Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would play Tanto Cuore if it had Jojo characters and was about fights and/or hot buff guys making out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Chill la Chill posted:

I would play Tanto Cuore if it had Jojo characters and was about fights and/or hot buff guys making out.

Bara Cuore would definitely be a sight. Also for 7 Wonders: 3 player games or bust if you want "competitive". Usually one copy of every different card, everyone's affected by everything else, makes it very cutthroat.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the Ascension idea of having different decks for each faction, and one for Monsters with triggers to draw on each.

You might also be able to do a Tetris style thing, where there're constantly cards getting added and moving off so that there's through-put, although that might make strategy even more random.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

I like the Ascension idea of having different decks for each faction, and one for Monsters with triggers to draw on each.

You might also be able to do a Tetris style thing, where there're constantly cards getting added and moving off so that there's through-put, although that might make strategy even more random.

Maybe they could add a dutch auction type of thing to one of these games. Sort of like Suburbia. Cards slide down the market row, cards that have been available longer are cheaper or award bonus VPs, and you can convert cards into a "silver" sort of like turning items into lakes like in Suburbia.

It might even be interesting to have a persistent bank in a game like this.

These non-Dominion/Puzzle Strike games usually have trouble with external balancing, with cards not being costed accurately, and use random availability of cards to blur this a bit (sort of like the way M:tG was originally balanced with rare cards; "we think these cards might be too powerful if people consistently get all of them in the same deck, but luckily that won't happen often!"). They could use some sort of auction or draft to let the players internally balance the game instead. If someone thinks that Ancient Recall With The Serial Numbers Filed Off card is worth way more than 7 or whatever the designer costed it, then they can pay more.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Maybe they could add a dutch auction type of thing to one of these games. Sort of like Suburbia. Cards slide down the market row, cards that have been available longer are cheaper or award bonus VPs, and you can convert cards into a "silver" sort of like turning items into lakes like in Suburbia.

It might even be interesting to have a persistent bank in a game like this.

These non-Dominion/Puzzle Strike games usually have trouble with external balancing, with cards not being costed accurately, and use random availability of cards to blur this a bit (sort of like the way M:tG was originally balanced with rare cards; "we think these cards might be too powerful if people consistently get all of them in the same deck, but luckily that won't happen often!"). They could use some sort of auction or draft to let the players internally balance the game instead. If someone thinks that Ancient Recall With The Serial Numbers Filed Off card is worth way more than 7 or whatever the designer costed it, then they can pay more.

That could be fun. You could do interactions with a card's position on the dutch auction, or have abilities that are triggered by sliding off the auction, or maybe have some way to move cards positionally within the auction.

Right now the market row combines with another irritating part of the game, which is the point salad approach to scoring. I guess a master Ascension player is keeping track of their score, but functionally I think it's probably difficult to actually know how many points you realistically have. The digital version even has a counter for your honor, and there are still times I'll have guessed my score completely wrong at the tally - keeping track of that much mathematical information just isn't entertaining or intuitive. That's another point in Dominion's favor: victory points are kept manageable, the information is stored in consistent cards (therefore I can keep track of the three provinces my opponent has scored versus having to keep track of like 2+2+3+2+3+6 or whatever), and even with alt-VP in the market you still have easy to remember levels of information.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The exception is Goons but Goons fucks everything up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Andarel posted:

The exception is Goons but Goons fucks everything up.

true to life

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Any word on which of the new COIN games from GMT are the best bets? I'd sure like to P500 all of them, but that's...a lot of monies.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
coin - my stinky butthole

gotta hide the cubes in my butt

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Caedar posted:

Any word on which of the new COIN games from GMT are the best bets? I'd sure like to P500 all of them, but that's...a lot of monies.

-AA is the most 'plain vanilla' of the bunch, no weird foreign invaders or semilegitimate 'businessmen', just a government trying to put down three bickering rebels in a jungle
-CL is the fastest and simplest, with a small map and straightforward interactions (although the government is difficult)
-ADP has probably the most depth to the diplomacy, where every faction has a reason to support each other at someone else's expense and the obvious 'allies' are at each other's throats
-FITL is the heaviest and most similar to traditional wargames with a more conventional war of movement

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Caedar posted:

As for the upcoming ones, Falling Sky and Colonial Twilight are the big strange ones, while Liberty or Death seems to be a bit more of the same.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah personally I'm still disappointed LoD wasn't French and Indian War.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's also said there's an Angola game in development. And Cuba Libre has a new expansion pack, too.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah personally I'm still disappointed LoD wasn't French and Indian War.

Still P500'd it.

