Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm the opposite, I can't handle playing on anything other than 100% difficulty. I'd rather finish and have the game tell me I only hit 50% of the notes but still be at 100% difficulty. Only playing some of the things I'm hearing really messes me up and I find it to be way harder to learn that way than playing the part by ear. If I have trouble I slow it down and practice that way rather than lowering the difficulty. But to each his own!

And yeah, Castle Chordead is such a great idea but I'm sitting there slamming the same chord over and over and it isn't detecting it. Why the gently caress did they pick a really flangy reverb-heavy tone for the chord practice mode? It should be as clean a super clean tone. Drives me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Any song that I'm learning that has bends on the first string, particularly in frets 12+ during solos or what have you, just don't detect for crap. I would normally be content never turning up the difficulty of any part of a song unless I went in and specifically practiced it, but now if I get the feeling that the difficulty isn't increasing in a given section only because rocksmith can't detect really high pitched bends I will just manually go and turn it up.

I really enjoy just letting the difficult gradually work it's way up as I improve but drat. I feel I have to bend the first string twice as much as I should to get it to register. It's to the point where I can easily hear that I'm playing the note far too sharp compared to the actual song and rocksmith tells me that it's on point.

I mean I suppose it doesn't matter, if a section is already maxxed out in difficulty and I'm only working on making it sound cleaner I just play the note the way it's supposed to be played and let rocksmith think that I'm missing it. I'm content just sounding good, it's the parts where I don't already have the section on the highest difficulty and I really want rocksmith to say 'yah okay you got this down, lets put more notes in'.

Literally nowhere else in the game is the detection so bad.

Except Return to Castle Chordead, which is terrible. I really wanted to like that stupid mini-game too.

Yeah, what the hell is the deal with the detection in that mini game. It's like it's using some cheap Chinese rip off copy of the detection algorithm or something, it's awful.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Sadly Chordead is a regression from Rocksmith 2012. It is flashier and a novel concept but less fun and way less useful for practicing chord changes.

Bends and long sustains are two things that annoy me. It may differ from setup to setup, perhaps my setup needs really aggressive noise gating since I'm using a single-coil strat feet away from my computer, but the detection of sustains, bends and slides after sustains seem to be really spotty unless I strum the note again before bending or sliding.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah, what the hell is the deal with the detection in that mini game. It's like it's using some cheap Chinese rip off copy of the detection algorithm or something, it's awful.

I just assumed it's because I'm terrible.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

poo poo, my cable has stopped working on my desktop. Gonna run it by my laptop, but in the likely event that it's shot, is there a good 3rd party cable or am I stuck shelling out another $40?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Funky Valentine posted:

poo poo, my cable has stopped working on my desktop. Gonna run it by my laptop, but in the likely event that it's shot, is there a good 3rd party cable or am I stuck shelling out another $40?

Depending on what you mean by not working (like not seen by PC? no sound?) you might be able to do a DIY fix. My original RS cable started going and I replaced the guitar end jack, good as new.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dewgy posted:

Depending on what you mean by not working (like not seen by PC? no sound?) you might be able to do a DIY fix. My original RS cable started going and I replaced the guitar end jack, good as new.

PC says the driver's installed, but it's not showing up in the recording devices and the game itself doesn't recognize that it's plugged in.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

JHVH-1 posted:

Last night I was playing Heart Shaped Box on bass and I ran into the same problem as I do playing guitar. It just is crap at detecting the E string when its tuned down like that. I tried the two different pickups, turning down the bass boost, adjusting the tone. None of that helped.

Have you tried using heavier gauge strings? I had that problem until I switched. It has trouble when there's not enough tension.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Dewgy posted:

Same here. My end jack never sounded right, once I spliced in a new end it was perfect.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think it's about time we got another Bon Jovi DLC pack. I'd give my big toe to get Have a Nice Day or Last Man Standing.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dross posted:

Have you tried using heavier gauge strings? I had that problem until I switched. It has trouble when there's not enough tension.

I think at this point I have tried 2 guitars and my bass. 9 and 10s on one guitar with varying results. The bass part it couldn't detect was up on the 7th fret so it seemed weird. It sounded clear, but I am new to bass and may need to work on my technique some.

I'll have to see if there are any other songs tuned similar to that. I have new respect for bass players though after actually trying it some. They have to keep the rhythm, stop extra notes from ringing, wrestle with those thick strings.

