Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I LOLed at the idea of the government favoring the poor over the middle class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

so fascists

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I have a better name for them: WASPs!

-White
-American
-Shithead
-People

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So after today's news dump, is Fiorina the new Walker?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It goes with an idea I've heard bandied around that welfare is a form of demagoguery to bribe people's votes. Usually mixed in with racism about welfare recipients.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

so fascists

Lite fascists, possibly.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

they'll get a little taste of the good stuff and once they do they'll go all in

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Since the rise of the 'welfare queen' narrative there persists a belief that in American society, if you don't work you will be rewarded with obamaphones, free money, and all the food stamps anyone could ever want. They really, absolutely, truly, believe that all you have to do is not have any pride and the government gives you a free ride, and that they are being punished for being productive. Why not just quit your job and go on welfare if it's so awesome? Because they're not one of 'those people', obviously. They really cannot conceive that the business class is poised to gently caress them over at any minute, and that it could destroy their lives.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

this is basically "white people since johnson".txt

poor/middle class white people don't hate social programs, they loving ate that poo poo up pre-great society when it was all targeted at them. rural electrification, for example. once johnson got on the scene and started expanding social programs and targeting them at more severely affected groups (poor inner-city blacks for example), that's when the great cracker revolt began.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Since the rise of the 'welfare queen' narrative there persists a belief that in American society, if you don't work you will be rewarded with obamaphones, free money, and all the food stamps anyone could ever want. They really, absolutely, truly, believe that all you have to do is not have any pride and the government gives you a free ride, and that they are being punished for being productive. Why not just quit your job and go on welfare if it's so awesome? Because they're not one of 'those people', obviously. They really cannot conceive that the business class is poised to gently caress them over at any minute, and that it could destroy their lives.
I was just thinking about the frequency that politicians talk about the middle class versus anyone else.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

These people are a literal paradox of ideas.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

blue squares posted:

These people are a literal paradox of ideas.

so you want a realistic, down to earth government...that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I usually don't read many articles posted in these threads because I don't really have stake in the matter and relying on the general consensus of goons is good enough for me - the relevant parts are mostly quoted in the thread anyway - but reading that link really gives me the idea that you don't need to know how to actually write to be published. That's some juvenile poo poo, aside from the actual sociologist quote. Hmmmm? Really?

E: gently caress, I really should start writing bullshit articles for some cash instead of being an actual productive member of society.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 6, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

oh my god

I wonder if this is finally peak campaign comedy, or if 2020 is going to be ever better.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

:eyepop:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was just thinking about the frequency that politicians talk about the middle class versus anyone else.

They do, and 'poor people are the real thieves' is a huge part of the narrative for middle class folks right now.

thanks facebook

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I'm not entirely sure that Trump's Head Campaign Guido understands basic mathematics... 9X8 is definitely not 26.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looks like we have a filthy mather in this thread.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Looks like we have a filthy mather in this thread.

every single one of notjesus' polls is a treasure

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

pathetic little tramp posted:

Well Chris Christie's done, he just got caught having committed a Hillary and used private e-mail addresses while on government time. He's fighting to use executive privilege to keep them from bridgegate investigators.

Link because I can't find anything.

edit: NVM found it

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/10/05/chris-christie-aol-address/

quote:

Chris Christie is not going to win the Republican presidential nomination. He’s in the single digits in nearly every poll, statewide and nationally, and he trails at least seven candidates. Even a well-regarded second debate from the New Jersey governor hasn’t moved him in the polls. He trails Donald Trump among New Jersey Republicans. Et cetera.

The guy a lot of people thought should run in 2012 is now a 2016 afterthought. That doesn’t mean he’s any less fun to write about. Just yesterday on ABC’s This Week Christie said he would “rather jump off the Brooklyn Bridge than be in Congress.” That talk should win him points with the “those clowns in Congress” crowd!

This comes on the heels of last week, when Christie called residents of Margate "amongst the most selfish people in the state of New Jersey" for opposing a dunes project that would fight beach erosion. He stopped short of invoking the health of Lucy the Elephant, however.

But it's this story from Andrew Perez and David Sirota in International Business Times that's the most fun today. Throughout the Hillary Clinton email controversy, Christie has criticized Clinton for using a private email address to conduct government business.

Perez and Sirota write that Christie, too, has used private accounts.

