Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Desuwa posted:

Yeah assumed she was with rapist guy (please don't go down that route) but she hasn't been mentioned by anyone oh l for something like ten side story chapters.
There were some mentions of the second princess at some point, which should be Sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think she is now married to rapist guy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Desuwa posted:

Yeah assumed she was with rapist guy (please don't go down that route) but she hasn't been mentioned by anyone for something like ten side story chapters.

Moe moe~ spiders. Would buy all figurines.

E: gently caress I'm bad at phone posting

Cynic Jester posted:

She's still taggging along with mind control rapist guy.
:yikes:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yuugo is a creep, but I doubt the story will go into unnecessarily lurid detail like most wn's.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There's probably not going to be any details at all. That only happens when it's the MC who's a rapist. If he were a regular pov character there would probably be more rape than in Re:Monster, he's a huge sociopath and the rulership of lust gives him the means as well additional inclination.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Only 3 more chapters left of the elf forest battle thankfully.

It only goes back to Kumo-chan for 7 chapters before getting sidetracked again though. :smith:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Side chapters serve a purpose, for example by evb1 we know who Kumoko is because there's enough side characters locked into place.

In ISSTH it turns out Meng Hao has found yet another rear end in a top hat cultivator trying to screw him over. I'm guessing the people who are way stronger than him will eventually kill each other fighting over him.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So I know this is mostly for translated/in-process of being translated LNs/WNs, but I'd like to suggest a series called "CopCraft Dragnet Mirage Reloaded"* authored by Shouji Gatou(FMP) and illustrated by Range Murata(Last Exile/Blue Submarine)
The best review I read of it is "It's what a Japanese person thinks an American drama is like. If Jack Bauer became enamored with a moe girl"

So, for a quick plot description:

Years ago, in San Teresa, California, a mysterious gate opened to another world, Semarni**. A world that resembles ours, but from the middle(and earlier) ages with no sense of technology, but instead uses magic. Now they've started immigrating to the US and a whole realm of crime has opened up.

*The title is usually just CopCraft, but sometimes it shows up with its subtitle included.
**It's been a month since I've had time to read the stuff, but the people are called セマーニ so I assume Semarni. There are actually some official romanizations of names, but I can't remember them right now.

Just incase you think this is something like "Immigrants are bad", it's just saying that now there's magic and magic items(like fairies) that are adding a new layer to the criminal world. The story is kind of like Lethal Weapon x Rush Hour where Kei Matoba(guy/Jack Bauer type ex-military) is Danny Glover and Tilarna Excedelika(Semarnian/a noble) is like Jackie Chan and sort of the first Semarnian on the police force(on a temporary basis) in a town that has a growing immigrant population. It's really fun, and, if you can read Japanese, you should give it a try.

It's definitely not your "Before I died, I played an MMO, but I reincarnated as a system admin level player in that MMO, and now I've also got a HAREM!?" type story.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

that sounds cool/fun

shame it isn't being translated

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sounds like an escalation of Amagi Brilliant Park.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

that sounds cool/fun

shame it isn't being translated

Is it a web novel and/or does it have a digital release? I might add that to my translation queue if I can use my auto-kanji-lookup browser plugin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I caught up with tales of demons and gods again, and it has been one heck of a ride. What does the author have against this grandpa? He hasn't done anything wrong, but essentially gets slapped in the face with a wad of bills every time he appears. Just chapter after chapter of "gently caress you grandpa, I'm rich now!". I'm starting to suspect that the author is a literal child.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus Christ, Kumoko. I'm one of those people that actually like the side story chapters but even I wasn't necessarily looking forward to 11 chapters of Elf War, but god drat if that last chapter didn't make it all worth it.