I got OBS properly set up again on my mac and might do some more twitch steaming of me floundering through random tracks again. http://www.twitch.tv/surrealchemist if anyone is interested in following. I only get 1 or 2 viewers usually, but I just do it for fun.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I would love to see some Paramore or Third Eye Blind DLC. The first was at least on-disk in 2014 and well represented in other music games, but the second hasn't been in any music game as far as I remember.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fina posted:

I would love to see some Paramore or Third Eye Blind DLC. The first was at least on-disk in 2014 and well represented in other music games, but the second hasn't been in any music game as far as I remember.
Third Eye Blind had a couple of songs released through RBN for some reason

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
That's odd. Clutch was also only ever released through RBN and they'd be a ton of fun in these games.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Any suggestions on a guitar to look for if I'm an absolute beginner? Other than used and relatively cheap in case I discover I'm really not all that interested?

Would something like this be decent?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/squier-guitar/1107285955?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Or this?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/electric-guitar-st-hs362-3/1107161234?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Golluk fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 2, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Fina posted:

That's odd. Clutch was also only ever released through RBN and they'd be a ton of fun in these games.

I've liked the customs people made, but having official Clutch tracks would be sweet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Golluk posted:

Any suggestions on a guitar to look for if I'm an absolute beginner? Other than used and relatively cheap in case I discover I'm really not all that interested?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/squier-guitar/1107285955?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Or this?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/electric-guitar-st-hs362-3/1107161234?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Used and relatively cheap are indeed a good idea if you're not sure how far you'll go. (Don't give up though poo poo's easy to learn and then you know it for life like riding a bike, and its fun as hell. Just keep your guitar in your room and not shut away in some closet so you reach for it all the time)

Those both seem like okay starter fender strats. They're both foreign made and cheaper parts than professional guitars, but you get what you pay for and that's the kind of thing you want as a cheap starter. The difference between a good cheap guitar and a good expensive guitar is mostly just the pickups, there's some subtle differences in the body which matter but as a newbie you won't really notice.

What kind of music are you into? Because that makes a big difference. List some of your favorite bands. Usually makes sense to look at similar styles of guitars as your favorite artists' used.

For your first guitar a strat probably isn't a bad idea, they're pretty comfortable to play sitting or standing, they look fine, and you can get a nice range of sounds out of them from clean country twang to hard metal shredding.

Personally I like more rock n roll, hard rock and heavy metal, so I started on a Fat Strat instead of a normal Strat. That's one with a HSS configuration instead of the SSS configuration you see in those two guitars. (The H stands for humbucker and means a sort of double-pickup that lets you do higher overdrive without too much buzz and hum, better for metal) If that sounds cool to you, you should be able to find fat strats used and just as cheap as normal strats. Or alternatively you could always change out the pickguard and the pickups and put in a humbucker or two, but depending upon the guitar that's going to require some soldering and possibly even routing the body wood.

You can get an okay metal sound out of a single coil if you have to, but having a humbucker can be real nice!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Golluk posted:

Or this?

Try to find a Squier Vintage Modified series guitar, those are great and are like $200-$300 new. Avoid the Affinity series which are cheap garbage.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

JHVH-1 posted:

I've liked the customs people made, but having official Clutch tracks would be sweet.

I've been kinda disappointed with a few of the Clutch customs released recently. Like most customs people will often just import a guitar pro file without really checking to see if it's accurate or well synced. Unfortunately I don't really have as much free time to make them like I used to so I have to give these ones a shot and I'd say about 80% of the customs I download end up deleted after one playthrough for one reason or another. The new Clutch album came out today so maybe we'll see some DLC from that, Rock Band used to do DLC tie-ins with new albums.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

What kind of music are you into? Because that makes a big difference. List some of your favorite bands. Usually makes sense to look at similar styles of guitars as your favorite artists' used.

Off the top of my head, NIN, Radiohead, Muse, and Queens of the Stone Age tend to have songs I like to play on Rock Band. Just want to make sure I'm not going to make things really frustrating with a used $100 guitar rather than a new $250 one.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Honestly I kind of forgot custom imports were even a thing in rocksmith. Are they simple to use or a big pain in the butt. There are a few songs that I really really wish were in rocksmith and I could probably just pull tabs off the internet but it's so much easier to sight read stuff in rocksmith.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
They're pretty simple.

- Drop some .dll in the Rocksmith 2014 folder.
- Drop the custom song file in the Rocksmith 2014 DLC folder.
- Own Cherub Rock DLC (Other DLC will work but requires you to take an extra step)
- Play!

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Blues Rock Song Pack
* Joe Bonamassa "Sloe Gin"
* ???
* ???

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

JHVH-1 posted:

I think at this point I have tried 2 guitars and my bass. 9 and 10s on one guitar with varying results. The bass part it couldn't detect was up on the 7th fret so it seemed weird. It sounded clear, but I am new to bass and may need to work on my technique some.

