Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Too bad the game's timeframe is too early for Ghost Dance and the Native American Church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about North America is that everything between the Rocky Mountains and the Sierra Nevada is uninhabitable wasteland, yet Arizona is perfectly fine.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Great Basin is a barren hellhole that only hunter-gatherers and Mormons can survive in.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Strudel Man posted:

Frankly, I'm annoyed that the central and south american natives have access to religious reforms that make their religion pretty amazing, while the north americans still need to go christian.

This is on top of the laughable poverty of the entirety of the north america - I guess somebody said that was inadvertent, though.

Really, I'm rather unenthused with common sense in general. Wish I hadn't dropped the ten bucks, even with the sale.

And yet they will usually accumulate tons of gold because apparently they got nothing to expend on.

So much that around mid-late they will be basically treasure pots, sitting on thousands of gold, waiting for the smart human player to easily reclaim their riches.

I always take advantage of it although it does feels like cheating.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

Getting an event that kills of 90% of your development and shatters your country into several migrating tribes when your government collapses would be fun?

I think there could be a way to do it. You'd probably have to do it with a bunch of narrative style events, maybe closer to CK2's way of doing things. But I am of the minority opinion that just about every polity should be straining at the seams with internal issues anyway, and your actions should be driven by the need to control your internal politics.

Honestly I'd be tempted to scrap the Colonial Conquest CB, and then give it out based on event chains involving CNs, and maybe some extra for the Spanish Conquests of Mexico and Peru. Have things be more dependent on event interactions between the indigenous population and settlers. The Spanish conquests in particular were a very haphazard thing, undertaken with next to no involvement by the crown, and couldn't have happened without a pre-existing power structure in the Americas that the Conquistadors managed to insert themselves at the top of, and I'd love to see that happen more often. It could work for East Asian trade companies too, where wars start local, then escalate.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a decent mod that builds upon the New World North America DLC? I feel like someone would have modded the region to allow for more gameplay.

Also I happen to be taking Native American studies this semester at university, I feel super guilty when I send portugal over to colonize the new world :whitewater:.

I at least try to be super nice and cooperative.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I think there could be a way to do it. You'd probably have to do it with a bunch of narrative style events, maybe closer to CK2's way of doing things. But I am of the minority opinion that just about every polity should be straining at the seams with internal issues anyway, and your actions should be driven by the need to control your internal politics.

Honestly I'd be tempted to scrap the Colonial Conquest CB, and then give it out based on event chains involving CNs, and maybe some extra for the Spanish Conquests of Mexico and Peru. Have things be more dependent on event interactions between the indigenous population and settlers. The Spanish conquests in particular were a very haphazard thing, undertaken with next to no involvement by the crown, and couldn't have happened without a pre-existing power structure in the Americas that the Conquistadors managed to insert themselves at the top of, and I'd love to see that happen more often. It could work for East Asian trade companies too, where wars start local, then escalate.

If that would mean less of the entire Spanish armada filled to the brim with cannons and horses sailing across the ocean every time they decide they hate someone I'm all for it. As long as it's not tied to certain nations and any colonizer could do it of course.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fintilgin posted:

If you go Christian as a native American state you have failed your people and your ancestors and the Wolf Spirit spits on you.

:mad:

EDIT: it is a defacto game loss state

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54dhf98qgg

:colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poil posted:

If that would mean less of the entire Spanish armada filled to the brim with cannons and horses sailing across the ocean every time they decide they hate someone I'm all for it. As long as it's not tied to certain nations and any colonizer could do it of course.

Exactly. I think it should be tied to adventurism on the part of the CNs. If one power managed to establish a dominant presence in the Caribbean, they should be drawn to invading the mainland, preferably without any aid whatsoever from the mother country (outside of subsidies I guess). I'd also like to see Portugal take a more India-centric exploratory path in general. Really I think colonialism is still the weakest part of the game by a big step.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Poil posted:

Getting an event that kills of 90% of your development and shatters your country into several migrating tribes when your government collapses would be fun?

It'd at least give you stuff to do for the first 100 years.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As Poland, what is the benefit of moving the capital to Warsaw? Is there any?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jastiger posted:

As Poland, what is the benefit of moving the capital to Warsaw? Is there any?