Finally got Cuba Libre off the shelf again today. And managed to play it with people I'll likely see again, rather than store randos.

Played government, almost got destroyed by 26July. The reds used an event to steal a base in Havana from the DR (who snuck in during a moment of Passive Support), but I didn't bother to knock it out. I mean, what were the odds that Castro would ever get to recruit in my strongest base of support?

So uh, it turns out there's an event that lets you Rally in a space as if it were neutral. Fourteen guerillas appeared in the capital out of thin air, and Batista probably poo poo his khakis.

Thankfully, I managed to claw my way back from something like 2 support, using Batista Flees and Coup to get on good terms with the US again. Finished second place on points with -1, behind 26July at +1 post-Agitation phase.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Two market rows, one for monster and the other for buying cards, but with fewer cards in each row.

Separating the Ascension cards into Buy and Fight would just allow people to concentrate exclusively on one strategy with no risk. Since Fight cards are cheaper per point provided, monsters on average provide more Honour per point spent and monsters don't go into your deck, you would create an obvious degenerate strategy of buying two or three Fight cards then trashing all your Buy. Separating by faction would be even worse, as nearly all the trashing is in Void; you may as well leave the other factions in the box.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jedit posted:

Separating the Ascension cards into Buy and Fight would just allow people to concentrate exclusively on one strategy with no risk. Since Fight cards are cheaper per point provided, monsters on average provide more Honour per point spent and monsters don't go into your deck, you would create an obvious degenerate strategy of buying two or three Fight cards then trashing all your Buy. Separating by faction would be even worse, as nearly all the trashing is in Void; you may as well leave the other factions in the box.

This is literally what happened to that goblin stacker game, and it was trivial to break as a result. (They had a row for buying actions with gold and a row for buying vps that never went into your deck with food, so trashing down to 5 cards that could buy you the biggest available VP card every turn was easy to do and immediately let you run away with the game)

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Caedar posted:

girl same

i'm about to order ADP (seems most interesting), along with Twilight Struggle and Lion of Judah

help

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Are there any good reasons not to buy Argent for someone with sufficient cash and poor impulse control?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If you are getting started in COIN, get Cuba Libre if you can.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kerro posted:

Are there any good reasons not to buy Argent for someone with sufficient cash and poor impulse control?

Lack of table space. Seriously the game is a table hog. The anime-esque artwork can make some people not want to play and the game is a decent length Euro, usually somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hrs to play.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So question about Bang! The Dice Game.

A, b, c, d, and e are sitting in a circle in that order (a and e next to each other). B and e are eliminated. A rolls three beers, 1, and 2.

Who can he hit? The way I read the rules, he can only hit c.

Second question : I have the character that heals myself for two if I don't roll any 1 or 2. I roll two gatling and 3 dynamite. My turn ends immediately, and I lose a life. Do I also gain two life since I did not roll a 1 or 2?

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Shadow225 posted:

So question about Bang! The Dice Game.

A, b, c, d, and e are sitting in a circle in that order (a and e next to each other). B and e are eliminated. A rolls three beers, 1, and 2.

Who can he hit? The way I read the rules, he can only hit c.
Pretty sure that when somebody's eliminated, they're basically out of the circle. So it's not so much A, B, C, D, and E in a circle any more, so much as A, C, and D. A can hit whoever the hell they want, because both others are both one away and two away. I think. It's been a while since I played this game.

Shadow225 posted:

Second question : I have the character that heals myself for two if I don't roll any 1 or 2. I roll two gatling and 3 dynamite. My turn ends immediately, and I lose a life. Do I also gain two life since I did not roll a 1 or 2?

Pretty sure, yeah. If it just says that you heal if you don't roll those, then you heal on that turn, since your final result didn't have any 1s or 2s.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

dominion has 25 kingdom cards and 7 supply cards in the base set

Mega64 posted:

You do realize there are 25 kingdom cards with 10 randomly chosen each game, right? Can't do the math right now but I'm pretty sure it's at least a few thousand games per penny you pay/ounce it weighs.
:doh: So it does, my mistake. I guess Dominion is superior in all areas, except anime content.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Lack of table space. Seriously the game is a table hog. The anime-esque artwork can make some people not want to play and the game is a decent length Euro, usually somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hrs to play.

Yeah if you have a not-large table it's going to be tough to get it to fit. Playing time holds up to the box suggestion of roughly 30m/player

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
As much as the market row stuff blows in those games, I've always been more disappointed with the "infinite actions" aspect that a majority have. Dominion's action economy is one of the most interesting parts to me. Yeah it sucks as a new player to end up with Smithy Smithy in your hand but in doing so it teaches you how to better your deck.

