Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A ticket came in:
A clients ISP is doing network maintenance tonight and is just notifying all technical contacts. Something we typically get, nothing out of the ordinary usually.....

Except this time they attached their newsletter group that sends to all technical contacts in the CC instead of BCC and I guess they have default/open permissions on it because I just got over 50 emails from people doing Reply All within about 5 minutes.

Also their auto-ticket responder is deep in conversation with our auto responder. I feel like fixing the loop would be rude to the burgeoning relationship over the last 10 tickets it has opened on their end somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dragyn posted:

Today's XKCD is on-topic: http://xkcd.com/1586/

Seriously - the problem literally didn't start happening until he sat down. He said "Maybe it's me?" and I was half-joking when I agreed with him. I sat there an inordinately long amount of time Friday trying to make it happen and it didn't.

Comedy pacemaker option.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in:
:psyduck:

You work with literal idiots.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
It never ceases to impress me, the level of common sense users exhibit.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Seriously - the problem literally didn't start happening until he sat down. He said "Maybe it's me?" and I was half-joking when I agreed with him. I sat there an inordinately long amount of time Friday trying to make it happen and it didn't.

Comedy pacemaker option.

Check the keyboard cable for ferrules, if it doesn't have one then I am going to go with the phone interference someone proposed, except it's his phone.

Or insulin pump. Or pacemaker.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It never ceases to impress me, the level of common sense users exhibit.

LIKE and SHARE if you AGREE

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

larchesdanrew posted:

LIKE and SHARE if you AGREE

Thats a good start, but it needs a Minion on the side- then we will be in business.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Just Offscreen posted:

Thats a good start, but it needs a Minion on the side- then we will be in business.

Does it help that I literally just pulled that from my facebook feed?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

larchesdanrew posted:

:downs: Yeah, I put a towel over it. There's no way it could get wet.

Larch you get the best tickets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Comedy pacemaker option.

Are you definitely sure he isn't kicking the wire when he sits down? Because that's the most obvious option. Like, it seems more probable that he's doing something with the desk in that room that is different in the other room, than bizzare EM inteference or suchlike.

That said my mouse keeps cutting out at random which is solved by plugging it into another USB port. Including the port that previously rejected it yesterday :/

So it might be ghosts. Cat ghosts in my case.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 5, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Piece of cake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7MIJP90biM

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Segmentation Fault posted:

he suggested moving the phone away from the keyboard

Seconding this, strangely enough. Does he charge the phone using the computer? Does the issue recur if he uses an external source?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

JosephSkunk posted:

Seconding this, strangely enough. Does he charge the phone using the computer? Does the issue recur if he uses an external source?

Definitely not kicking the cable. Tower's on top of his desk and the cable runs behind his desk and then back up to the tower - it's not in a position to be kicked. I actually heard /saw Windows do the USB disconnect sound effect while we were talking about it and he was standing there.

Phone isn't charged from it or at least wasn't being charged when all this happened. His VOIP phone is maybe two feet from the tower and a foot away from the monitor.

Anyway fingers crossed about a powered USB hub didn't have any in stock so one should come in later this week to try..

Honestly I'm just glad everyone else is as curious as me and that whatever is causing this isn't incredibly obvious.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Alighieri posted:

A ticket came in:
A clients ISP is doing network maintenance tonight and is just notifying all technical contacts. Something we typically get, nothing out of the ordinary usually.....

Except this time they attached their newsletter group that sends to all technical contacts in the CC instead of BCC and I guess they have default/open permissions on it because I just got over 50 emails from people doing Reply All within about 5 minutes.

Also their auto-ticket responder is deep in conversation with our auto responder. I feel like fixing the loop would be rude to the burgeoning relationship over the last 10 tickets it has opened on their end somehow.

I cannot stop laughing at this. I'm crying.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

Stupid reporter poo poo

This would be a good time to talk to your GM and get all the reporters together for a little demonstration.

1 - Take all reporters outside, have 2 boxes set up - one for ponchos, another with cloth bathrobes
2 - Grab offending towel reporter, dress in poncho, dump water on him, watch water slough off normally
3 - Change to bathrobe, dump water again, let it soak in so his poo poo gets drenched

"Do you understand your stupidity now, jackass?"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ozz81 posted:

This would be a good time to talk to your GM and get all the reporters together for a little demonstration.

1 - Take all reporters outside, have 2 boxes set up - one for ponchos, another with cloth bathrobes
2 - Grab offending towel reporter, dress in poncho, dump water on him, watch water slough off normally
3 - Change to bathrobe, dump water again, let it soak in so his poo poo gets drenched

Write "BUFFALO" on the bathrobes.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Instead of using the reporter use the buffalos instead! Kill two birds with one stone. Then watch has he orders Chinese knockoff nas units and says these will work even better! :suicide:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

deimos posted:

What year is this?

Sadly, I've worked at multiple places that used no source version control at all, followed by me badgering them until they started using it within a week or 2.

