Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hey yeah, you can't go ten seconds in Power space without someone interdicting you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cruising around in my sweet cherry-red Cobra, and realize that I'm complete poo poo in combat. I suck at FA flying, I suck at staying behind an enemy, and I suck at keeping enemies off my tail. That said, what is a good load out for a Cobra weapon wise? Should I go with the Plasma Accelerator on my medium slot? I noticed that holding down the fire button steadily on a Vulture does nothing to it's shields, but that could be because I'm only using a combination of beam/pulse lasers. Should I get some cannons or the PA? And can someone provide one or two lines of text that once I read it i'll become better at flying? I'm really loving good at docking and what not, but dog fighting and FA shenanigans fucks me up. TIA!

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

I forgot just how much of a pain in the dick the map screen is to use with the DK2.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Those Type9s are pretty big.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Yep, that's why they can haul a literal half megaton of biowaste.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
It is literally a warehouse with engines and a cockpit slapped on

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
For those doubting Frontier: It's confirmed, 1.4, CQC and X-Box launch is coming tomorrow morning.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Dang where the official patchnotes @

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

My previous go to spacegame was Evochron and it had no restrictions, you could accelerate as much as you want in any direction and keep adding to your velocity. Combats usually became jousts with ships speeding by at several km/s trying to land as many hits as possible as they streak past each other.

I prefer it the way ED does it. Sacrifice realistic physics for more enjoyable combat.
Braben and co. actually learnt that the hard way: Frontier (the Amiga game) had a pure Newtonian flight model and it was pretty much what you said there - highly exaggerated elliptical orbits where you and the enemy played chicken when armed with lasers.

Of course that wasn't what was supposed to happen; the idea was that you shut down your main drive and switched to thrusters where the combat was then basically "flight assist off" mode (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGNlrurPOgg) but you were never actually shown or told that anywhere. So you'd go flying off at max thrust while trying to bring the enemy into your sights and then they'd have to do the same and it ended up with a joust as mentioned.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah it's funny that as soon as someone explained that to me it made perfect sense - after all, almost all of those sorts of fights in Frontier were initiated by enemy ships, and if the enemy is able to intercept you in any meaningful way then they have to be moving at least at a similar velocity, otherwise they wouldn't really be able to interact with you at all, so by turning off your engines and just using thrusters you're essentially setting your initial velocity as a new inertial frame which means you can have a perfectly good spaceship fight without jousting even though you're all moving at thousands of kilometers per second in a single direction (of course this is always true in some sense in space which kind of makes my point)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This is NOT the one with Multi-crew, right? Thats the Horizons expansion?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yes, although we don't know exactly when it'll be in. Horizons is a season pass kinda deal, so it could be this time next year before we see any multicrew stuff (not saying that'll definitely be the case, but there's the possibility).

The headline feature is planetary landings, so it's a safe bet that'll be in first.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Quick question; the loyalty discount means the season 2 expansion is $45. Does that still apply? When does the offer expire?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

According to this post it's available "until shortly after launch".

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So, I had no idea that this was out(-ish) on Xbone. And it seems like the preview/early access basically is the entire game, which is rad.

Few questions though.

1) What's the flight assist toggle button on Xbone, if any?
2) How big of a damage dropoff is there between turrets and gimbals? I'm poo poo at aiming manually, so I need the auto-aim/tracking support. I'd rather have the full firing arc of a turret if possible, at least on hardpoints that make sense for it, but not if the damage dropoff is going to be atrociously bad.
3) Burst lasers - if I have the power draw to fit them instead of pulses, should I do so? I like pew-pew over bang bang, so multi-cannons are thematically out for me. (May re-address when I have something with more hardpoints than my viper).
4) How can I see enemy's hull damage percent? Do I have to go through their subsystems on the left hand MFD?
5) Any recommendations on where I should go? I've been pooping about in the general vicinity of the starting sector. But I'm not hurting too badly for credits (I have around 900k invested in my ship/modules, and another couple hundred in the bank from slave-trading) so I don't mind packing up and trekking out someplace.
6) I was doing a "Find and kill person X" mission. I had no idea that you have to search through unidentified signal sources to find them. I eventually somehow randomly found my target while in supercruise, but botched my exit and missed them. They took off running and haven't left supercruise since. I don't have a FSD interdictor module. Is there anything I can do?
7) As I mentioned, I'm in a Viper. Most of my gear is upgraded into the C/B range. Does it make sense for me to go to a Cobra next? Or should I stick with what I've got, and hurdle past a Cobra to whatever comes next afterwards...

If it helps, I pretty much exclusively do PVE content and have minimal interest in PvP. I pretty much hang out at nav beacons and collect bounties, interspersed with smuggling illegal cargo because that poo poo is hilarious and pays well.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Leif. posted:

So, I had no idea that this was out(-ish) on Xbone. And it seems like the preview/early access basically is the entire game, which is rad.

Few questions though.

