Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

CHER

They say we're young and we don't know.
         We won't find out until we grow.
           ♪

NICK DIAZ

♪        Well I don't know if all that's true
              'Cause you got me
[Nick begins staring off to the side of the camera] up here like some kind of caged animal or whatever, it's like, i'm up here for this bullshit again being prodded for their amusement in their little kangaroo court with their microphones and people where i'm from don't do that poo poo, so it kind of puts me at a disadvantage having to come here, you know if we coulda done this in lodi where i know where the whole foods is and how to get around it might be different

No matter how hard I try
You keep pushing me aside
And I can't break through
There's no talking to you

- literally anyone responsible for communicating with Nick Diaz in any official capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Triticum Guzzler posted:

CHER

♪

NICK DIAZ

'Cause you got me
[Nick begins staring off to the side of the camera] up here like some kind of caged animal or whatever, it's like, i'm up here for this bullshit again being prodded for their amusement in their little kangaroo court with their microphones and people where i'm from don't do that poo poo, so it kind of puts me at a disadvantage having to come here, you know if we coulda done this in lodi where i know where the whole foods is and how to get around it might be different

This has a nice beat, I like it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Diaz got a 5 year suspension for pissing off the commission and lying to them twice. Not because NSAC hates weed.

Still a completely bullshit and arbitrary suspension. Esp with the fact that the commission refuses to explore the possibility that their drug test failed.

E: I tried to come with some cher lyrics to help run this poo poo into the ground but I got distracted thinking about the tattoos on her butt. Lady has an rear end an MMA fan can appreciate.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the only asses in mma are the extremely large samoan one that crushed wanderlei silva and tyson griffin's because joe rogan wanted to kiss it

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Triticum Guzzler posted:

CHER

♪

NICK DIAZ

'Cause you got me

I'm in the, back of the courtroom being
prodded for amusement
by the NSAC kangaroo court
Whole system holds me down
Giving me reasons to frown
I just want to call them a bunch of dorks

Top of the World

EDIT gently caress that was the Carpenters, oh well

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Thank you

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
The NSAC hosed up big time and they're going to pay.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marching Powder posted:

round 3 was a very good round, and up until the fifth minute was a dc round, but it was competitive. definitely not the one-sided beating the gdt made out and the knee / punch combo knockdown absolutely sealed it for gus and this is not ambiguous.

It's very hard to win a round if you lost 4 minutes of it. In fact I would say the opponent would literally have to have been saved by the bell to pull it off. That wasn't the case here IIRC.

Edit: Gus will continue to keep losing close decisions like the Jones and DC fights if he keeps turning his back and running away multiple times in the fight, and I'm cool with that. Also Gus sat back and did nothing for the last 20 seconds of the fourth and fifth even though he was the guy who needed to put a stamp on the rounds. He practically threw it away.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 5, 2015

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

tesilential posted:

It's very hard to win a round if you lost 4 minutes of it. In fact I would say the opponent would literally have to have been saved by the bell to pull it off. That wasn't the case here IIRC.

Edit: Gus will continue to keep losing close decisions like the Jones and DC fights if he keeps turning his back and running away multiple times in the fight, and I'm cool with that. Also Gus sat back and did nothing for the last 20 seconds of the fourth and fifth even though he was the guy who needed to put a stamp on the rounds. He practically threw it away.

Thats really what was winning DC the championship rounds, he was always pushing forward and always at least attempting to put a stamp on the end of the round.

So the judge that scored it for Gus gave him Round 2, 3, 4. I can see giving 3 to Gus. Even though Gus got 6 more significant strikes (Gus was outstruck in all ways in every other round) in Round 4 he also spent a poo poo ton of that round turning his back on DC and running away, and DC turned it up at the end of the round. As for 2, the judge clearly put a lot of weight into the takedown Gus had as everything else in that round was equal otherwise and the takedown he did get DC immediately stood up from so I can also see why the other judges didn't see much in it. In terms of control in round 2 Gustaffson had 26 seconds vs DC having 25 so should the takedown make any difference on the cards, I don't know.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

Thats really what was winning DC the championship rounds, he was always pushing forward and always at least attempting to put a stamp on the end of the round.

