Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMDaMK-9Tzc

Everdraed to the rescue again, showing what it could be with more urgency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMDaMK-9Tzc

Everdraed to the rescue again, showing what it could be with more urgency.

I laughed so hard during that, it's perfect :allears:

I still maintain that Gone Home would have been horror GOTY if it pulled a double fakeout on you. Instead of just being a Dear Esther style game of piecing together the story, or the original Spooky Monster/Ghost vibe it has going on, I would have poo poo a brick if I came down from the upstairs to find that the front doors were wide open and a servant's hallway/secret passage was opened up. Psycho House up on the hill has been left abandoned for at least a day, it'd be a prime candidate for a home invasion subplot.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gone Home got a lot of weird reactions. Everything you read about it after it came out was either incredibly glowing or incredibly scathing. If there wasn't a lesbian and a cuck shoehorned into the story, everyone would have seen a mediocre game without a story to prop it up that failed to deliver on any of its pacing beats. Instead it gets remembered as the greatest or worst game of the year, depending on what kind of idiot is judging it at the time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

I feel like the key difference is that Myst is a puzzle game. The exploration and story exist to give context to the puzzles. Gone Home doesn't really have puzzles, the focus is the story. Neither game really has much story, but Myst's works a little better because most of the time you're just trying to figure out how to turn on this machine or whatever, if you enjoy that sort of thing then you'd probably do it even without the story to give you a reason.

Almost all of Myst's "puzzles" were you finding a number or symbol or sound effect somewhere in the level and then finding the place to input it. The only real difference between the two games is the degree of complexity and obfuscation.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Gone Home got a lot of weird reactions. Everything you read about it after it came out was either incredibly glowing or incredibly scathing. If there wasn't a lesbian and a cuck shoehorned into the story, everyone would have seen a mediocre game without a story to prop it up that failed to deliver on any of its pacing beats. Instead it gets remembered as the greatest or worst game of the year, depending on what kind of idiot is judging it at the time.

or,

people have different opinions than you.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
indie games are dragging games down because they're all pretentious and/or poo poo that is excused for being poo poo because it's an indie game. For example, the september PS+ game grow home looks really really bad and has framerate issues somehow and is really goddamn boring but it's an indie game so these criticisms are not valid

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

ArtIsResistance posted:

indie games are dragging games down because they're all pretentious and/or poo poo that is excused for being poo poo because it's an indie game. For example, the september PS+ game grow home looks really really bad and has framerate issues somehow and is really goddamn boring but it's an indie game so these criticisms are not valid

I think it's more the fact that Grow Home and Child of Light have more imagination and inventiveness than everything else Ubisoft has put out in the last 5 years put together

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Inco posted:

I think it's more the fact that Grow Home and Child of Light have more imagination and inventiveness than everything else Ubisoft has put out in the last 5 years put together

Outland was pretty awesome.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The secret of Gone Home is that the teen lesbian romance, while very well executed, is boring, whereas the secondary plots of your dad's troubled writing career and his dead repentant child molester uncle actually own.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

The secret of Gone Home is that the teen lesbian romance, while very well executed, is boring, whereas the secondary plots of your dad's troubled writing career and his dead repentant child molester uncle actually own.

They seriously needed to push all of the subplots way further, especially the Father's. Dude was going loving mental and the game starts with them being off camping when the wife is having an affair with Ranger Rick. With how easy you find all the clues to your mom's infidelity you'd assume he would have found them too when he's that paranoid. He writes conspiracy theory articles for fucks sake.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Half-Life 2: Episode Two: I went for the "Get some Grub" achievement and missed 2 out of a possible 333 grubs. Then I did it again and missed 3 of the bastards. :argh:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They seriously needed to push all of the subplots way further, especially the Father's. Dude was going loving mental and the game starts with them being off camping when the wife is having an affair with Ranger Rick. With how easy you find all the clues to your mom's infidelity you'd assume he would have found them too when he's that paranoid. He writes conspiracy theory articles for fucks sake.

"Yeah but conspiracy theorists are crazy and therefore sloppy QED" :smug:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

sticklefifer posted:

Outland was pretty awesome.

Outland was p great, but not developed by any Ubisoft studio. Child of Light and Grow Home were both developed by Ubisoft.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I don't know if I interpreted things very differently than you did, but from what I can tell, while the wife definitely had a huge crush on the Ranger, it wasn't really requited, and they're going to the couple's retreat camp to try and patch up their marriage. Terry never gets cucked.

