Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I guess this is the right thread for it, but Japan finally has a name for their Super Rugby team, the Sunwolves. Thoughts?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/72724796/japanese-super-rugby-team-to-be-called-the-sunwolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Have they actually got any players yet?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Not that I know of. No coach either as far as I can tell.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Hooper cited.
http://goo.gl/FcjrI7.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

I thought he was lucky not be yellow carded at the time, so not surprised by that. Can't see it being enough to rule him out of Saturday's game though, which is good: I really just want to see him play.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

fallingdownjoe posted:

I thought he was lucky not be yellow carded at the time, so not surprised by that. Can't see it being enough to rule him out of Saturday's game though, which is good: I really just want to see him play.

Maybe he'll just get a warning like Tom Wood (for the kick to Liam Williams) and Sam Burgess (for his high tackle) received?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

stavros880 posted:

Maybe he'll just get a warning like Tom Wood (for the kick to Liam Williams) and Sam Burgess (for his high tackle) received?

The northern hemisphere needs revenge for Australia making them look dumb

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Byolante posted:

To be fair, the citing commissioner is from New Zealand, so it's not just northern hemisphere sour grapes.
Also, Australia haven't made Wales look dumb so far this year. That happens on Saturday :(

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Byolante posted:

Please don't make the same mistake as the English media and assume that all northern hemisphere sides and supporters are behind England. There are plenty of us who are more than happy that the wheels fell off that drat chariot so quickly.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

HappyCamperGL posted:

I would be very surprised if one of them is not named Ayumu Goromaru

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

stavros880 posted:

I'd be surprised if it wasn't: I don't think it was any worse than either of them, and less than the Nadolo Suplex.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

I would be very surprised if one of them is not named Ayumu Goromaru
I can definitely assure you that at least one of them will not be named Ayumu Goromaru. Prepare to be surprised.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is he being poached?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Byolante posted:

Lol much the opposite

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Frazzbo posted:

Please don't make the same mistake as the English media and assume that all northern hemisphere sides and supporters are behind England. There are plenty of us who are more than happy that the wheels fell off that drat chariot so quickly.

Everyone hates us. We get it. Don't worry

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Lol much the opposite

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
When it rains it pours....

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_...efeat-australia

quote:

World Rugby is investigating England's coaching staff for a breach of rules during Saturday's defeat to Australia.

It is understood the pair spoke to match officials in the tunnel at Twickenham as the teams left the field for the half-time break, with England trailing 17-3 in a match they would go on to lose 33-13, ensuring an early exit from the World Cup.

Rugby's governing body say they are looking into an "alleged breach of the match-day communications protocol between match officials and team members or union officials during the Rugby World Cup 2015 Pool A match between England and Australia at Twickenham on 3 October".

The statement added: "The protocol prohibits certain conduct on match days including coaches approaching match officials during a match or at halftime during a match."

It is believed there is CCTV footage available of the position in the tunnel where the alleged incident took place and this may be used as part of any investigation. Approaching match officials in such circumstances is strictly outlawed.

lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Byolante posted:

northern hemisphere supremacy

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

BabyFur Denny posted:

I can definitely assure you that at least one of them will not be named Ayumu Goromaru. Prepare to be surprised.

My guess would be a big French club?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Hmmm. Has to have been Rowntree and Farrell?

Stephen Jones has went into full Lord Bald overdrive in the times, it's hilarious and glorious, do read it.

Highlights:

quote:

Many people still have no idea how special a man Woodward is and it would be no exaggeration to say that England’s ghastly reluctance to honour him and to recognise his matchless achievements has cost them up to three World Cups and a great deal of their global standing

That doesn't even deserve words.

quote:

great players usually kept in the realms of outer darkness — Messrs Cipriani, Attwood, Delon and Steffon Armitage, James Haskell, Luther Burrell, Alex Goode

Cipriani???! Haskell?? :lol::lol::lol: I remember him recently bumbling around super rugby like some twerp fresh out a gym who didn't have a clue where to put his head in, what/where/when the breakdown was, and was genuinely afraid of taking a hit. Let's not even talk about his supposed ball skills. The man's a conditioning coach, not a rugby player.

quote:

Lancaster, like every coach in every era, promised a bold England style, playing to an overall structure but then with the players given licence to leap off and use their talents and individual judgments to attack.