So the judge that scored it for Gus gave him Round 2, 3, 4. I can see giving 3 to Gus. Even though Gus got 6 more significant strikes (Gus was outstruck in all ways in every other round) in Round 4 he also spent a poo poo ton of that round turning his back on DC and running away, and DC turned it up at the end of the round. As for 2, the judge clearly put a lot of weight into the takedown Gus had as everything else in that round was equal otherwise and the takedown he did get DC immediately stood up from so I can also see why the other judges didn't see much in it. In terms of control in round 2 Gustaffson had 26 seconds vs DC having 25 so should the takedown make any difference on the cards, I don't know.

All three judges gave Gus 2.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Sprecherscrow posted:

All three judges gave Gus 2.

You're not wrong there, its definitely a very interesting score card to look over and think about.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Triticum Guzzler posted:

CHER

♪

NICK DIAZ

'Cause you got me

lol

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

You're not wrong there, its definitely a very interesting score card to look over and think about.

Yeah it is, especially interesting is that 3rd round. DC mostly wins and then nearly gets finished. I had it for Gus because I don't think DC was winning by such a wide margin so the near finish swings it, but it's not a cut a dry thing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I have Gus round 2 as well.

Really the rounds that seems to be in dispute are 3 and 4, and the judges were coin flipping those rounds too. Any score from 49-46 Cormier to 48-47 Gustafsson seems reasonable to me.

I don't think that DC was nearly finished in round 3 though. He got hurt, dropped, then got back up. I definitely see where someone would give it to Gus, but DC was winning every exchange and landing more shots before that. I had that one 10-10.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Cher even being aware of MMA, let alone supporting it, is ten shades of awesome.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

1st AD posted:

I have Gus round 2 as well.

Really the rounds that seems to be in dispute are 3 and 4, and the judges were coin flipping those rounds too. Any score from 49-46 Cormier to 48-47 Gustafsson seems reasonable to me.

I don't think that DC was nearly finished in round 3 though. He got hurt, dropped, then got back up. I definitely see where someone would give it to Gus, but DC was winning every exchange and landing more shots before that. I had that one 10-10.

The folks on MMAFighting.com are up in arms about round 3 when honestly DC got dropped and immediately got up and smartly reacted and grabbed the single and worked his way back up to throwing punches. Its hard to put THAT much stock in the knockdown when that was the result.

If Gus kept on the ground and stayed dominant I could see scoring the round for him maybe. But yeah I think one of the better score cards would be 10-9, 9-10, 10-10, 10-9, 10-9 for a DC win with 49-47. Hell I could see that fight being a 48-48 draw on a card.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

The folks on MMAFighting.com are up in arms about round 3 when honestly DC got dropped and immediately got up and smartly reacted and grabbed the single and worked his way back up to throwing punches. Its hard to put THAT much stock in the knockdown when that was the result.

If Gus kept on the ground and stayed dominant I could see scoring the round for him maybe. But yeah I think one of the better score cards would be 10-9, 9-10, 10-10, 10-9, 10-9 for a DC win with 49-47. Hell I could see that fight being a 48-48 draw on a card.

dc got the high crotch and gus avoided the takedown, which was huge.

also, weighing the last 20 seconds more heavily than the rest of the round is absolute trash garbage. gently caress ray leonard, namaste

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

david carmichael posted:

also, weighing the last 20 seconds more heavily than the rest of the round is absolute trash garbage. gently caress ray leonard, namaste

Yeah, this is my feeling too.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Cher even being aware of MMA, let alone supporting it, is ten shades of awesome.