But of course, like everything else that ties the side story to Kumoko's story, there's no answers without more mysteries.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The only issue I've ever had with the side chapters is that they tend to suffer from the machine translation more than the Kumoko ones do, and I end up having a hard time keeping track of who's who--Firimes is Sensei, and Hyrinth is the half-elf, right? And while I could very easily be wrong, the 'barrier' that everyone was talking about was actually a robot army in the forest? Or did those robots just come out of nowhere?

That said, today's chapters were a hell of a payoff. Here's the chapter where Shun and Katia discuss Kumoko's identity. Can't say that I was expecting that.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It was hinted at way back and confirmed in elf village battle 1.

Hyrinth is the tank who was the only survivor from the old hero party, Anna (one of Shun's maids) is the half-elf, the barrier is made with MA energy, the robots are also powered by MA energy.

It seems like basically the world ended because people tapped the lifestream MA area for Mako MA energy and D came in and remade the world into a really messed up magical augmented reality game. There's some sort of alignment system in the game but everyone is failing whatever conditions it has and the world is slowly ending.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'll admit, I have a hard time remembering all of these names. Weren't most of these people only ever mentioned in passing?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'll admit, I have a hard time remembering all of these names. Weren't most of these people only ever mentioned in passing?

Shiro is Kumoko is Wakaba who was the silent school idol. Since she was pretty it was "cool" instead of awkward. She was unaware of her own status. Rihoko was the red herring that fit Kumoko mentioned in S1. Kyouya is a classmate missing in demon territory

Also Wakaba was dead on sensei's list because sensei is basically so below her that the skill doesn't tell poo poo or something?

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 4, 2015

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Also Wakaba was dead on sensei's list because sensei is basically so below her that the skill doesn't tell poo poo or something?
Shiro is Kumoko is Wakaba is (probably) D.

She should have "died" around the same time she underwent deification. Things that are outside the system can't be detected by the system, both Kuro and the robots are "impossible to appraise", now that she's a goddess, she's invisible to the class registrar.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Algid posted:

Shiro is Kumoko is Wakaba is (probably) D.

She should have "died" around the same time she underwent deification. Things that are outside the system can't be detected by the system, both Kuro and the robots are "impossible to appraise", now that she's a goddess, she's invisible to the class registrar.

All of the supposedly dead students are probably rulers and are now accounted for, no?. Whatever the heck that student list skill is, it can't override ruler privileges.

As for the rest, I guess I just need to check the demon war council chapters again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 4, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

The Lord of Hats posted:

The only issue I've ever had with the side chapters is that they tend to suffer from the machine translation more than the Kumoko ones do

It's probably because there's more dialog and it's being spoken by more people. A decent human translation wouldn't have large blocks of dialog between two, or more (which is when it gets truly unreadable), people talking without at least putting the speakers' names in so we can tell them apart.

I forget which novel it was but some LN translation got a lot of flack for being too literal because, in Japanese, each character had a distinct way of speaking that made it obvious who was talking that was completely lost in translation. The author had a habit of just dumping a lot of dialog between characters without breaks and the translation group was being too literal/purist/elitist to deign to edit the content to make it intelligible.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 4, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

No, Shun is a ruler and on that list I think.

kumo is an admin though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SerSpook posted:

No, Shun is a ruler and on that list I think.

I'm kind of curious why she thought they were dead, then. Kumoko eats dragons and robots, so she can't really be held to normal standards, but what about the other two?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'm kind of curious why she thought they were dead, then. Kumoko eats dragons and robots, so she can't really be held to normal standards, but what about the other two?

They weren't dead, just stuck in demon territory so unreachable I think. Basically Kumoko took them and so the Elves couldn't mess with them

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SerSpook posted:

They weren't dead, just stuck in demon territory so unreachable I think. Basically Kumoko took them and so the Elves couldn't mess with them

They might not have been physically reachable, but the student list says how and when they die. Was it just not updated after Kumoko presumably interfered with their death predictions?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Especially concerning Kumoko's identity let's be careful about spoilers for a bit.