Mainly historical flavor. It does however give Warsaw some extra tax and manpower.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Mainly historical flavor. It does however give Warsaw some extra tax and manpower.

Doesn't that gut Krakow though?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Doesn't that gut Krakow though?

Nah. Warsaw is probably better anyway as it's situated deep in your territory and more defensible. It doesn't hurt Krakow at all, strictly a bonus.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Isn't there some event that requires Warsaw be the capital? I could be misremembering.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tsyni posted:

Isn't there some event that requires Warsaw be the capital? I could be misremembering.

There's one about the inheritance of Mazovia that gives base tax in Warsaw and elsewhere and one that gives development cost reduction in Warsaw too

Assuming one or both of those require your capital moved to Warsaw. It's a good idea in general.

Poland is probably one of my favorite starts and is crazy strong, definitely take the decisions to form the Polish-Lithuanian union and then to move your capital.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Probably Emperor passed to some small power like lol Hesse. You have to be 8+ provinces as non-Austria Emperor to inherit during the Burgundian Inheritance.

It's possible for someone besides a large emperor to inherit, it's just extremely rare. Austria was the Emperor.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ah good to know. This game is really pissin me off with the battle aspect though. I have equal forces we both have generals, I have a higher tech infantry unity and they still kick my rear end. I don't understand what the hell I need to do in order to get this together.
It's so frustrating to have a huge army and have it die to a much smaller one.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

Poland is probably one of my favorite starts and is crazy strong, definitely take the decisions to form the Polish-Lithuanian union and then to move your capital.

It really is amazing. You can feed Lithuania over and over and over, until they are giant, and then integrate them for free when you can become the commonwealth. Seems incredibly overpowered, haha. It's a really fun start.

Jastiger posted:

Ah good to know. This game is really pissin me off with the battle aspect though. I have equal forces we both have generals, I have a higher tech infantry unity and they still kick my rear end. I don't understand what the hell I need to do in order to get this together.
It's so frustrating to have a huge army and have it die to a much smaller one.

Post a screen shot of the battle screen so we can see exactly what's going on. There are lots of factors like terrain (biggest one often) or just a country's national ideas/regular ideas that can give them big bonuses in battles.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tsyni posted:

It really is amazing. You can feed Lithuania over and over and over, until they are giant, and then integrate them for free when you can become the commonwealth. Seems incredibly overpowered, haha. It's a really fun start.

Poland also has very good military NIs, free Westernization from taking Danzig which you need to form the Commonwealth anyway, and the possibility for some lucky PUs due to your elective monarchy.

Larry Parrish posted:

It's possible for someone besides a large emperor to inherit, it's just extremely rare. Austria was the Emperor.

code:
# Emperor
			if = {
				limit = {
					emperor = {
						OR = {
							NOT = { war_with = BUR }
							NOT = {
								any_owned_province = {
									controlled_by = BUR
								}
							}
						}
						OR = {
							AND = {
								tag = HAB
								num_of_cities = 6
							}
							num_of_cities = 8
						}
					}
				}
				set_country_flag = bur_eligible_emperor
So if Austria is at war with Burgundy and Burgundy controls an Austrian province, the Emperor gets skipped. Or if the Emperor is not Austria and less than 8 provinces. Right?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Fister Roboto posted:

If you know what you're doing and prepare with the right ideas, you can survive and thrive after first contact. The most important thing is westernizing and getting the event to switch to Christianity ASAP, which will remove the colonizers' casus belli and desire to go to war with you.

e: although, I do thing the NA natives need a bit of a redo after Common Sense, since most of their buildings are still balanced without the changes in mind.

I'm aware that it's technically possible to survive as a NA native, and I wouldn't even consider them the hardest start in the game. However, they're boring as poo poo and not even a little bit worth the effort. Especially when Mexico and the Inca are actually fun.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tsyni posted:

Post a screen shot of the battle screen so we can see exactly what's going on. There are lots of factors like terrain (biggest one often) or just a country's national ideas/regular ideas that can give them big bonuses in battles.