I've only worked at one place with Git instead of SVN so far, and The Other Team at my current workplace uses TFS.

Only one place used CVS, and we ended up not working with them because they wanted a team of 2 developers to create a full-fledged realtor webapplication in 3 months :v:

larchesdanrew posted:

Supervisor's catch-phrase is alive and well.

One of our creative designers came down to pick my brain about backup options for their department. I suggested Synology if they wanted something in-house, or a cloud service like Google Drive or AWS. We were discussing their options when supervisor walks by and has his little ears prickled by the sound of someone making a decision without his input. He blasts into my office and immediately starts bellowing as I was mid-sentence.

:v: "You're currently using about 8TB of space so-"
:downs: "What are y'all talking about?"
:v: "We're discussing backup options for the Promotions department.
:downs: "What are you telling him?"
:v: "I suggested a Synology for in-house storage and a few cloud options. It'll depend on what their budget is and how they want to use the data."
:downs: "You don't need all that. We'll just get you a Buffalo! They're really cheap!

At this point, the creative designer and I both broke out in simultaneous raucous laughter. He, due to the absurdity of a Buffalo NAS unit for data retention, and I because my mind has finally snapped and I am beginning my slow decent into madness.

Regardless, we literally laughed him out of the office.

It was beautiful.

:golfclap:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nexxai posted:

"built 12:00:35, Nov. 19, 2004"

:stare:

When you do something right the first time, you don't need to change it up every 10 years.

(This was a seriouspost, by the way.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Until you're like the manufacturing engineers here who asked me for ATX motherboards that have ISA slots.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

:confused:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Poncho can also refer to a clear, plastic, hooded version of that meant to act as a disposable raincoat. Ambiguity is fun.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

tomapot posted:

A ticket came in: my headrest entertainment system is not working. Can you send someone to 30,000 feet ASAP, this is affecting (movie viewing) production.

ARE TERRORISTS ARE TRYING TO HACK THE PLANE????

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

ARE TERRORISTS ARE TRYING TO HACK THE PLANE????

Seems like they are going to execute someone?!? :ohdear:

e: AND abort someone!!

Also it's "dangerous"!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Told supervisor to get our TigerDirect rep to quote a Z-series workstation so I can submit for budget approval.

:downs: Who needs that?
:v: Promotions
:downs: It's not in the budget.
:v: [GM] already approved it.
:downs: Well I haven't.
:v: That shouldn't matter. You don't approve the budget for other departments.
:downs: Yes I do. Besides, a z-series isn't any better than something we could build. The other Z-series we have in weather aren't anything special.
:v: They've been running, problem free, for over 4 years. The one time we had an issue, HP replaced the component overnight. They aren't anything special because they're four years old and designed for building Weather rundowns.
:downs: I may have $700 for an editor budgeted for 3rd quarter. We'll just see what we can throw together from an older editor.
:suicide:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

larchesdanrew posted:

Told supervisor to get our TigerDirect rep to quote a Z-series workstation so I can submit for budget approval.

:downs: Yes I do. Besides, a z-series isn't any better than something we could build. The other Z-series we have in weather aren't anything special.
:v: They've been running, problem free, for over 4 years. The one time we had an issue, HP replaced the component overnight. They aren't anything special because they're four years old and designed for building Weather rundowns.
:downs: I may have $700 for an editor budgeted for 3rd quarter. We'll just see what we can throw together from an older editor.

So why do you work in places like this and for people like that? I'm sorry, but if during an interview someone asks, "What's your storage experience?" and I had to answer, "Buffalo," I'd just shred my resume now.

What are you getting out of your current workplace in terms of career / skillset advancement?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

So why do you work in places like this and for people like that?

Because it's literally the only available job in this field. Don't worry. Im making strides towards getting the gently caress out of here.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

larchesdanrew posted:

"Would you please put it in writing that you approve budgets despite the GM giving his approval? "

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why do you even talk to that guy when you know he's always going to obstruct it or do something completely idiotic?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

First, you should've said "doesn't" instead of "shouldn't". You gave him the power to override what he thought was your incorrect statement. Second, what's stopping you from calling or emailing Tiger Direct and saying something like "hi, I work for <tv station>. <ce> is out sick today and we need to order stuff from you. Who is our rep with you guys?" So that you can go over his head?

You need to use anything that you're capable of to wrestle power from ce's cold, dead hands. Bluffing your way into getting your rep contacts should have been one of the first moves. Once you have the contacts, you can begin telling them to ignore him and his stupidity.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Have you tried playing the opposite game with him? Like "Promotions really doesn't want any more computers right now, they're doing just fine as it is". And then he can respond with a "Like hell they are! Let me talk to TigerDirect and get a quote on a couple of shiny new buffalo NASs and new desktops for them!".

