ago). One day, he is hanging out with his top-tier hacker pal in their second life bar, and this top tier hacker gets hacked by a strange visitor who merely gets him to watch a video. Hiro starts looking into it and unearths some heavy poo poo.

The book also follows Y.T., a young courier who saves Hiro's rear end from a high-speed pizza delivery gone awry. After making a good impression on the Mafia, who is (publicly) behind the pizza delivery company, she finds herself as an important player in the Mafia's investigation of a new, strange drug.

The book does try to explain the weird occurrences in the setting, but ultimately everything boils down to the rule of cool.

I liked it, but felt that the ending was a little abrupt.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Ruzihm posted:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

4.5 stars

Part cyberpunk, part dark humor, part Da Vinci code.

The main character (whose name is literally Hiro Protagonist) is a sword-toting hacker who makes a living selling information to the central intelligence corporation (the CIA was privatized years ago). One day, he is hanging out with his top-tier hacker pal in their second life bar, and this top tier hacker gets hacked by a strange visitor who merely gets him to watch a video. Hiro starts looking into it and unearths some heavy poo poo.

The book also follows Y.T., a young courier who saves Hiro's rear end from a high-speed pizza delivery gone awry. After making a good impression on the Mafia, who is (publicly) behind the pizza delivery company, she finds herself as an important player in the Mafia's investigation of a new, strange drug.

The book does try to explain the weird occurrences in the setting, but ultimately everything boils down to the rule of cool.

I liked it, but felt that the ending was a little abrupt.

your post captured the essence of the book, it made me cringe and I kind of liked it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Dirty Frank posted:

your post captured the essence of the book, it made me cringe and I kind of liked it.

Thanks?! :shobon:

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari.
Pretty interesting look at dating in the modern age, with charming humor sprinkled in. It's nothing groundbreaking but a quick read with some cool nuggets.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Secret, lol

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
The Devotion Of Suspect X, by Keigo Higashino. A rave Japanese bestseller according to the press clippings all over the cover, I had an idea of what I'd be getting into here, especially with the "Japan's answer to Stieg Larsson!!!!" stuff. While I was expecting a moody, twisty-turny crime thriller, what I actually got was something quite different. It's moody, and there's definitely crime, but it's much slower and more ponderous than I was expecting. There's a murder, and a woman's standoffish neighbour decides to help her and her daughter out in the aftermath. It's populated solely with archetypes: we get our standard straight-talking detective, enigmatic love interest, and not one but two mathematical geniuses to deal with. It's just a shame it doesn't really go anywhere - what should feel like a tense procedural drama ends up tottering along awkwardly towards a Big Twist and a climax that I found myself utterly indifferent to. That said, there are some nice scenes, and it starts very strong - it seems to have some interesting subtext about the role of women in men's fantasy? Or I might be giving it too much credit. Ultimately, I just wish there were more to it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Gertrude Perkins posted:

The Devotion Of Suspect X, by Keigo Higashino. A rave Japanese bestseller according to the press clippings all over the cover, I had an idea of what I'd be getting into here, especially with the "Japan's answer to Stieg Larsson!!!!" stuff. While I was expecting a moody, twisty-turny crime thriller, what I actually got was something quite different. It's moody, and there's definitely crime, but it's much slower and more ponderous than I was expecting. There's a murder, and a woman's standoffish neighbour decides to help her and her daughter out in the aftermath. It's populated solely with archetypes: we get our standard straight-talking detective, enigmatic love interest, and not one but two mathematical geniuses to deal with. It's just a shame it doesn't really go anywhere - what should feel like a tense procedural drama ends up tottering along awkwardly towards a Big Twist and a climax that I found myself utterly indifferent to. That said, there are some nice scenes, and it starts very strong - it seems to have some interesting subtext about the role of women in men's fantasy? Or I might be giving it too much credit. Ultimately, I just wish there were more to it.