I already got rid of it and reverted saves. I attacked the province Osterode from Plock. It shows no rovers. Woods to grassland. We both had generals, we both had 22 units. I had 7 of those units as cavalry and I think he had like 3. My units morale plummeted immediately even though I'm full paying them all. I just don't understand. :( I only seem to win battles when I out number 20 to 1.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jastiger posted:

I already got rid of it and reverted saves. I attacked the province Osterode from Plock. It shows no rovers. Woods to grassland. We both had generals, we both had 22 units. I had 7 of those units as cavalry and I think he had like 3. My units morale plummeted immediately even though I'm full paying them all. I just don't understand. :( I only seem to win battles when I out number 20 to 1.

If your morale dropped like a rock the obvious suspect is not having full army maintenance, so double check that you were paying in full for them and they need a few months to recover full morale. So if you were at low maintenance, went to war, then turned maintenance to full you need a few months for your armies to regenerate to full morale.

The other big issue would be if you were behind on technology. Did they have a couple of Military tech levels ahead of you?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pellisworth posted:

If your morale dropped like a rock the obvious suspect is not having full army maintenance, so double check that you were paying in full for them and they need a few months to recover full morale. So if you were at low maintenance, went to war, then turned maintenance to full you need a few months for your armies to regenerate to full morale.

The other big issue would be if you were behind on technology. Did they have a couple of Military tech levels ahead of you?

I don't know how to check that I JUST got Eastern militia which is an upgrade and all of my armor was that.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

I don't know how to check that I JUST got Eastern militia which is an upgrade and all of my armor was that.

Who are you and who are you fighting? They could also have a national idea, or just an idea, that gives them a bonus to moral, which would account for your moral just dropping.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tsyni posted:

Who are you and who are you fighting? They could also have a national idea, or just an idea, that gives them a bonus to moral, which would account for your moral just dropping.

Tectonic order. We both have a 5% bonus to morale. I just don't understand. Hmmm.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Not trying to be rude but it is really going to help us if you post some screenshots.

Here are a couple of things to check out your next game:

I've highlighted two important bits of information. In the lower left, the crossed swords and gear symbol mean Military Tech, so the Teutonic Order is at military tech level 3. You can get more detailed info on all their tech advancement and ideas in the diplomacy menu too but this is the easiest way. Don't spend your Military points on anything but technology early on, you really want the same tech level as them, being 1-2 behind is going to hurt.

The other thing I've highlighted is the vertical morale bar for the 20-stack army in the middle of the map. Yellow means low maintenance, the full green bar here means my army is fully maintained and at full morale. Once you go from low to full maintenance it will take a few months for the green morale bar to fill back to full, and after battles you will also see a red portion of the bar telling you how much their morale has been depleted. You want to go into battle with a full morale bar.

Edit: basically if you are the same military tech and full morale and slam two armies together of roughly the same size you should have a decent chance of winning. I'm almost certain it's not an issue with military bonuses from TO's NIs, you are probably either behind on tech or not fighting at full morale.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 5, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Tectonic order. We both have a 5% bonus to morale. I just don't understand. Hmmm.

The other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the dice just fucks you hard. It can be very frustrating. Near the start of the game I rarely attack armies with equal numbers straight on unless I know I have some kind of advantage, like a military tech above them that has a tactics increase in it. In other situations I'll wait until I outnumber them, try and get them to attack me in the mountains or in the woods, wait for my ally to attack them, and so on and so forth.

Like the other poster said a screen shot would be infinitely useful here. Next battle pause at the start, take a screen shot and then show us, and we can break it down for you much better. There are a lot of moving parts so it can be challenging until you get a handle on everything.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tsyni posted:

The other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the dice just fucks you hard. It can be very frustrating. Near the start of the game I rarely attack armies with equal numbers straight on unless I know I have some kind of advantage, like a military tech above them that has a tactics increase in it. In other situations I'll wait until I outnumber them, try and get them to attack me in the mountains or in the woods, wait for my ally to attack them, and so on and so forth.

Like the other poster said a screen shot would be infinitely useful here. Next battle pause at the start, take a screen shot and then show us, and we can break it down for you much better. There are a lot of moving parts so it can be challenging until you get a handle on everything.

I reloaded the game and will try to get an even larger army this time and will take screen shots.