I think Terry's underlying story makes sense to be more in the background - figuring it out is part of the game, in the same way (but less) that some people obsess over Dark Souls lore.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

StandardVC10 posted:

Half-Life 2: Episode Two: I went for the "Get some Grub" achievement and missed 2 out of a possible 333 grubs. Then I did it again and missed 3 of the bastards. :argh:

That's the first game that really got me into achievements. It was also the last one because of that poo poo.

There's also the rocket gnome achievement that involves carrying a garden gnome for the majority of the game. During the vehicle sections you can put it in the car but it won't stay still so you end up driving very carefully. Then at the end you can still miss out on the achievement if you don't close the hatch to the rocket (even though it'll launch anyway) :shepicide:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mierenneuker posted:

That's the first game that really got me into achievements. It was also the last one because of that poo poo.

There's also the rocket gnome achievement that involves carrying a garden gnome for the majority of the game. During the vehicle sections you can put it in the car but it won't stay still so you end up driving very carefully. Then at the end you can still miss out on the achievement if you don't close the hatch to the rocket (even though it'll launch anyway) :shepicide:

Yeah I've read enough people's Little Rocket Man experiences to know "gently caress that."

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Dale Gribble

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Correction: he used to write speculative fiction about the JFK assassination, which he recently picked back up because a more fitting cult publisher picked up the rights. I don't think he's a conspiracy theorist, or really that crazy, he's just a creative sort that struggled to find an outlet.

All I can really say about Gone Home is that it's one of the few romance stories that really worked for me. So it's good in my book.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Inco posted:

Outland was p great, but not developed by any Ubisoft studio. Child of Light and Grow Home were both developed by Ubisoft.

Yeah, "put out by" was the phrasing I was responding to.

Black Flag was pretty great though (AC storyline aside), and I have pretty high hopes about For Honor.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I thought Grow Home was a cute and fun little diversion. :(

E: VVV Ha, I wanted to say something similar about this but couldn't figure out how to word it.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Oct 5, 2015

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

See, that was a really good setup and made me want to actually explore, and the atmosphere was pretty drat cool when you first get into it. Then it turned out that the plot was basically an afterschool special episode of some teen drama. Back when it came out if you didn't like it you'd get eviscerated if you said that because ughhhh you just hate it because it has a GAY WOMAN in it don't you!? completely missing the point.

I really loved the fact that everything going on turned out to be relatively mundane, petty and grounded. Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with single-handedly saving humanity from the aliens / nazis / rampant AI / eldritch horror, but after the hundredth time it was nice to do something different for a change.

Edit: I got some stuff confused.

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Oct 6, 2015

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I feel like exploration games reveal something hypocritical about myself. I'm all for games trying new and experimental techniques to convey experiences and tell stories but besides Thirty Flights of Loving I've never purchased one because I'm not sure if I wanna put money down on something that doesn't have a "gamey" (any form of interaction besides walking around a space and inspecting objects) aspect to it and Thirty Flights was only $5 at launch. It's a value for dollars issue with me, I guess.

Gone Home has piqued my interest from time to time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Action Tortoise posted:

I feel like exploration games reveal something hypocritical about myself. I'm all for games trying new and experimental techniques to convey experiences and tell stories but besides Thirty Flights of Loving I've never purchased one because I'm not sure if I wanna put money down on something that doesn't have a "gamey" (any form of interaction besides walking around a space and inspecting objects) aspect to it and Thirty Flights was only $5 at launch. It's a value for dollars issue with me, I guess.

Gone Home gives you about an hour or two of playtime where Thirty Flights of Loving gives you, like, fifteen minutes tops.
It also is actually mostly a 'traditional game' in the sort of adventure game mold. You do occasionally have to solve a puzzle to figure out where to pick up something (e.g. 'find the pieces of this map to figure out where the key is to open this door'). There's a couple of little Easter Eggs if you perform certain actions.

It's the same sort of experience as The Stanley Parable, except Stanley is all about metafiction and humour and so on, whereas Gone Home is a traditional story. It's actually a game with very clear goals - the end goal of the game is 'get into the attic'. Solving that puzzle is the game.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah I've read enough people's Little Rocket Man experiences to know "gently caress that."

Totally worth the pain and struggle to get that dude on the rocket. :shepicide:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sleeveless posted:

Almost all of Myst's "puzzles" were you finding a number or symbol or sound effect somewhere in the level and then finding the place to input it. The only real difference between the two games is the degree of complexity and obfuscation.
I didn't say Myst's puzzles were good (or that I liked Myst), just that they're the focus. The story is background.