2) How big of a damage dropoff is there between turrets and gimbals? I'm poo poo at aiming manually, so I need the auto-aim/tracking support. I'd rather have the full firing arc of a turret if possible, at least on hardpoints that make sense for it, but not if the damage dropoff is going to be atrociously bad.
3) Burst lasers - if I have the power draw to fit them instead of pulses, should I do so? I like pew-pew over bang bang, so multi-cannons are thematically out for me. (May re-address when I have something with more hardpoints than my viper).
4) How can I see enemy's hull damage percent? Do I have to go through their subsystems on the left hand MFD?
5) Any recommendations on where I should go? I've been pooping about in the general vicinity of the starting sector. But I'm not hurting too badly for credits (I have around 900k invested in my ship/modules, and another couple hundred in the bank from slave-trading) so I don't mind packing up and trekking out someplace.
6) I was doing a "Find and kill person X" mission. I had no idea that you have to search through unidentified signal sources to find them. I eventually somehow randomly found my target while in supercruise, but botched my exit and missed them. They took off running and haven't left supercruise since. I don't have a FSD interdictor module. Is there anything I can do?
7) As I mentioned, I'm in a Viper. Most of my gear is upgraded into the C/B range. Does it make sense for me to go to a Cobra next? Or should I stick with what I've got, and hurdle past a Cobra to whatever comes next afterwards...

If it helps, I pretty much exclusively do PVE content and have minimal interest in PvP. I pretty much hang out at nav beacons and collect bounties, interspersed with smuggling illegal cargo because that poo poo is hilarious and pays well.

2) The DPS is roughly halved, I believe. Damage per shot is still the same, they just fire roughly half as often. It's pretty bad

3) Pulse lasers have the highest penetration, but bursts do more hull damage. I find that it's almost never worth taking bursts because of their power drain. E: penetration is important because you almost always want to shoot at an enemy ship's power plant since up until now, 0% health on a power plant will make any ship explode. Starting in 1.4 it will instead shut down systems with a small chance of explosion, but it's still the best subsystem to target.

4) Should be right there on the hud, see http://i.imgur.com/tcJ1l26.jpg, on the left hand side, to the right of the NPC's name.

5) Even on XBone, you can help goons with our faction, see the PGS thread for more details. Otherwise, most areas of space are the same, nothing stands out from the starter areas in a 'make more money' sense. Maybe there are better mining sites elsewhere, or whatever, but they're scattered more or less all over.

6) Your assassination target will keep respawning at signal sources and supercruise until you kill them. You should consider buying an interdictor, it'll make assassination missions go by much faster.

7) A cobra is a multipurpose, your viper is a combat ship. The cobra will be a step down in shield toughness, but it is the fastest ship in the game, has plenty of power to power everything, great jump range, and awesome internal slots. They don't perform similar roles tho. If it helps, check out Coriolis to get a preview of what you can do with your future purchases.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 6, 2015

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah it's funny that as soon as someone explained that to me it made perfect sense - after all, almost all of those sorts of fights in Frontier were initiated by enemy ships, and if the enemy is able to intercept you in any meaningful way then they have to be moving at least at a similar velocity, otherwise they wouldn't really be able to interact with you at all, so by turning off your engines and just using thrusters you're essentially setting your initial velocity as a new inertial frame which means you can have a perfectly good spaceship fight without jousting even though you're all moving at thousands of kilometers per second in a single direction (of course this is always true in some sense in space which kind of makes my point)

Yep, pretty much. I played that game for years in the 90's without understanding that. At first, I just paused and selected the enemy ship, then clicked the autopilot button. This brought it in my sights, but one out of three times I collided.

After a year or so, I learned to pause, select the ship and use my super duper quickshot joystick to move around. I distinctly remember killing at least 3 joysticks by playing this game. As well as dozens of suction cups. In the end, I simply used a vise to keep the joystick in my desk, whether it wanted to stay there or not. :sparkles:

I had to wait until youtube and 2005 to learn how to fly in that loving game..

btw...isinona (yeah...who else, and now you know from where he learned to fly on fa-off) made a good tutorial for it a couple of years ago. He was only like 20 years late or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UMIbdN0UFE

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 6, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Apparently some people have not been behaving in IRC, but do feel free to ask about merit grinding and such there, ping me if you must. I also have a powerplay/merit guide in the second post, but you really want somebody to wing with and IRC is the place to do that.

The channel hasn't been annexed by the minor faction people despite what they would like you to believe.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Bought a Cobra

Not terrible impressed

Only fought targets that would have been just as easy as a Viper so I haven't really enjoyed the extra armor

150 cr for 'Winder kills needs to gently caress off even if that's a 5 second fight

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
We should petition :frontear: to add graffiti guns.

Then we could go to any station sneak up and spray "Big Harry Was Ere" on every station. Leave our mark where ever we go.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Dante80 posted:

Yep, pretty much. I played that game for years in the 90's without understanding that. At first, I just paused and selected the enemy ship, then clicked the autopilot button. This brought it in my sights, but one out of three times I collided.

