Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I didn't like the Martian movie at all. It felt like a comedy more than anything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

angel opportunity posted:

I didn't like the Martian movie at all. It felt like a comedy more than anything...

Considering the book was rather full of quips and quite funny overall that seems a good adaption then.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Reason posted:

Just finished Library at Mount Char and thought it was pretty weird.

Excellent, I picked that up for my ereader not too long ago. I know absolutely nothing about it going into it, which is a refreshing change from most of the books I've read lately.

tiniestacorn fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 24, 2018

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
I don't why, but I'm in the mood for generic D&D novels. Can anyone recommend ones that don't suck beyond the Dark Elf trilogy and War of the Spider Queen?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
City of Ravens is a stand alone book, swashbuckling thief type as the protagonist. I remember enjoying it even after out growing most the rest the d&d books.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'm personally excited for the video game sex fairy segment

I haven't read Rothfuss' stuff. Is this bit more or less weird than Lev Grossman's fox sex bit in The Magicians?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

60 pages left in Ancillary Mercy, loving it thusfar and kind of want to stay up late enough to finish.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Argali posted:

I don't why, but I'm in the mood for generic D&D novels. Can anyone recommend ones that don't suck beyond the Dark Elf trilogy and War of the Spider Queen?

Azure Bonds is fun. With the caveat I read it when it came out 25 years ago, and reread it maybe 15 years ago. It may or may not hold up?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Nephzinho posted:

60 pages left in Ancillary Mercy, loving it thusfar and kind of want to stay up late enough to finish.

Does it go back to Justice, or is it more of Sword?

Oh, also, does it actually finish as a trilogy, or is she going to have to invent some new classes of ship for books 4+?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Argali posted:

The Brimstone Angels series by Erin M Evans is pretty great. Accidental warlock becomes a bounty hunter and gets mixed up with spies, devils, and the forces of the goddess of sorrow. The books are more modern in the sense that Evans actually understands some things about human psychology, espionage (Evans" Harper's are more covert spooks than the swashbuckling adventurers of older books), and so on.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

tiniestacorn posted:

I haven't read Rothfuss' stuff. Is this bit more or less weird than Lev Grossman's fox sex bit in The Magicians?

Less weird. It reads like Rothfuss' sex fantasy instead of reading like his furry sex fantasy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ceebees posted:

Does it go back to Justice, or is it more of Sword?

Oh, also, does it actually finish as a trilogy, or is she going to have to invent some new classes of ship for books 4+?

I'd say that the first eighty or so pages are Sword, and the next two hundred are Justice, though I ended up sleeping and still have to finish. Will post some thoughts later.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

:nms:, doubly so if you know what Harry Knowles looks like. https://www.aintitcool.com/node/11793

Therein lies madness.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I can only read Stories Of Your Life and Others so many times. Are there any other authors who can write short stories like Ted Chiang? I guess I'd describe it as taking a grand idea, but seeing it from a very personal perspective, like how the namesake story has holy poo poo first contact with a strange transtemporal language, but it's really about a woman coming to terms with her daughter's death.

Dear Ted Chiang, please write more.
Couldn't get more than 8 lines into that review what the gently caress is wrong with that man. Sort-of-related but please make sure you're following Guillermo on Twitter as he's wonderful irl and full of energy and joy and passion ( @readgdt ).

I'm also heartbroken that Chiang has written so little, Stories of Your Life was my favourite collection of Short Sci-Fi I've ever read and I'm legit sad from time to time that he hasn't written another collection yet.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He's written a book's worth of fiction since and it's mostly available online. He just hasn't collected it yet.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I'd say that the first eighty or so pages are Sword, and the next two hundred are Justice, though I ended up sleeping and still have to finish. Will post some thoughts later.