ArtIsResistance posted:

indie games are dragging games down because they're all pretentious and/or poo poo that is excused for being poo poo because it's an indie game.
Not true of all indie games, but it certainly seems like a lot of indie games get praised despite being terrible, and if they'd been made by a proper company then no one would give a poo poo about them.

Action Tortoise posted:

Gone Home is an actual game with things to do other than move around while the story unfolds around you. It's mediocre and has that "indie game" thing where it was rated a lot higher than it should have been, but it's not terrible.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

it doesn't seem that hypocritical to me to appreciate that unique experimental things can exist for those people who enjoy them without being that into them yourself

(at least I hope it's not because I feel pretty similiar)

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
Binary Domain is a game where you shoot robits and watch their parts fly. It's surprisingly good, but the robot sex plot twist is so monumentally stupid I practically stared in disbelief for the whole cutscene.

CISscum has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Oct 6, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Starcraft 2 just released the new Part 3: Star Harder pre-expansion patch which now includes the new cinematic. I figure this is as good a place as any to whine that every freaking video/cutscene Blizzard does features Hydralisks as melee combatants. They've done this since early cutscenes in SC1 and it really toasts my pumpkins :argh:

This is amplified slightly as Blizzard went to some lengths to say ":smug: Yea we spent two years on this one-minute scene, making sure we got every detail right :smug:"

I know of exactly one scene where Hydras actually shoot spines, and they end up rushing and clawing at the guy anyway

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Gone Home is an actual game with things to do other than move around while the story unfolds around you. It's mediocre and has that "indie game" thing where it was rated a lot higher than it should have been, but it's not terrible.

Gone Home is the best argument against the current system of 'aggregate-of-scores-in-these-areas' game ratings that I've ever seen. On the one hand, it has very little gameplay and it's not particularly good-looking. On the other hand, I was genuinely scared after the second-to-last note and muttering "oh god oh god oh god" to myself when I opened the attic door. It is a game that focuses hard on genuineness and human characters and heart, to the point where the sacrifices it makes in other areas are completely forgivable. It is a game where you pick up cassette tape boxes and the little cover flips open when you turn them upside down, revealing handwritten notes.

Of course, I might just be particularly vulnerable to it- when I played it, I was exactly the same age as the main character, my little brother is Sam's age, and my family home back in the states is one of those too-big-for-the-price-tag monstrosities with a spooky attic. But even with that, the game still has had a lasting impact on my view of games and characters. I want more games where most of the other characters are people trying to do the right thing, I want more games with genuineness and heart. I'm sick of irony and self-parody and eye rolling.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Evilreaver posted:

Starcraft 2 just released the new Part 3: Star Harder pre-expansion patch which now includes the new cinematic. I figure this is as good a place as any to whine that every freaking video/cutscene Blizzard does features Hydralisks as melee combatants. They've done this since early cutscenes in SC1 and it really toasts my pumpkins :argh:

This is amplified slightly as Blizzard went to some lengths to say ":smug: Yea we spent two years on this one-minute scene, making sure we got every detail right :smug:"

I know of exactly one scene where Hydras actually shoot spines, and they end up rushing and clawing at the guy anyway

To be fair, Hydras do have a melee attack animation in SC2. Also I partially think it's because nobody really knows how Hydras shoot needles. Do they come from their spines? their heads?

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

To be fair, Hydras do have a melee attack animation in SC2. Also I partially think it's because nobody really knows how Hydras shoot needles. Do they come from their spines? their heads?

I always figured they had like a quill system in a gullet type thing, that they fired from their mouth.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Away all Goats posted:

If I remember right they come from the shoulders in SC1.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You also have to count the secret Hydralisks in the Warcraft 3 Night Elf campaign, who had these flaps that opened up on the sides of their backs.

I think every representation of the zergling looked wildly different in SC1 too. The concept art was this squat, almost chubby thing, the talking portrait was much sleeker, and the cutscenes gave them the same head as a hydralisk

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Being the shut-in loser I am, I've picked up Starcraft 2'ing pretty hard because I love the game on the whole- the story is pretty stupid and cartoony but who cares, there's a mission where you have to outrun a supernova and one where you swing a :krad: laser around to liquefy Protoss. It's great and I love it... for the most part. (Not featured in this post: Multiplayer; I stink)

At the risk of repeating myself re: loser, I've been hunting down the achievements in anticipation of the new expansion coming out, and here's a fresh new whinepost about my experiences:

SC2 was broken into three parts due to Blizzard's 'grand vision'. Cool so far: the first installment was Wings of Liberty (Terran campaign) which had a huge ton of really fun and varied missions [that is, very few "build an army big enough to just steamroll an enemy"], and the Brutal difficulty was exceptionally difficult and unrelenting, but beatable with practice and know-how. Great!