I notice that the armies have a little bitty skull on the bottom right hand, near where the morale bar is. What does that mean?
How can I tell what the terrain will do? What is good what is bad? How can I tell if a river crossing is involved BEFORE I do it?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jastiger posted:

I reloaded the game and will try to get an even larger army this time and will take screen shots.

I notice that the armies have a little bitty skull on the bottom right hand, near where the morale bar is. What does that mean?
How can I tell what the terrain will do? What is good what is bad? How can I tell if a river crossing is involved BEFORE I do it?

The skull icon is attrition. You will lose a small percentage of your army to attrition every month they are in enemy territory. Different terrain and conditions make attrition worse, like in the winter. This isn't something to worry about for battles, it's much more long-term.

Above the military tech icon in the screenshot I posted is the little picture of the terrain, hover over it and it will say "-1 dice roll to attackers, -10% combat width, etc." for now just worry about the dice roll. Don't attack into unfavorable terrain unless you can avoid it.
There are little river icons above the terrain picture that will tell you which provinces have a river crossing with the one you've selected.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Alright I tried again and have even more questions.

They brought in a 20 stack of guys and took the provinces you see in about 30 days. It took me three times as long to liberate it with a 29 stack. What the gently caress?!

Here are the values you can see with the shots. I ended up taking their province.....after they took 4 or 5 of mine.

I ended up losing that last battle. I was very close to defeating the enemy army, but of course i took me 3 units to their 1, and then they had a massive reinforcement from behind that ended up costing me my capital province.

I note they are at tech level 5. How do you gain tech faster? How do I get more points for that? Do I want HIGHER or LOWER numbers for when I'm besieging? I don't understand how the turn modifiers work and if they carry over or not.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

The moment you upgrade your troops their morale drops to 0. If you had just upgraded your troops in the same month as the battle happened then that is the reason why your morale was so low. You shouldn't fight within 3 months after upgrading your troops.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

The skull icon is attrition. You will lose a small percentage of your army to attrition every month they are in enemy territory. Different terrain and conditions make attrition worse, like in the winter. This isn't something to worry about for battles, it's much more long-term.

Above the military tech icon in the screenshot I posted is the little picture of the terrain, hover over it and it will say "-1 dice roll to attackers, -10% combat width, etc." for now just worry about the dice roll. Don't attack into unfavorable terrain unless you can avoid it.
There are little river icons above the terrain picture that will tell you which provinces have a river crossing with the one you've selected.

Yeah, precisely, here are some pics:

When you have an army selected and are next to the province you want to know about, when you mouse over the province you will get a tool-tip telling you whether it's a river crossing or not.

Select a province, mouse-over the background pic at the top and it will show you the terrain's effects.

Mouse-over the river icon in the top right near the X and it will tell you which provinces cross a river to get to the target province.

You can mouse-over everything in the combat screen. The moral one gives a good breakdown of everything affecting moral. You can mouse-over general names to see what their modifiers are as well.

Attrition, tells you how many men you can have in a province before you start losing them and how many you use lose a month. You can also see the supply limit in the county info screen.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

They brought in a 20 stack of guys and took the provinces you see in about 30 days. It took me three times as long to liberate it with a 29 stack. What the gently caress?!

Here are the values you can see with the shots. I ended up taking their province.....after they took 4 or 5 of mine.

I note they are at tech level 5. How do you gain tech faster? How do I get more points for that? Do I want HIGHER or LOWER numbers for when I'm besieging? I don't understand how the turn modifiers work and if they carry over or not.

Your first screen shot is broken. If they took the province in 30 days and it took you a long time to take it back it means that you had a fort there that was mothballed, so it had 0 garrison. Any province without a fort, or with a mothballed fort takes ~30 days to occupy. If you occupy a mothballed fort then it gains a garrison and to take it back will require a longer siege. In your second screen shot there is a check mark on the same line as the garrison: 2000 text, if that is checked then your fort is not mothballed. You can tell because mothballed forts have a shaded/darker icon than manned forts. You obviously don't want to have mothballed forts on your front line when you start a war. Forts are worth way way way way more war score so you want to focus on them.