Some thoughts on Mercy, spoilered but not actual spoilers:

Act 1 gets rolling a little slowly and very much could've been part of Sword. Act 2 comes about naturally and is some of the best 200 pages of the trilogy. The conclusion to Act 3, much like the abrupt end of Sword, felt a little anticlimatic after having such momentum built up. The "post-game" of the book does a good job of resolving threads of the story while keeping enough balls in play that there could be more books that take place "10 years later" and see where things go. I really, really enjoyed the book, but at the same time find myself wishing that books 2-3 had been edited into one and that there was a more final end to the trilogy coming - hopefully after a short break we find ourselves getting more stories in this universe because there is still so much ground to tread and some very interesting conversations started that I'd love to see through.

tl;dr If you liked either/both of Justice/Sword, you should probably go out and buy Mercy.

If you read Justice and Sword, go buy Mercy. If you didn't read Justice, what's wrong with you go read it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

General Emergency posted:

Less weird. It reads like Rothfuss' sex fantasy instead of reading like his furry sex fantasy.

Eh. That bit was weird, but at least it served a purpose narratively. All sex fairy escapades is there to do is turn Kvothe into a sex god.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

Eh. That bit was weird, but at least it served a purpose narratively. All sex fairy escapades is there to do is turn Kvothe into a sex god.
You could argue that turning Kvothe into an *insert* god is the narrative purpose of the whole series.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

...well, okay, yes you could, but that's a terrible narrative :colbert:

I was still thinking it was about the Chandrian, more fool me.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argali posted:

There was a book called Horselords by David Cook that I liked way more than other DnD books when I was a teenager. It's about not Ghengis Khan and the monk who decides to follow him.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Can anyone recommend some books "like The Martian," for someone who loved it (and the film) but doesn't really read SF, or much at all? Ideally semi-recent paperbacks that I could find easily.

Yeah, it's my mum's birthday. I just shrugged and bought another copy of The Traitor because she liked Game of Thrones and it's good, but I have no idea what sort of books might qualify. I read too much terrible junk and overly nerdy stuff to begin to guess. Maybe Aurora?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

...well, okay, yes you could, but that's a terrible narrative :colbert:

I was still thinking it was about the Chandrian, more fool me.

It was never about the Chandrian. It's always been about Kvothe and the events that led to him being some kind of folk hero. The Chandrian only ever mattered in that they were a motivating factor for him.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've just finished the trilogy, and I have never been so disappointed in a series. Not because it's bad, it's actually pretty decent, but because it starts so strong, has such an absolutely fantastic premise, and then completely fails to deliver on all that potential, and instead serves up utterly generic fantasy schlock.

Yeah it was a frustrating series, the first book was interesting but it never really goes anywhere after that. Brain dead characterization, ridiculous plot and utterly predictable. In retrospect its not surprising that the author was a student of Sanderson, all of the usual bullshit from his books - hollow characters, overstays its welcome and overly concerned with its "magic system".

I gave up towards the end of book 2 and moved onto The Grim Company by Luke Scull which was fairly generic but at least well executed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chrisoya posted:

Can anyone recommend some books "like The Martian," for someone who loved it (and the film) but doesn't really read SF, or much at all? Ideally semi-recent paperbacks that I could find easily.

Yeah, it's my mum's birthday. I just shrugged and bought another copy of The Traitor because she liked Game of Thrones and it's good, but I have no idea what sort of books might qualify. I read too much terrible junk and overly nerdy stuff to begin to guess. Maybe Aurora?

You could try giving her... *clenches teeth* maybe give her... *starts breathing heavy* perhaps she'll enjoy... Reader Player One. *squeezes eyes shut*

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I dunno...Ready Player One IS sort of the same kind of pop-sci-fi genre, but it's just WAY too nerd-centric. You have to be into all the retro-game poo poo, and some SA poster's mom probably isn't.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Megazver posted:

You could try giving her... *clenches teeth* maybe give her... *starts breathing heavy* perhaps she'll enjoy... Reader Player One. *squeezes eyes shut*
Jesus Christ. I may have told people to read Watch on the Rhine recently but I'm not that much of a jerk.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Three Body Problem, maybe?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Deptfordx posted:

Azure Bonds is fun. With the caveat I read it when it came out 25 years ago, and reread it maybe 15 years ago. It may or may not hold up?