The ending wasn't very good, but I liked most of what led up to it. The second one that was published in English, Salvation of a Saint, is not nearly as good, so I would take a pass if I were you.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Secret lol

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Depths of Time, by Roger MacBride Allen. Sci-fi book with one of the more unusual forms of interstellar travel I've ever read about : wormholes through time, so slow-boating ships travel back in time before continuing onwards so that they arrive at their destination in time. Most of the book is wrapped up in the personal quest of a military officer who witnesses a bizarre incident at one of these wormholes to put the pieces together and solve a centuries-old mystery that may doom the entire human race. Pretty clearly the start of a series, and Amazon tells me it's a trilogy altogether, but it's an interesting setting and antagonist. The end of the book left me wondering what will happen next and what's really going on, but none of the characters themselves are very memorable so I dunno whether I'll get the sequels or not.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Crabs: The Human Sacrifice, by Guy N. Smith. Let me start with the cover art:

Wow, right? This book defies description. On the surface it's a pulpy creature-feature horror romp, but it's so much more than that. It has all the torrid sex scenes, grisly crustacean gore and farcical characterisation you'd expect from the cover, sure. But the fact that the menace is GIANT CRABS (who all have cancer!) never gets old. The author's politics are pretty clear-cut, too: the book's bad guys aren't just eco-terrorists. They're led by an eco-terrorist cult leader who's also a deadly kung fu master with a samurai sword and an evil gross passion for evil gross BDSM! And the book's...hero? is a rich 32-year-old bachelor with a penchant for teenage girls and a lust for bloody justice.

But that's all just scratching the surface. Every page has something ridiculous on it, from epic scenes of crab warfare to stilted dialogue and non-sequitur inner monologues. Not to mention hundred-word descriptions of just how gross and hate-filled crabs are. Read it, it's atrocious and it's wonderful.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just because you got crabs doesn't mean you should try to pass them on to other people.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

epic scenes of crab warfare

Um, send me your copy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Neil Gaiman is a big Guy N. Smith fan, and now I know why.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

I'm almost afraid to admit it, but I've read this. It's exactly as he describes it. I'm pretty sure every single female character in the book gets naked and gets messily killed by giant crabs.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

I'm almost afraid to admit it, but I've read this. It's exactly as he describes it. I'm pretty sure every single female character in the book gets naked and gets messily killed by giant crabs.

Spoiler Alert?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

ProfessorProf posted:

Every female character except Cliff's put-apon wife, and the evil middle-aged woman! She's just a vicious, sexless upper-class shrew. No, Guy N. Smith doesn't have any trouble writing women, why do you ask? :heysexy:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So I looked for this book, and I am shocked to learn there is a whole crab series.

Also Guy N Smith looks like he hangs out with Quinn from Jaws. He may not understand women, but he doesn't have to.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell seemed like a cool premise (let's follow the trail of the three American presidential assassinations) but unfortunately it is terrible. It is terrible not because of its premise, it is terrible because Sarah Vowell is the most insufferable author--personally--that I've ever trudged through. She cannot help but complain about George W Bush every page, and though he was president at the time (2005), it's dated and it's completely tedious to be reminded that hey, she voted for Gore. It's reminiscent of family members who remember slights ten Thanksgivings old. Meanwhile, she whines about Americans not knowing enough about American history (e.g. that no one can recognize General Lafayette's face in a portrait, despite him being a completely unmemorable-looking guy), but every time she runs across someone who is informed about American history, she harasses them for having the wrong opinions about it. It's like a giant D&D effort post, but somehow less information-dense. It feels like she's wagging her clitoris about how informed she is, but it's really not an impressive depth of knowledge and it's terribly organized; the only amazing thing is that she doesn't trust the information in the book to speak for her--she has to tell you outright that she's a smartie and everyone else is a dunderhead. Well la de loving da. Take it back to Livejournal.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo - I'm not quite sure why it's such a huge phenomenon. I thought it was good and I liked it, but it's not the best book I've ever read. Honestly I found the dialogue a bit stilted at times and the way perspective would shift from paragraph to paragraph really threw me off.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Gormenghast, by Mervyn Peake. It and its predecessor Titus Groan are lavishly written gothic melodramas about a crumbling castle ruled by rigid, pointless tradition, populated by people whose feelings are buried deep in caricature. They've been very satisfying reads; once I got used to the writing and got halfway through the first one, the pace picked up and I found it hard to stop thinking about them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Going on a bit of a Napoleonic wars kick at the moment. Started with Hornblower, and now reading the Sharpe series in tandem. Skipping all the nautical bullshit in Hornblower really shortens the reading time, as about half the novel feels like "hardy-ho, Senior Bushman! Vast-a-lee starways and she'll be in range of our quartered jib-sheet by mid-bells tomorrow, should the wind not shift!" Just... the most boring poo poo. Kind of an innate flaw about writing up naval action, I suppose - the supposedly most tense moments, broadsides and all, are intermingled with that sort of stuff. Meanwhile, Sharpe's battle descriptions are fascinating in general, and the author writes up Trafalgar in just as interesting a manner, with nary an 18th century bit of technobabble in sight.