I think the problem is that people played Dominion, said "it sure stinks that I couldn't play all five of the super powerful cards in my hand that turn, I'll fix that!" and then they made Ascension where you can always feel great about your hand.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

This is literally what happened to that goblin stacker game, and it was trivial to break as a result. (They had a row for buying actions with gold and a row for buying vps that never went into your deck with food, so trashing down to 5 cards that could buy you the biggest available VP card every turn was easy to do and immediately let you run away with the game)

Oh poo poo I remember this. Didn't you (or someone) try to tell them this and their response was literally "Zuh? Buhhh? Zuh buh muh guh." and then they either did nothing or "fixed it" (i.e didn't really fix it at all)

Radioactive Toy posted:

As much as the market row stuff blows in those games, I've always been more disappointed with the "infinite actions" aspect that a majority have. Dominion's action economy is one of the most interesting parts to me. Yeah it sucks as a new player to end up with Smithy Smithy in your hand but in doing so it teaches you how to better your deck.

I think the problem is that people played Dominion, said "it sure stinks that I couldn't play all five of the super powerful cards in my hand that turn, I'll fix that!" and then they made Ascension where you can always feel great about your hand.

Yeah the lack of an action economy alone is enough to make non-Dominion deckbuilders feel trivial and uninteresting in comparison, but then they all go so much further. I still think Market row is ultimately more damaging in that it unequivocally fucks any potential for long term strategy up the rear end and replaces it with more luck.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 5, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bloose said this a long time ago but I can't remember the name of the game and I'm sure that there was more stuff regarding it that was posted:

quote:

A couple days ago, I got to playtest some dude's deckbuilder about stacking Goblins on top of each other. The final score of the game was 57 (me)/12 (experienced playtester)/6 (dude)/0 (dude), and the guy who made it was like "I've never seen that happen before" and I told him "It's really easy to tell that you don't know what makes Dominion good." Long story short, since victory cards didn't go into your deck, there was nothing stopping me from accruing a passable amount of vp-acquiring currency, buying the most expensive VP Goblin, and ignoring actions forever. I talked it over with him a whole lot after the fact but I'm not very hopeful for the game being anything better than mediocre.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I found the kickstarter

Loot & Recruit

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tekopo posted:

I found the kickstarter

Loot & Recruit

It died.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Huh apparently Richard Breese has a new game at Essen

quote:

Inhabit the Earth is a race game played on six continent boards. Players create their own menagerie of up to six creatures, each of which is represented by up to six cards, by using cards to introduce, multiply, evolve, and adapt their creatures. Each of the 162 unique cards identifies a creature's class, a continent and terrain that the creature inhabits, and a special or scoring ability.

Each class of creature is also represented by a counter, and the cards are also used to trigger the movement of the counters along the trails on the boards and by migrating, from one board to another. Breeding, achieved by flipping over a creature's counter, generates new cards. Movement facilitates further breeding and the chance to secure tokens for additional icons and point scoring.

At the end of the game, points are scored through abilities on the creature's cards, the position of the creatures' counters on the boards, and from tokens; the player with the most points wins. Rules for an introductory game for up to three players are included.

quote:

Mechanic
Action / Movement Programming
Area Movement
Card Drafting
Hand Management
Modular Board
Point to Point Movement
Set Collection
Tile Placement

Yep looks like a Richard Breese game. I like the kinda childlike art style too actually, I dunno it fits:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Now that's what I call board game art.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

T-Bone posted:

Huh apparently Richard Breese has a new game at Essen

Yep looks like a Richard Breese game. I like the kinda childlike art style too actually, I dunno it fits:

Those eyes are kind of freaking me out man. They all look stoned.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tekopo posted:

I found the kickstarter

Loot & Recruit

Wow, I didn't bother to check up on how they did. I feel way too positive about this whole situation.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

this lion has seen some real poo poo, you weren't there man

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Tekopo posted:

this lion has seen some real poo poo, you weren't there man

for some reason those cards remind me of innovation, must be the color and squares

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I got to play the new Game of Thrones card game a few days ago and man, Fantasy Flight has come a long way from the days of Warhammer Invasion.

It's really tightly designed. The game has a moderately involved strategic layer, a simple political layer and a pretty basic card game at its core and the pieces work together really well. I never played the original so I don't know how much is just left over from the old design, but it's both thematic and fun that you can be getting set up for a curb stomping in the card game and dodge it by out-guessing your opponent at the higher levels. It feels very much like you're scheming at all times.