Did that come out before or after the old goldbox PC games, which I'm guessing follows the same story?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

tiniestacorn posted:

It's not weird per say, but people have a beef with it because it has a flimsy narrative purpose. It's highlighted by the fact that the author and/or narrator gloss over a part of the trip that sounds like it would be interesting in less than a paragraph and then spend almost a third of the book in fairy sex land. The author maintains that there's a narrative purpose to this whole thing and there are a whole range of discussions about the narrative reliability and whatever but it ultimately is just not great reading after a better first book. There's a whole thread on the books here if you want to look into it in more detail.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Rothfuss discussing narrative reliability is him saying "the narrator tells 100% truth". Like, he might have been able to get away with that after the first book but sure as hell not the second one.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did that come out before or after the old goldbox PC games, which I'm guessing follows the same story?

The game came out after, inspired by the book.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Seldom Posts posted:

There was a book called Horselords by David Cook that I liked way more than other DnD books when I was a teenager. It's about not Ghengis Khan and the monk who decides to follow him.

Kinda like how the Maztica books weren't about a mash-up of Cortes and Pizzaro's conquests!

I remember Azure Bonds being pretty cheesy...read it a long time ago.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Mars4523 posted:

The Brimstone Angels series by Erin M Evans is pretty great. Accidental warlock becomes a bounty hunter and gets mixed up with spies, devils, and the forces of the goddess of sorrow. The books are more modern in the sense that Evans actually understands some things about human psychology, espionage (Evans" Harper's are more covert spooks than the swashbuckling adventurers of older books), and so on.

Sounds groovy, thanks! :D

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I used to be really into Forgotten Realms as a child/teen, started trailing off after I had started reading more "real" fantasy and sci-fi, and completely quit around the time they did that whole 100 year time jump where the goddess of magic died and blew everything magic up for the 3rd or 4th time.

Anyway, are there any "required" books to read since then? I never actually read how the whole cataclysm happened, or how the world had changed or anything, I just read that they were skipping the timeline forward, went :welp:, and dropped the whole series/whatever you call it.

Edit: jesus, I just read some stuff and they did it AGAIN in 2013? :wtc:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Haerc posted:

Edit: jesus, I just read some stuff and they did it AGAIN in 2013? :wtc:

New edition of D&D means all the rules for magic change, so you need an in - universe reason for why your favorite 2/3.5/4E race/class is no longer being written about.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, I guess I was reading mainly during the DnD 2/3/3.5 days, and I don't think they really changed anything enough to warrant a big in universe cataclysm or whatever.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
The 5e 'official story reasons' killed off all remaining interest in Forgotten Realms for me. I miss Mystra, the godess who who pop in to bone Elminster in a giant floating bubble above a city.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

chrisoya posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson is great but definitely not for a casual reader. It's heavy prose and heavily scientific. I haven't read The Martian but I've heard that for all its science, it's a light and easy read (which is why it was so successful).

edit - it's been a long time since I read it but I think Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park is quite a good example of casual science fiction and the plot of the book differs significantly from the movie (in particular it has a very cool alternate ending) so it's still worth reading.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 6, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

freebooter posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson is great but definitely not for a casual reader. It's heavy prose and heavily scientific. I haven't read The Martian but I've heard that for all its science, it's a light and easy read (which is why it was so successful).

The Mars series was heavy on science (from what I remember?) but Aurora mostly just covers broad scientific concepts without actually getting into detail about anything. I'd say it's lighter on science than The Martian but way heavier on sociology and "big ideas".

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Granted. But compare Robinson's writing style:

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/42742263-aurora

With Weir's:

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/21825181-the-martian

I'm not a literary snob and I'm not saying Aurora is better than The Martian (which I still intend to read) but they're not actually similar books. Someone who doesn't read much but enjoyed The Martian is not likely to enjoy Aurora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Y'all are not selling me on this book.