Christie aides won’t confirm that the governor used private email to conduct state business. But there is evidence that he did: As WNYC reported, the legislative committee investigating the August 2013 “Bridgegate” lane closure scandal uncovered an email that Christie sent to a government official from a private Yahoo account. [...]

International Business Times filed open-records requests for emails between state agencies and both a Yahoo address (christopherchristie1@yahoo.com) and an AOL account (hen84@aol.com) -- the latter of which was listed as Christie’s address on a website for alumni of the New Jersey U.S. Attorney’s office. The agencies indicated they knew both email addresses belonged to the governor, and blocked the release of any emails from the addresses by citing executive privilege.

Yes, that's right: Chris Christie has an AOL email address that references his status as a 1984 alumnus of the University of Delaware. It's nice to see that, when he signed up for AOL in the 1990s, he chose to promote his alma mater's Blue Hen nickname. (The school now allows students the ability to continue using their @udel.edu email addresses after graduation.)

IBT reports the private Yahoo! account is no longer active, while an email to the AOL account produced a read receipt. If he just trumpets his AOL email, maybe Christie can capture the vote of suburban seniors.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/10/05/chris-christie-aol-address/#PJFVCYmZ6w04LOQp.99

Inside Out Mom fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 6, 2015

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

oh my god

I wonder if this is finally peak campaign comedy, or if 2020 is going to be ever better.

there isn't going to be an election in 2020

emptyquote this poo poo from the archives because i called it first guys

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It feels like we've never had an election until this one at least.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why? There are literally more poor Americans then middle class Americans, plus doing/saying token things for the poor may have a knock-on effect from the middle-class anyway.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Voting for Trump to see how he trolls Putin and other world leaders.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

They do, and 'poor people are the real thieves' is a huge part of the narrative for middle class folks right now.

thanks facebook

Unfortunately if you work only 39.5 hours/week then gently caress you.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Goatse America's Enemies

brace yourselves, buckaroos, pull up your asbestos pantaloons because we're about to have a good old fashioned flamewar, geopolitical-strife-style.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

crazy cloud posted:

Voting for Trump to see how he trolls Putin and other world leaders.

Is a full-scale launch of the entire US Nuclear Arsenal considered a troll at this point, or is it now a very elaborate prank?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

The middle class was born out of the early 20th century's as the United States' "Third Way" to avoid class war. Instead of an upper class and a lower class we would have a 'middle class' with an income ceiling and floor. The ceiling of a 90% income tax bracket was dismantled, the floor is caving in - but people with incomes from poverty to 300 grand think of themselves as 'middle class'. Like any dream you have to be asleep to believe it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

thanks facebook

If you're below the federal poverty level you don't pay any income tax. So that's not accurate.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Thump! posted:

Is a full-scale launch of the entire US Nuclear Arsenal considered a troll at this point, or is it now a very elaborate prank?

No that's what we call "Fiorina administration, day 2"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Now that Kochs are looking at Carly. Where is Sheldon Adelson?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Powercrazy posted:

And it won't change a thing.

a shameful boehner posted:

so you want a realistic, down to earth government...that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots
This was the first thing that jumped to mind. Good man.

Didn't Christie talk about prosecuting the poo poo out of Hillary if he were elected? Or was that another one of idiots at the debate?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jewel Repetition posted:

If you're below the federal poverty level you don't pay any income tax. So that's not accurate.

You do. You have to file a 1040 to get a refund/EIC

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

donald trump

is good

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pander posted:

This was the first thing that jumped to mind. Good man.

Didn't Christie talk about prosecuting the poo poo out of Hillary if he were elected? Or was that another one of idiots at the debate?

That was, indeed, former Federal prosecutor Chris Christie.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

Gosh! Really?

:)

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Jewel Repetition posted:

true, also I doubt that dog's worked a day in his life so I don't know what the gently caress he's complaining about

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:eyepop:

RubiOWNED

:drat:

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

These are the people that think college is bullshit because "What the hell use is an English degree?" and mysteriously had a kid and had to start working when they were 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bryter posted:

true, also I doubt that dog's worked a day in his life so I don't know what the gently caress he's complaining about

Listen, he inherited that money just like the Kochs did. You wouldn't call them worthless freeloaders, would you?

• Locked thread