What is odd is how two (moderately and extremely cynical, correspondingly) series reliably regurgitate "Napoleon boo, Raving Mad Loonie part 3 rah rah rah". At first I thought I might discount it as another aspect of Hornblower's autism, but no - there's a very clear delineation between what the author wants us to dismiss, and his own opinions. Ditto for Sharpe.

I'm not expecting a Marxist perspective of two empires contending for economic reasons, but it's been 150 years, and you're still investing so much effort in spewing tales about Wellington and Nelson joining in to boot "Bonnie" in the arse single handed. The Spanish? Had to have their country "liberated" for them. The Prussians? Never heard of them. The Napoleonic wars were a match between Tyranny and Democracy the right way of doing things, and only two countries actually fought in any way that mattered.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 15, 2017

ghost crow
Jul 9, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just finished King Leopold's Ghost. A really engrossing and also really depressing account of the history of King Leopold's acquirement of the Congo and the atrocities committed there, as well as the anti Congo movement that developed. Really engaging book.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
I just read The Martian by Anthony Weir. Finished it last night (very quick read). I'd been on the library waiting list for the book since July, and just now got it. I thought the book was very fun. The science of it was alright, not as bad as some things. The problems throughout were obvious, and in a way it felt a bit formulaic in its pattern of problems and solutions. I did really enjoy it for a brain-candy reading. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, as I love me some Matt Damon.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

"Napoleon: A Life" by Andrew Roberts. It was an excellent biography and very well researched. The author had travelled to a lot of the major places and it was interesting to read about what the battlefields look like now. He also keeps it on track and moving along (without getting into excessive detail) and although he clearly admires Napoleon, he doesn't gloss over dumb decisions or cruelty.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Finally, after a long and hard slog (and at one point giving up entirely, very early on, after the infamous rape scene), I have finished all ten books of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I think the ending of the last book was a bit rushed after all that, but I'd still heartily recommend it if you're looking for fantasy of the spectacularly bleak variety. The writing is beautiful and the character study is intense and compelling, as well as extremely painful and traumatic for everyone involved.

As a sufferer of depression, these books come closest of any work of fiction I've ever read to reflecting my experiences with it, which is one of the main reasons I enjoyed it so much. It's a long train ride of bitterness and futility and hopelessness and the death of beauty and innocence, weighted down with despair and failure and self-loathing the whole way through. So if you're into that sort of thing, maybe give it a go? Definite trigger warnings on the spoilered bit, though. A lot of people quit reading the first book at that point, and you can hardly blame them. I think the books handle the subject of rape and the horribly destructive consequences it has on the victim's life remarkably well, especially compared to certain other fantasy series I could name (looking at you, Piers Anthony), but there are plenty of people who disagree, and while I ended up not hating the titular character by the end, it took him a LONG road to start winning any real sympathy.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Finished The Urth of the New Sun last night, capping off my first reading of The Book of the New Sun. What a ride, I rarely have the immediate feeling to want to re-read a book (or five) but I have it now. Going to read through the other two related series first, I think, already have the Long Sun books on my shelf. I can't say much about Gene Wolfe that hasn't already been said, but this series definitely lived up the the hype for me, it's made an impression on me that not very many books have.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

The Swerve by S Greenblatt. Well-written, academic, and engaging look at Lucretius' "On the Nature of Things" through the lens of Poggio Bracciolini, a renaissance humanist and scholar.