You gain tech faster by not spending military points on generals or quelling rebellions or whatever else you might spend them on. You can get military points faster with a better leader (this is generally up to luck), having an advisor, and some other things that require a long explanation so I am glossing them over for the moment.

For now while you're besieging you really don't need to worry about much, just the general's sieging ability and whether you have enough people to siege the province. Later on the amount of cannons you have plays a role, as well as whether you are blockading the port with ships and as well as certain idea sets.

Tool tips are your friends. Mouse over anything and everything and you'll get a surprising amount of detail about certain mechanics. Poland can be a tricky start for a new player as well. They have the potential to be very strong, but they have some very strong enemies (Russia, Ottomans, Austria...Sweden), and a goofy elective monarchy system that can take some getting used to.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 5, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the insight. What's the best way to avoid rebelliona? I have to constantly spend 50 military scorer put down assholes in a province that want orthodoxy. I'm converting them now...will it stop when they are converted?

How do I catch up to my enemy in military tech? Does conquest help?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jastiger posted:

Alright I tried again and have even more questions.

I ended up losing that last battle. I was very close to defeating the enemy army, but of course i took me 3 units to their 1, and then they had a massive reinforcement from behind that ended up costing me my capital province.

Sieges are super random. Don't worry about the numbers and poo poo for on the seige overview, there's very little reason to know the minutae of how they work but in a nutshell you roll dice at an interval determined by the difference between your siege power and the defender's defensive power and the random rolls make stuff happen which eventually makes you win (the % figure shown is the chance that you will win the siege every time the little green bar fills up). Siege pips on leaders are incredibly influential on siege speed and are usually the main cause of enemy sieges being hugely faster than yours, though good old RNG fuckery will happen. If possible only seige with the minimum troops needed which is 3k men per fort level, i.e. 6k for a level 2 fort, 9k for a level 3 etc. Artillery also helps in its own way but don't worry about that for now. Excess troops other than artillery do nothing for sieges. Attrition while sieging will cause you problems and I notice from your screenshots that you have 0 manpower which is super bad, as it prevents you from having full armies and (for example) 9k men spread over 10 units fights worse than 9k men in 9 units.

Broadly speaking in EU4 you should conduct wars by playing defensively until you know that you have enough of an advantage to be able to suffer the negative impact of going on the offensive (attrition, reduced reinforcement speed). You don't usually lose anything by waiting for the enemy to come to you and in an even fight this can give you a significant advantage.

Oh and don't be afraid of using mercenaries, they're expensive but they don't use up your manpower, which is incredibly useful in the early game.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 5, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Thanks for the insight. What's the best way to avoid rebelliona? I have to constantly spend 50 military scorer put down assholes in a province that want orthodoxy. I'm converting them now...will it stop when they are converted?

How do I catch up to my enemy in military tech? Does conquest help?

As you fall behind in tech it becomes cheaper for you to get it, so you should catch up as long as you are frugal with your military points and stop spending them. Once you take Danzig as Poland, you can westernize and will be able to upgrade techs more cheaply, you also need something like level 10 admin tech. I almost never spend military points to reduce rebel sentiment, because...it's a giant waste. You have strong armies that will be able to crush single province uprisings. Rebels don't have a chance to spawn until rebel sentiment gets above 50%. Once you've converted the province they will be much happier, yes. If I have a big army I usually like it when rebels spawn because it gives you a -20 rebel sentiment modifier in the affected province and I don't have to worry about them.

Only spend monarchy points if you really, really need to. Like you need to raise your stability because it's in the negatives, or your inflation is at 5-6 and you're broke as hell and need some relief. Or if you're all caught up on tech and you have a giant surplus. Probably the biggest factor in war-time success is having on par or higher military technology. There is nuance there, but starting out that's what you want to focus on.

Also, stationing an army in a province with rebel chance will reduce rebel sentiment...which can be useful if you're not at war. If it's not in the mountains or something I'll usually just let them spawn, however.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 5, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Combat and sieges are pretty hard not very intuitive, despite the leaps and bounds they've experienced in terms of becoming more intuitive. It's still pretty hard to tell what's going on.