Get the precision tuner up and see exactly what it thinks the open string and the 7th fret are. It could be a tuning problem, or an intonation problem (getting progressively more out of tune as you go up the neck) or it could be a game issue.

I had a ton of trouble with weirdly specific things, like one high bend in the Cherub Rock solo. I had 11s on, from playing tuned down, and going back to standard and doing full step bends was not a nice feeling. Took me a lot of finger abuse before I thought 'I'm definitely not missing that, what the hell' - I turned my audio engine and graphics settings down a touch, to give the computer a bit more breathing room in case there was some intense processing it was choking on, and it was a lot better after that

I still have issues though, possibly because this computer is a piece of poo poo now. There are songs I play in Score Attack where it always says I missed a certain note, at a specific point in the song, even though it's a repeating riff and I know I'm hitting it. Who knows eh

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Good idea.

When I picked up the bass at Sam Ash they gave me a 2 year warranty plan with up to 9 free setups for $30 (after coming down on the price of the rest of the gear to convince me to get it.) so probably wouldn't hurt to check the intonation next time I play. Seemed worth it cause a single professional setup costs more than $30, and their tech probably will be more precise at it than I have the patience for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Golluk posted:

Off the top of my head, NIN, Radiohead, Muse, and Queens of the Stone Age tend to have songs I like to play on Rock Band. Just want to make sure I'm not going to make things really frustrating with a used $100 guitar rather than a new $250 one.

Oh, one more reason to consider a humbucker: This is the rocksmith thread and not the guitar megathread. So I assume you're buying a guitar to play rocksmith with, possibly to learn guitar from rocksmith?

If so, definitely consider getting a guitar with at least one humbucker pickup. Playing a guitar in close proximity with a computer will produce a ton of unwanted electromagnetic buzz. HBs help cut down on that buzz significantly. You can normally just walk away from your computer to play, but not when you're playing rocksmith! (Active pickups aka EMGs are even better)

NIN and Queens both play some pretty chunky or electric sounds which would also lean towards a guitar with an HB.

Nah a used guitar and a new guitar should play about the same as long as its not broken, just don't get anything super cheap from like Walmart that's sold by a brand you've never heard of, those are lovely lovely guitars. Anything from Fender/Squier, Gibson/Epiphone, etc. is gonna be at least decent.

If you get lucky or you have a keen eye you can get a $100 guitar used from somebody or some pawn shop worth more than most $250 new guitars, or maybe not. You don't know what to look for yet which is the tricky part, you don't even know what you want. But you should be safe as long as you stay away from the crap they sell at general department stores to parents who don't know any better. Also probably avoid guitars with lots of custom modifications unless you know exactly what they did and you want that.

< - A humbucker (looks like two pickups sandwiched together)

Guitars come configured as SSS and HSS and HH most often. (Although things like HSH and SS and stuff happens too)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 2, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks for the information. I'm set to meet the guy selling the Squier Stratocaster tonight for 70 bucks, and an amp for 30. Hopefully I won't be too screwed with SSS instead of HSS. Though it honestly doesn't look that hard to replace the pick ups.

Are there any easy DIY isolators/filters out there when connecting to the PC?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Golluk posted:

Thanks for the information. I'm set to meet the guy selling the Squier Stratocaster tonight for 70 bucks, and an amp for 30. Hopefully I won't be too screwed with SSS instead of HSS. Though it honestly doesn't look that hard to replace the pick ups.

Are there any easy DIY isolators/filters out there when connecting to the PC?

Two of your five pickup selector positions on a Strat will be humbucking anyway so you'll be able to kind of get away with it. The noise problem isn't a cable thing though, it's because what you're technically playing to make sound is a set of magnets, so EMI will end up coming through your speakers.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Ah, so it will use two of the single coil pick ups to perform similar cancelling to a humbucker pick up?

Also, would using headphones instead of larger speakers reduce interference? Since they would be using a much smaller current.

I wonder if carbon fiber around the pick ups could help. I know it can cause issues with absorbing signals on carbon fiber quadcopters. But in this case, that would be helpful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Golluk posted:

Ah, so it will use two of the single coil pick ups to perform similar cancelling to a humbucker pick up?

Also, would using headphones instead of larger speakers reduce interference? Since they would be using a much smaller current.

I wonder if carbon fiber around the pick ups could help. I know it can cause issues with absorbing signals on carbon fiber quadcopters. But in this case, that would be helpful.

Yeah, its not as effective but it'll work if you don't have a pickup. Less buzz than if you select a single single-coil, but more buzz than a proper humbucker. In the middle.