I think the specificity of Greenblatt's thesis (loosely, that the preservation - serendipitous and intentional - of Lucretius' poem is foundational to the emergence of modernity) is a bit of a stretch (I say this as a professional in the field of book and printing history), but it's a wonderful read. I definitely recommend it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Finished The Urth of the New Sun last night, capping off my first reading of The Book of the New Sun. What a ride, I rarely have the immediate feeling to want to re-read a book (or five) but I have it now. Going to read through the other two related series first, I think, already have the Long Sun books on my shelf. I can't say much about Gene Wolfe that hasn't already been said, but this series definitely lived up the the hype for me, it's made an impression on me that not very many books have.

Agreed; I had to wait weeks before I could bring myself to try reading anything else. I dug Long Sun, as well, but couldn't get into Blue/Green

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Ready Player One.

It's probably the worst thing I've read in recent memory. It's not just that it's boring and poorly-written with crappy characters. The worst was the constant pandering to 80s geeks like the author. Half the drat book is just references to videogames and movies of that era. "Look, it's those games/movies you from when you were 14. Now mastery of those games is a crucial skill and plot element. You can relate to that, right? You like this, right? You could do this!". Pandering escapism is the worst. A third of the way through I just started skipping all the references, sometimes pages at a time.

I'd been sick in bed for weeks, so it did the job as a simple, linear, young adult-level writing I could follow without having to think, even when I was nauseated (by my sickness, not the book). But its only impact on me is that now I have a definitive book I can use as a litmus test for other people. If anyone above age 20 tells me they liked this, I'll lose respect for them, and I will rule out their recommendations for other books. I'm not a snob, I'm not an intellectual, I'm just an average guy who mostly reads simple fiction because that's what his average brain can take, and this felt beneath even me. This was poor fanfiction for a universe that never existed (if you can consider a thin layer around geek culture from the 80s and today to be a universe).

I realize this post comes off as an attack on the many people here who liked it. I only got this book because it's the goddamn Internet darling after all. This really isn't my goal, there was just no way I could say what I honestly think of this book without judging its fans. Don't take it personally.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Bitchkrieg posted:

The Swerve by S Greenblatt. Well-written, academic, and engaging look at Lucretius' "On the Nature of Things" through the lens of Poggio Bracciolini, a renaissance humanist and scholar.

I think the specificity of Greenblatt's thesis (loosely, that the preservation - serendipitous and intentional - of Lucretius' poem is foundational to the emergence of modernity) is a bit of a stretch (I say this as a professional in the field of book and printing history), but it's a wonderful read. I definitely recommend it.

These were my thoughts exactly. I spent a decent amount of time chatting wtih my father-in-law about the book, and it was during that conversation that it dawned on me how many huge leaps of faith Greenblatt took to arrive at his thesis. It's almost like he developed it, then did everything he could to make things conform to his conclusions. Still, as you said, the historical parts dealing with ancient texts and books in general were fascinating.

I just finished J by Howard Jacobson. It takes place years after what seems to be a second Holocaust--the book gives you vague hints and bits and pieces of what everybody refers to 'WHAT HAPPENED, IF IT HAPPENED'--and a young couple who are dealing with the aftermath (but are things as they seem?) Honestly, the book was a mess, but it was kind of fun assembling the story from the pieces provided. Still, I couldn't say the book worked for me as a whole.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

MachinTrucChose posted:

Ready Player One.

I'm not a snob, I'm not an intellectual, I'm just an average guy who mostly reads simple fiction because that's what his average brain can take, and this felt beneath even me. This was poor fanfiction for a universe that never existed (if you can consider a thin layer around geek culture from the 80s and today to be a universe).