As for the others they might really be dead, since as far as I know Wakaba was the only student that sensei thought was dead that's been confirmed as alive. Wakaba was probably the one who "died" the earliest "when she was still a baby" and I'm assuming D gave students a bit of a grace period so they couldn't get killed while they were completely unable to defend themselves. Which was never really true for Kumoko since even from her first minutes after hatching she could run away from danger.

Also on the topic of wonky translations, I missed it at first but:

Akiko: I will knock you down!?

It's Final Fantasy I all over again.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

They might not have been physically reachable, but the student list says how and when they die. Was it just not updated after Kumoko presumably interfered with their death predictions?

Some on the list were basically written off but weren't dead due to their circumstances. I am pretty sure these two were among them. Similar to how Shun and Katia couldn't be kidnapped due to their status, these two were known to be alive but they could not reach them. Way back she said that like 17 or something were accounted for, 5 were dead and 2 or 3 were lost in demon/monster territory. These two are from the last group.

I think.

Alternatively, kumo hosed with sensei's skill.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

All of the supposedly dead students are probably rulers and are now accounted for, no?. Whatever the heck that student list skill is, it can't override ruler privileges.

As for the rest, I guess I just need to check the demon war council chapters again.
Rulers are still within the system, it's not clear how they interact with the roster, she just thinks that that's why Shun and Katia are still alive. It's definitely not as simple as just having it somehow making the person immune to prophecy, Hugo is very dead after all.

It's not clear what's going on with the other 3 dead students, simplest explanation is that they're just dead. D did meddle quite a bit it seems, but they were still all born in a very dangerous world.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

are there any light novels left that arent mmos

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Namtab posted:

I assume yes, but the people posting in this thread aren't particularly inclined to read things in the vein of "I Was An Ordinary High School Student But Now I'm A Light Novel Protagonist And The Entire Premise Is Spelled Out In The Title?! (And Also My Sister Is Part Of My Harem?!)"

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

spice and wolf 16 comes out in december

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

I assume yes, but the people posting in this thread aren't particularly inclined to read things in the vein of "I Was An Ordinary High School Student But Now I'm A Light Novel Protagonist And The Entire Premise Is Spelled Out In The Title?! (And Also My Sister Is Part Of My Harem?!)"

Cynic Jester posted:

She's still taggging along with mind control rapist guy.

Hmmmmmm

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah I can see a huge difference in quality

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Linnaeus posted:

spice and wolf 16 comes out in december

Good

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

No, but seriously, is there an ebook of that "Cop-Craft DRAGNET MIRAGE RELOADED" thing? It looks awesome based on its Wikipedia page and I'd be down for translating it, but if I have to look up unknown kanji manually instead of waving my mouse over them, my pace is going to be glacial.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

blastron posted:

Is it a web novel and/or does it have a digital release? I might add that to my translation queue if I can use my auto-kanji-lookup browser plugin.

Copcraft? Yes, kind of.
You can get the Kindle version here: コップクラフト
I'd say...it's probably -easier- than an FF game, harder than your average HS story, much easier than any Nasu work.(Not much shellfish here)
Also, fun note, it's actually got quite a bit of American popculture references in there, like 90210 and X-Files. So it feels much more 'real' than some other stuff

Namtab posted:

Yes, but the popular ones are those
Though the gatari series released something recently and Okitegami Kyouko(HS detective) series is still going well
If you meant "non-HS LNs", well, lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No one talks about the really terrible stuff here, because most of that is just boring and dumb.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Well there are some stories about being reincarnated in a dating-sim instead of an mmo. Not only that but it seems there is a sub-genre where the main character is instead the rival to the main character. Time for more Light/Web Novel Titles that explain the premise!

Destruction Flag Otome: Dense tomboy becomes the rival, trying to avoid the canon endings where her character's social life is ruined somehow makes every love interest fall in love with her.