Essentially, combat works like this: each of your units has a certain level of morale, and each of their units have a certain level of morale. When in combat, both sides' units reduce each others' morale. If one side has higher technology, or ideas or effects that boost morale, discipline, combat ability, etc. then their troops will probably reduce enemy morale faster and their own morale will reduce more slowly (grooooosssss oversimplification but it works).

When a month ticks over and a unit is not in combat, its morale will recover by about 20-30%. This means that after a fight, your units may not operate at peak performance for 1-3 months.

When you upgrade to a new troop type, your morale hits zero. This means that you will probably not win a fight for 3 months.

There's a lot of complexity underneath and this explanation doesn't really do it justice, but it's hopefully a good start. If you're losing a lot of battles, then, you want to look at it like this:
  • Are my ideas, technology, or effects worse than theirs? Then I need to bring more troops.
  • Is my morale low? Then I need to wait a few months.
  • Is my manpower zero? Then I should probably quit the war (or hire mercenaries). When you're first starting out you probably should quit the war. Handling low manpower involves understanding how unit strength works, consolidating regiments, etc. and can be pretty daunting at first. Play large countries that a) are not Austria and b) do not have to invade Russia and you should be okay.

Sieges, on the other hand, are a series of dice rolls. Each siege pass (roughly one month) the game rolls a number between 1 and 14. If the combined total of that number and the various siege modifiers (number of artillery, leader siege skill, whether or not there's a blockade, etc.) is greater than 20, the siege is won.

One very important thing is that if the dice are high, but not high enough to win the siege outright, then something called "siege progress" increases by 1 to 3 points. This is also added to your roll. So, the longer you siege, the higher your rolls (usually). If you roll really low, then your siege progress doesn't go up. Your rolls are determined by your other factors, so if you are sieging a strong fortress on the coast and you have no artillery and your leader has no siege ability, your chance of getting a roll high enough to advance the siege progress is low. These sieges can stall out forever.

On the other hand, if you have artillery and a leader who is good at siege, this siege progress can ramp up really quickly.

Here's a rule of thumb: if your chance at the siege when you first start is lower than -50%, then your odds of advancing the siege at all are very low. Only siege it if you can afford to park an army on it for a long time. If it's higher than -50% but lower than 0%, you can probably siege it but it will take a few months. If it's higher than 0%, the siege will probably be a breeze and the fortress will be really easy to capture or recapture. Again, huge oversimplification, but hopefully it's a good starting point.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

I got beaten on most of the other points but I'm just going to write a ton of words about this combat shot.

So first of all you attacked into highlands, which means that you take a -1 on all rolls. Even with your better discipline and morale, you're effectively doing 10% worse every phase. Ideally you want to attack them while they're in plains or bait them into attacking you in worse terrain - if you hover over the picture of the terrain you can get a breakdown on what effect it has.

The real problem is a little more indepth. Right underneath your morale bar you can see the two rows with pink dots. That's how your troops are distributed, and right now you don't have the width to use all those troops. Tech is the only thing that really improves it, but attacking into bad terrain can limit it. Highlands, again, are terrible to attack into and have a 25% penalty. So right now all the troops in the back row can't actually reach the front line, and because they're still in the battle they're losing morale just like the other guys.

Additionally to that, there's around 20 odd regiments for your infantry, but you only have 12510 actual infantry men. So of the troops actually on the front line, they're probably fighting at half strength. You can consolidate your regiments before or after a fight to get them back up to fighting strength, and can choose if you want to keep the empty regiments around. You can then split them off and send them someplace safe to recover but be careful of your manpower and money, sometimes its easier to just take the loss and rebuild them when you have a surplus.

Basically, you lost the battle due to attacking into bad terrain with half-strength units, effectively again only using half of them in the battle. And probably some bad rolls.

Ideally, assuming you could have 29 regiments again you would want two 10/4 inf/cal armies. That way if you were to repeat that attack you could hold off on attacking with the second when your morale hits around half, so they'll come in with full morale and (hopefully) swing the battle in your favor.

I think that's all correct but someone who knows better will be around shortly to tell me I don't actually know how anything combat related works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Star posted:

Switzerlake makes you do horrible things :negative:

For some reason everyone does Switzerlake the hard way.

• Locked thread