It might be worth a shot.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Have you tried playing the opposite game with him? Like "Promotions really doesn't want any more computers right now, they're doing just fine as it is". And then he can respond with a "Like hell they are! Let me talk to TigerDirect and get a quote on a couple of shiny new buffalo NASs and new desktops for them!".

It might be worth a shot.

Whatever you do, I definitely don't want a raise.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I always crack a smile when I'm reminded of the former co-worker who refused to work at this plant, was sent to the other place we have in this city, and decided she didn't want to work there, either. So obviously they fired her :v:

(In a country where it's still rather difficult to get rid of any particular employee, one should remember that "refusal to work" is grounds for legal termination expressly mentioned in the law. Going on strike or halting work as a means of protest is legal but "I don't like this job so I won't do it" does not fall into that category. I really don't understand what she thought was going to happen.)

e: I don't know why I was reminded of this reading the last page but I was so :shrug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm supposed to be getting my 'big raise' in the next week or two. The boss man said I'd be happy with it, but I really hope it's legit more than another $30/mo.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Why do you even talk to that guy when you know he's always going to obstruct it or do something completely idiotic?

Mostly because he's made himself the single most important person here. He's the only one authorized to talk to our reps, he's the one who's name is on the accounts. I've tried to get things done before and it's always ended in them refusing to talk to talk to me because I'm not him.

neogeo0823 posted:

what's stopping you from calling or emailing Tiger Direct and saying something like "hi, I work for <tv station>. <ce> is out sick today and we need to order stuff from you. Who is our rep with you guys?" So that you can go over his head?

Because he's petty enough to flay me alive, professionally. Everything I've done over his head so far has been all wink wink nudge nudge with the GM, with explicit instructions to leave my name out of it should things go south. Or, I trick either of them into thinking it's their idea. Doing something blatant like going to a rep and bluffing my way into their graces is enough of a kick in the balls to him to end my poo poo career.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

larchesdanrew posted:

Mostly because he's made himself the single most important person here. He's the only one authorized to talk to our reps, he's the one who's name is on the accounts. I've tried to get things done before and it's always ended in them refusing to talk to talk to me because I'm not him.

Because he's petty enough to flay me alive, professionally. Everything I've done over his head so far has been all wink wink nudge nudge with the GM, with explicit instructions to leave my name out of it should things go south. Or, I trick either of them into thinking it's their idea. Doing something blatant like going to a rep and bluffing my way into their graces is enough of a kick in the balls to him to end my poo poo career.

We all know this would be the absolute best thing that could happen to you actually. It wouldn't be the end of your career, just the end of your misery.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Until you're like the manufacturing engineers here who asked me for ATX motherboards that have ISA slots.

There are still new ATX boards with ISA slots - looks like they are aimed at industrial use for older control cards I'd guess.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Baconroll posted:

There are still new ATX boards with ISA slots - looks like they are aimed at industrial use for older control cards I'd guess.

Yeah that's basically what I found. There are updated control boards but change is hard.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Why haven't you moved to Raleigh yet? or anywhere for that matter? At least there you can get another job if yours sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Gerdalti posted:

We all know this would be the absolute best thing that could happen to you actually. It wouldn't be the end of your career, just the end of your misery.

You'd think, but then I'd have to pick up a few minimum wage jobs around here to make ends meet, because there aren't any IT related jobs available other than travelling out of state five days a week to do cable drops. I'd likely default on my mortgage and lose my house, and my already tenuous relationship with my wife would finally crumble. As a guy working as a grocery bagger and weekend cashier at Gamestop, the courts would award full custody of my children to her, which they likely still would if I was making $100k. I'd finally be able to move off and find a decent job up north, but the loss of my family would weigh heavily on me. I'd find no joy in anything, and I'd probably just sit there with the car running in the garage until the sweet release of death envelops me like a warm blanket.

My swimming thoughts will return to that Z-Series Workstation that was the beginning of my end.

I mutter two words as my world finally fades to black and I exist no longer:

"Worth it."

Gothmog1065 posted:

Why haven't you moved to Raleigh yet? or anywhere for that matter? At least there you can get another job if yours sucks.

Because it's not as simple as just moving off. I have to convince my wife to leave her job (which thankfully is killing her as my job is killing me), her family, and her friends to uproot and move across the country. This isn't an easy task, since her first husband made her do the exact same thing and she's regretted it ever since. I have to find a job that will accept someone from out of state and then give me enough time to find somewhere to live and move. I have to figure out what to do with my house, because I doubt I could afford a house payment in addition to my rent wherever I move. My wife will have to find a job wherever we move, which will be difficult since she only has a high school degree, but she does have 8 years of administrative experience, so at least that will help.

I mean, it's something I'm working towards, and it's definitely my plan, but it's not a decision I can take lightly, and it's not something I'm going to be able to do at the drop of a hat. It's going to take planning and budgeting and convincing, but mostly it's going to take time.

Until then, I'm here to entertain much more successful people with my lovely stories.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 6, 2015

• Locked thread