It's also neat to see how well they manage spite levels in the game because GoT is spiteful as all hell and it could easily make for a nasty game of pummel-the-loser. I'm used to political games like Diplomacy or Conquest of the Empire where the first battle you lose sets off a grim downward spiral but FFG managed to make a game that both feels incredibly spiteful yet never seems to punish anyone past the point of no return. It's hard to explain, but when you're attacking you feel like you're kicking your opponent's teeth in, yet having been on the side of the kickee as well, I just felt like I was trading away pawns in the service of longer term goals. The central card game may be pretty straightforward, but it's well set up to allow hampering rather than destruction.

I was genuinely impressed.

A three player game took about an hour and a half with some fumbling around because no one knew quite what we were doing and the second one was about on par with that so it certainly isn't a short game. I didn't get a chance to play the 2 player version but it loses out on the political aspect of the game which everyone at the table loved, so I'm not sure if it's going to have Netrunner players tossing their cards away to switch over. I think it would be worth looking into for a group of 3-4 though. One core set seemed to offer plenty of gameplay.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Banana Man posted:

Hey y'all, I used to play the Werewolf ccg back when it was out, how well have that games mechanics aged? I do t even remember how it played. Think it or the vampire one would work in an lcg format?

The werewolf game your thinking of is Rage and it holds a special place in my heart because it was the first CCG I collected and I love Werewolf: The Apocalypse. The basic premise of the game is that each player controlled a Pack of Werewolves fighting for glory. Players would gather victory points by killing enemies in the Hunting Grounds or even directly killing other players' werewolves. Deck building was fun because you'd choose your pack characters then build a Sept deck based around the characters factions/abilities, then a completely separate Combat deck for fighting.

That being said, the game really needs a ground up rewrite and a very hard look taken at card design. Like Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, Rage was designed to be a multiplayer game but, unlike Vampire, was not designed by Richard Garfield and it shows. Timing rules are basically non-existent and most phases are understood to be played simultaneously. This makes house rules an inevitability as players will attempt to enforce some kind of etiquette with regards to timing. For example, there are unique cards where only one copy is allowed to exist at any time. If two players have this card in hand, it's basically who slaps it down the fastest. The only phase that really has a turn order is the Combat Phase where the Highest Renown Alpha acts first. (Ties broken randomly)

The expansion sets made the game even worse by just adding layers to the game for the sake of making it thematic, gameplay be damned. The first set, The Wyrm, added the Wyrm (antagonist) factions to the game. This would normally be cool, but they had completely different card types that were incompatible with the Gaia (protagonist) factions. For example, the Gaia factions had access to Moot Cards, which were political cards that would generate effects if they passed a vote or not. The Wyrm factions didn't have Moots, they had Board Meetings. Gaia factions couldn't vote in board meetings and Wyrm factions couldn't vote in Moots. Also, Wyrm packs didn't kill "Enemy" cards, they killed "Victims" and it was another Can/Can't interact with and vice versa scenario.

Then came The Umbra expansion, which added the spirit realm. This created a completely separate Hunting Grounds that could only be interacted with by certain characters or with the aid of other cards. When you combine these layers it's very easy to build a deck that's just plain playing a different game from the other players.

There's also the issue of individual card balance, but that can't be addressed until a better core ruleset can be established. The number of card types needs to be boiled down and for the love of god there needs to be a timing structure.

Edit: I'm not kidding. The game basically has Munchkin timing rules. There's tons of other problems with the game I could get into, but it'd be an effort post that I don't have the time for right now.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 5, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Robust Laser posted:

Pretty sure that when somebody's eliminated, they're basically out of the circle. So it's not so much A, B, C, D, and E in a circle any more, so much as A, C, and D. A can hit whoever the hell they want, because both others are both one away and two away. I think. It's been a while since I played this game.

Pretty sure, yeah. If it just says that you heal if you don't roll those, then you heal on that turn, since your final result didn't have any 1s or 2s.

These are correct. Players who are eliminated no longer count towards how far away you are from another player, so when you're down to 3 people, everyone can shoot everyone. Also, once you're down to 2 or 3 people, a 1 or a 2 can be used to shoot anyone (you're never forced to shoot yourself, funny as that would be).

Also, very easily overlooked rule: the dude who takes arrows instead of damage cannot take the last arrow in the pile instead of taking damage. It's not on the card, but is on the FAQ that comes with the game.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The excellent Let's Plays led me to order Keyflower, and it showed up today! I'm not sure when I'll actually get to play it, but I've already had a great time putting together all the little houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

Alchemists is on sale this week at 401games, anyone have an opinion on it? Looks decent but maybe fiddly and overly long?