After a year or so, I learned to pause, select the ship and use my super duper quickshot joystick to move around.

That's me blown away. I never realised that was possible, my solution was get the biggest ship in the game. Panther clipper, I think, bung a plasma accelerator in the top and bottom turrets and kill the hostile ship before it's ai kamikazed into me.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Who hasn't been behaving in IRC?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=188174&p=2897932

EDIT: gently caress it, it's a long list. Frontier continues to deliver the lists.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 6, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
The best part about Elite patches :allears:

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Update is up on Steam. 1.6 gb.

And a warm welcome to our new XBONE friends.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Don't think player factions are going live just yet. There's no mention of it in the notes unless I'm searching for the wrong phrase

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Really hoping that the patchnotes just aren't all there, because there's no mention of prospectors being improved either, which was one of the big changes I was looking forward to.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
Quick question: the OP specifically discourages buying Saitek products but the Saitek X-55 Rhino looks like a really good deal. What kind of issues were people experiencing with it? Are there concerns with longevity? Is the firmware garbage? Is it a driver problem?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kryopsis posted:

Quick question: the OP specifically discourages buying Saitek products but the Saitek X-55 Rhino looks like a really good deal. What kind of issues were people experiencing with it? Are there concerns with longevity? Is the firmware garbage? Is it a driver problem?

The build quality is poo poo, and people routinely replace them. CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle are my favorites. They're built by a company who hasn't changed the design in years and is better known for making industrial equipment.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

At the start they had some quality control issues, a good proportion of the units they shipped were faulty (I got 3 knackered ones in a row).

This is personal opinion, but apart from the above, I don't think the build quality in general really reflects the price. All the ones I had were just thrown together, something you'd expect from a budget product.

They do feel/look great on the outside though, and maybe they've ironed out their issues by now. :shrug:

^^^I see I'm not the only one who thinks this way!^^^

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Leif. posted:

Depending on your control scheme, hold Y or A until the menu comes up and it is right bumper I believe. For me, I'm using whatever the game defaults to, which I can't remember if it's "default" or "classic" but A is my targeting menu and Y is more of the navigation stuff. Y+right bumper is flight control. You don't actually have to hold the button until the menu shows up, but I would do it until you get used to what is in each menu.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arach posted:

I downloaded it on the xbone and went through all the training, but can't access the main game. The update should be done soon I'm guessing.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Kryopsis posted:

Mine's been fine for about a year now. You really don't need all the buttons, as fun as forgetting which toggle is for chaff and which is dump cargo can be, so don't worry that the x52 might not be enough.

The only thing I'd like is a software option to disable it entirely so it doesn't conflict with the xbox 360 controller. (is there one?)

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

AndroidHub posted:

Really hoping that the patchnotes just aren't all there, because there's no mention of prospectors being improved either, which was one of the big changes I was looking forward to.

Same. I will be pissed otherwise!

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The build quality is poo poo, and people routinely replace them. CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle are my favorites. They're built by a company who hasn't changed the design in years and is better known for making industrial equipment.

Thanks, the CH Fighterstick was my second choice, actually: I've been using my Logitech G13 ever since I started playing Elite and I'm not sure I'm willing to trade this for a throttle at this point. I see people use decade-old CH stuff so looks like longevity is definitely not a problem. Is it worth checking Craigslist/Kijiji for these things or is getting one brand new a really big deal? The Canadian prices are not very good the current exchange rate is terrible.

Kryopsis fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 6, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Romes128 posted:

I downloaded it on the xbone and went through all the training, but can't access the main game. The update should be done soon I'm guessing.
The servers are still being upgraded. They took them down at 8am, and said it could take up to 6 hours, so it shouldn't be too long now.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

The servers are still being upgraded. They took them down at 8am, and said it could take up to 6 hours, so it shouldn't be too long now.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/

Awesome. Thanks.

I used to play X3AP with an X52, but I really need to upgrade my computer to run ED at max settings, so I downloaded it for the xbone. Spaceship controls on a controller take some getting used to. It takes me like 5 minutes to dock.

Edit
Disabling yaw into roll helped a lot.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 6, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Arach posted:

Xbone players are playing on the same servers as us?

Poor bastards.

Has anyone ever had CTD issues with the game when trying to run ReShade or SweetFX through EDFX? I was good until I got out of the station (Assumption) and as I turned back around to dock I went straight to desktop. Not sure if shaders or game. Going to troubleshoot and see if I can get it to happen again tonight.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kryopsis posted:

I've had a x52 pro since Elite's release and in the last 3-4 months I've started having issues with the throttle:

> HAT key right stopped working unless the throttle is in the 60-100% position

> Something wrong with the limiter and now it won't even go into the fully forward position

Is the 360 controller going to be fully supported for the PC version now? I'd rather switch to that than go back to KB&M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LCL-Dead posted:

Xbone players are playing on the same servers as us?

Poor bastards.
They share the galaxy servers, but they won't get instanced with us.

• Locked thread