Ha, your review is perfect, but I loved this part. When I told some friends that I hated this book, they got all defensive and called me a snob. Snobbery has nothing to do with my hatred of this book! I love all sorts of cheesy sci-fi/fantasy novels, but I've honestly read better stuff written by classmates back in high school creative writing courses. The book was too "tell not show" for me: "I got to the second gate and noticed that it was the opening scene from Back to the Future, but I was Michael J. Fox. Luckily I watched all of the movies of Robert Zemeckis 800 times each so I knew every line perfectly."

Apparently his latest book is worse, so I won't be diving into that one.

Recent reads:
Off to be the Wizard: Did Cline write this too? Total Mary Sue character, weak plot, lame humor. Wasn't a fan.

The City & The City: Plot was OK, but the concept of the two cities was really clever. Love Mieville's creativity.

The Martian: Weir is clearly not a novelist, but I did enjoy a lot of the science and engineering in this book. Unfortunately, I saw the trailer before reading the book, so Watney was just Damon in my mind.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Guide, by Dennis Cooper. Death, sex, child abuse, loneliness, drugs and mid-90s bands. The fourth in his George Miles cycle, with some of the most dark and upsetting scenes yet, but also some of the most uplifting. It feels more detached than the previous books in the cycle, and the ultra-unreliable-narrator thing is tied with a lot of autobiographical notes to make the contrast even more stark. After four of these I'm not sure what more I can add, but it's very good and melancholy and troubling.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

MachinTrucChose posted:

Ready Player One.

... its only impact on me is that now I have a definitive book I can use as a litmus test for other people. If anyone above age 20 tells me they liked this, I'll lose respect for them, and I will rule out their recommendations for other books.

Seriously tempted to just hate-read this book for this exact reason. The books I've been reading lately have all been fantastic that I'm actually starting to forget what really crappy writing looks like. Pandering to nerds really is the easiest thing in the world, isn't it?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Thanks to all the goons mentioning The Terror, I finally read it and really liked it. The Thing is one of my favorite movies so isolated arctic hellscapes as things go to poo poo is one of my favorite settings. Perhaps a bit too long for it's own good, and definitely towards the end started skimming some part but I liked the ending and glad Crozier lived to become some innuit hermit dude hunting seals in crevices for the rest of his life with Silence--considering I was sure he was just gunna have everyone die. Did Simmons ever reveal what the rat-toothed corpse at the end was supposed to be? I thought the end with Terror having moved 200 miles and boarded up from the outside was actually one of the creepier things in the book. Was the boat and corpse inside supposed to represent the Tuunbaq assuming the form of the strongest animal around?.

Heard his other books weren't that good so welp. Anything else that comes close?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Just finished "The Coquette" for a class I am taking. I like the form and the insights into 18th misogyny, but Jesus Christ I am so tired of the Epistle form already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

Thanks to all the goons mentioning The Terror, I finally read it and really liked it. The Thing is one of my favorite movies so isolated arctic hellscapes as things go to poo poo is one of my favorite settings. Perhaps a bit too long for it's own good, and definitely towards the end started skimming some part but I liked the ending and glad Crozier lived to become some innuit hermit dude hunting seals in crevices for the rest of his life with Silence--considering I was sure he was just gunna have everyone die. Did Simmons ever reveal what the rat-toothed corpse at the end was supposed to be? I thought the end with Terror having moved 200 miles and boarded up from the outside was actually one of the creepier things in the book. Was the boat and corpse inside supposed to represent the Tuunbaq assuming the form of the strongest animal around?.

Heard his other books weren't that good so welp. Anything else that comes close?

I can't remember the corpse at the end, what was that about again?

Hyperion is loving amazing, one of the greatest SF books I've ever read, so read that. The direct sequel Fall of Hyperion is a bit of a slog in comparison, but worth it for the balls-out insane ending. DON'T READ THE ENDYMION BOOKS.