Is Cher from the 209? That seems more likely to me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Sphinxster posted:

she's armenian

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

The Sphinxster posted:

As a former resident of the 209, no, no she is not.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Born Cherilyn Sarkisian
May 20, 1946 (age 69)
El Centro, California, U.S.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

david carmichael posted:

also, weighing the last 20 seconds more heavily than the rest of the round is absolute trash garbage.

For sure. But in a close round if one guy stands there breathing heavily or even retreating, while the other guy is throwing punches (whether they connect or not) I'm going to lean towards the guy who looks like he wants it more. If either guy had landed a solid punch in the last twenty seconds of the fourth or fifth, the probably would have taken the round.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

maybe Cher and Nick are besties.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
If you want play that game then gus won round 4 against jones.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Marching Powder posted:

a good fight, but definitely not a classic.

disagreed. while not as good as these other fights, it came out today that Gus and Cormier hit each other more than Jones and Gus did (setting a new record) and slightly less than Robbie and Hendricks did in their first fight (falling just short of the all-time record). Cormier and Gus beat the poo poo out of each other, there were cool takedowns, a dramatic knockdown by the challenger (I believe the first time DC has been knocked down?), and it was a competitive engaging fight for all 25 minutes. If Cormier had been a longtime champion like Jones was before he fought Gus it would have had the same "holy poo poo" reaction.

it deserves to be included in the list of other classic title fights. Then you can argue which ones are better than others, which it would come in toward the bottom but that's okay.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 5, 2015

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i would pay an obscene amount of money to watch cher and nick diaz have a conversation for twenty minutes

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

a dramatic knockdown by the challenger (I believe the first time DC has been knocked down?)

How quickly we forget Rumble Johnson.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

disagreed. while not as good as these other fights, it came out today that Gus and Cormier hit each other more than Jones and Gus did (setting a new record) and slightly less than Robbie and Hendricks did in their first fight (falling just short of the all-time record). Cormier and Gus beat the poo poo out of each other, there were cool takedowns, a dramatic knockdown by the challenger (I believe the first time DC has been knocked down?), and it was a competitive engaging fight for all 25 minutes. If Cormier had been a longtime champion like Jones was before he fought Gus it would have had the same "holy poo poo" reaction.

it deserves to be included in the list of other classic title fights. Then you can argue which ones are better than others, which it would come in toward the bottom but that's okay.

sorry what record is that?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
nick diaz landed more strikes in 3 rounds than gus and dc in 5 rounds combined

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maybe most sig. str in a ufc title fight?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We doing singing poo poo now?

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

As for 2, the judge clearly put a lot of weight into the takedown Gus had as everything else in that round was equal otherwise

If it was equal otherwise, you could give the takedown almost no weight and still score the round for Gus.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bluedeanie posted:

How quickly we forget Rumble Johnson.

Oh yeah you're right, I forgot about that because DC popped back up even faster than he did after Gus knocked him down.

david carmichael posted:

sorry what record is that?

CommonShore posted:

Maybe most sig. str in a ufc title fight?

Yep. Cormier vs Gus is now 2nd place for most significant stirkes in a title fight at 260 or so. Robbie vs Johny is at the top at 300.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I'm just curious, why is the most sig. strikes a good thing?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
uh, because they are significant.

what's to be confused about?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Bubba Smith posted:

Oh yeah you're right, I forgot about that because DC popped back up even faster than he did after Gus knocked him down.

DC said he would have been way more hosed in the Rumble fight than in the Gus if the followup had connected. Also, how can you forget a man getting launched off his feet across the ring from a single punch? That was probably the most ridiculous punch I've ever seen landed in a fight. The visual impact was almost as impressive as Hendo/Bisping.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I'm just curious, why is the most sig. strikes a good thing?

volume punching = fun

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did the Rumble punch come after an eyepoke or am I fantasising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Did the Rumble punch come after an eyepoke or am I fantasising

It did, and the crack that punch made when it connected was nuts.

• Locked thread