An Otome Game’s Burikko Villainess Turned into a Magic Otaku: Same deal, nice girl is reincarnated as the rival for one of the love interest's affection but she tries to forget about all that and just pursue the mysteries of magic instead

The Villainous Lady Aims to Overthrow the Heroine:the villainous lady recalled her previous life’s knowledge and her personality did a 180, now she is like the protagonist of some generic shounen battle manga. Listen to her, “Like I’ll just sit around and give in just because of that! I’m definitely not going to accept it! If I get serious, I’m definitely going to win! Just watch, my eternal rival! I’ll beat you in everything, looks and popularity!”.

I'll just copy/paste the summaries cuz I'm too lazy to summarize them myself:

It seems like I got reincarnated into the world of a Yandere Otome game: “I am the heroine’s rival from the game? And I get stabbed to death in the bad ending? What a joke” In which the protagonist is determined to avoid the yanderes surrounding her.

The Reincarnated Princess Strikes Down Flags Again Today: I was reborn as a princess in the world of an otome game with memories of my previous life.
Wait, what? I’m the Heroine’s love rival? You’re kidding! I have no intention of falling in love with any of those pathetic guys, because the one I like is a support character, the Commander of the Royal Knights.
Except the Heroine—after being reincarnated in this lovely game where the support characters are way better than the love interests—is threatening to bring down my own life with flags, and I am determined to strike them down.

I, the Demon King, have become a noble girl villainess? Hah, what a joke: I am the female Demon King. ……Or was, in my previous life. Now, I’m a human noble girl known as Rosewood Angelique. My fiance, Heath, has been indifferent to me lately. Just as I was thinking about why this would be, I recovered fragments of my life’s memories before my previous life, that had helped me in the previous life as well. This is a romance story from my previous world, and I’ve been reincarnated as the noble girl villainess in the story.

Kenkyo, kenjitsu o motto ni ikitie orimasu!(not sure what the translated title is):

Five-year old Kishouin Reika discovers she has memories of her past life! Always pondering why her own name sounded so familiar to her when she was reborn, Reika finally remembers on her first day of elementary school! [Suiran Elementary School], the school, and her name were from a series called [You Are My Dolce].

It was a extremely popular Shoujo series in her past life, to the point where it was even made into a live action drama! The series starts out when the protagonist, a commoner girl enrolls as a special student into the prestigious [ Suiran Private High School ], where only the children of wealthy families attend. The commoner girl falls in love with the most popular boy in the school known as The Emperor, and becomes the target of severe bullying around the school, and the culprit of the malicious bullying was the character [Kishouin Reika], who served as the main antagonist of the series. [Kishouin Reika], in the series is the typical archetype of a rich girl antagonist. She was spoiled, vain, malicious and lacking remorse! By the end of the series [Kishouin Reika] gets her ‘just desserts’ when The Emperor cancels the forced engagement she had with him by declaring his love for the protagonist as well as seizing all of the Kishouin Company stocks, and exposing her father’s illegalities and corruption.

To her woe, Reika finds she had been reborn as that [Kishouin Reika]! Disillusioned and terrified by her inevitable demise, Reika swears to become the most unassuming, polite, and agreeable girl anyone could ever meet. Find out Reika’s adventures as she tries to prevent her fall!

I don't know how this trend got started but I am eating these stories up.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

macfam posted:

I, the Demon King, have become a noble girl villainess? Hah, what a joke

Immediately googles this. Good. Good, this is translated. Good

Edit: actually, it was aggressively boring.

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 5, 2015

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I've read most of the first 2 in that list (they seem to be the ones with the most translated chapters). The premise is still based on reincarnation and video games, there's also wish fulfillment in that the MC can metagame their life since in at least some of these they know the storyline of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Here are some pictures of a cute spider, I can only hope for more fanart once the light novel comes out, and then the high budget anime, and then people will dress like spiders and want to be spiders. It is only a matter of time until the spider agenda will dominate the world. Er, forget about that last part and just look at the pretty drawings.

• Locked thread