Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Wait, do you really believe that nothing bad has ever been caused by people acting in good faith with incomplete information?

Different standards of negligence, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Not that this will help in any way, shape, or form, but this was not a bombing, as far as I can tell. It was not a cruise missile, it was not drones. It was an attack by a Spectre gunship, probably mortar fire from it. (Which explode like a bomb, yes, making the MSF doctors reasonably accurate in calling it a bombing - it's not like it sounds that different when you're under it.)

What this means is that it is more akin to someone carefully choosing to shoot a location, rather than picking a spot and deciding to drop things on it.

Someone had to call for that specific location to be attacked. We don't know why, yet, or if there was a screw up and they actually meant a block over. But someone specifically called for it, and the people calling for it were most probably on the ground and nearby.

On the other hand, we've called in A-10 strikes on allied forces before.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Meanwhile, people are posting more shooting threats on 4chan now that it's the cool thing to do (this time at colleges in Philadelphia) so look forward to schools being closed everywhere for a while.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Not that this will help in any way, shape, or form, but this was not a bombing, as far as I can tell. It was not a cruise missile, it was not drones. It was an attack by a Spectre gunship, probably mortar fire from it. (Which explode like a bomb, yes, making the MSF doctors reasonably accurate in calling it a bombing - it's not like it sounds that different when you're under it.)

What this means is that it is more akin to someone carefully choosing to shoot a location, rather than picking a spot and deciding to drop things on it.

Someone had to call for that specific location to be attacked. We don't know why, yet, or if there was a screw up and they actually meant a block over. But someone specifically called for it, and the people calling for it were most probably on the ground and nearby.

Mortars are bombs

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Has there been any new information on the Oregon shooter? I thought that one of the news stories claims he gave someone a flash drive and a "manifesto" but don't see any other follow up on the story.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

Meanwhile, people are posting more shooting threats on 4chan now that it's the cool thing to do (this time at colleges in Philadelphia) so look forward to schools being closed everywhere for a while.

I work at a school in the area. We got an email from our head of security about it. None of the schools are closing, since it's non-specific, but there is definitely a larger presence of police in the area.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Has there been any new information on the Oregon shooter? I thought that one of the news stories claims he gave someone a flash drive and a "manifesto" but don't see any other follow up on the story.

They haven't released it other than saying it describes a philosophy of "racial and social hate."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Warcabbit posted:

....they don't carry mortars. Most Spectres have a 105mm Howitzer, 2 40mm Bofors, and a 30mm Gatling.

I mean, they can vary the loadout, but I've never heard of one with a mortar.

Luigi Thirty posted:

They haven't released it other than saying it describes a philosophy of "racial and social hate."

The Christian Right are going to be sorely disappointed if it doesn't include 'Kill All Christians', since that has been their rallying cry over the shooting.

Huckabee was on CNN this morning moaning about the sin and immorality of America and how it is the cause of these tribulations.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 5, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Why would you need to fire a mortar from an airplane?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Pure style points.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the MSF doctors are trained to be able to make a distinction between a bomb, a missile or a mortar.

Their hospital got blown the hell up, and if you don't see contrails or other evidence of rocketry and you instead see/hear something that has the properties of a ballistic something (plus however distorted your account is by being in the middle of that chaotic situation), bomb is the descriptor you're probably going to reach for.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think the MSF doctors are trained to be able to make a distinction between a bomb, a missile or a mortar.

Their hospital got blown the hell up, and if you don't see contrails or other evidence of rocketry and you instead see/hear something that has the properties of a ballistic something (plus however distorted your account is by being in the middle of that chaotic situation), bomb is the descriptor you're probably going to reach for.

Yeah, this. It was most likely a 105mm HE shell.

Either way, someone hosed up.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Repost from the US Senate thread:

Maggie Hassan is running for Senate in NH. Bad news for Ayotte.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, this. It was most likely a 105mm HE shell.

Either way, someone hosed up.
No American military person is ever going to be tried by an international war crimes court though, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Looks like NAFTA 2: Asia Boogaloo reached agreement

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

No American military person is ever going to be tried by an international war crimes court though, right?
gently caress no.

If the US wants to hang a soldier the military justice system is perfectly capable of doing that without any help from the Belgians.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nope. They'll get demoted and many fingers will be wagged, but nothing will happen.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Extra distance, maybe.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Booourns posted:

I find it hard to believe that some terrorists would think that a hospital would provide them cover, like the US has ever had a problem with killing innocent people
Innocent people, no. Innocent white Western upper class doctors? Yeah, that'll generate some heat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Oracle posted:

Innocent people, no. Innocent white Western upper class doctors? Yeah, that'll generate some heat.

I'm pretty sure they keep security on sites for this exact reason, plus the standard medical precautions of not letting family members into the OR, etc.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

CommieGIR posted:

....they don't carry mortars. Most Spectres have a 105mm Howitzer, 2 40mm Bofors, and a 30mm Gatling.

I mean, they can vary the loadout, but I've never heard of one with a mortar.

