Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anora posted:

Or give him a Mullet.

Also, we already have the Kid Spider-man, where's the Robot and armor Spider-man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Anora posted:

Or give him a Mullet.

Also, we already have the Kid Spider-man, where's the Robot and armor Spider-man?
Don't forget Girl Spider-Man!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 18, 2015

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Hoodie Spider-Girl!

Mummy Spider-Girl!

Mummy-er!

That last one leads me to a question: what is the most covered-up costume for a superheroine?

Edit: even more covered-up than Gwen there

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

toanoradian posted:

Hoodie Spider-Girl!

Mummy Spider-Girl!

Mummy-er!

That last one leads me to a question: what is the most covered-up costume for a superheroine?

Old Madame Web?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

toanoradian posted:

Probably Dust from X-Men:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alhazred posted:

Probably Dust from X-Men:

She's showing a lot of hand there...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rescue.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Mania

edit: i guess she's a supervillain?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ms. Thing probably deserves a spot on the list, even if her head is showing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure how you get more covered up than completely covered up like Spider-Gwen. If you mean not form-fitting, then yeah, probably Dust.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's also Ultimate Shroud, which was Kitty Pryde in disguise. A full set of clothes with a covered face, and a big thick cloak on top of that.

But that's kind of cheating because the whole point was to hide not just her identity but gender too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When Echo was Ronin.

Edit:

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 14, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

There's also Ultimate Shroud, which was Kitty Pryde in disguise. A full set of clothes with a covered face, and a big thick cloak on top of that.

But that's kind of cheating because the whole point was to hide not just her identity but gender too.

Pretty pointlessly because I recall people guessing Kitty and, like, no-one else immediately.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
She wasn't exactly shy about phasing through everything in sight after being a well-publicized X-Man known almost exclusively for being able to phase through things.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Skwirl posted:

When Echo was Ronin.

Edit:

That's a bad case of the squits

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

toanoradian posted:

Mummy Spider-Girl!

Is that actually a costume, or the aftermath of a bad wardrobe malfunction?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Say Nothing posted:

Is that actually a costume, or the aftermath of a bad wardrobe malfunction?

This is her actual costume

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good to know, as Spider-Man had a similar look after Gipsy Moth dissolved his suit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Say Nothing posted:

Good to know, as Spider-Man had a similar look after Gipsy Moth dissolved his suit.

Oh my lord, is he turning into Man-Spider again? None of that looks right.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Oh my lord, is he turning into Man-Spider again? None of that looks right.

Forget it, Jake. It's Ramos-town.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Give Humberto this, the eyelines are pretty spot-on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GBS had some thread about Vaporwave, and I think I found the image that inspired Jim Lee (or maybe Marc Silvestri, I can't find a solid source on when the yellow jacket first appeared) for Jubilee's most iconic look:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand why anyone would ask Alex Ross or Jim Lee to design costumes, yet they keep doing it.
Can't answer the latter, but the former is because some of his Kingdom Come designs were dope. Skeleton Dead Man, black S superman, Red Robin. All cool

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when it comes to Red Robin. What's cool about it? It looks like someone took Dr. Midnite, stripped out the green, gave him a worse version of the helm from The Phantom of the Paradise, and then said "bandoliers to pull it all together." It didn't make me think "wow Dick Grayson grew up to be a badass." It made me think "Wow Dick Grayson turns into a frumpy loser."

Almost all the other designs from Kingdom Come I can get behind.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I know I'm in the minority, but I still love that costume of Psylocke's. It's very feminine and even sexy without being a one-piece bathing suit, and it shows that she was mostly a noncombatant (at least back then) who needed some extra protection. The hood and cape gave her a more "mysterious psychic" vibe.

Havok's classic costume, with the eggbeater on his head and the dog collar, is one of my all-time least-favorite costumes, though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when it comes to Red Robin. What's cool about it? It looks like someone took Dr. Midnite, stripped out the green, gave him a worse version of the helm from The Phantom of the Paradise, and then said "bandoliers to pull it all together." It didn't make me think "wow Dick Grayson grew up to be a badass." It made me think "Wow Dick Grayson turns into a frumpy loser."

It's supposed to look like Keaton's Batman cowl without the pointy ears, but it's still a terrible costume. All of the Red Robin costumes have been terrible, the name is terrible, for that matter. I get the impression they didn't know what to do with Tim once Damian showed up but he deserved better.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know I'm in the minority, but I still love that costume of Psylocke's. It's very feminine and even sexy without being a one-piece bathing suit, and it shows that she was mostly a noncombatant (at least back then) who needed some extra protection. The hood and cape gave her a more "mysterious psychic" vibe.

Havok's classic costume, with the eggbeater on his head and the dog collar, is one of my all-time least-favorite costumes, though.

Is it really a minority opinion? Psylock's costume there is fantastic, and reflects a much more interesting characterization than ninja-badass. Because EVERYONE is a ninja badass!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The ridiculous boots ruins it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She spends a lot of time treading water and fly fishing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I also liked how her mask was open on top to allow her purple hair to flow free if the hood was down, but otherwise was a Flash/Captain America/Daredevil-style mask.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

It doesn't help that Nightwing's actual design at the time, all black with the blue bird design and escrima sticks, was so good. Honestly the only way Dick Grayson was ever going to look cooler than that is by becoming Batman.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I'm on your side -- it was a good thing for her. She was just wearing plain clothes when Sabretooth showed up during the Mutant Massacre, and she barely made it out alive. I distinctly remember her taking a few knocks and surviving with her armored suit.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

GBS had some thread about Vaporwave, and I think I found the image that inspired Jim Lee (or maybe Marc Silvestri, I can't find a solid source on when the yellow jacket first appeared) for Jubilee's most iconic look:

this is the greatest thing ive ever seen

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

New Wonder Woman outfit looks alright when a competent artist tries to draw it. Proper fash gear, oof

(Yanick Paquette)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I like it! Although I miss the tiara.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

New Wonder Woman outfit looks alright when a competent artist tries to draw it. Proper fash gear, oof

(Yanick Paquette)

That's not the new costume unless it's changed in the last few months.
Looking forward to his work on the WW Earth One thing whenever that's coming.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That looks radical.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dynamite is relaunching Red Sonja, Vamperella and Dejah Thoris (John Carter of Mars) comics with new looks designed by Nicola Scott.
http://www.newsarama.com/26160-red-sonja-vampirella-dejah-thoris-to-relaunch-and-get-redesigned-in-2016.html

Red Sonja
was now

Vamperella
was now

Dejah Thoris
was now

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair, the "just wearing some jewelry" look is how she was described in the original books. But then that was everyone on Mars as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Those are all thoroughly badass.

• Locked thread