This is true, but actually avoids addressing what made England successful in the past - the rules that allowed their old structures to be so dominant have changed, and England haven't. Meanwhile, they've tried to play SH rugby in the backs without any of the flair or ball handling skills that would allow them to do so. Complaining about under/over coached backs is pointless - they haven't got the cattle for the pens they're trying to fill. England revert to boring rugby when they're successful because it is what makes them successful (ie. it is low-skill based), but because they haven't adjusted to post-2003 rule changes, they're nowhere near as good at it as they once were.

quote:

if the best player in England is 40 years old, they should pick him

But what if he plays for Toulon? Or just retired from Toulon??? Jonny!!!!?

quote:

But a few drinks? A late-night escapade or two? A blast in the press that was not media-managed? Those are surely the small price you pay for men of character, colour, authority and individuality.

England of 2015 were conformist, and an amorphous lump of white.

Big lumps of white never did Dallaglio any harm.

Remember folks, ENGLAND EXPECTS.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Lmao yeah cause Woodward's Blairite management techniques and the inclusion of Danny Cipriani and the Armitage bro's would've fixed everything.

Across football rugby and cricket England have failed to get through the groups in 3 World Cups. Maybe Ser Clive can coach all 3 teams at once? Imagine the winning he'd do!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
All 3 sports invented by England, btw.

goatface posted:

Is he being poached?

Vaders Jester posted:

My guess would be a big French club?

No, he was just making fun of me for writing the sentence backwards.

I was saying, I would be surprised if Ayumu Goromaru is not included in the Sunwolves Super Rugby SupeRugby roster.

But now I can't help wondering if he might actually be poached by a French club, like how in the US we hire away the best baseballers from Japan.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, if Goromaru isn't in the new Sunwolves (great name) team then he's going to get offered a big contract from someone and it's usually the French that have the cash to throw around.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Japanese teams pay loads, don't they? I imagine a French team would need to throw an awful lot of money if that's all they can offer.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Goromaru is a hell of a player

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

The JRFU submitted a prospective list of players just before the deadline a couple of months ago, but it's basically going to be a mostly Japanese Top League all-stars team, with a small number of Japan-based foreign players, so presumably the likes of Nick Cummins, Liam Messam, Heinrich Brussow, Fourie du Preez and Richard Kahui.

goatface posted:

Japanese teams pay loads, don't they? I imagine a French team would need to throw an awful lot of money if that's all they can offer.

Depends on the team, but the likes of Suntory, Panasonic and Toyota are paying silly money. For example, Sonny Bill Williams was paid 7 figures to play one season with Panasonic a couple of years ago.
The competition is relatively short as well, only running from 3 to 4 months a year (the upcoming season will run from the 13th of November this year and ends on the 24th of January next year). It is basically ideal for players like Richard Kahui, who are very injury-prone, and it helped Jerome Kaino as a player, as his two years in Japan with Toyota allowed him the downtime to get over various injuries he was carrying and get some playing time in.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

I assume on top of the money they can offer, a chance to play with a top European club like Toulon is a huge draw for some players.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

Hmmm. Has to have been Rowntree and Farrell?

Stephen Jones has went into full Lord Bald overdrive in the times, it's hilarious and glorious, do read it.

Highlights:

That doesn't even deserve words.

Cipriani???! Haskell?? :lol::lol::lol: I remember him recently bumbling around super rugby like some twerp fresh out a gym who didn't have a clue where to put his head in, what/where/when the breakdown was, and was genuinely afraid of taking a hit. Let's not even talk about his supposed ball skills. The man's a conditioning coach, not a rugby player.

This is true, but actually avoids addressing what made England successful in the past - the rules that allowed their old structures to be so dominant have changed, and England haven't. Meanwhile, they've tried to play SH rugby in the backs without any of the flair or ball handling skills that would allow them to do so. Complaining about under/over coached backs is pointless - they haven't got the cattle for the pens they're trying to fill. England revert to boring rugby when they're successful because it is what makes them successful (ie. it is low-skill based), but because they haven't adjusted to post-2003 rule changes, they're nowhere near as good at it as they once were.