Heart of the Swarm comes out and 90% of the missions are 'Use Kerrigan like a DOTA hero to steamroll the enemy base (there are some zerg too if you need them)', and for nearly all the missions Brutal is a joke, weak poo poo. Walk a god around and nuke poo poo. Boring and lazy :argh: It seemed like they were intentionally courting the DOTA crowd, as heroes with lifebars and leveling up became a thing, along with out-of-place boss fights (one level was JUST boss fights), and several missions featuring creep waves of one sort (plus an ability that effectively gives you a creep wave).

I feel like Blizzard listened to me yelling at my computer screen and thusly swung the difficulty the other way: Part 3: Star Harder's difficulty is a HUGE JUMP from WoL, not to mention HotS. I marathoned all of SC2 in the last week to get ready, and I can barely get 60% of the way through mission 1 of the sneak peek prologue on Brutal. At least there's not a hero running everything this time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think when you make a campaign based around an ultra space goddess like what they've made Kerrigan, it's going to be a game about a DOTA hero wandering around stomping on enemy bases because that's pretty much what she does. :shrug:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RyokoTK posted:

I think when you make a campaign based around an ultra space goddess like what they've made Kerrigan, it's going to be a game about a DOTA hero wandering around stomping on enemy bases because that's pretty much what she does. :shrug:

Which is still dumb since the Zerg should be about an endless tidal wave of teeth and acid and biomatter consuming everything in it's path. Not an uber hero who ends up being saved from her zergness in the end

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Away all Goats posted:

Which is still dumb since the Zerg should be about an endless tidal wave of teeth and acid and biomatter consuming everything in it's path. Not an uber hero who ends up being saved from her zergness in the end

I've never played any Blizzard game (with the exception of like, two hours of a WoW trial a decade or so ago) but I just got off a game of Dota, and I'm kind of astounded how wrong it sounds like they got this, because I was playing a hero that would be a perfect basis for a Zerg campaign.

Broodmother is a giant spider, whose trademark skill is spitting eggs at enemies, that hatch into small spiders if they die. If those spiders then kill something, then that kill spawns another spider. Most pet or illusion heroes can feasibly hope to get about ten-ish units to control at maximum; if Broodmother wants, she can ball up to about fifty (while still being a credible individual threat, at that). At that point, zerg rushing is a very valid tactic, albeit a risky one because all those spiders give XP and gold rewards. She's the best hero in the game at taking down buildings if her team can keep the heat off her, just because fifty spiders scratching at a building is going to add up very quickly.

That's how playing as Kerrigan should probably work. It's totally possible to combine a 'zerg rush' playstyle with a MOBA-style singular hero, in fact it's not even hard.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hell, instead of making her an all encompassing death machine, make her useful killing a specific type of unit (through upgrades/levels, if that's your thing) and the most of her powers focus on buffing the various zerg units in different ways. Then you have your badass zerg queen who can rip a hole in a tank, but the zerg are still oriented around an unending torrent of sharp toothed murder, drowning it's enemies in acid spit and it's own blood.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpookyLizard posted:

Hell, instead of making her an all encompassing death machine, make her useful killing a specific type of unit (through upgrades/levels, if that's your thing) and the most of her powers focus on buffing the various zerg units in different ways. Then you have your badass zerg queen who can rip a hole in a tank, but the zerg are still oriented around an unending torrent of sharp toothed murder, drowning it's enemies in acid spit and it's own blood.

This is what they were kinda going for, but Kerrigan herself is so powerful that the Zerg around her are tissue paper, even buffed. She can walk into the fire of 3 siege tanks, and hydralisk/roach will melt off the splash damage before she gets particularly hurt, on Brutal.

On the other hand, it does kinda encourage "Have all your hatcheries rally at Kerrigan, slam on 'spawn whatever' every few seconds"

Away all Goats posted:

Also for the record, she pretty much re-zergs herself immediately when she hears Raynor died (mission 2 HotS), so all the effort of WoL was ffpt

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

All the god drat system messages before MGSV launches. Sometimes I want to launch a game, go take a crap or a smoke break and come back to find my game up and running. Not have to press A a bunch to go through no less than 6 patch notes that have been up since launch. loving Konami.