No, because again the signal is being captured at the pickups themselves. Headphones or speakers doesn't matter. Its part of how the electric guitar even works, before the music signal even enters the guitar cable. The pickups themselves are massive induction coils that will induce any electromagnetism in the air into current. The guitar strings are closer to the pickup than anything else so you'll hear the guitar playing primarily, but other signals will also be picked up too. There's very little you can do about this, other than performing inside a faraday cage. Active pickups like EMGs do really help though, like I said before. They're essentially battery powered humbuckers.

You can't simply build a faraday cage around the pickups because then you couldn't hear the strings. There's no magic bullet solution man.

But I don't want to make you think its going to be the worst thing ever. When you're actually playing music, your playing will be much louder than the buzz. And when you're not playing you can use a noise gate, rocksmith automatically uses one most of the time. So its just a matter of signal-to-noise ratio, ideally you'd get that buzz really quiet, but since you're a new player you probably won't even notice it all that much. You're going to be playing notes that aren't strong anyways, squeaks and stuff are gonna happen. :shrug:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Hmm, I was under the assumption from a previous post that the noise tended to come from the speakers. But if its mostly from switching power supplies, transformers, and other high powered devices, then yeah, head phones wouldn't help in the slightest.

I am a bit curious what the radiation/sensitivity pattern of the pick ups are. And if it would be possible to design one with a high gain, narrow beam aimed at the strings. But I suppose the common mode reduction design of the humdecker is most effective for dealing with back ground noise.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Headphones can help with direct audio feedback but that's usually not a big deal for electrics. Best benefit with good headphones is hearing your output only and not the raw string noise.

Acoustic-electrics can be weird though. If I get enough speaker feedback looping my acoustic bass will actually start to vibrate, it's kind of freaky.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Golluk posted:

Hmm, I was under the assumption from a previous post that the noise tended to come from the speakers. But if its mostly from switching power supplies, transformers, and other high powered devices, then yeah, head phones wouldn't help in the slightest.

I am a bit curious what the radiation/sensitivity pattern of the pick ups are. And if it would be possible to design one with a high gain, narrow beam aimed at the strings. But I suppose the common mode reduction design of the humdecker is most effective for dealing with back ground noise.

You do get feedback from the speakers, but that's usually a good thing. The sound coming out of the speakers will match the frequency of the string (since that's where it came from), and so you get constructive feedback, which if you play close enough to your speaker is one way to get infinite sustain.

Hum is more of a problem because the frequency of hum is a general, static noise. Feedback can be a problem as well depending upon the music, but it can be a good thing too and usually isn't too bad if your amp is far away or quiet. (See: psychedelic rock)

Dewgy posted:

Acoustic-electrics can be weird though. If I get enough speaker feedback looping my acoustic bass will actually start to vibrate, it's kind of freaky.

Lots of acoustic-electrics use a very very different pickup mechanism from electrics. You see a lot of piezoelectric pickups instead of electromagnetic pickups.

But yeah if your instrument has an acoustic cavity then it'll resonate with the playing and with the feedback, and with the feedback that resonation can grow and grow. Music is cool stuff. :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

JHVH-1 posted:

Good idea.

When I picked up the bass at Sam Ash they gave me a 2 year warranty plan with up to 9 free setups for $30 (after coming down on the price of the rest of the gear to convince me to get it.) so probably wouldn't hurt to check the intonation next time I play. Seemed worth it cause a single professional setup costs more than $30, and their tech probably will be more precise at it than I have the patience for.

It's not hard to do, but getting to play one that's been done properly will help a lot, so you have a point of reference

Just bear in mind that when you tune down (especially detuning the entire guitar) you're changing the tension, so the intonation will probably be off when it's set for standard. Guitars are sort of a compromise instrument anyway though, you just have to find a balance of okayness where you can handle the imperfections

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Reading the last few pages has been incredibly helpful in assuaging the variety of issues I was having with my Univox (low-E detection, horrible buzz, etc), mainly by just knowing that everyone else has the exact same problems and it's not just me.

Thanks peeps!

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
for the pc version: must i use the expensive rocksmith branded cable or is there a less expensive non-junk alternative cable? i understand it's made to be proprietary but apparently there is a fix out there?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Avian Pneumonia posted:

for the pc version: must i use the expensive rocksmith branded cable or is there a less expensive non-junk alternative cable? i understand it's made to be proprietary but apparently there is a fix out there?

There is no reason other than DRM that you need the official cable, but $30 for a USB microphone cable isn't that ridiculous.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I know someone who rigged up the ol' line-in hack, apparently it was pure crap with a ton of noise. Eventually she caved and bought a copy with the cable

It's the same cable in every version on every platform, so if you can find a cheap copy somewhere that's always an option

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Aren't there some compatibility issues with the rs1 cable? Thought I had heard that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Still using my RS1 cable, it works fine.