But what if he plays for Toulon? Or just retired from Toulon??? Jonny!!!!?

Big lumps of white never did Dallaglio any harm.

Remember folks, ENGLAND EXPECTS.

Doesn't mention that he dislikes rugby league so not the "Full Jones"

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

The Clit Avoider posted:

Cipriani???! Haskell?? :lol::lol::lol: I remember him recently bumbling around super rugby like some twerp fresh out a gym who didn't have a clue where to put his head in, what/where/when the breakdown was, and was genuinely afraid of taking a hit. Let's not even talk about his supposed ball skills. The man's a conditioning coach, not a rugby player

Nothing makes a player world class like non selection.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Painkiller posted:

Nothing makes a player world class like non selection.

That's an awesome phrase.

I've got to say, until the end of the six nations England looked like they had an outside chance of winning (remote! but still possible). After the warmup games I was under no illusions; the pack was the most important part of England's wins over the last four years and they were beasted by France twice. I'd love to know what they did differently over the summer; whatever it was it'll be useful for other coaches to avoid.

As for selections, I think it was a combination of factors; some selections were questionable, but when compared against what they replaced became egregious. Burrell was never fantastic, but picking Burgess ahead of him was insane. Then you get into the team selections: not giving Slade a run-out despite being the best centre in the warm-ups, dropping Ford despite him being the lynchpin for the past year, Burgess on the bench despite Nowell being able to cover 12-15, Baritt in the game when tries are needed, Farrell being shunted to 12 where he's worse than a lock-forward.....

Lancaster should resign, but I think the RFU will have to sack him. Considering he's contracted for five more years I'd expect him to hold on for the payout. Incidentally, why do contracts get renewed before career defining competitions? The same thing happened with Eddie O'Sullivan.

Plucky Brit fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 6, 2015

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I expect Lancaster to turn up tot he next press conference in a kilt with full blue facepaint and declare that he was a Scottish plant all the time.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know if they'll fire him.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

goatface posted:

Kind of beaten, but yeah, they do. However, it's important to remember that Top League teams are directly owned but massive corporations with very deep pockets. I don't know what the ownership situation is like with the Sunwolves, but it could be quite different so there might not be as much money available.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Plucky Brit posted:

That's an awesome phrase.

I've got to say, until the end of the six nations England looked like they had an outside chance of winning (remote! but still possible). After the warmup games I was under no illusions; the pack was the most important part of England's wins over the last four years and they were beasted by France twice. I'd love to know what they did differently over the summer; whatever it was it'll be useful for other coaches to avoid.

As for selections, I think it was a combination of factors; some selections were questionable, but when compared against what they replaced became egregious. Burrell was never fantastic, but picking Burgess ahead of him was insane. Then you get into the team selections: not giving Slade a run-out despite being the best centre in the warm-ups, dropping Ford despite him being the lynchpin for the past year, Burgess on the bench despite Nowell being able to cover 12-15, Baritt in the game when tries are needed, Farrell being shunted to 12 where he's worse than a lock-forward.....

Lancaster should resign, but I think the RFU will have to sack him. Considering he's contracted for five more years I'd expect him to hold on for the payout. Incidentally, why do contracts get renewed before career defining competitions? The same thing happened with Eddie O'Sullivan.

Apparently there are some break clauses in the contract so they'll not be on the hook for the full five years, just one or two.

I think he'll walk. Won't matter so long as Andrew and that other guy keep hiring morons and excluding the best players.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I wonder what the over/under is on Farrell moving upto Number 1?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Oh my loving God he's starting with the Ford Farrell 10-12 partnership against Uruguay.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
:siren: Hooper suspended for one week :siren:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is that a 'not allowed to play' suspension, or a 'not allowed to play and train with the side or any other side' suspension?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

hitchensgoespop posted:

I wonder what the over/under is on Farrell moving upto Number 1?

7!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

goatface posted:

Is that a 'not allowed to play' suspension, or a 'not allowed to play and train with the side or any other side' suspension?

I went to check the rules, and it isn't actually specified. However, I was delighted to discover that over a quarter of the entire Rugby World Cup Rulebook is dedicated to in-depth instructions on how to hold a Penalty Kick contest :

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/tournament-rules

It's much less interesting than the Heineken Cup ruleset :{