They were talking about upgrading it with a mortar. (this will teach me to go off memory rather than checking specs on something.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130

quote:

There were also plans to possibly replace the 105 mm cannon with a breech-loading 120 mm M120 mortar, and to give the AC-130 a standoff capability using either the AGM-114 Hellfire missile, the Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (based on the Hydra 70 rocket), or the Viper Strike glide bomb
Thought it had happened. Not entirely sure if it has or not. Either way. Not especially relevant. The point being 'this was an aimed weapon and not a dropped one' and 'it was explosive enough that it's reasonable for MSF to call it a bomb despite it not actually being a bomb.'

The key bit of difference between aimed and dropped weapons is precision - they hit what they aimed at within a number of feet - this may have been mis-tasked, or targeted badly, but it's not a case of 'aimed at one thing and hit another'.

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is exactly what I was saying - MSF are accurate in calling it 'being bombed' from their perspective.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bigger bang. The difference between 105mm and 120mm is huge.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 5, 2015

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Oracle posted:

I think I read that everyone killed was Afghan

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luigi Thirty posted:

Better sight lines and cheaper than bombs of equal accuracy. From the ground you're arcing a shell over any number of terrain features but from the air you're basically hurling it right down onto their heads. Dumb bombs are probably more accurate than they were in the 40s due to better sights but they're still basically aero-stabilized bricks of explosive dropped from the plane. A mortar has a charge behind it and a known (albeit a combination of airspeed/height/barrel direction) vector along which it's being fired, allowing for more predictable variables when the computer is sighting it. For that level of accuracy you need something like a JDAM (I believe they're still more expensive than a shell) or a cruise missile (way more expensive but capable of delivering more boom and different payloads).

Also there's probably something there about having eyes on the actual target to avoid blowing up a hospital under the belief that it's a terror mountain but clearly that doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
France rules and every CEO in America should face this sort of consequence for their lovely actions:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34445379

quote:

Two Air France managers were forced to flee a meeting about job cuts after angry workers broke into the room.
The managers, one of whom had his shirt ripped from his body, were involved in talks about plans for 2,900 job losses at the airline.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

No. We try our own. No international court would be able to get much out of the US Military if there were such a thing anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

France rules and every CEO in America should face this sort of consequence for their lovely actions:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34445379

How much do we bet there was an impromptu guillotine being built next door.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

No. We try our own. No international court would be able to get much out of the US Military if there were such a thing anyway.

There very much is such a thing, its called the ICC, and the U.S. explicitly states we don't believe in it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/10/05/afghan-forces-requested-airstrike-that-hit-hospital-in-kunduz/

quote:

The airstrike that killed 22 people at a Doctor’s without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan was requested by Afghan forces, not U.S. troops, according to the top U.S. general in Afghanistan.

Army Gen. John Campbell said that Afghan forces advised that they were taking fire from enemy positions and asked for air support from U.S. forces. Campbell made it clear that this differed from initial reports that said U.S. forces were under attack and called in the airstrikes for their defense.

Campbell offered his “deepest condolences” for those killed and wounded in the strikes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I totally buy Afghan forces would do that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

the U.S. explicitly states we don't believe in it.

:thejoke:

It's also why SOFAs are so important to the US.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Same but US forces

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Who thought it was a good idea to let the Afgahns call in fires?

I mean, even giving them guns is a bad idea but they'd get those anyway.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

It's such a believable excuse that I'm actually having a hard time believing it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Well there's an explanation that actually makes sense.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm reminded of a horrific air strike, also in Kunduz, where USAF F-15Es killed over 60 civilians after a German general ordered that strike. Germany ended up paying the families $5000 per victim.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'm not doubting that we're dumb enough to allow it but...why do we let Afghan forces say 'yo airstrike now' like it's loving CoD?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
In a classic move out of the Ron Paul playbook, Carly Fiorina has decided to show how fiscally conservative she is by not paying staffers from her failed 2010 campaign. :911:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Phone posted:

In a classic move out of the Ron Paul playbook, Carly Fiorina has decided to show how fiscally conservative she is by not paying staffers from her failed 2010 campaign. :911:

She didn't get elected, so clearly their performance was unsatisfactory.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm not doubting that we're dumb enough to allow it but...why do we let Afghan forces say 'yo airstrike now' like it's loving CoD?
Well theoretically the US would like them to become a real country that can be trusted to have an army without instantly descending into warlordism and atrocity. In reality Afghanistan is a country that couldn't organize an orgy in a whorehouse and there isn't any point in the foreseeable future when the Afghan government should be trusted to wipe their own asses let alone call in airstrikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well theoretically the US would like them to become a real country that can be trusted to have an army without instantly descending into warlordism and atrocity. In reality Afghanistan is a country that couldn't organize an orgy in a whorehouse and there isn't any point in the foreseeable future when the Afghan government should be trusted to wipe their own asses let alone call in airstrikes.

afghanistan is a country created by russia and britain agreeing to a buffer no man's land between the chunks of territory they took over from Iran

decolonization strikes again lol

• Locked thread